web analytics

Consistent Midfielder Knows What Will Make Or Break This Season

Isaac Hayden made his 25th straight Premier League start at Liverpool on Saturday. It was the corresponding fixture last year where he began his run.

However, Isaac knows that games like away to Liverpool or Manchester City won’t make or break Newcastle’s season. It will be matches like this weekend’s bout against Brighton.

Newcastle dropped into the relegation zone with Aston Villa’s scoreless draw last night against West Ham. While it is still early in the season, this weekend’s home match against Brighton is an important one.

After the game on Saturday, captain Jamaal Lascelles called the Brighton game “massive”.

Speaking in the Chronicle, Hayden mentioned how it is matches like this Saturday’s that are going to determine how well Newcastle do this season:

“Our season won’t be judged on playing Liverpool away.

“The games for us that we have to capitalise on are against Brighton. But we will take a lot from Anfield still.

“The lads gave a good effort, and we now take that into training and look to do our best against Brighton.

“Last year we lost 4-0 and got a proper hammering at Liverpool. Since then, I have cracked on.

I knew I had the performances and confidence inside me to be able to do it. I have proved it to myself that I can do it.”

Isaac could well be pushing for an England place with his displays since the 4-0 loss to Anfield last season. He has become a leader since then while being one of the team’s most consistent performers.

Hayden could find himself partnered with Jonjo Shelvey again at the weekend. We still have not received any indication of Sean Longstaff’s availability. If it is Jonjo in the midfield on Saturday, it will be a game that suits his qualities more than away to Liverpool.

No matter who gets the nod against Brighton, it is an important game. A win is expected, unlike last weekend. The lads will need to show that they can get the wins against teams in and around them.

• Jib

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:17 AM

Villa away to Arsenal
    Sheff U away to Everton
    Hopefully Bournemouth playing a draw with Southampton
    and the same with Burnley v Norwich
    A win v Brighton could shoot us up the table !

• hibbit

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:21 AM

Jib
    we could also drowned if they go wrong

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:26 AM

Bill’s

We agree on nothing, except Dummet, totally agree with your views on the lad.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:33 AM

Jib,

Genuine and civil question. I don’t remember you ever being so anti Rafa before and so pro Bruce now. What has changed? Like Munster you seem to be seizing every opportunty to rubbish Rafa now in favour of Bruce.

Yes we had a bad start wih Rafa last time out but I always felt the quality would come through, even given his very limited resources. When Almiron formed the 3 amigos with Perez and Rondon I was so looking forward to this season.

Now we are in the bottom 3 I am afraid that given bruce’s CV, I don’t have the same confidence we can escape this time round. Rafa performed miracles with a very average squad, I just don’t think the likes of Bruce, McClaren and these lesser coaches can do that. That said, Bruce has probably been told that finishing 17th is good enough and I guess that’s the status quo right now. All very sad and so avoidable.

• martoon

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:39 AM

Rotonda @1 – I have to disagree – both articles were extremely exaggerated. Yes gates are down but I don’t know any ST holder reluctant to go or trying to give their ticket away and there being no takers.
    Likewise we know Shelvey does not have the work-rate of Longstaff or Hayden but the article makes out as if he strolls around and does nothing – he likes a tackle and certainly gets back to help out the defence.

• posada

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:41 AM

Bill’s
    Pace in the game is something I have always found interesting. When I first started going of course we had Supermac. An explosive power sprinter over 30/40 yards.
    Mal said the quickest sprinter at the club over 100 yards was Frank Clark. Not something I’d ever really appreciated.
    World of difference though. 100 yards is a long way for a footballer to sprint.
    Would think Dummet is Frank Clark quick if that makes sense.

Think size is also a factor. You can get a light weight flyer like Almiron. A bigger man like Dummet might not be as quick, but he can just lean on someone lighter and put them out of their stride. It’s not the Olympics with a lane each to run in.

• Ajs22398

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:43 AM

People are saying we can’t use the Leicester game to have a go at Bruce? I’m sorry but when bruce specifically said he was going to target a cup run then made that many changes yes you can use that against him. Especially when people used it against Rafa last year despite him being honest about why we couldn’t go for the cups.

• Jib

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:45 AM

Rotonda
    I react to the lack of time given to Bruce
    In blogland Bruce is written off before he starts
    My comments on Rafa were not judgemental just statements of fact

I will also repeat that posting 2 links to another blog is very disrespectful
    to the Harrisons who already have a link to The Mag at the foot of the page

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:45 AM

In this day in 1997 Tino scored that famous hat trick against Barcelona…

O how times have changed

🙁

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:47 AM

Jib

However posting links to the mag and others is fine when you do it..

Just tell him the truth, you dont give a monkeys and are here to stir.

Telling the truth for once wont kill you.

• Jib

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:57 AM

I only try to post links that are not in the mainstream

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:03 AM

OP,
    Just read it now, it’s frighteningly true isn’t it, i think only Bills son is back, Munster and Jib would or try to disagree with it. However I must let you know that I’m disappointed in the complete lack of respect you showed Ed by encouraging me to read an article on another website.
    Jib,
    Worra plonka you really are! How many links have you posted to other websites over the years?