web analytics

Mo Diame Talks To BEIN Sports About Mike Ashley, Rafa Benitez, And The Best Team Outside The Top Four

Former Newcastle United midfielder Mohamed Diame has given an interview with BEIN Sports about his time at Newcastle United.

The above clip is the ending of the three-minute interview but Mo, who now plays for Qatari side Al Ahli, started the interview with an endearing remark. This is what he said about his former club:

“For me this is a massive. After the big four, Newcastle is the best club in England. Now I’m not surprised Newcastle fans are not happy.”

Diame then went into the situation with his contract but was very diplomatic about it. He wanted a longer deal but was only offered the one-year extension. So thinking of his career, he decided that he had to leave the club.

Then the interviewer, Andy Kerr, asked Mo if Steve Bruce had been appointed earlier if that would have affected his decision. This is how he responded:

“Maybe, but to be honest, I had a really good relationship with Rafa Benitez. It wasn’t about Rafa, he’s always been amazing with me. It wasn’t about who was the manager. It was more about the chairman and Lee Charnley, who made the decision. Yeah, I would be happy to play again under Steve Bruce.”

The interview then moved onto the situation with Mike Ashley. Kerr asked Mohamed if it was hard as a player having an owner that was so unliked by the fans:

“It’s difficult for me to talk about things I don’t really know. I don’t want to judge people. I met the chairman once when we had a dinner with the team. He told me about his life and what’s happened and how he grew up. I know it was tough.

“I had a good feeling with him, and I can’t really judge something that I don’t know about. I can’t say if it was Rafa’s fault or the chairman’s fault because I don’t know.

It was a very diplomatic response by our former-midfielder but does fall into line with how many players have responded when asked about the owner. Mike Ashley is just never present at the club, so the players seem to have minimal contact with him.

What Will Be The Result Of Saturday's Match At Liverpool?

• Loss (71%, 720 )
  • Win (16%, 166 )
  • Draw (13%, 134 )

Total Voters: 1,020

Loading ... Loading ...

• GeordieTwo

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Yo Mo. Good luck with your new club.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:42 PM

The best team outside of the top four Mo? I’m not so sure aboot that. Look at the standings over the last few seasons mate. We did what we could with what we had.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:50 PM

Mo obviously doesn’t read the blog, theres a few believe we’re where we should be in league, we’re punching our weight in their opinion.

Ashley’s doing alreet and just needs a chance.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:52 PM

Poor Mikey had it tough, his parents lent him 10K and he ripped them off, now he uses them as a euphemism pretending they want a box at SJP.

• geordietom

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:06 PM

we should of kept him …

• geordietom

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:07 PM

yep …

jail poor mikey the panto villain …

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:17 PM

geordietom,
    He’s ‘orrible, he obviously knows how to turn on the charm though.

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:20 PM

He came across really badly on tv last night

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:24 PM

OP in case you didnt read earlier, my young fella supports liverpool for the same reasons as thousands of others do. And if you recall the won the CL. If that isnt enough for you gawd help u as ur partner in crime Jail the liar says . OP , beyond dim.

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:26 PM

OP, who thinks Ashley is doing alright. Name them.

• RobLeenio

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:28 PM

Big Mo, what a legend. He may not have directly criticised the owner, but by repeating what Rafa told him were his ambitions when he joined, he’s confirmed that the lack of ambition we’ve shown can only be laid at one door, and it doesn’t have a ‘gaffer’ sign hanging off it.

• RobLeenio

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:30 PM

Everything I’ve read suggests that Ashley is a very charming man in person.

I’m sure that Idi Amin could turn it on when he wanted to aswell.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:34 PM

I thought Ashley had already had 12 years of chances? And what’s our average league finish (when we’re in the Prem that is, which isn’t all the time)? I think it’s around 14th isn’t it? So much for best team not in the top 4 Mo. Better revisit your maths. And there is only one villain here and it’s not Mikey’s parents. Poor, poor Mikey. His parents want their money back now that he’s a billionaire. That’s so hard on you Mikey. Why don’t you complain to somebody who cares? I’m not sure who that would be…..

• GeordieTwo

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:36 PM

And both Hitler and Trump were and are charming in person. Charm means nothing. Character shows through over time. I think we know what kind of character Ashley has. Snake oil salesman like Trump.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:53 PM

Munster

If you think I’d answer you after all the questions you’ve dodged over the last few days you’re more of a mug than I thought.

Who do you thinks going to win the CL this year?

