web analytics

Midfielder Wants Bruce To Do Well And Stay At Newcastle

When Steve Bruce joined Newcastle on July 17th, a principal concern of ours was with the mental state of the players. Mike Ashley had disconcertingly failed to agree to a new contract for a manager with towering credentials. The glaring reason for this failure was because that manager, Rafa Benitez, had the nerve to be ambitious.

The day of Rafa’s departure saw many players take to Twitter to offer their gratitude to a giant of the game. A manager who had made most of them much better at their craft.

So when Steve Bruce came in, we feared the players would suffer from the same listlessness that we felt. However, much to our consolation, it did not take long for the leaders of the club to put forth statements in support of the new manager.

After a few weeks of having trained under Steve Bruce, the players were even more forthright in their conviction that they were fully behind this manager.

One of the players who was the first to praise Bruce was Jonjo Shelvey. Shelvey gave an interview after the 1-0 win against West Ham in the Premier League Asia Trophy in which he gushed with praise for the new Head Coach’s managerial style. Shelvey, it seems, likes a manager who will let him know everything he is thinking.

Jonjo has made some more comments this morning about Steve Bruce and his managerial style. He also thinks that some of the criticism leveled at the club is a bit unfair. This is what Shelvey has said in the Chronicle about his head coach:

“It is enjoyable, and I want to see him do well. As a player, he is putting his arm around you if you don’t make the team or make the squad. When that happens, you want them to do well and stay here.

“Eventually he will stick by you because you’ve stuck by him. The criticism the club are getting at the start of the season is just stupidity. It is embarrassing, really. But the lads answered back against a very good Tottenham team.

“We go to Liverpool after that, and we know it won’t be easy. We know we need to beat the teams in and around you, home and away. But if you can nick anything off the big boys, that’s a bonus.”

They did nick a nice win at Tottenham under very dire circumstances. The mood surrounding the club after the Norwich defeat was very unpleasant, to say the least. However, the players and coaches stuck together to formulate a winning plan at Spurs.

That win halted some of the streams of negativity flowing to the club. However, some of the criticism of the club is justified and will continue.

The players and Steve Bruce just need to concentrate on getting it right on the pitch. That is the only area they have control over. After a decent start, they face possibly the toughest fixture of the season.

The focus should be on Liverpool away this week. Despite the difficulty of the fixture, they still need to show up and put in a performance.

• RobLeenio

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:13 PM

Wait, what’s up with Shelvey? He looks weird. Is he in pain? Some kind of morbid rictus?

Oh, that’s what it is, he’s grinning! I never knew he was capable!

😉

• IrishRob

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:15 PM

Looks like hes sucking up to Bruce already because he knows well hes not gonna get back in the first team too easily.

• Mindshaft

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:26 PM

People saying that we still got 44,000 which is more than most Prem teams are missing the point – we were the only home team to have a less than 90% full stadium – I guess it’ll get worse

• toon22

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:31 PM

I think once those on the long term deals chuck it in you’ll see a lot more empty seats

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:37 PM

Et Tu jonjo? Toeing that line and denouncing club critics as stupid? Oh dear. I think that’s the 8k plus of long-suffering fans who are fed up with the club’s shenanigans that you’re talking about there isn’t it?

• lesh

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:05 PM

bettyswallocks

You posted earlier using your usual Daily Heil or Breitbart language and you leave me no choice but to respond.

I’ve said before that the way you describe my leanings are way off the mark and you seem unable to get past the language one’d expect from Daily Mail.

Despite what’s going on in Parliament, your naivety is truly astonishing. Using the word naivety is being kind to you otherwise one could be tempted to label you as stupid – or at worst, you’ve been conned to the point of being dangerous.

Now that’s that correspondence closed as far as I’m concerned.

• bettyswallocks

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:25 PM

Lesh……….. The correspondence is most definitely not closed until you get it into your doubly reinforced thick skull that I will not allow you to label me far right . I have made many efforts to explain that I have no real interest in politics and I do not read The Mail nor any other newspapers for that matter.

The only reason I comment on your political diatribe is that I strongly object to you using this blog as a platform to spread your communist propaganda with no reprisals. You odiously suffer from the disease that prevents people thinking. It’s called Communism.

• bettyswallocks

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:27 PM

Odiously was meant to be obviously but second thoughts odiously is probably appropriate.

• The Wife

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:30 PM

@ Jail

Received and I will look into it.

• The Wife

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:33 PM

Robleenio

I thought the same thing! Is that a grin or a grimace?

😀

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:43 PM

I think arguing about arguing about politics should be moderated. And people who think people should be moderated should be moderated. Oops. Back in a bit. 😐

• Hannibal

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:33 PM

Hey boss I know I’m not in the starting 11 but I think the way you running the club is wrong.

Training is poor, our tactics are poor and many in the dressing room are saying your not good enough to iron Rafa’s suits.

Oh by the way and chance of a start Saturday?

Pointless article, even if a player hated their manager they would never say it publicly just like you and me. It would achieve nothing, maybe just a stick in the reserves or our P45

• Munster Mag

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:05 PM

Nasty jonjo wont be popular on the blog of miseries. Does he not know that he is supposed to:

1. Slag off the owner
    2. Kiss rafa’s ass
    3. Slag off Bruce for being a dinosaur and a traitor?