This was the team for the 3-1 loss at Liverpool including the three second-half substitutions.
These are our individual player ratings of yesterday’s performance.
Martin Dubravka – 7
- A solid performance from our goalkeeper especially in the second half. Martin could do nothing about the first goal from Mane. However, he will be disappointed with the second one in which he should have done a better job collecting the ball. He was under assault in the second half as he made some impressive saves on shots from Firmino, Robertson, and Alexander-Arnold. Disappointing that a Dubravka mistake has led to a goal again but it had been a long time since his last one.
Paul Dummett – 7
- Another committed performance in the back three from our local lad. Put everything on the line to block an early cross from Alexander-Arnold. Had to do a bit of work to cover for Jetro Willems at times. Not quite the performance he had at Tottenham but he was again very solid with 10 clearances. What is Bruce going to do when Lejeune comes back? Schar and Dummett may be undroppable.
Jamaal Lascelles – 6
- Jamaal had some crucial clearances but was very lucky on his drag down of Joel Matip in the box. Very easily could have been a penalty. Was his dominant self in the air and put in a strong overall performance.
Fabian Schar – 6
- Fabian was fully committed but looked like he was affected by international duty. He recognized what Liverpool were attempting on occasion but seemed a little slow to react. He did well at times to help Krafth with Mane and Robertson. Was injured late in the game through a calf injury as he slipped on Salah’s goal. Hopefully, will be ok for Brighton.
Emil Krafth – 5
- A poor outing for the Swede but we have to keep in mind he was tasked with controlling Sadio Mane and Andrew Robertson. He was skinned by Robertson often including on the first goal. Fabian Schar seemed to get a little frustrated with Emil as he had trouble with Liverpool’s wing-back. Did do well to get into the box on two occasions. To open the second half, he was found by Joelinton and his shot was blocked by Robertson. About 10 minutes later, Atsu did phenomenal to get a dangerous cross in the box that found Krafth. His first touch was poor and his shot flew into the stands. He may find his place under threat to Javier Manquillo next week and also DeAndre Yedlin when he returns. This may be harsh on Emil as he was facing two world-class players. Could have been a 4 but we settled on a 5 due to the opposition.
Jetro Willems – 7
- Got Newcastle off to a roaring start with a strike from his weaker foot in the 8th minute. What a goal that was. Was involved in the game but tired towards the end. Played some good passes and did his job defensively until he tired late in the game. Allowed Alexander-Arnold to much space at times in the second half. Should have closed him down more to prevent some of his threatening crosses.
Isaac Hayden – 7
- Hayden was committed against Liverpool’s three man midfield. He made 6 tackles had a few loose touches in midfield. Was injured late but soldiered on to finish the game. Isaac has been our most consistent player and again put in an admirable performance.
Jonjo Shelvey – 6
- Shelvey was committed and covered more ground than he usually does. Played too many long balls early but was trying different things to get Newcastle some chances. Not a bad outing for Jonjo in a type of game that just doesn’t suit him.
Christian Atsu – 6
- Christian Atsu was again very good for Newcastle. Got the assist on the goal as he coolly picked out Jetro on his left. Also beat Oxlade-Chamberlain to whip in a dangerous cross for Krafth who couldn’t get the shot on target. Had three tackles in a committed performance. However, he lost possession too much in the middle of the park. It cost Newcastle for the second goal. Not as good as he was in his two Premier League matches before the break. However, he was still very good considering the opponents.
Miguel Almiron – 6
- Not much of an opportunity for Almiron in the match. He again was full of running but did not create anything in the final third. His pace was threatening early but ultimately he spent the majority of his outing tracking back. He did a decent job helping Krafth with Liverpool’s threat down his flank.
Joelinton – 7
- Excellent hold-up play especially in the first 25 minutes. As Liverpool started their dominance, he was too isolated so didn’t get a chance all game. Did very well in the air and had a nice pass to Krafth whose shot was blocked early in the second half. Just a different player than what we saw at Norwich. He is still coming to grips with the Premier League, but is rarely dispossessed and always finds an outlet with his passes.
Javier Manquillo – 6
- Came on late for Emil Krafth and played decently. Not much time on the pitch to make an influence. We may see Javier play at home for Brighton.
Yoshinori Muto – 6
- Muto had a few dribbles but didn’t make much of an impact. It looks like he is going to have to get used to these late game appearances but they don’t seem to suit him. Would like to see him play with a striker partner at some point this season.
Federico Fernandez – 6
- Third straight league game where he came on late for an injured player. It was Schar again who he replaced in the 80th minute. Not much time on the pitch but is a top professional.
Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Defeat At Liverpool?
- Jetro Willems (28%, 280 )
- Paul Dummett (22%, 224 )
- Isaac Hayden (11%, 114 )
- Christian Atsu (9%, 93 )
- Joelinton (7%, 71 )
- Martin Dubravka (5%, 53 )
- Fabian Schar (5%, 53 )
- Jonjo Shelvey (3%, 29 )
- Miguel Almiron (3%, 28 )
- Jamaal Lascelles (2%, 19 )
- Emil Krafth (2%, 17 )
- Yoshinori Muto (1%, 9 )
- Federico Fernandez (1%, 5 )
- Javier Manquillo (0%, 4 )
Total Voters: 999