web analytics

“So Why Would I Change?” – The Key Moment Where Ashley Forgets The Narrative

Newcastle Fans TV have tweeted the section of Mike Ashley’s desperate interview which deals directly with NUFC.

Mike Ashley looks very unnerved in this interview as he publicly tries to explain the situation with Sports Direct. However, it’s interesting that he brings his ownership of Newcastle United into the argument. Ashley appears to be claiming that a lot of his villainous reputation is due to him owning this football club. Though he chooses to use the word pantomime, which is all for show.

Well, there is one slight problem with his assessment. He has a nefarious reputation as an owner because he has earned that characterization through his own misdeeds. Just a few months ago, he lamented about his many mistakes in his infamous interview with the Daily Mail. We also vividly remember his interview before the Hull City match in 2015 when he strangely referenced carts and horses. He also stated that the responsibility should be placed at his door.

Now he is asking for the media to go easy on him and not treat him like a pantomime villain. So we really think he is starting to succumb to the stress with his Sports Direct empire. However, he is still trying to control the narrative, but it’s starting to come apart for him.

There is one moment in this interview that we think is telling. When the interviewer references the pantomime villain claim, Ashley is asked if he plans on changing. Mike responds with three no’s, and an “Everybody knows I do exactly what it says on the tin. So why would I change?” That answer probably will not fill his shareholders with much comfort since Sport Direct is in such as state.

Mike Ashley is in desperate straights, and he is trying to talk his way out of it. He has no intention of changing anything except the public’s perception of him. So the next time Mike Ashley tells Newcastle fans he has turned over a new leaf and will improve, just remember what Rafa Benitez says about a leopard and its spots. Or better yet, just listen to him tell you that he does exactly what it says on the tin.

• dougie

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:44 PM

The parasite is in the shit and he knows it,he’s a dirty rotten scoundrel and deserves everything that’s coming to him.He treats us not as supporters but as stock similar to the tat he sells in his shops.I can’t wait for the rat to perish.

• dougie

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:45 PM

First and second lol!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:56 PM

Carltoon

Just for you.

36 Hours 35 Minutes to KO

• Nufc-83

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:17 AM

Lots of good football discussion today on here well done all!

On Almiron there is no doubt in my mind he will come good he just needs the players around him to step up a little. With Atsu or ASM (if he is as good as we all hope) he will look a lot better. Also seen someone mention how we would fit ASM and Almiron in the same team then list a load of 4 defender formations. They will play in the current formation but would need to drop Atsu to do so which is harsh and he’s probably our best player certainly from an attacking sense at the minute.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:28 AM

He doesn’t pick the team and he doesn’t pay for new players either, an accusation I am tired of.
    Although he does have an influence on which players are brought in, for the good or bad of the team / coach.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:40 AM

‘That was not a serious offer in any way, shape or form.'”

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:18 AM

And to think we were all jumping for joy to have a sports connected billionaire taking over the club.

Disillusionment set in fairly quickly did it not.

What does disillusionment mean in literature?
    dis·il·lu·sion. Use disillusion in a sentence. noun. Disillusion is defined as disappointment that you feel when you realize something you thought was true wasn’t, or when you realize that something you thought was good is not as good as you believed it was.

• IrishRob

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:19 AM

Lovely article Neil.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:20 AM

Take it that the night shift is in a state of Disillusionment.

I’ll try again another day!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:22 AM

IrishRob

Kudos to you for your defence of Munster, he gets a lot of unfair abuse.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:29 AM

G’night all.

• Scythe For Bruce

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:49 AM

That Mike Ashley video is amazing. It managed to make me dislike the bloke even more than I already did. What a big cockney rat he is. We’re absolutely screwed with him at the helm of our great club, we really are.

He doesn’t come across as intelligent at all. He’s obviously out of his depth now and hopefully if he obtains enough rope he’ll hang himself (I mean that metaphorically, not literally before anyone jumps doon me throat!)

• Scythe For Bruce

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:53 AM

Not football related, but I’m watching Wayne’s World on Showtime. Haven’t seen it since the early 90’s. What a wonderful, dumb movie it is. Enjoying it more than I’ll probably enjoy the Liverpool game at the weekend, that’s for sure! 🙂

• The Wife

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:53 AM

MA did seem quite flustered in that video. Very telling.

Jail – I did see your comment from this morning (well, morning for me). Sorry for the delayed response, but the short answer is: not really. The blog is not configured such that we can make avatars compulsory. We could, however, remove them altogether, but that would be opening the door for more mayhem, I’m afraid. 😀

I did take care of your other issue, though.

• carltoon

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:54 AM

Ah Bill sorry I missed you tonight. Just spent the last hour reading through the posts. The night shift has been bereft without your input. And I haven’t read anything from NYMag for a while.

