web analytics

Newcastle’s International Star Will Never Change The Way He Plays

Fabian Schar has made his return back from international duty after helping Switzerland secure four points towards qualification for EURO 2020. The Swiss defender bagged a goal and added an assist while away the past few weeks.

Here is that wonderful goal that Schar scored against Ireland.

Fabian has been speaking to the club’s official website this morning and, of course, that goal was a topic of conversation. Here is what the 27-year-old had to say:

“I think the goal was quite good – how we played, with this one-touch football, I think it’s nice to watch. Also for me the feeling when we play like this, with the passing and the finishing, was very good, so for me, I think it’s one of the better goals I’ve scored. It was a nice feeling.

“I just try to do what I can, and at the moment, in the last games, I’ve scored some goals. It’s nice if you can help the team with this, but still, I’m a defender and that’s my first job – to defend.

“But on the other side, I’m a player who tries to help the team play with the ball or scoring if it’s possible. I just try to do what I can, but at the moment, it’s quite good.”

Fabian also spoke about his strengths as a player and how he will not change what has made him so successful. When referencing those signature runs from the back, this is what Fabian said:

“I know that the fans obviously see what abilities I have. Sometimes I do, sometimes not, but I think I was always a player with this way of playing, and I will never change it. I’m just doing my job with my strengths.”

We are perfectly content if Fabian continues his marauding ways. With Newcastle having three men at the back, it allows Schar to make those runs from deep. We have reaped the benefit of his abilities many times over the past year.

Schar is back with the squad now as they prepare for possibly the most formidable fixture of the year. This is what Fabian had to say about Saturday’s trip to Anfield as well what he plans on continuing to do:

“It’s probably one of the hardest games in the season, away at Liverpool. They’ve had a really good start to the season and especially at home, they’re always dangerous – I don’t know when they last lost a home game.

“Of course, it will be very, very tough and we need to have a perfect day to get something, but I think we have strengths in our team. We have to put it on the field and see what happens.

“I think the whole year is important – you can always say it’s an important period. You have to try in all games in the season to be ready and to give your best and do your job. That’s what I try to do. The last weeks were quite good, and I’m working hard to keep it like this.”

The game against Liverpool is kind of a freebie for the lads and Bruce. Nobody is expecting them to get anything from the league leaders on Saturday. However, we do expect a committed performance, and after an international break which saw 17 Liverpool first-team players called up for their countries, it may be the best time to play them.

• G

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:15 PM

If we were at SJP I would be more optimistic, however, I can’t see us heading home with any new points on the board.

• martoon

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:25 PM

I’m don’t quite understand the logic of ‘one fine day’ that if you still go to games then you don’t support the likes of TMG. I can only speak for myself but I’ve made no secret of the fact that I’ve still got my ST however I’ve also joined NUST and support TMG with most of what they do.

I just don’t think a boycott will work or have the desired effect but the likes of protests at the SD AGM is exactly the right thing to be doing with maximum effect and publicity.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:27 PM

If Brewcey does a Brucie and nicks a win on Saturday Mashers will have to put ticket prices up for Brighton.

• hibbit

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:40 PM

Jail for Ashley
    And if Brucie doesn’t nick that win,
    a lot more give away’s would be the cards i would say ????

• geordietom

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:58 PM

hibbit …

when i put on about me and the wife going to the cup game i did not do it to take the piss as some are alluding to …

we went as we had allready made plans to go back up north , my wife booked the tickets ect but yeah i enjoyed my few days back in the north east even enjoyed the match but not the result …

• hibbit

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:02 PM

geordietom
    I don’t want to fallout over this but that’s defiantly how it came across,
    i even pulled you over it at the time,

• geordietom

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:07 PM

hibbit …

yeah mate you did which i thought was ok at the time , you also asked me when we came back did mrs geordie tom enjoy it . hibbit not gonna fall out with you what for where does it get us at logger heads on here na mate i just want a peaceful life is all …

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Boycotts no? Protests yes?

I have always given praise to the people that stand there ground but have also said that the players need the support.

It’s a tough one to decide what to do, you support the club through the good times although not so many and the bad times because it’s in your DNA, I for one pay extra each year to watch Newcastle every weekend and support the lads on the pitch, yes from afar but still shout at the TV and cheer and wake up the Ball and Chain when we score.

I just don’t think Boycotts are actually making any real waves, if I’m a billionaire why would I honestly care, I have my money.

Protests I have seen in the past from clubs like West Ham seemed to get more news than anything else, I’m all for protests but Boycotting only gives the owner another excuse why not to invest in the club, I don’t really want MA to have another excuse why not to invest.

If you boycott that’s your right, but doesn’t 10000 plus fans shouting your name at the end of a match at the ground get more coverage and makes a bigger statement.

It’s just my opinion, we all have one, don’t be a hater I’m not saying what you decide to do is wrong, I’m not saying it’s right, I’m just asking which one works better?

• Shadow_Shearer

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:14 PM

I wouldn’t care what anybody else said, if I was Bruce I’d put Schar in defensive mid. I’m confident he could be a very good job there

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:17 PM

The clown,
    I don’t even think it’s a case of people boycotting anymore, I wouldn’t describe what myself and hibbit are doing as boycotting, we’ve just had enough of him taking the pi$$ and have stopped going.

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:21 PM

On this day, 18 years ago…

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:22 PM

Yep same here loads of opportunities to go but won’t do it.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM

I wish people would stop equating people not going to trying to hurt his pocket, he’s a billionaire and it would take ten Belgian governments to really hurt his pocket, it’s about showing that I personally have had enough of being tread on by him.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Ron Knee,
    I flew in to Sydney that very morning and was fast asleep after a few beers and a valium in the afternoon when it happened 😮

• G

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:31 PM

Shadow_Shearer@9. I can see your logic there, however, I’m more for the school of thought, that if it isn’t broken, don’t try to fix it. He’s been doing alright so far as a CB, and although he does look like he has the nounce to be a Midfield Enforcer, I think we have players whom already specialise in this spot that don’t really deserve to be usurped.

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM

Jail

I remember John Lennon & I’m old enough to remember JFK. Are there any other events like that?

• RobLeenio

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM

The Magpie Group haven’t called for a boycott since the Arsenal game, afaik. What we’re seeing now isn’t a boycott, it’s a general groundswell of fans who are disgusted with the way the club has been run for the last decade or more.

As such, it’s self-perpetuating and will therefore grow as time goes along. Sure, there will be times when the ground is full, but they will become less and less common. The Magpie Group can be seen as a more militant section of those same fans, but they are not the instigators of what is happening now.

We’re not alone of course, all clubs are struggling to fill their grounds. Where we were unique was in the fact that up until this season, we still sold out every week, even in the Champo and even when we were playing horrible football.

There was one reason for that and his name was Rafa Benitez. When he left, hope slipped through the door after him and the fans were left in an empty room with a big fat elephant sat in the corner which some hadn’t noticed before and the rest were trying to ignore while they got behind the team.

Now that Rafa has left, there’s no mistaking the stench of manure wafting across from that direction, and the fans are slipping out the back door to avoid it. They’ll only come back once the elephant has been evicted and a new broom has swept the last remnants of its filth away.