web analytics

Will Injury Woes Foil Possible Move Away For Striker?

Dwight Gayle has been sidelined for the entire season due to a lingering calf injury that just hasn’t responded to treatment. He is a player that Steve Bruce seems to rate and has mentioned will provide a boost whenever he gets fit.

When the transfer window closed in early August, it was revealed that Dwight had been close to moving to either West Brom or Stoke City. However, both moves fell through in part due to Dwight’s wages.

Steve Bruce made the following comments after the window had closed:

“I see a role for him. The disappointing thing is the injury – he hasn’t kicked a ball yet. There’ll always be interest from the Championship.

“I think I’ve tried to sign him three times. But, since I came in, I’ve told him ‘Dwight, get yourself fit, and you can be part of this going forward’.

These comments were made practically one month ago, and Dwight seems no closer to being involved with the squad. We would hope that he can play some part in Newcastle’s season over the next three months before the January transfer window opens.

Dwight will turn 29 next month and has just 2 years remaining on his deal. He most likely will not get a new one at Newcastle. The winter window will be an opportune time to recoup some fees for Dwight.

If Gayle can be sold for between £10-15m that would be a significant boost to the transfer funds available this winter. It would also open up a squad place for an incoming transfer like Hull City’s Jarrod Bowen.

However, this is all going to depend on Dwight returning to full fitness by January. It seems that there may be some interest in Gayle this winter.

West Brom manager Slaven Bilic has made the following comments as published in the Shields Gazette:

“It would be brilliant for me to have another striker, but then again you can’t have them focused [if there are too many].

“We are okay. Now, for this moment we are having a few players who can’t make the squad. With the new signings, I’m telling the agents and the people who are calling, I’m saying ‘listen: give us the player, so we can check him’.

“If there was a one-off situation, if it’s a young player and we can use him, then okay – we’d consider it, but basically we are okay until January.”

Though West Brom brought in two strikers this summer in Kenneth Zohore and Charlie Austin, neither are similar players to Dwight Gayle. Interestingly, Bilic mentions that they are fine until January.

Gayle would be a fantastic winter addition for a Championship squad looking for a promotion push in the second half of the season. However, for Newcastle to get a reasonable fee for him, he needs to get this calf problem sorted.

Though Gayle will also have to be willing to move, which was an issue this summer. We’ll have to see how the next three months pan out with Dwight. If he is only going to remain on the fringes at Newcastle, then this January will probably be the last opportunity to cash in on him.

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:40 AM

Man United offer 90 million for Declan Rice. How much is Longstaff worth then ?

• beermonkey

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:44 AM

martoon

where is that story from

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:47 AM

A ya talking to me? Twitter

• beermonkey

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:48 AM

sorry carltoon

• geordietom

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:49 AM

west brom looking to sign Gayle in january …

Carltoon if Longstaff didn’t get injured last season may’be he would be worth 50 million , Longstaff is’nt the same player at the moment not like when he burst on the scene but he’s young and will only get better …

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:49 AM

Ha ha I sound like Robert Deniro.

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:52 AM

Pity about the injury. Although if he hadn’t had the injury he would have probably been sold.

• geordietom

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:56 AM

Carltoon …

ya talking to me …

yeah pity about his injury but the upside of it is he didn’t get sold , west ham sell rice for 90million then they buy Longstaff for 50 million can see it now in the jan window …

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:04 AM

That sounds about right Tom.

• IrishRob

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:06 AM

I dont care where it’s written or who said it, but I’m saying it now, there is no way in hell any team is gonna pay 90M for Rice. Hes worth about 20M and in today’s Market that means he’ll be sold for 40-50M. That’s a long way off 90M.

• Mindshaft

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:12 AM

Can’t see why we would sell Gayle when we’re desperately short of a striker – I’d rather sell Muto who has basically done jack shit since he arrived

• martoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:12 AM

beermonkey @2 – Should I be offended or flattered? 😉

• RobLeenio

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Martoon, probably best off pretending you’re flattered – Carltoon is connected!

😉

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Martoon you should be flattered.

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Rob! Ya talking to me.

• RobLeenio

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:16 AM

If Declan Rice is worth ninety million, surely we must be worth at least a million each. I reckon I have to be at least one ninetieth as good as him.

• RobLeenio

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:18 AM

I mean, anyone who can kick a ball has to be at least one percent as good as any professional footballer.

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:18 AM

Mindshaft can’t see Gayle being sold anytime soon. This injury doesn’t seem to be getting any better.

