web analytics

Steve Bruce Admires Free Spirit Who Is Key To Newcastle Attack

Miguel Almiron is due to make his return to Newcastle either today or tomorrow after playing for Paraguay. Miguel has been under scrutiny recently with his missed chances, especially after the Watford draw a few weeks ago.

Yesterday, former Magpie Rob Lee had some harsh words on the player who joined from Atlanta United this past January. A lot of what Rob said was accurate, but what Almiron brings to Newcastle is very important.

While he has not provided any goals or assists yet, he is a threat to the opposition, and that creates space and chances for his teammates. A lot of the criticism Miguel stems from the team’s reliance on him to score goals when that is not really something he has been able to do in the past.

Steve Bruce has spoken about Miguel in the Shields Gazette. This is what Steve has said about the 25-year-old:

“First time I saw him I thought ‘wow, what a good player he is’. I think he feels he’s had a few chances. Last week, he had two great opportunities but didn’t take them.

“But you cannot but admire the way he plays. However, I think he’s aware, and everyone else is aware, that he’s got to score a goal. He’s in an important position for us, so I think it will come. I really do.”

“He became a free spirit at Atlanta as a No10, an attacking midfielder. What’s his best position? Because if you’re off the striker, then you have to be getting 10-12 goals a season.

“Is he a wide player? Is he a No10? Is he a midfielder? I think that’s the one. I think it’s just a matter of time. He’ll be OK. As a footballer, he’s a good player.”

Miguel is a versatile attacker who can play in multiple positions proficiently. Finding the best one for him with this crop of players is something that Steve Bruce will have to continue to experiment with.

With the lack of fit strikers, we wouldn’t be surprised to see Miguel play behind Joelinton again against Liverpool if the Paraguayan is deemed fit.

Bruce tried that in the first two games of the season, but the pair were often isolated. It was an even bigger problem in the second game at Norwich where Almiron often dropped too deep leaving Joelinton completely void of support in attack.

However, Bruce may have no other option on Saturday due to the injury situation with Newcastle’s attackers.

We believe Miguel will come good at Newcastle. He is a talented player whose work-rate is immense. We just don’t see him getting into double figures with goals, though we do think he’ll open his account before too long.

What Will Be The Result Of Saturday's Match At Liverpool?

• Loss (71%, 720 )
  • Win (16%, 166 )
  • Draw (13%, 134 )

Total Voters: 1,020

Loading ... Loading ...

• JohnJ

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM

Eeeee where are you all today!

• beermonkey

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:22 AM

john

you killed the blog

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:24 AM

“Is he a wide player? Is he a No10? Is he a midfielder? I think that’s the one”
    Oh please help me gawd!

• Bobbybee

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:30 AM

Jail, I think he means ‘that’s the question’, it just sounded a bit odd. 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:33 AM

Bobbybee,
    More importantly does he know the answer 🙁

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Bobbybee,
    He was clearly brought in to play with a target man and Joelinton isn’t one, I’m sure they’ll work it out.

• Bobbybee

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM

Jail, very unlikely. 🙂 The lad needs a goal desperately. He’s a maverick, bit like HBA but more consistent and without the goals just yet.
    His natural energy and none stop running opens the game up for others, we just haven’t learned to take full advantage yet. It will come and when it does I think they whole team will score goals.
    When he goes on a run, whatever direction, people up with him or just behind him need to move into the space he’s just created, so there’s not such a big gap. Sometimes he stops to look for a pass and there’s nobody even close. That said, he’s hard to keep up with but if he comes from middle to left, Atsu has to be looking to fill in the gap he’s created, giving him a passing option, or the midfield has to push up behind him to give him options. As often as not there’s a gap between midfield and attack that’s just too big.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:58 AM

What I did like about Almirons goal for Paraguay was that he was in the box to head it in!! Don’t really see him enough in those positions for us hes usually miles away from the goal when crosses like that are put in!

@Bobby yeah agree with you on the whole team needs to adapt to his game and him as well so when say Atsu has it on one wing Almiron should be trying to sneak in at the back post for the cross for a tap in or a header you see the likes of City do it all the time where the wide player comes in unmarked we have the pace in the wide areas to make stuff happen

• G

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:00 PM

Am I the only person who wouldn’t mind playing him behind both Gayle and Joelinton? I think that might suit Miggy.

• The Wife

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:04 PM

Agree with Bobbybee – a goal (or three!) would probably settle him down a tad. He’s running around a lot, but seems like the rest of the team doesn’t know what to do with him, and when he gets the ball, he forgets what to do with himself!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM

The Wife,
    It’s a real shame for him as he was so close against Huddersfield when he clipped the post on his debut, that would have been the monkey off his back immediately, luckily he has the renowned coaching of Steve Bruce to help him overcome his barren spell.

• Bobbybee

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:16 PM

Lee, aye, the whole team has to try to play as one unit. We’re in three clearly defined rows just now, which is great defensively but when we break out EVERYBODY has to move as one. That means fitness levels must be high and rotation will be key.
    We’ve got real pace in the team but we need to make that a strength, not a weakness. That means the midfield especially have to be on their toes at all times and looking to fill in behind. Then the defence has to move up or we leave big gaps that can be punished on the counter attack.
    If we get it right it could be devastating, but if it isn’t working one day we can always bring on Carroll and get Miggy chasing his flick ons for 20 mins. Get it working and I don’t see relegation being a worry from what I’ve witnessed so far. There’s a few very good sides in the league but there’s also a lot of average teams.
    I wasn’t happy with Bruce being appointed but now he’s here I want him to prove all of us wrong. This is his last chance in the big league so if he wants to ram a cup final down my throat, I’m happy to let him. 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:18 PM

The Wife,
    While you’re about could you pass on a request to Neil, would it be possible for admin to insist that all users have an avatar, it won’t eliminate the nonsense but make it a little bit harder.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:20 PM

Personally I’d be happy to see Almiron get a assist, which I’m sure he still hasn’t.