• Scythe For Bruce

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:59 AM

After reading The Wife’s post I’m tempted to go back and read what Jail wrote earlier, but I honestly can’t be arsed 😀

• carltoon

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:59 AM

Hope you enjoyed you festival. Can’t wait for the match on Saturday. Only been to Liverpool once for a cup game. Wasn’t impressed by the ground. Went to a pub outside the Everton ground. It was a bit depressing area. But a great atmosphere at the match

• Scythe For Bruce

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:28 AM

Haven’t been to Anfield since the 80’s, but I have a soft spot for the Scousers. I know I’m probably in the minority thinking that, but I prefer them to the Mancs and Cockneys. I’d love to see Liverpool overtake Man United’s total of top flight league titles during Alex Ferguson’s lifetime. Yes, Sir Alex, I still haven’t forgiven you for those mind games against Keegan and I never will.

• carltoon

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:33 AM

Oh I think most NUFC would prefer Liverpool over Man United.

• Genjikai

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:44 AM

Yesterday the magpie group got to ashley.
    We stared him out eye to eye all AGM.
    He was taken back by the london magpie and magpie groups effort yesterday.
    Its not always about numbers its about the message.
    Yesterday we got our message spot on.

• Scythe For Bruce

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:53 AM

carltoon – true, but I doubt many Toon supporters would say they have a soft spot for them either. Some of the funniest people I’ve ever met in my life were Scousers, so they get a free pass because of that.

• toon22

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:15 AM

It’s never Jabbas fault

He’s got till next Wednesday or the whole thing collapses

Hahahahaha hahahahaha

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:10 AM

Genjikai

Great news, do you have any links?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:41 AM

When did Ashley start with the theatrical hand movements, he was doing it in another interview the other day, he’s obviously going to some kind of body language classes, probably the most exercise he’s had in years, hope it’s the end of him.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:42 AM

“ISS’s policy for UK companies provides for withholding support from directors under extraordinary circumstances for material failures of governance, stewardship, or risk oversight. Recent events at Sports Direct appear to indicate that in this case, all three criteria apply. A vote against the re-election of Mike Ashley is therefore considered appropriate.”

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:48 AM

Lindisfarne,
    Was he not just voted back in under an overwhelming majority?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:53 AM

The Wife,
    Thanks for looking in to that. As for the avatars there was a few people on to say why should they have one to talk about football, you can’t keep all the people happy all of the ti.e as Bob Marley sang. It’s a shame mind because it was only yesterday I discovered that changing display names stays the same with a non changing avatar, it would have made the nonsense a lot harder to do.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:57 AM

Jail for Ashley

Pantomine villians are renowned for exaggerated physical gestures.

I have not read any reports yet about the outcomes of any votes but I would presume MA continues to tread his own path.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:00 AM

Only source that I can find from inside the AGM

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:04 AM

GUARDIAN – 1) Newcastle travel to Anfield without much hope …
    Newcastle don’t have much of a record at Anfield. They’ve not won there since Steve Watson knocked Roy Evans’s side out of the League Cup in 1995; they’ve not tasted league victory there since Andrew Cole and Robert Lee secured a 2-0 win in 1994. It’s been mainly defeats ever since, though they did get a point three years ago against a starting XI featuring Alberto Moreno, Connor Randall and Kevin Stewart. The Magpies won’t be flying down the A1 with too much hope in their hearts, then. Liverpool are on a 13-match Premier League winning run, and Mo Salah and Sadio Mané have had their feet up during the international break. SM

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:06 AM

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:07 AM

Oh no he didn’t, oh yes he did, he’s behind you, he’s behind you, Mike Ashley to play Scrooge in the incoming Newcastle United, please sir can I have some more of your bullshit.

• Nufc-83

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:37 AM

Bruce just brought in a strength and conditioning coach. I am guessing Rafa took his with him as there’s no way we should not be having this role in this day and age. Was it Paco?

• The next Mike Williamson

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:11 AM

Has Ashley said anything about BZG or have BZG said anything about anything?

• Mindshaft

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:16 AM

31% of SD shareholders voted against Ashley … given that he owns 62% it means almost every other shareholder voted to remove him … sadly impossible as he has controlling share ..
    The SD shareholders are learning how it feels to have a parasitic owner they can’t get rid of
    Reminds me of something else he owns 🙂

• Big Archie

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM

Why would he change?

The Mike Ashley we all love to hate has made billions just the way he is. Do you think he gives a toss about changing because of what we think about him?

• RobLeenio

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:51 AM

Lindisfarne “Liverpools form would seem to be similar to that of Man Cities when we beat them!”

I admire your optimism, honestly and truly. What a day that was, when we beat Man City. A story that those there will be telling their grandkids 30 years from now. If we can repeat that kind of result but away from home, it’ll be an even better result in my opinion.

Realistically, if we get a point at Liverpool, it will be a minor miracle. I heard they’d scored at least two goals in their last twenty games or something ridiculous. That means we need to score at least two to have a chance, not something we’ve been particularly good at lately.

Either that or we need another titanic performance from our defence, which is something we could potentially look forward to.