web analytics

Steve Bruce Talks About Remarkable Recoveries Of Newcastle Duo

Injury analyst Ben Dinnery has tweeted some of the injury updates that Steve Bruce gave during today’s press conference.

It appears to be excellent news for two players who are making remarkable progress from their injuries.

One of those players is Matt Ritchie who earlier in the week Bruce marveled at how well his recovery was going. However, he seems to be doing even better as Bruce says that he’s not far away from a return.

If anyone were going to cut a 2-month injury projection in half, it would be Matt Ritchie. Ritchie suffered the ankle injury just over two weeks ago against Leicester City, and now there appears to be a good chance that he could make the trip to Leicester in two weeks time. We suspected he had that match circled on his calendar.

The other positive is Allan Saint-Maximin, who was initially thought to be lost until October. However, Bruce says that he has a chance to feature next week against Brighton.

We are not too optimistic on this one as it may be best to keep Saint-Maximin out next week. He already has re-injured himself once this season at Tottenham after spending the previous week recovering from a tight hamstring.

We would hope that the club are ultra-cautious with the Frenchman going forward. His hamstring issue could spiral into a significant problem if they are not careful.

It is also good to see that Andy Carroll may be able to step up his training. The club are taking the sensible route in ramping up his involvement incrementally.

With news also coming out today about Sean Longstaff suffering an ankle injury, there’s at least some positives on the injury front with Ritchie and Saint-Maximin.

What Will Be The Result Of Saturday's Match At Liverpool?

• Loss (71%, 720 )
  • Win (16%, 166 )
  • Draw (13%, 134 )

Total Voters: 1,020

Loading ... Loading ...

• Munster Mag

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:17 AM

Robert where are yooooooouuuu ?? 🙂

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:24 AM

Ahead of the Lpool match, I imagine Bruce will be saying “lets play our game and see what happens”. Completely the opposite to the previous manager who poured over videos,
    endlessly looking for the fine details that would ensure we stayed in the match. But hey, ‘he is one of our own’.

• geordietom

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:26 AM

repost …

dont know if anyone can remember when i said about my wifes aunty and uncle being S/T holders and they went to every home game , well her uncle died the other day at the grand old age of 81 . he lived and breathed NEWCASTLE R.I.P. BF …

didn’t put this on to wind people up …

• IrishRob

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:28 AM

You cant please anyone on here istg. Ppl say writing first pisses them off, so I say something nicer like hello, and you still get bs. Back to first it is. You make an effort and it’s still not good enough.

Munster you muppet, good morning.

• cyprus

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:44 AM

Explosive players who get injured are at a high risk, unfortunately. I won’t mention his name expressly but his initials are MO. Never the same. Also, Dyer an incredible, yet unlucky player. The hope on the saint, he’s young.

Agree that we have a solid squad and additions should not be en masse. But we need a game changer or two. So, use the budget for one super player every window.

Will Almiron play tomorrow? We need him, if we’re going to get an unlikely result.

• IrishRob

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM

RE, Longstaff…..

Seriously something needs to be done about all these injuries already. I’ve never seen them pile up so fast in all my life, Its clearly a coaching problem as we didnt have half this much of an injury issue under Rafa. Looks like it’s back to the good old days of players getting injured morning noon and night and were never able to string a first choice 11 together.

This is getting stupid how many players are dropping week in, week out and how many players are incredibly slow coming back, and constantly get their return dates pushed back.

Without Longstaff I’m changing my prediction, I now dont think there is anything in the liverpool game for us only defeat.

• cyprus

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Lindis
    I don’t imagine it’s (he’s) that simple. Anyway, we can’t do much worse than last year, in this one.

• IrishRob

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:57 AM

Seriously though, how many times is Bruce gonna blame misfortune, every time someone gets injured he says “it’s one of those freak accidents” or “nothing we could do about it”

You know hes saying this so it doesn’t turn into a story. Hes always trying to shift the blame to something that doesnt involve him or his coaching staff.

Stop avoiding the blame and start figuring out WHY your players are always dropping like flies, and if you cant figure it out then get in a new fitness coachor a new physiotherapist, somone with some answers or who is willing to bother fix the issues.

