web analytics

New Signing Is More Than Willing To Accommodate Returning Star

Steve Bruce commented this morning on the options he has in attack with the return of Andy Carroll and Allan Saint-Maximin from injury. Here is a clip of Bruce’s press conference where he mentions how the versatility of Joelinton can help with options upfront.

Joelinton actually played on either flank in two matches against Manchester City in the Champions League. The game Bruce is referencing saw Joelinton play on the left with Andrej Kramaric as the number 9. However, in the earlier home match against the Premier League champions, Joelinton was on the right as Hungarian Adam Szalai led the line. He also played with a strike partner against Lyon when Hoffenheim transitioned to a 3-5-2.

Joelinton is a versatile player who has improved quite a bit in his hold-up play over the last three matches. He seems to have learned that he is not going to get any time on the ball and has made the transition superbly. We have been so impressed with the big man in possession when he shields off defenders and gets the ball to advancing teammates.

We are anxiously waiting to see what a Joelinton/Carroll combo could look like. Playing Joelinton on the left may be the best option which could be why Bruce mentioned it. With a marauding Jetro Willems down that flank, Joelinton will have some freedom to roam inside and find space when on the attack. We also have the ultra-reliable Paul Dummett on the left side of the back three.

Joelinton also seems happy to do whatever it takes to help out this team. This is what Joelinton said to nufc.co.uk about adjusting his roll with the returning Andy Carroll:

“Last season at Hoffenheim I played with another No. 9, and I can also move position if the coach asks me. It’s the coach’s choice if he wants to be playing with one or two up top; if he wants there to be two, then that’s fine.

“I just want to help Newcastle out – be it playing as a No. 9 or a No. 10, dropping a bit further back. I always just want to help the team and give my all on the pitch, and try and make that lead to a win. I’m here to help in whatever position I have to play in.”

Joelinton seems a great lad, and he has improved so much since the match at Norwich City. With Andy Carroll and Allan Saint-Maximin about to make there return, it will relieve some of the pressure on the Brazilian. We are eager to see what these three new signings can do together on the pitch.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:07 PM

Brewce never mentioned seeing him before, it was one of the staff who’d gone to watch Man City at one of those Championship clubs he was at, probably the tea lady.

• Mindshaft

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:23 PM

I’d be surprised if we got more than 20 mins off Carroll – doubt he’ll play a full game all season

• Our Toon

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:32 PM

Jail

100% rada got the best out of rondon, rondon took it all on board aswell which is why they’ve been reunited. I feel theres a few in the current squad, like shelvey for example who seem to be blowing smoke up SB arse when in reality it’s his own shortcomings which have resulted in him being dropped

• RobLeenio

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM

Carroll wont plat the full 90 minutes all season, you’d be a fool to expect him to. Bruce may not be Rafa, but I don’t think he’s a fool either.

That’s not to say he can’t have an impact, and I expect to see him come on this weekend. I also think there’s a good chance he’ll score, then get injured in the celebration, though I hope I’m wrong. About the injury, not the goal.

• Just a fan

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:53 PM

Ancient c
    According to those figures they had a profit net spend on transfers most recent seasons.

• RobLeenio

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM

Joelinton seems to have a cracking attitude towards his profession. He may well find playing with ASM and / or Carroll, he gets a bit more space to himself as each of them adds a bit more of a physical presence than Atsu and Almiron.

That’s not to put Atsu and Almiron down, just to point out that they are different players.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:02 PM

Carroll and Almiron – Why Davies and Pop Robson
    Carroll and JoeLinton – Supermac and John Tudor
    or
    Shearer and Sir Les – without the goals

• lesh

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:06 PM

Bettysbollocks

So, media reporting of recent events seems to have impregnated a new word into your lexicon.

Did you really know the of the word prorogation before Cummings got BJ to abuse that prerogative? Probably not and along with many more you’ll parrot from your preferred media, you’ll continue to use it for some time along with democracy, 17.4m, will of the people, betrayal etc etc.

Sadly, it’s people like you, the easily led, that helped a former German corporal take control of their destiny and a ruler who worked on the premis that if he didn’t like what he was hearing or they were making life difficult for him, he’d shut the offending voice up. Sound familiar?

Oh, and I’m only responding to your provocation.

• RobLeenio

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Charlie “Shearer and Sir Les – without the goals”

Ooh, a bit early to be making that kind of statement I think. Besides, I think Carroll will be an impact sub. Wait for the opposition defence to be worn out chasing Miggy / ASM / Atsu around all afternoon, then take one of them or Joelinton off and unleash the beast.

Andy Carroll in a twenty minute spell at the end of the game will either get goals or make the space for others to score, no doubt about it.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Rob
    What I was trying to say
    Nice to see two forwards playing off each other – big n little in
    Strong and fast one

• RobLeenio

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Charlie, I hope that’s how it works, actually. One thing I never quite understood re Rafa was his reluctance to play two up top. When Gayle and Mitro played together vs Norwich that one night in the Champo, they were unstoppable for 30 minutes, yet they never really had the chance to do it again.

Now, I’m not saying he was wrong, the promotion that season as Champions was a great feat, as were the two mid-table finishes in the last two Premier League seasons, but I was surprised that he didn’t ever see two strikers as being an option.

Gayle and Carroll could well work, too, with ASM and Joelinton wide of them.

Honestly, it’ll be nice to have a few options up front and not be paranoid about losing our one reliable striker to injury.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:35 PM

Rob
    My point the Norwich game
    Also the QPR away game scored 6 could of been a lot more
    Last season Rondon for me was left to isolated not a player within twenty yards of him when he held the ball up – all to often we relied on Perez to link up
    Same this season all to often with JoeLinton
    Be interesting if Bruce takes the handbrake off Saturday

• Mag52

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:04 PM

If nothing else, Carroll coming on with twenty five or so minutes to go will get the crowd going, which in turn will inspire the players. If he can keep fit there could be some rousing finishes at SJP this season.

• Munster Mag

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:53 PM

Nah Steve listen to Jail. He knows best what affect Andy coming in will have on Joe.