web analytics

Freddie Woodman Reveals His Two Biggest Newcastle Influences As He Shines At Swansea

Freddie Woodman has been making a name for himself on loan at Swansea this season. The 22-year-old has started all seven league games since joining the Championship club on August 1st.

He has endeared himself to the Swansea faithful by keeping three clean sheets and making some world-class saves. Swansea find themselves second in the table to Leeds only on goal difference.

However, Freddie is a Newcastle player and, if he continues on this upward trajectory, could become the Newcastle number one in a few years.

Freddie has done an interview with Wales Online in which he speaks about his parent club. He has only positive things to say about Newcastle:

“I was in a comfort zone (at Crystal Palace), but I think it was the best decision I ever made, they are such a great club with such a great set of fans, and I have worked with some incredible coaches and players.”

Many Newcastle fans have kept a close eye of Freddie’s development this season. They will be pleased with what they have seen as he has been one of the top keepers in England’s second division.

Freddie Woodman– future Newcastle number one?

Freddie spoke about two of the people at Newcastle who have been most influential in his development. Both are no longer at Newcastle, though they have special ties with the fans of the club. They are Tim Krul and Rafa Benitez. This is what Woodman had to say about those two:

“Tim Krul was massive for me, he was basically my coach there, and he gave me so much advice. We set goals together and he was a major influence.

“When England won the Euros at under-17 level, he called me up to congratulate me, and he told me ‘I have got you tickets for Holland v Brazil at the World Cup in Brazil’. So before I knew it, I was going out to the World Cup.

“That was unbelievable, and I still speak to him, and I am so glad to see him back in the Premier League.

“Rafa was also brilliant for me, he gave me my debut, which is something I will always be grateful for.

“I think I improved so much under him, his attention to detail was just incredible. Picking his brain was a real education, I loved talking to him about football, his career and his knowledge.

“I learned so much from him, and he was so open and happy to share and I really enjoyed my time with him.”

Tim Krul is playing excellently for Norwich City in his return to the Premier League. We couldn’t be happier for Tim, who deserves the success he is currently enjoying. Having come through the ranks at Newcastle himself, his experiences will have played a big part in Freddie’s early development.

Rafa Benitez gave Woodman his debut in the FA Cup last season. He, of course, is a legend of the game who made a lot of Newcastle players better under his tutelage. Unfortunately, Benitez is now in China at Dalian Yifang.

Freddie should, hopefully, be in the line for a new deal at Newcastle. His current one runs out in 2021. We hope that after the club get Martin Dubravka, Isaac Hayden, and Fabian Schar on improved contracts, they will work to keep Woodman at this club for years to come.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:15 PM

“Rafa was also brilliant for me” !!

Nice to know a former player is giving him credit for once!

• Moonraker15

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:26 PM

So Jib says “the club have to find £25 million for wages etc”!
    FFS they haven’t spent the money for the transfer budget (£91 million) yet! You trying to say they are existing hand to mouth when there’s millions coming in.
    Why you still supporting the regime you to$$er?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:27 PM

Freddie,
    You’ve just gone right down in Murton Mag’s estimations with that statement, you were meant to say he was a cold hearted barsteward who didn’t give a foot about anybody but himself.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:36 PM

I like that idea of meeting up. We’d all be wondering who was jib and if he’s coming as only himself. Be good for taxi rides home though.

• Mag52

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:37 PM

Rotunda.

I’m still banging on about goalies passing it out to defenders and getting caught out when a nippy forward robs the defender of the ball, creating a goal chance out of nothing.
    You say Man.City and the top teams are now playing this way. I’d say that most PL sides have decided to play this way, and for the weaker teams, whose defenders are not so comfortable on the ball as those in the better teams, it’s,IMO, a huge risk to take. Even players as good on the ball as Arsenal conceded a dreadful goal last weekend to Watford by trying to play out from the back. When Man.City started it, the attackers were unused to the idea, but now attackers are all over the defenders as they anticipate a pass out from the goalie, and the defence ends up with all sort of problems.
    A long punt up the field might not be that elegant, but at least you have all your defenders in place if the opposition picks up the goal kick.