He’s never had the greatest scoring record so expecting him to come here and bag 10 in the prem is a bit far fetched.

I’d be my dog he doesn’t get 10 in all competitions this year even if we get to the FA cup final.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:22 PM

Bet my dog

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM

I wish I’d put Scharr as my top scorer instead of Joelinton, Scharr wont be far off double figures.

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM

Migs issue is he’s to fast sometimes, the rest of the team can’t keep up, imagine Jonjo trying to keep up, laughable.
    Someone like Matty could work, has some speed and a good engine, can score from distance so a pass back to Matty around 18 yards could see some fruit from Migs speed, Max is a player that could keep up but they both need a little time to gel. Formation to include Max and Migs would have to be something like 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-1-1 – 4-4-1-1 with Max or Migs playing just ahead of midfield.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:34 PM

People are making excuses for the lad, he’s been in plenty positions for a simple cross or pass for a goal but he doesnt lift his head.

I’m not going to right him off yet but people are being far to kind.

• Genjikai

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:40 PM

2 -1 to the toon.
    Liverpool score first, but we dont drop our heads keep plugging away.
    Joe and schar for me.
    2-1 toon win.
    HWTL

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:42 PM

@Bobby

Yeah I am the same I didn’t think we would ever be sitting with Bruce as manager although it has been joked about on here for a few years!

What I will say is the players apart from the Norwich game are at least giving him 100% work rate which if that continues and we can actually click up front then I don’t think we will be in the relegation mix at all but its shite that this is the level of our ambition at the club!

I mean if Ashley was to actually let the club spend what it makes in January and we get 2 or 3 players early in the window then maybe we could do even better

• Bobbybee

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:43 PM

It will take time but once it works we can be a threat throughout the game. But that’s down to Bruce and his staff to work out, not us. Lots of work still to be done, but if you can’t find a way to utilise the pace available to us, then you’re maybe in the wrong job! Steady now…. 😀

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:45 PM

A court in Paris has just ruled that a man who died from a cardiac arrest whilst having sex with a stranger died due to a industrial accident.

The company has been ordered to pay compensation to the mans family.

Nowt to do with football, madness all the same

• Bobbybee

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:47 PM

Right, gotta go shopping. Be back later no doubt. Get this out the way now.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:47 PM

OP,
    He won the free kick that Rondon put away against Bournemouth last season, that counts as an assist on FF football, not sure about the real world 😀

• Lindisfarne

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:49 PM

Jail

I have put a picture on my Gravatar account about 6 months back, still nothing. Contributers to the blog can not be held back by being relient on the processes of other websites.

• Bobbybee

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:49 PM

OP, just caught that. 😀 What, so he tripped and.. fell in? Had a few accidents in my life, but never been that lucky.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:58 PM

Lindisfarne,
    It hasn’t seem to have worked?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:59 PM

Lindisfarne,
    Have you spoke to Ed about it.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:08 PM

To be truthful, I ain’t that bothered and i have not been following the goings on on here.
    Has Jib been banned?……
    Ok, slightly interested.

• RobLeenio

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:14 PM

Jonathan Woodgate allowing his lips to flap in an uncoordinated fashion. Said the below with no provocation at all.

“This football club is a big football club, who’s done well.
    “I know we’ve only been in the Premier League once in 10 years but we’ve been to a UEFA Cup final, we won the Carling Cup, Newcastle haven’t.
    “When was the last time Newcastle went to a UEFA Cup final?
    “Our history is better than theirs in recent times, I’d say. It’s a big club.”

And to think there were plenty on here in the Summer (including me) who wished the guy well when he took that job.

The ingratitude! (shakes head in mock disappointment)

• Lindisfarne

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:15 PM

“” the former NUFC boss says that after two years of achieving mid-table finishes on such a tight budget, this season was ‘the time to then move forward and go one step further’, with proper investment in the squad that would have allowed his Newcastle team to play more expansive football and have ambitions to finish higher up the table.””

• RobLeenio

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:15 PM

Lindi, Jib was indeed banned.
    By himself.
    For a week.

I actually think he’s gone on holiday.

😉

• Macas

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:19 PM

Why insist all users have an avatar? We shouldn’t need a silly picture on our profile to talk about football here

• Lindisfarne

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:19 PM

Rob

My sense of enjoyment at that news incrimentally decreased with each line.

• RobLeenio

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:25 PM

Rofl Lindi – there was method in my delivery

😉

• Moonraker15

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:34 PM

Bunga
    I think you’ll find any money we have in January will be put aside towards the £600 million SD tax bill!
    Before anyone says “he can’t do that”, he owns us lock stock and barrel and he’s a crook!

• Moonraker15

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:38 PM

Macas
    I agree although I have one cos I think it defines my opinion.
    Who cares who we are communicating with? Anyone who supports Ashley’s regime is planted, as no true supporter can support him!

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:38 PM

Hard to know what to do with Miggy. Not sure he has the craft to be a 10, or the coolness to be a striker. Still love him though, but we may end up having same chat in a year.

• Moonraker15

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:41 PM

If Jib doesn’t look at the blog whilst away on holiday it reinforces the opinion that he’s a shill and benefiting from posting propaganda!

• Moonraker15

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:45 PM

Munster
    I’m not convinced Miggy is gonna make it in the prem. He can’t be compared with HBA who was an excellent finisher and more skilful but maybe not as quick. I hope I’m wrong cos the lad gives 100% every game!