web analytics

Steve Bruce Makes Strange Admission About Unrest Surrounding His Appointment

Steve Bruce has always maintained that taking the Newcastle head coach position under the current circumstances was going to be difficult.

From the start, he asked to be judged by results while also inferring that it could take some time for him to make his imprint on this squad.

While it is fair to eventually judge Steve on his performance, the skepticism surrounding his appointment was certainly justified.

However, Bruce will not convince any of his doubters through mere words. It will take wins and performances to turn most of the skeptics among us into believers.

Bruce, to his credit, seems to understand this. There have been a few moments where Steve Bruce has not helped himself in his press conferences. However, for the most part, he has shown awareness that it is up to him to prove he is up for this job.

So far, he has been able to get this team off to a decent start despite a challenging set of early fixtures. The Chronicle have published some of his comments about the start to the season:

“Make no mistake, I knew, early on, it was going to be difficult. I always knew that the start we had is equally more difficult.

“To calm the storm that everybody was riding at the time, getting a few results was the only way really.

“When I looked at the first five games, we’ve got three of the top six. We have got most of the top six in the first nine, so I knew it was going to be difficult.

“Can we go and get a couple more results? That’s got to be the aim and the only thing I’m really focused on and concentrating on because that’s the only thing I can affect.

“The only thing I can affect is on the training ground and making sure that they’re ready and capable and, of course, the result at Tottenham gave everyone a lift.”

Steve was certainly riding a storm after the Norwich display, and we were very concerned after that performance. We hadn’t seen an exhibition that hapless since the Steve McClaren days.

However, to his credit, Steve was able to get the lads focused for Tottenham and essentially pulled a u-turn with that result. Since then, there have been two admirable performances in the home matches against Leicester City and Watford.

Now Steve must get this squad ready for another difficult run of four games before the next international break comes in early October.

While this Saturday’s match at Liverpool is likely not to yield anything positive results-wise – though we thought the same about Spurs; the next three fixtures all represent decent opportunities to get some points on the board.

The match at St James Park against Brighton is a no-brainer, and anything other than three points will see the heat turned back up on Bruce. The following two matches – away to Leicester and at home against Manchester United – could go either way if the lads play up to their potential.

That is where Steve Bruce’s focus must be over the next few weeks. He needs to get points on the board to keep showing that the club is progressing.

Bruce spoke some more on getting results while making an odd admission about some of the criticism that has come his way:

“We had a good week. We played very well against Leicester – lost on penalties – and did OK against Watford. It’s a big occasion at the weekend coming up, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.

“I only want what’s best for the club. I want to try and take the club forward, and the sickness in me has enjoyed it. I’ve enjoyed the stick, and I’ve enjoyed the challenge.

“The more it piles on, the more I seem to enjoy. I hope it wanes a little bit but, in time, a few results will help.”

We are not sure that Steve Bruce should have admitted enjoying any of the stick he has been getting. We hope he can get some results before the next international break, or else he will find himself getting a lot more of the stick he claims to be enjoying.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:18 PM

AncientC,
    I can’t argue with that mind.

• hibbit

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:19 PM

• geordietom

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:23 PM

OFD …

show me the last time i had a exchange with the frog , yeah i keep going on about his incessant rubbish my choice .

gengikai i think i’ve had 2 run in’s with him ..

so seeing your a supporter of the FROG does he go to meetings? does he go on any protests ? …

unlike genjikai who has got off his arse and at least he is making the effort …

taking plenty glee your words not mine . i’ll explain again my wife has never been inside ST. JAMES . i went back home for 3 reasons 1 is what i’ve said above . 2 my wife and i took some of our daughters ashes back home to put in my parents grave . 3. i’ve got 2 sisters 1 brother my family are ( where ) estranged for over 30 odd years so we all got together . did’nt have to tell you but i did …

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:29 PM

geordietom, just as you didn’t have to tell the blog all that you didn’t have to tell everyone you were going to the Leicester game. The way I saw it was that you were rubbing boycotters noses in it just as Jib was when he said he’d be attending the Arsenal game.

• RobLeenio

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Pompous C, it seems a waste of effort to give me any thought at all, given that I’d happily forgotten that you exist.

πŸ˜‰

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:32 PM

RobLeenio,
    For the record I think you’ve been alright lately.

• RobLeenio

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Seems like the Magpie Group and the London Magpies are coordinating their actions extremely well at the moment. Long may it continue. Seems like Ashley’s continuing to shoot himself in the foot and while he is doing, the fans’ groups are taking advantage. Great to see.

• geordietom

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM

jail …

cant help it if read things different to most people , so what jail i told the hole blog . you just cant stop having your tanners worth can you? …

only difference is i dont think Jib went the gooners match …

• RobLeenio

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM

Cheers, Jail, for what it’s worth I think you have too.

πŸ˜‰

• IrishRob

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Jail…..Moanster lol lol lol that’s a good one, but just there is a perfect example.

Nothing munster has EVER said on here indicates he hates Rafa, he simply says hed prefer if he didnt play so defensively, and that hes not convinced we couldn’t do better with a different manager, but he never wanted Rafa to leave, and he certainly doesnt hate him, He simply found the optimism in his Sacking hoping a fresh face might change it up.

And jail I’m pretty sure you know this because you aren’t that stupid, you just dont like the man so you try and make a liar out of him.