• RobLeenio

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:19 AM

Lol Cartoon, I’m hoping you don’t have any random horses heads hanging round.

😉

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:21 AM

It’s a shame Lee Churnley knows better than UEFA elite managers or we could have been rid of Gayle last summer for 15M pounds. In Churnley we trust.

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:24 AM

I get the feeling Gayle doesn’t want To play for us again. I wouldn’t blame him.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:30 AM

So is Gayle going to now just be injured all season and collecting a massive wage? Along with Carroll that could be what near enough 60 or 80k a week that could have went on a fit striker who could score goals such as Rondon……

• mactoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:37 AM

It’s baffling. He’s never injured in the Championship but when he comes back to the Premiership with us he gets another calf injury that doesn’t respond to treatment even though he has been to see a specialist.

• Ron Knee

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:37 AM

“Along with Carroll that could be what near enough 60 or 80k a week that could have went on a fit striker who could score goals such as Rondon……”

Stop being logical!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:42 AM

MACTOON,
    iF YOU REMEMBER HE DID MISS A GOOD CHUNK OF OUR cHAMPO SEASON, i WAS AT THE bRENTFORD GAME WHEN HE WENT OFF, he missed a good bit of last season as well.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:43 AM

Ron/LCBP,
    It’s frightening isn’t it. the ineptitude.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:45 AM

He would have walked top scorer if he’s not been injured, I had a £100 on him at 10/1, also had £100 on us getting record points as well, maybe explains my disappointment in not signing Townsend in the January,

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:14 PM

As much as Gayle did well in the championship season it was ultimately Perez, Richie and Shelvey that provided the goals and assists at the business end and delivered in the big games against Brighton and Huddersfield that were crucial to us winning the league!

He just never seems to be 100% when we play in the premiership so he then starts to doubt himself and his natural game is lost although he was starting to play well near the end of our first season promoted probably the season ended too early for him!!

• martoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:18 PM

carltoon – Ok I’ll be flattered being mistaken for a woman 😉
    Seriously it’s not often we see you on the dayshift?

On topic – Gayle does seem to get a lot more injuries playing for us – he seemed to play most of the season for WBA (except when he got his red card) and I can’t remember him being injured much?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:25 PM

The only time in living memory we haven’t had a treatment room full of injured players was under he who shall not be named, unless it’s by those glad to see the back of him.

We’ve always has injury issues with pacey fowards, Bellamy Dyer Owen now Gayle and I’m sure I’ll have forgot someone.

• mactoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:28 PM

JAIL don’t shout ?

Aye I was more talking about last season with the baggies

• mactoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:28 PM

That should have been a smiley face not a question mark. Stupid computer

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:37 PM

mactoon,
    Been doing my FF spreadsheet and had CAPS lock on, realised halfway through and couldn’t be bothered to type it again 😮

• RobLeenio

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:40 PM

Gayle had a decent season that first one back in the Prem, he played plenty of games and got loads of chances. The one big issue I had with him was how wasteful he’d become in front of goal – those chances he was putting away in the Champo, he suddenly started missing in the Prem.

The only thing I can put it down to is that PL defenders were half a yard closer to him than Champo defenders and the closer attention was just enough to make him less effective.

You expect your quick players to get muscle injuries through the season, it’s kinda par for the course. He’ll be back at some point, but I just don’t expect him to make much difference for us this season, much as I worshipped him in the Championship.

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:42 PM

AC and Gayle weren’t injured playing for us.

Lejeune and Yedlin were injured playing under Rafa.

Ritchie was injured by a horrendous tackle.

Only ASM, that I know of,could possibly be chalked down to Bruce.

As toon22 would say…

Another fair and balanced view from moi.

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:54 PM

Don’t think anyone was blaming the managers, where they? I just think Gayle has come back when he wanted to stay at West Bromwich. Just my opinion. Think he’ll be away in Jan. If he’s fit by then.

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:57 PM

Martoon, I’ve got me chores to do during the day. It’s been very quiet on the Nightshift. EGB been away.

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:00 PM

Hope EGB is back for the countdown to the match.

• mactoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:01 PM

@carltoon #36

I fully expect him to become fit just before the January transfer window so he can get a move. Just being cynical I suppose.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:01 PM

Pretty much as expected he won’t be figuring much if at all for us, doesn’t want to keep going on loan so why bother playing at all, best earnings route is to take two years of decent money then take whatever comes when he’s 31, slower and even more useless. The Fiery Jack Method.