web analytics

This Player’s Absence Has Caused Steve Bruce A Penalty Problem

The absence of Matt Ritchie not only gives Steve Bruce selection issues but also he has to identify a new penalty taker for the next few months. There is not a lot of experience in the squad with penalties.

This is what Steve Bruce said as reported in the Shields Gazette about the penalty situation in Ritchie’s absence.

“Matt Ritchie was our taker. We have to find a new one now. That’s one thing we’ve been doing on the training ground.

“Joelinton took one in training the other day. Jonjo and Isaac smashed them in the top corner, Muto and Schar missed.”

Of these likely replacements for Ritchie, none have much experience in taking penalties. Judging by the penalty shoot-out at Leicester City in the Carabao Cup, both Jonjo and Hayden were not too convincing in their attempts. However, both Muto and Schar took excellent penalties.

Joelinton’s history with penalty taking is minimal at best. Last season at Hoffenheim, Andrej Kramaric took 7 of the 8 total penalties with Vincenzo Grifo taking the other.

However, at Rapid Vienna Joelinton took 3 penalties and converted 2 of them over his two seasons there.

Andy Carroll also did not take many penalties while at West Ham with Mark Noble being their usual taker. Big Andy’s last penalty was in April of 2016, which was a successful one.

With the lack of an obvious choice, we would expect Joelinton to be the penalty taker if we get awarded one in the next few months. Though we wouldn’t be surprised with Fabian Schar getting the nod as he seems to have the perfect temperament for it.

• Trent1211

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:13 PM

Not this time Rob!

• Munster Mag

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:19 PM

Cruel Trent!

• Australian Pie

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:28 PM

Would happily let Schar take them out of anyone besides Ritchie, all about temperament

• dougie

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:34 PM

Penalties isn’t really a problem because we never get them.The problem is getting rid of Rondon and Perez and replacing them with substandard alternatives who couldn’t score in inferior leagues.Its a zombie club with no ambition.The parasite trousers all the money and the pr want us to be gratefull for it.Boycott St James morgue in front of the cameras and we can start shifting the slug.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:41 PM

😉

• Mindshaft

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:45 PM

Not sure why the article mentions Carroll as pen taker – Ritchie will be back fit before him

• Scythe For Bruce

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:51 PM

I don’t get how some forwards don’t practice penalties as part of their daily (or weekly) training. Surely that’s one of the responsibilities of being a striker? Look at how many Shearer racked up. It’s a free shot at goal, so why not practice and be prepared to step up and take one when needed?

That said, I started as a leftback and moved to being a keeper when I sprouted to over six feet when I was a teen, so I’ve never taken a pen in my life. It probably easier said than done to have the nerve to take one in a big game. It’s likely 20% technique and 80% mental strength.

• Scythe For Bruce

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:53 PM

Mindshaft – I’m expecting to see Steve Bruce out on the pitch before I see Andy. We’ve taken a gamble on the lad and I don’t think it’s going to pay off unfortunately.

• Scythe For Bruce

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:01 PM

Here’s an article on Harry Kane and his attitude towards penalties. I don’t like the lad but I admire his commitment to wanting to score as many goals as possible.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:20 PM

Munster,

Is there any other record you can play? No seriously, is there? Rafa’s been gone 3 months now ffs.
    You truly are the most incredibly boring person I’ve ever had the misfortune to come across.
    If you were a wit you’d be half right.

• Munster Mag

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:44 PM

Rotunda if stupid people like you didn’t keep firing rafa barbs at me it wud be a lot quieter on the rafa front. To date nobody had been able to give me a reason why he cannot be criticised. I have praised him often but fools like you chose to highlight the negative stuff I have said, and yes I have said if often. Still amazed he could leave, as a certain narrow minded % of nufc fans wont allow criticism. Remarkable. I presume a certain % of nufc fans were at such a low ebb that the first good manager we got became infallible. Odd.

• Australian Pie

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:46 PM

Broken record player blog comments again

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:48 PM

” I have praised him often”

Give over, you spent 3 years knocking him
    Strangely you dont knock the traitor for doing the exact same things

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:49 PM

Lets see who Jabba drags in as SD auditor

😉

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:03 PM

So Munster. Tarquin. What’s that all about eh? 😉

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:04 PM

Remember all those years ago when it used to be exciting the transfer window ?
    Now were supposed to get excited about the accounts

People have had enough of Jabbas NUFC

• Belfast

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:12 PM

I actually prefer Tarquin.

• Nufc-83

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:20 PM

What do you think about OJ Simpson Toon?

• Belfast

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:20 PM

Toon22

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but is parliament not going after the likes of Steve Dale and Ken Anderson ? Rather than Ashley?

These individuals that have had X amount of companies dissolved and been disqualified from being directors for X amount of years turning up years later and buying football clubs for a pound and carrying on where they left off.

I wouldn’t imagine Ashley would be high on their list of priorities to be honest. There’s plenty more rouge owners in the lower leagues at the moment unfortunately.

• Belfast

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Oldham, Macclesfield, Coventry, Forest etc etc

• Nufc-83

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Belfast – welcome to the PR club my friend.

