web analytics

Bruce Gives Clue To What Will Make Magpies Better Soon

Newcastle have not done enough this season to create and convert chances. In their five Premier League games, they have yet to score more than one goal in any game.

The 4 goals to date are only better than Crystal Palace who have managed just 3. Aston Villa and Watford also have scored 4 times, but Villa still have their fifth game to play this evening.

While the team have been solid defensively, they have been anemic in front of the net. That will have to change if Newcastle are to progress this season.

Steve Bruce believes once he gets some players back from injury their fortunes in the final third will change. We have three forwards who have not played a part this season due to injury. Andy Carroll and Dwight Gayle have yet to feature while Allan Saint-Maximin has managed just 40 minutes of football.

This is what Steve has said in the Chronicle about this season and his belief that the club will get better once the injured forwards return:

“Since I’ve walked through the door, we had a really awful performance at Norwich but for the six weeks that I’ve been working with them and the start, we knew it was going to be difficult with Tottenham, Arsenal, and Liverpool.”

“We have been credible. We can still get better and still do more. I still think we will get better when we’ve got a bit more at the top end of the pitch to cause a bit more of a threat but, overall, the way they’ve gone about their work, I’ve been very, very pleased.”

It will definitely be a help to get players back from injury. However, it is no guarantee that the returning players will provide the goals. There are still question marks surrounding all of them.

Allan Saint-Maximin is new to the Premier League, and we really haven’t seen enough to know how quickly he can provide assists and goals. Though he does seem physically capable of adapting to this league quite quickly.

With Andy Carroll, it’s always going to be about fitness. We know what he can do when fit, but it’s staying fit that will be the struggle.

Dwight Gayle is another one who has had issues with fitness. However, the question on him is if he can replicate his Championship prowess in the Premier League. Dwight hasn’t been able to do that yet in his career. Though he hasn’t had too many opportunities to do so.

We also have Joelinton and Miguel Almiron who still have to prove they can get assists and goals as well. It’s all question marks in attack so far.

We’ll need some answers this weekend against Brighton where three points will be expected.

• beefman13

Sep 16, 2019 at 10:57 AM

We as a club will be better when both the hiarchy and Bruce go.
    Sick of hearing how heroically we defended, yea make your bonus for keeping us up?

• The Sheikh'sMate

Sep 16, 2019 at 10:59 AM

Oops repost, missed the bus
    I don’t visit here as much as I used to but its still one of the best blogs.
    I think it’s a sad sign of the times when we’re looking forward to seeing Mr Carroll being wheeled out to save the day?

• Jib

Bellamy 0.31
    Mitro 0.42
    Owen 0.45
    Perez 0.31
    Cissé 0.42
    Rondon 0.36

This the goal scoring record of players goals expressed as a percentage of games played
    obviously there are some players who scored a lot of their goals in the 2nd tier.

It’s by no means empirical (eg games from the subs bench are not included) but interesting nevertheless

• Bobbybee

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:34 AM

The problem with playing too many strikers is, unless they’re disciplined, they go for the same ball and same runs. They tend to get in each others way because that’s their natural game. For me, the idea of playing three strikers across the front line is a none starter.
    Anyway, we got beat by the European champions. Gave goals away really, so we could’ve ended up getting something. We won’t be the last team to lose at Anfield and some will get a real shoeing there. Next week is more important because we need to win that.

• Jib

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:37 AM

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:44 AM

“Bruce Gives Clue To What Will Make Magpies Better Soon”
    I’ll guess at him handing in his notice.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:46 AM

Reilly,
    It’s obviously been cheaper than hosing it down and doesn’t need doing as often, the footer is going nowhere fast.

• Bobbybee

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:53 AM

Sunlun suing their former club doctor for over £13m for failing to do a medical properly. Is it not their own fault for hiring him?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Bobby

Hahahahaha

• Bobbybee

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:19 PM

OP, sounds like they might struggle because from what I can gather they needed the doctor in question for first team duties, meaning he had no option but to delegate. You can’t be in two places at once. Should’ve hired a locum for first team duties if they wanted him to oversee the medical. They might win, but it would be the sort of precedent nobody wants. Can’t see it myself, but a lot will depend on details I don’t know so I’m not making any prediction, but I don’t see how he can be held responsible if they took him off for a game. Interesting situation. Hope it costs them a fortune! 😀

• lesh

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:19 PM

Jiblets

@3…….

‘…As I was doing this I also made…’.

By posting it without attribution, you’re implying that you compiled that post.

Come off it Jib, face facts, it’s much too eloquent to be yours – cough up, tell where you copied it from.

• Just a fan

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:19 PM

Jib
    Ameobi must have scored his in Europe he was useless anywhere else.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:21 PM

Bobby.

The players should sue the doctor for passing their medicals.

Which player are they suing over?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:23 PM

Jib

Is Owen’s 71 including from the bench, i thought he only started 50 odd.