• Ron Knee

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:37 PM

“I learned so much from him (Rafa), and he was so open and happy to share and I really enjoyed my time with him.”

And there came no reply from the fjords.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:37 PM

sunderland being bought by billionaires. could only happen to us. . . . d’oh!!!

• Rotonda heights

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:43 PM

mag 52

my point was if you aren’t technically good enough to play in the PL and do that sort of thing then why are you there? It’s sad when you see the full backs just turn their back on their keeper and run away expecting the big boot up field. With Bruce favouring long ball football at S’land and Villa you are never going to see Lascelles or Dummet play it out from the back anyway.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:44 PM

@Rotonda

Maybe Sunderland bypassing us and being properly run might wake up all those who still think Ashley is doing the right thing by the club …….

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:45 PM

Has he been arrested yet?

• martoon

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:54 PM

I think although we would hate to admit it the makems do have potential with their Stadium and their support. So any potential buyer of us or them is going to have to invest heavily but the difference is they can buy them for a fraction of the cost of nufc and then of course there is the matter of prising things from Ashleys sticky grasp such as the catering & club shop.

• Mag52

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:20 PM

Rotunda,

I may be wrong, I probably am, but I see this passing out from the back as a bit of a passing fad, especially when it occurs early in the game when the defenders have hardly had a touch of the ball.
    The idea of Lascelles having the ball rolled out to him in his own penalty area, with the likes of Sterling and Aguero bearing down on him keeps me awake at night.

• IrishRob

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:22 PM

ASI….. Yeah maybe it is a bit of hope talking, but hes the exact type of forward we have been crying out for. A proper tall lanky forward who’s better with the head than the foot.

I think because we are not great at crossing, with Carroll giving them an easier target it might just work.

And if Andy is on the end of a headed cross that’s a half decent chance, it’s a goal all day long.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:22 PM

The Wife

You could organise a blog charity boxing match.

All funds to SBR foundation

• Oldgit1

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:45 PM

With Sunderland being taken over could open the way for big Sam to being the manager, so can’t see us having difficulty in keeping ahead of our rivals.

• martoon

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:48 PM

hibbit @12 – I think that article is basically saying the same as I am and to be honest I’m not sure why they had to get a football financial expert to tell them what is blindingly obvious!

• Reilly

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:54 PM

It will cost the new owners of the scum a fortune to get to our level.Plus FFP will not help them.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:02 PM

Reilly

5 years max

• Reilly

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:03 PM

The fat tw@t will be gone by then.

i hope.

• martoon

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:05 PM

Reilly – True but they’ve just about got the players now to get back to the Championship and then they would have to invest to get to the Premiership. However they’ll cost about £50m whereas we are North of £300m so they could invest £200m (FFP allowing) and still be quids in!

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:07 PM

Oldgit

Total sport 2 nights ago Sam was mentioned, apparently he’s thrown his hat into the ring…

Not sure if theres any truth in it but the fans were talking positively about Sam.

Theyd love to have him but believe his wages would be far too much.

• Reilly

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:07 PM

They are sruggling now in L1,they want the manager sacked. 😆

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:09 PM

According to their fans, appointing Sam at xmas if they aren’t in a automatic promotion spot, would all but guarantee back to back promotions..

I did chuckle

• IrishRob

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:18 PM

Reilly, I just checked. They are 4th with 1 game in hand and if they win that they are 1 point off 1st. That’s hardly struggling smh! Got my Hope’s up.

• geordietom

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:20 PM

did Ashley find a Auditor ??? …

• toon22

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:24 PM

Jabba is asset stripping us

JIB is defending him

Let’s hope the government takes him to the cleaners

• RobLeenio

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Much as it may please some on here, I think the Government have no interest in taking Jib to the cleaners.

• geordietom

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:30 PM

Rob …

😉 😀

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:56 PM

Jib might take the government to the cleaners…

In his Taxi