• Munster Mag

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:28 PM

Frog if you were a bit more intelligent you wub be more aware of all the good stuff I said re rafa , aswell as the negative. But obviously you sit there daily talking to urself with ur hands over her ears failing to hear anyone and talking bo11ocks. The good stuff included results against better teams, low injury count and some really good signings. Fair and balanced you see, to those who care to listen. But not for fawning taliban half wits.

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:31 PM

Parliament are passing legislation to help legislate football

“He continued: “I am aware that the majority of football club owners are committed and passionate about their clubs. They recognise that fans are the pulse that keeps football clubs alive. However, too many clubs are being driven to the ground with no mechanism in place for fans to flag up misconduct.”

All it will take for Jabba to be looked at is someone asking their MP, we have Chi already on his case
    As for grounds to have him looked at we have has iirc 2 fans forums in the last 2 years
    We also have Rangers fans with a grievance with him , and with his dealings with Oldham it seems he is spreading his influence on football

Some here seem to dread it but any hope is good for me

read it here

• Munster Mag

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:31 PM

Belfast, straight into the imaginary shill club of the toad!

• Munster Mag

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:32 PM

22, no chance lad.

• Moonraker15

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:33 PM

The Carroll signing was a pathetic attempt to appease the fans and sell some season tickets.
    We were told he was targeting the Liverpool game for a return and now we learn he hasn’t even started training! I wonder if he’s even on Tyneside at all or continuing his rehab down south!
    Only at Newcastle! The most expensive mascot in the world!

• Belfast

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:33 PM

I would like them to go after Ashley like haha.
    I just can’t see him being high on their list of priorities at the moment. Well I’m just assuming they’ll be going after these conmen in the lower leagues first. Some of the stuff that’s been going on at Bury and Bolton is ridiculous.

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:34 PM

Here is Chi talking about Jabba in parliament

We have at least 1 MP who is on his case, like i have said so many times, email your MP the more the better

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:36 PM

Belfast

I disagree

Jabba has already been brought up in parliament and is currently blighting more than one club
    Im betting that forensic look at the accounts will be done by the HMRC
    Which would , just by chance, help them with other cases against him

Or you could hope nothing happens and he keeps on doing exactly what he likes

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:37 PM

You see

Munster dreads it
    Just like any toon fan hates any idea of Jabba being removed from our club

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:38 PM

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:40 PM

If Jabba has nothing to fear from it why be against it ever happening ?
    If those accounts are so mint he would welcome the chance to prove to the fans he is on the level

Its the chance for people like Munster to prove himself

Lets see what happens
    For me its our best hope to be rid of his as he wont ever leave willingly

• Moonraker15

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Why oh why did we finish up with the only football club owner, possibly in the world, who doesn’t want to win a trophy?

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:42 PM

“The petition I presented is merely a reflection of the concerns and strength and depth of feeling of so many Newcastle United fans who contacted me as their Member of Parliament. I was particularly concerned by the ‘If Rafa Goes, We Go’ petition, knowing how important a role Newcastle United plays in the lives of many of my constituents I do not feel they should have to choose between their club and its ownership. A quick review of social media will show the petition was received overwhelmingly positively received by fans unable to get Mr. Ashley’s attention by other means.

If you read what the legislation is meant to target you will see Jabba is a real possibility

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:44 PM

If created, the body would report to the Football Association (FA) with recommendations for action to address any deliberate financial mismanagement.

See what i mean

He wont talk to us
    Money is missing

Who could help us with our rogue owner ?
    As if they dont and we suffer from it they will be blamed for not acting

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:46 PM

These people like nice big cases to give the impression they are doing something about this

Jabba is a problem to more than one football club, if left un checked probably more

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:47 PM

But lets hope it never happens
    Lets hope he keeps us as his zombie club forever

Its what we all want ?

• Nufc-83

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:47 PM

Let’s look at this seriously for a second (I know that’s frowned upon by most on here).

Mike Ashley is not investing but regardless of what people say on here the club is sound financially and is stable. The article mentions poor communication for fans to voice opinions so there is a chance the fans forum will be started if heat was to come (although it’s starting again I heard already??). Nothing of any substance will happen to Ashley. It’s not a law that says the owner has to pump 100m of his own money into the club every season to keep the fans happy which is what a few people seem to think.

Let’s say the best case scenario happened and Ashley was caught taking millions out of the club through the back door (I don’t believe this but let’s pretend). Do we actually believe the Fatman would be told to sell the club due to his actions? I think that’s impossible surely? If it was illegal he would face prosecution but unless he purchased the club through funds from illegal activities they cannot take his assets from him or force a sale unless the administrators walk through the door which ain’t going to happen.

So in summary do people really believe that Ashley will be forced to sell the club and if so for what reason exactly?

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM

See what i mean

Some posters dread the thought of it

Nufc83

Its not just us he is a problem to, Rangers might go bust due to him
    He is spreading his influence through football
    If left un checked he will end clubs, the legislation is meant to prevent this

Im not surprised you seem to dread the thought of it

• Nufc-83

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM

I honestly still believe that advertising JD sports by wearing Jumpers etc would get to Ashley the most and force some sort of reaction. Everyone has the right to do what they believe in but my opinion is boycotting will impact the team and funds available to spend (unless it was all ST holders).

I hold my hands up though I’ve done nothing with it!