• Just a fan

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:24 PM

And sir Alan got a lot with penalties back in the day

• mactoon

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:27 PM

The problem with this club since around 2013 has been the lack of a striker and none of the ‘recruitment team’ seem capable of realising this. Rondon was the perfect fit but Ashley refused to buy him. We now have Joelinton who is an attacking midfielder being played as a centre forward and to me he is struggling due to a lack of support. The other options Bruce is depending on are:

Carroll: not fit and no guarantee that he will stay fit or play any major part during the season
    Gayle: “feels something in his calf” so is reluctant to play even though two specialists can’t find a problem

Surely Bruce should have addressed this when he agreed to come. What a ruddy mess this club is.

• lesh

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:28 PM

BoycottAshley @ 15

You’re asking a lot of Jib, he only copied that post @3 and you can’t really expect an answer to your question.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Bobby

That’s quite the court case.

Alvarez is suing them for loss of earnings and their suing the doctor for not doing the medical.

He had a dodgy left knee, damaged his right and they’re claiming the doc.

Meanwhile Sunderland still owe £9m to Inter lol.

• Ron Knee

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:35 PM

mactoon

Even if/when they’re fit, there’s no guarantee they’ll score many goals.

• Bobbybee

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:35 PM

OP, proper minefield innit? I can’t see how they have a leg to stand on – like Alvarez really! 😀 I think the court must eventually accept a Dr can’t be in two places at once and it was down to Sunlun to provide cover – which they didn’t. Lots of costs and expenses heading their way. 🙂

• hibbit

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:56 PM

jib’s inspiration or plagiarism at its finest,
    i’ll leave you to decide 😉 😉 😉

https://twitter.com/NUFC360 😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:06 PM

Who are the guys in the suits behind Brucie?

• Jib

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:06 PM

lesh
    The list was all my own work
    hibbit
    I merely commented on NUFC360’s header

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:07 PM

hibbit,
    That post he done about Xavi taking the role of Iniesta yattter that I called a load of rubbish, to prove it wasn’t a load of rubbish he posted the exact article his post came from, pretty much word for word, which was my real point and why I called his post a load of rubbish anyway.

• Jib

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:09 PM

OP
    Aye
    Owen 58 starts
    plus 13 subs

• Jib

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:09 PM

In the PL that is

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:10 PM

If Jibs comment was copied and pasted, then the I made this table comment is part of the same the original comment. I don’t think he has claimed it as his work.

I for one didn’t read it like that but if people want another stick to beat him with!!!

• Jib

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:18 PM

Jail
    You are actually wrong
    The original was from an interview on Estadi Estudio a tv footy programme
    when I was in Spain.

I then found an article when you (as is your wont) sneered at it

You should actually compliment me on my translation skill

(I won’t hold my breath)

• chancel be a fine thing

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:19 PM

Reasonably happy with Saturday’s performance, even though we lost the first two goals were easily avoidable. If Kraft had held his ground then no first goal. If Atsu had passed back for someone to hoof instead of trying that turn when marked by two players and in a dangerous position no second goal. If Dubs had not been afraid of getting kicked, he could have easily collected that ball and no second goal. The third goal came when we were more stretched/tired while looking to get ‘more’ on the front foot to equalise and was the only goal I would put down to good play.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:27 PM

chancel

I agree with that assessment and I’d add that a couple of incorrect offside decisions didn’t help our cause, they were the better team on the day but we could probably have got something out of the game.

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned it but the decision to play Krafth before Manquillo is puzzling.

• Jib

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:32 PM

EGB
    That table took me about an hour this morning
    (It should have been quicker but wives insist on
    chewing ones lug off over breakfast)

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:34 PM

Ancient, if you’re around I checked out the Armagh Rhymers and If i’d been able to understand what they were saying would have enjoyed their performances.

I think they are a group to be seen live and from what I was able to pick up I reckon i’d really enjoy seeing them.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:35 PM

Jib

Aye, been there done that! 🙂

• chancel be a fine thing

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:38 PM

On injuries/fitness, I remember Rafa mentioning last season that performance levels go down (from player tracking stats) when players are not fully rested between games and that when players are ‘tired’ in this way there’s a greater chance of muscle injuries. With Shar I suspect that his international duties were directly related to his cramping up and hence increasing the chances of a calf strain. Manager’s should be aware of these risks and he should have been subbed at the first signs of cramping. Shar goes on more lung busting runs than most CBs and I think this is why he is more prone to cramping.
    The idea that to increase the cardiovascular power of an individual, short highly intensive bouts of full energy exercise followed by rest until the heart rate returns to normal; and repeated immediately once standing heart rate is achieved, this leads to longer periods of high intensity until the need to stop and quicker recovery times. This was probably cutting edge 10 years ago. Long runs are not not the answer for modern sportsmen.

• lesh

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:23 PM

Essex

The point is that if someone copies someone else’s work, it’s common courtesy to attribute the post (in this case) to the originator.

It’s not a case of another stick to beat Jib with, he brings it on himself.

• Moonraker15

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:59 PM

Jib
    Totally agree with your frustration over M Owen!
    The man is a total mercenary and took our money with no conscience whatsoever, having let his contract run down at Liverpool meaning they could only get 8 million for him from Madrid.
    He was on Talksport basically running Shearer down whilst claiming he was injured.
    Shearer has maintained dignified silence.
    Annoying little twat he is!