• IrishRob

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:04 AM

Cyprus let’s not even mention that useless sack of shits initials. There is a reason everyone hates him, even liverpool supporters. Nasty little fùker

I’ll ever forget the YouTube video of him sneering and teasing a really young kid who got a chance to kick a ball with him, and he constantly put the kid down and teased him for not being as good at taking shots and stuff. Nevel Southall was in the video too and he constantly had to tell him to cop on putting down a little kid, Hes a total Toerag.

• Nufc-83

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Irish I think its very harsh to blame Bruce/coaching staff for the injury situation. Somebody posted recently a list of all the injuries since he took over and he could do very little about most of them as they were clearly not linked to coaching methods etc. I do think he rushed ASM back so I blame him for that one mind but I think everyone including him wanted to get him out on the pitch but definitely in my view sits with him. Players taking a long time to come back when the article above shows two players making progress ahead of schedule!

Jail also something I picked up on recently is you keep saying we dont have a target man unless Carroll comes back and since Rondon left. I think Joelinton is playing that role well and he actually links the play better than Rondon in my opinion (I think he is physically stronger). You will often find if players have a little pace or skill people label them as not being a target man as the typical target man is very tall and slow and I think you have fell into this camp.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:16 AM

The tanker’s pulled in alongside us today so permits have been pulled again, another day keeping out of the way watching the cricket. Shame we haven’t got BT sports on here.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Nufc-83,
    If he has been brought in to be a target man then I think it’s very unfair on him been thrown in at the deep end at that role.

• Mindshaft

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:22 AM

Unbelievable how our injuries are piling up, god knows what Bruce and his team have them doing but this is going to end up costing us points if it carries on

• DubaiMicky

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:27 AM

hibbit, from your article link “The news comes after 90.9 per cent of Sports Direct’s shareholders voted in favour of Ashley’s re-election as a director of the company at the company’s AGM on Wednesday.”

I thought 31% voted to kick him out? Perhaps shareholders and shareholders with a vote are different – or maybe there’s lies, damned lies, and statistics (and media spin of course).

Not against you matey, just a different way that news is presented.

• DubaiMicky

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:30 AM

And Mindshaft, very true that, strange that injuries (especially niggling ones) seem to be on the rise – another symptom of Rafa and his team leaving perhaps?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:33 AM

Mindshaft,
    It doesn’t help that the ladders used to climb in to the wheelie bins have been lost after they were used for the recent paint job at the ground, players are hurting themselves climbing in an out.

• lesh

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Geordietom and others

Having watched Ashley’s post SD AGM interview a couple of times, his body language spoke volumes. He clearly showed signs of feeling under pressure and being angry at the criticism he’d received.

As said, he was focused on delivering his claims that he does not run things but has a board of directors who make the decisions and he was addressing the camera. His anger was visible on his face – heavy frown and sharply focused eyes hardly signs of a man at ease – and he would, force an innocent smile accompanied by a looks of surprise as though reminded to be surprised and use his eyes to look hurt at being cast as the villain. ‘Who me, I don’t take dividends or a salary and I’m being criticised?’.

To some he’s come across as a nice guy (after the meal with the players) and I’m sure he would be until his less than humane side kicks in, when greed takes over and we see the ruthless sociopath.

Ashley’s a ruthless and dangerous man and I do believe that Bishop’s on his case to try to counter that image – hence a number of pro-Ashley posters who consistently fight his corner

• lesh

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:38 AM

DubaiMicky

Maybe it might have read ‘those shareholders holding 90.9 per cent of Sports Direct’s shares etc….

• hibbit

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:44 AM

DubaiMicky
    it was only 31% of the 29% he didn’t own.

• neverwin

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:39 PM

how stupid to blame Bruce for injuries. If Longstaffe turns his ankle then its the fault of Bruce.
    Irish really boils my piss coming out with such crap.

With regard to the Frenchman coming back too soon – dont you think players are asked how they are feeling and if they think they can play.Unlike Owen some players are so desperate to play and will not say otherwise hoping they can get through a game.
    Shit npw my car wont srart – must be fault of Bruce.
    He is not my cup of tea either but the vindictive bile being spouted is way over the top.
    The Messiah success at Liverpool was down to Steven Gerrard and that was said to me by a Liverpo ol supporter. He took the Champions League final an FA Cup Final by the scruff of the neck.
    Makes me laugh that Benitez wanted to be near the Wirral and his family yet moves` just down the road `to CHINA
    Please no one respond to this because I cannot be chewe.d