Yet you constantly want to tell people he hates Rafa, he has even told you NUMEROUS times that he doesnt hate Rafa but you will be at it again the very next comment saying he does, like you know him better than he does himself.

Munster wouldn’t be half as disliked on here if he didnt have people like you trying to turn everyone against him. I’m not saying hes innocent to be clear (for the third time), but neither are you.

• lochinvar

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:38 PM

Mike Ashey rolls up for the AGM in some ridiculous limo more suited to a teenagers prom party and can’t get it parked.
    Hope it’s towed away, preferably with him in it

• one fine day

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:40 PM

Geordietom
    So many times you jump on toon 22 your as repetitive as he is but without a reason or purpose .
    You jumped in at every oppertunity with your apparently absent friend jib .
    The reasons you went to the game are yours and I respect them as your choice .
    You are correct you didn’t have to tell us why but you did ..several times .
    Will leave you to have the last word on this as I will just end up on the wife’s naughty step again as the subject of TMG and boycotts is about as permitted as religion and politics on this blog .
    But maybe have a think how you may come across as a hypocrite when you next decide to copy and paste
    And as for toon 22 going to protests etc ..no idea why don’t you ask him yourself when not jumping in to slag him off .

• hibbit

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:40 PM

geordietom

i wished you and the wife well going to the Leicester game, but you were taking great pleasure rubbing the noses of fans like me in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM

Hibbit@42

Excellent

πŸ™‚

• beefman13

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:42 PM

Strange unrest?!?! Bruce is deluded.
    This fella is no geordie, we got turned over hurricane style, and yes not the first time of course but this was brutal beyond belief, I class myself as a real good toon fan, but until the hiarchy and Bruce are gone, I am not going back, I of course stuck up many times for the hiarchy, and many on here have been sticking it to them for years, and whilst quite a few may be sniggering away at my view now, remember, i was looking forward to the new season, new owners etc.
    Thing is that takeover craic tipped me over the edge, my question is how are all the others who hate the owner/hiarchy with a passion still fully supporting with season tickets etc, the away fans can be excused cos they are a special breed of fan, but it’s still baffling.

• RobLeenio

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:44 PM

Lochinvar, there’s no car crusher in the Universe that would:
    a) Fit Ashley’s ar$e in it
    b) Ever manager to squash his thick skull.

I’d find it hilarious if one of TMG stuck a banana in the exhaust, though.

• hibbit

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:51 PM

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:55 PM

Rob I’m not getting the euphemism……

πŸ˜€

• toon22

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:56 PM

A major bone of contention at the meeting was the appointment of an auditor, after Grant Thornton resigned in August.

Tom Powdrill, of investor advisory group Pirc, said that if Sports Direct cannot appoint an auditor at the close of the meeting, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy has the power to step in if necessary.

They claim they are in the process of getting an auditor, but as usual its probably a massive lie
    I doubt the shareholders will swallow it
    Meaning they will probably contact the government today
    πŸ™‚

• toon22

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM

IrishRob

“Nothing munster has EVER said on here indicates he hates Rafa”

Really ?

LOL

• toon22

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM

“He tweeted that the firm said it is “in the middle of a process” with regard to getting an auditor, and that the board wouldn’t answer whether Sports Direct will appoint one soon.”

You think the shareholders are going to believe that ?

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:59 PM

Toon22 as I posted above it’ll be another one of the undesirable string of firsts from Mike’s Baby. Having a government appointed auditor is a shameful blow I don’t think the shareholders will like it.

• toon22

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:00 PM

Oh dear

Sports Direct begs big four firms to reconsider audit snub

Maybe he thinks the shareholdes cant rad or use google ?

• toon22

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:01 PM

Bleatin’ n Bruced

Who do you think will be able to do such a task if the big 4 wont ?

Answers to the HMRC

LOL

• RobLeenio

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:01 PM

Lol, Bleatin’, that’s not what I meant, just ended up spraying water all over my desk at work. Queue odd looks from my colleagues…..

πŸ˜€

• toon22

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:02 PM

If it fails to replace Grant Thornton, which has held the role since 2007, Sports Direct faces having to resort to an untested process that could see If it fails to replace Grant Thornton, which has held the role since 2007, Sports Direct faces having to resort to an untested process that could see Andrea Leadsom, the business secretary, orchestrating the appointment of a new auditor., the business secretary, orchestrating the appointment of a new auditor.

It would be a shame if someone had contacted Andrea Leadsom a month ago to ask here to use the HMRC, wouldnt it

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:04 PM

IrishRob,
    Oh ok, Munster said he doesn’t hate the manager and wanted him here long term and funded, must be true, eh!
    Came nowhere near keeping us up, master tactician my ar$e, crap Scottish blokes that were chased ALL summer, Murphy money and riots in North London if he was appointed there, the constant comparisons with Mcardew and not to mention comparing the level of football to FSA team that was full of 20M+ players, yes he had a lot of affection for him.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:08 PM

Even the constant mention of the disabled guy and cancer sufferer that was invited to training was a backhanded way of saying he’s good at that but his shiity tactics need “critiquing”

• IrishRob

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:31 PM

Yes toon22 really. Go find me one comment where he says he hates Rafa????

• IrishRob

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM

Jail you’re warped mate, sorry but that’s all I can say to that.