web analytics

Will Injury Woes Foil Possible Move Away For Striker?

Dwight Gayle has been sidelined for the entire season due to a lingering calf injury that just hasn’t responded to treatment. He is a player that Steve Bruce seems to rate and has mentioned will provide a boost whenever he gets fit.

When the transfer window closed in early August, it was revealed that Dwight had been close to moving to either West Brom or Stoke City. However, both moves fell through in part due to Dwight’s wages.

Steve Bruce made the following comments after the window had closed:

“I see a role for him. The disappointing thing is the injury – he hasn’t kicked a ball yet. There’ll always be interest from the Championship.

“I think I’ve tried to sign him three times. But, since I came in, I’ve told him ‘Dwight, get yourself fit, and you can be part of this going forward’.

These comments were made practically one month ago, and Dwight seems no closer to being involved with the squad. We would hope that he can play some part in Newcastle’s season over the next three months before the January transfer window opens.

Dwight will turn 29 next month and has just 2 years remaining on his deal. He most likely will not get a new one at Newcastle. The winter window will be an opportune time to recoup some fees for Dwight.

If Gayle can be sold for between £10-15m that would be a significant boost to the transfer funds available this winter. It would also open up a squad place for an incoming transfer like Hull City’s Jarrod Bowen.

However, this is all going to depend on Dwight returning to full fitness by January. It seems that there may be some interest in Gayle this winter.

West Brom manager Slaven Bilic has made the following comments as published in the Shields Gazette:

“It would be brilliant for me to have another striker, but then again you can’t have them focused [if there are too many].

“We are okay. Now, for this moment we are having a few players who can’t make the squad. With the new signings, I’m telling the agents and the people who are calling, I’m saying ‘listen: give us the player, so we can check him’.

“If there was a one-off situation, if it’s a young player and we can use him, then okay – we’d consider it, but basically we are okay until January.”

Though West Brom brought in two strikers this summer in Kenneth Zohore and Charlie Austin, neither are similar players to Dwight Gayle. Interestingly, Bilic mentions that they are fine until January.

Gayle would be a fantastic winter addition for a Championship squad looking for a promotion push in the second half of the season. However, for Newcastle to get a reasonable fee for him, he needs to get this calf problem sorted.

Though Gayle will also have to be willing to move, which was an issue this summer. We’ll have to see how the next three months pan out with Dwight. If he is only going to remain on the fringes at Newcastle, then this January will probably be the last opportunity to cash in on him.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:07 PM

Bills Son is Back,
    Nobody has mentioned Brewce and his horrendous management of injuries today so what are you blathering on about?

• carltoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:08 PM

Can’t help being cynical. We’ve had our fair share of players who just want the money.

• carltoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM

I see SD is banning all media from it’s AGM meeting. Ooh got something to hide have they?

• carltoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:16 PM

That’s from twitter.

• carltoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:17 PM

Toon22 have you heard that?

• martoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:26 PM

Bills Son Is Back @35 – I understand what you are trying to say but in the interest of correctness Gayle was injured playing for us – from memory it was in the first or second pre-season friendly we played.

• hibbit

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:32 PM

Gayle was injured in China in the last game which was under Bruce

• c-dog

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:40 PM

Sure Maguire went for 90M
    He’s a donkey

The only players in the international set up worth over 50M are Kane and Sterling
    If you want a Rashford or Rice or whoever go abroad and you’ll get twice the player at half the price

• Macas

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:42 PM

Gayle didn’t play in any of the preseason games, he was injured before Bruce got there

• hibbit

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:50 PM

apologizes Gayle didn’t play he had a relapse in training before the final game

• mactoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:51 PM

“Gayle is recovering from a calf injury after sustaining the blow in Nanjing initially. However, the injury recurred at the end of the trip, Bruce said: On the last day in China we thought he was going to be OK. Then he had a setback”

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:51 PM

I wonder if Leicester fans called the owner a greedy barsteward for selling Maguire?

They’ve sold every top player they’ve had since they won the League except Vardy.

They were happy to sell him as well to Arsenal but he decided to stay.

Maddison will be away by the start of next season.

• Munster Mag

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM

Jail

Munster Mag,
    Do you think it’s fair that carl uses all these different alts to come on here and attack me and my family before slithering away again?

Oh give over Jail, you bully people on here ( or try to, in the case of me , Billson, Jib and others) and then come back whinging? How did he attack your family ? Someone said you were self obsessed earlier. Very accurate.

• Moonraker15

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM

Anyone else hear Michael Owen and Sam Allardyce on Talksport this morning?
    Owen who is such an arrogant prick says, “why wouldn’t I want to play in the last game of the season v Villa and save Newcastle from relegation”?
    Cos you didn’t want to get injured and stop your free transfer to Man Utd., that’s why you to$$er!

