web analytics

In-Form Winger Is Astute In His Self-Observation

Christian Atsu has been a player reborn over his past seven appearances for Newcastle. Atsu came in for the injured Miguel Almiron for the closing three matches last season and put in some top performances.

He kept that form into this season despite only returning in mid-August after an injury at the Africa Cup of Nations in July.

The big issue with Christian has always been how long can he keep his performances at a high level. He has always been plagued by inconsistency in his time at Newcastle.

Atsu knows this is an issue as he has stated it on numerous occasions. This is what Christian said in the Chronicle in the summer of 2018:

“It’s a mentality as much as anything. I want to be more consistent this season, to be playing more, to score more, and to assist more.

“That’s the mentality I need to have. It will be a lot of hard work, but I believe it’s going to happen this season.”

He also said some of the same things over the international break a few weeks ago:

“I think this is going to be an important season for me. I have been here for four years now – I have had some good times and played some good games, but I still don’t really think people have been able to see the best of me, certainly not on a consistent basis.

“That is the challenge now, to make sure this season is different. I am very happy with the way the team is playing and the way we are trying to press teams – I think that will help with my game.

“The biggest thing for me this season is to be consistent. I’ve had some good performances with Newcastle, but I need to start being more consistent and keeping my standards at the same level through the season.

“That is probably what has held me back in my time at Newcastle so far – I haven’t been consistent enough – and I am working as hard as I can to try to improve that. I feel as though my fitness is getting better, and hopefully, that will help me when I am on the pitch.”

Well, it’s been so far so good for Christian this season. He again put in a good display against league leaders Liverpool. However, he lost possession in midfield which ultimately led to Liverpool’s second goal.

Christian was a bit downtrodden over that as it was a turning point in the game. This is what Christian said about that moment in Chronicle:

“We were in the game – we scored one – then it was unfortunate that I gave the ball away. The second goal was very crucial in this game. I can only apologize to the players and also the fans.”

It was a tough moment for Atsu as he had Firmino and Fabinho hounding him for the ball. Liverpool ended up dispossessing him and, unfortunately, Martin Dubravka couldn’t corral Firmino’s pass into the box.

However, there really is nothing for Christian to have to apologize for. He put in another reliable performance as he continues to impress at Newcastle.

• Jib

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:02 AM

Christian seems to be a better player every time he returns from
    National duty with Ghana – each time he comes back you can see an improvement
    I wonder if it’s down to Ghana National coach James Kwesi Appiah who worked on
    his coaching at both Man City and Liverpool

• toon22

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:03 AM

Ahh JIB

Funny how you’ve turned into Munster lol

Let’s see what happens Wednesday

• simon376

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:05 AM

Toon22
    Why Wednesday, is that the find an auditor deadline day? It’s going to get very interesting

• toon22

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM

Yep

He either appoints one by then or has to tell the government

JIB

When do you suppose the next fans forum will be held ?
    Was under the impression it’s a legal requirement of the club

• toon22

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:09 AM

Once the government gets involved it’s out of his hands after that

It’s why he’s been buying stuff, in an attempt at being too big to fail

Hahahahaha

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM

Not sure how far the bus went but I’ll spare the repost.

• RobLeenio

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:21 AM

On Atsu and Dummett, you couldn’t really get much different in terms of playing style, but both have been (rightly) earning the plaudits this season for some very good performances.

If you look a bit closer, there are some similarities:

– Both are 27 years old, so coming into their ‘prime’ years as outfield players.

– Both have learned to show consistency game after game, which is difficult when you are playing Liverpool one week, Brighton the next.

– Both have a very strong work ethic and are desperate to graft on and off the ball.

– Both are very honest and put their hands up when they make a mistake.

These are the kinds of players we need to be building our squad around, but something in the back of my mind suggests that they are prime candidates for sale in the next season or two (I haven’t looked at the cotract sitution of either, btw).

• Jib

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:21 AM

I get the definite impression that Liverpool are focusing on the League this season
    They are away to Napoli tonight yet only rested Henderson and Firminho (who was forced to come on for an injured Origi) against us.
    Talk to most Liverpool fans and they think the PL title should be a priority

• hibbit

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:23 AM

i’m sure if Ed or Neil feel that someone is abusing the the blog by by posting links to other sites they would have pointed it out long ago, not waited for Jib to try and carry favour with them, while trying to improve his brownie points total after his time on the naughty step 😉

• Jib

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:23 AM

Atsu June next year
    Dummett June the year after

• hibbit

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:32 AM

i suspect Jib is trying to keep his nose clean after his time in solitary !!!!!!!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:32 AM

Links to other sites are both reasonable and I would say an accepted occurrence in any blog.

If the people criticising fellow bloggers care to scroll down to the bottom of this (or any of Neil and Ed’s threads) you will find a list of other blogs. No real attempt by our esteemed author’s for an exclusive hold over those who log onto this blog.

• Jib

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:38 AM

Bill your kinda missing the point
    I pointed out the links at the bottom
    Rotonda never posts anything thoughtful or informative
    however he regularly posts links to The Mag – almost as
    if he has a connection with them
    Could it be ?
    Nah that would be really sneaky
    😛