Just wondering who your son will be supporting next season.

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:56 PM

Op name them. Name the guys on here who think ashley is doing ok. Name them. Evidence please.

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:57 PM

Op sadly my young fella will be supporting liverpool next season, with a big soft spot for nufc. Is that ok with you, dick?

• Lindisfarne

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:07 PM

“The football of today”

MA promises football tomorrow and SB is from yesterday.
    I would have liked to see last seasons team continue developing the football that Rafa had us playing.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:09 PM

Thought it might be a joke but there really is an Ashley pub in the NE. Although it’s in South Shields so might be frequented by Sunderland supporters, wonder if any Toon fans go there.

• MagpieRanger

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:09 PM

GeordieTwo keep politics away from this blog fella it’s boring, cheers.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:13 PM

I saw the Ashley interview on TV and he was very bullish about his buying up of High Street stores, seems to think he can make them pay. He did look a bit flustered though so I reckon he was putting on a face and he probably had his fingers crossed when he was making his comments.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:17 PM

Watched some MLS football and wonder why no EPL teams try to sign Diego Valeri, even at 32 he’d be a fantastic player in the EPL I reckon.

• Moonraker15

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Lindisfarne
    The most disappointing thing is that last season Rafa set everything up for a major investment in the team and Ashley just blew it all away and set us back 4 years again!
    SB is doing his best but that will never be good enough especially without proper investment in players. Rafa would never have paid 40 million for Joelinton, although I think he will improve.
    Ultimately we will be relegated this season because we haven’t got enough goals in the team! Simple!

• Moonraker15

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Essex
    You said it! He’s 32!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:27 PM

Essex Geordie Bill,
    Ironically it is a predominantly Nufc pub, the owner who is a non attending ST holder runs the venga bus to away matches like his father before him.

• Moonraker15

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:30 PM

Essex
    I saw that interview. He looked like a man under huge pressure brought on by himself. There is no way he will ever gate House of Fraser to make money; they are dead in the water along with Debenhams!
    This 600 million tax bill and no auditors will work for him; looks like the perfect storm! Long may it continue!

• Moonraker15

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:32 PM

Essex I think the Ashley is in North Shields isn’t it! Not South Shields!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:40 PM

Moonraker

I googled it before I made my comment and it has the pub as being in South Shields.

I know google isn’t always correct so if I’m wrong then I’m happy to be corrected!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:43 PM

Moonraker

Abrohanovich (?) is practically an OAP but I reckon a lot of EPL teams would have him in a shot.

Valeri by comparison is still a kid. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:45 PM

Moonraker15,
    I don’t think there’s enough goals either unless AC bucks an eight year trend and manages to stay fit for 25 games. However as I’ve mentioned before I think he might get away with it this season as he has a team of fighters proud to wear the shirt. Once that is dismantled and replaced with Churnleys square pegs then it will go tits up very quickly.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:47 PM

The Ashley is on Stanhope Road in South Shields, very briefly changed it’s name to Morgans wine bar a couple of years ago and changed back to The Ashley when my mate took over.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:49 PM

Jail

I’ll bet that they are looking forward to the day that Ashlie leaves. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:50 PM

Sadly, I was talking to a mate from Chesterfield recently, who had been drinking in the same pub as Ashley in Mansfield.
    He said to me “Bobby, you ain’t gonna like this mate, but he’s a proper decent bloke”.
    He was right – I didn’t like it.

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:52 PM

Stupid OP, i’m still waiting. Who likes ashley here? Billson? No, he has clarified this. Nufc 83? Ditto. Jib, he’s only janking chains. So who are you talking about???

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:52 PM

EGB,
    Aren’t we all, it’s quite an unfortunate name for the place but has been called that for as long as I can remember, it used to be The Lord Ashley, it is also on Ashley road so not sure which was built first.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:53 PM

Jail

By the way don’t know if you saw a much earlier comment by me (over a week ago) but I found Stonehenge in a charity shop and bought it.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM

Bobbybee,
    I bet all those that drank with him in the early away games thought that too.

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM

Serious Bobby? I guess he does the garralous rogue who likes his pints. A client of mine with a connection to nufc met him and said he was rude .

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:56 PM

Bobbybee,
    I know you like a good conspiracy theory. I still firmly believe he brought in KK just to sack him and cause this divide with the fans that has suited him down to the ground and saved him from having to go through with his promise of 20M a year out of his own pocket.

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:56 PM

Cant imagine anyone saying that re llambias 🙂