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:59 PM

Gayles full of shite, no medical professional can find anything wrong with him, beginning of Dec he will make a miraculous recovery from nowhere to be available for the transfer window.

• Munster Mag

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:03 PM

Rotunda, I didnt have you down as stupid but I’ll have to revise that. In the last poting I explained loads of Rafa positives, which i posted for the last 2-3 years , as I have down so many times for stupid people who just wont listen. I agree, I highlighted negative stuff more than other posters, partly because I was constantly under attack from you and others. And thats why the whole thing got legs. I didnt want him to go as Bruce isnt as good, quite simply. But I stand over the ( fairly small number) of negatives I have posted, very little of which has even been disputed by you and others. Essentially if I say black is black I get noisy tools telling me to park it, because they dont like me. Obviously I couldn’t give a damn. I’m correct and will critique Bruce in the exact same way. Its a pity Rafa has gone, but if offered huge money that’s what can happen, especially having a miserable boss.

• carltoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:03 PM

Leicester reinvest their transfer money, we just don’t, until we’re desperate. They’ve got fantastic owners who want to achieve, and try to progress. We’re going backwards.

• Munster Mag

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:04 PM

Didnt rafa allude to a lot of this being in gayle’s head ?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Critique, defecate, denigrate and Donnay and Critique, defecate, denigrate and Donnay and Critique, defecate, denigrate and Donnay, Ariston and on and on.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Bills Son is Back,
    Are you honestly comparing our recruitment strategy to Leicesters, they buy players first, they spent good money before Maguire even went. Nobody would begrudge the club selling players if we weren’t in a continual relegation battle

• carltoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Munster I think Rafa or Bruce said it was? He’s been to a few specialist though.

• carltoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:18 PM

Mind knowing your not wanted can’t have helped.

• mactoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Well Gayle was fit and when asked if the injury was in the past he said, I wouldn’t say that. “Just seeing how it goes and fingers crossed”

Rafa was of the opinion that it was a question of Gayle’s confidence that he could sprint. “It’s not his hamstring – it’s more the feeling that he has. He’s not comfortable”

So you have a player who didn’t want to play because he thought something would happen. Possibly the same situation now. He says he “feels something in his calf” but has now seen a specialist and is set to see a second as it doesn’t seem to be getting any better.

• carltoon

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:36 PM

Just seen the BBC clip of the Kosovo manger. Ha ha just we bit hypo.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:36 PM

mactoon,
    I stand corrected, I thought he missed a lot of last season, I remember him being I hired and just assumed it was the same injury as he had with us.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:39 PM

Injured.

• Munster Mag

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:50 PM

Jail I had him as top scorer too. Maybe if your manager had tried two up front more often, which clearly worked, it might have helped. We would have strolled that league if your hero had shown a little less respect to some if the teams there and ” gone for it” a bit more. After all, rafa had the best team ever assembled in that division by common consent. Critique, balanced. Suck it up Jail. Oh I forget, fair. Accurate. And donnay socks. And slazenger. Niiiice.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM

Yes Munster, you knew best, we had to endure it all season.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:00 PM

Just wish Munster would pass that stone and get back to just being whiney. 🙂

• toon22

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:01 PM

Carlton

Not yet I’ve been busy

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:05 PM

My manager? So he wasn’t yours? But Brewce is and Pardew was, mmm!!

• Bring back benitez

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:34 PM

“Your hero” wow!

The toons hero. What a discrace.

2 up front? When has that worked???

We played 5-4-1 against spurs

• Bring back benitez

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:37 PM

I’ll tell you what as well …

If I hated the “Scouse” as much as I said

Then my son decided to support them, I’d be ashamed.

It’s like my kids supporting Sunderland.

• Bring back benitez

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:46 PM

Jib might of been a lot of things and he should of been banned for his recent comment, but he brought the hits to the website obviously. No wonder he was never banned, same as Tony baloney. They were t£&ts but brought the hits to the site!

It’s like a graveyard without them

• IrishRob

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:48 PM

Rob….. I cant speak for everyone else but I’m priceless. Lol

• IrishRob

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:49 PM

BBB what did Jib say that ye are talking about it so much??

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:50 PM

Bring back benitez,
    Always quiet on the international break.

• Bring back benitez

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Nothing Irish Rob, I’ve run into jib over Rafa, but I bet any money the hit count is higher when he is about

• Bring back benitez

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:54 PM

I agree JFA

But there is always more comments when jib or Tony were on.

Not say the quality is worse, just the hits/comments are higher