web analytics

This Early Season Wonder Knows That He Must Overcome Consistency Woes

Christian Atsu has provided Steve Bruce with an unexpected boost since his return against Tottenham. He had just joined the team for training that week after missing all of pre-season with an injury suffered playing for Ghana.

The timing of Atsu’s return could not have been more ideal. Allan Saint-Maximin was struggling with his hamstring injury that he ultimately reinjured at Spurs. Matt Ritchie went down with an ankle injury in the following game against Leicester City.

Christian got his first start of the season against Watford in what was his third straight appearance that week. That was after not featuring or training with the team at all since July.

Christian Atsu– can he continue his run of good form

Christian Atsu also finished last season on a high as he started the final three games in the place of Miguel Almiron who had suffered his own hamstring injury. His last six appearances for Newcastle has been possibly his best run of form for Newcastle.

Atsu has spoken about his return to the team and as well as his performances last week. It seems that he is coming back to full strength after the lengthy lay-off.

He also makes a candid and apt assessment of his Newcastle career so far. Here is some of what he had to say in the Shields Gazette.

“I have been working hard to get back from my injury, and I feel as though I’m getting stronger with every training session and every game.

“It has been nice to be back in the team, and I feel like the sharpness is starting to return.

“The biggest thing for me this season is to be consistent. I have had some good performances with Newcastle, but I know that I need to start being more consistent and keeping my standards at the same level right through the season.

“That’s probably what has held me back in my time at Newcastle so far – I haven’t been consistent enough – and I’m working as hard as I can to try to improve that.”

Christian’s form since he joined Newcastle in 2016 has been patchy at best. He has often struggled with his final ball but also shows flashes of what he is capable of.

His self-examination is refreshing in its honesty. Christian has always seemed to us to be a top professional and a person of high integrity.

Christian also spoke a little about what Steve Bruce is having him do on the pitch. This is how the 27-year-old explains what the head coach is asking of him:

“I’m playing a bit further up the field under the new manager, and I’m happy about that.

“I think it suits the way I play. The manager has said he really wants me to press defenders, and I think that suits me.

“I think it will help me create things, because if the opposition loses the ball, I’m already in front of it, and that makes it easier to get forward and attack. Hopefully, that will mean I’m assisting more.

“I think this is going to be an important season for me. I have been here for four years now.

“I’ve had some good times and played some good games, but I still don’t really think people have been able to see the best of me, certainly not on a consistent basis.”

We have seen some of the benefits of what Steve Bruce is having Atsu do in his appearances so far. Christian has put in top performances in his two Premier League matches this season. If he can maintain this run of form, it would be such a bonus for this squad.

His contract runs out in the summer of 2021. He will be working very hard in the hopes of securing a new deal soon. However, he must continue to remain focused and show the consistency that has eluded him in the past.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:45 AM

John J,
    He knows I’m only pushing, my scores have gone steadily down hill as my tinkering gets the better of me, it will be close at the end of the season.
    I’m normally a Talisker or Laphroag man but I bought a glenlivet 16 last night, try my hardest to make it last till Chrisymas 🙄

• Rotonda heights

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:55 AM

munster

You telling someone ”can’t let it go”

Oh the irony hahahahahha

Better not say that as people will think I’m another Job alt, although jib thought it was wheeze to hack my account recently.

• toon22

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:04 AM

JAF. Is JIB

Hiya JIB

Proper sad really

• toon22

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:06 AM

It’s more of a question of Why

Why does he bother with the alts ?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:06 AM

JfA: Munster, what chances do you think Shelvey has of playing on Saturday/
    Munster:
    Just because I was clever enough to critique Rafa and highlight his negative tactics against lesser teams!!
    JfA: What do you think of the dwindling attendances at SJP?
    Munster: I watched us play Everton and Rafa’s football was no different to FSA, I was brave enough to call that out!!
    JfA: Do you think we’ll hit top ten this year?
    Munster: We should have attacked more against teams like 5under1and, clever guys like me could point that out!!
    JfA: Is it sunny in Ireland today?
    Munster: What a waste of money that crap Scottish bloke was and that keeper, what we could have done with the Murphy money now…………

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:07 AM

pushing?? joshing

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:09 AM

Jail – Bills son is back, What brings you out from underneath your rock?

At last, you give me an easy question to answer…

Your self obsessed delusions.

Simple as.

• toon22

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:10 AM

Hiya Bills

With your “ fair and balanced “ views

😉

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:11 AM

Bills Son Is Back,
    You’re back because of me, how touching!

• martoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:23 AM

MagpieRanger & Jail – re the betting I think they use 3.5 so there can be no doubt or argument what they mean whereas if they used 3 you could argue is it greater than 3 or greater than or equal to 3.

Oh and Jail I’ve played my wild card and rebuilt my team so hopefully the comeback will continue 😉

• geordietom

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:24 AM

jail …

dont mention TOUCHING on here you’ll get jumped on …

😀

• ShearMagic

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:26 AM

Handbags everywhere on this blog. Is it so hard just to talk football?!

• DubaiMicky

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM

JohnJ, with my surname I could never drink Bushmills – it would be sacrilege!

I do prefer Scottish whisky as opposed to Irish whiskey mind you, other favourites are Lagavulin and, weirdly enough, Black and White (which goes especially well with dry ginger).

• geordietom

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:31 AM

what will the score be tonight ? …

i’m going for England to win 3-1…

• carltoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:38 AM

Man United offer 90 million for Declan Rice. How much is Longstaff worth?

• JohnJ

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:55 PM

Have to say I do like Black & White in more ways than one! I visited the distillery just off the A9 But I do also like Johnny Walker as well!