web analytics

Signing This Player Long-Term Should Be The Club’s Top Priority

On August 1st, Freddie Woodman signed a one-year extension on his current deal to 2021. He also joined Swansea on a season-long loan. While this was a positive development for the club, it was basically a stop-gap measure that just kicked the can down the road so to speak.

Freddie has gone to Swansea, so far, demonstrated that he has the potential to be a top goalkeeper. The 22-year-old has started every game in the Championship since his arrival.

Swansea has suffered just one defeat with Freddie minding the net. The England Under-21 international has provided key saves and 3 clean sheets.

As the end of Woodman’s extension gets closer to expiring, it’s time for Newcastle to start planning for the future at the goalkeeper position. There is a report in the Chronicle that says Newcastle plan to do just that.

The report says that while current number-one Martin Dubravka is set to sign a new deal, the club see Woodman as the long-term answer between the sticks. The trick is going to be convincing Freddie that he will get an opportunity at Newcastle.

Last season, Woodman made his Newcastle debut in the FA Cup which he recently spoke about to Wales Online:

“Rafa was also brilliant for me, he gave me my debut, which is something I will always be grateful for.”

While last season saw Freddie get his debut, it was also one of frustration for the youngster. He desperately wanted first-team football on loan but was denied that opportunity.

This season he is getting that at Swansea. He is likely going to want that next season as well. So Newcastle will have to implement a plan that works for both the player and the club. The problem for Newcastle is that Freddie holds all the cards with his contract set to expire in two years.

One solution could be to allow Freddie to go on loan next season to a Premier League side, maybe even Swansea if they get promoted. Another possibility could be to keep Woodman at Newcastle and give him the opportunity to play in the Cups next season while being Dubravka’s understudy. He maybe could even get the odd Premier League start as well.

However, the first priority is to get Woodman on a long-term deal. It will be such a gut-punch to see this young talent walk away in the summer of 2021. That cannot be allowed to happen.

• AncientC

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:52 PM

Brighton have been playing a 3-4-3 this season. This is a great litmus test for Bruce. Playing at home against a 3-4-3, Bruce should be expected to come up with something to beat them.

• Trent1211

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:54 PM

My Dad has some very serious health problems so I’m very much aware of the value of being well and mindful of Ed’s health so I don’t say this lightly. I wish Ashley dead. I hope he ends up bankrupt, ill and unloved. He’s a disgusting gluttonous excuse for a human being. Howay the lads!

• chancel be a fine thing

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:02 PM

Missed the bus:
    As for the Norwich game, that was an exciting a finish as I’ve seen in a match. The introduction of the two up top happened when Norwich were sitting back and defending their lead. Who knows how the match would have gone if we had started with two up top.
    Personally i would have liked to have seen us play Gayle and Mitro up top at home against the ‘lesser’ teams, like Blackburn, who defended deep and did us on the counter.
    It’s interesting that we beat Brighton in the championship home and away when they were mostly on the front foot against us, but have failed to take three points from them in the premier league where they tend to sit deep and play us on the counter, at least at at At James.

• Munster Mag

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Completely agree chancel re two up front for appropriate games. Tactical consistency and caution doesnt always pay off. Despite what many liars like to espouse on here about what I said re benitez, eg criticising us v top teams like liverpool, it was the caution against beatable teams, or teams worse than us, that at times grated with me. And I cudnt , and didnt, give a flying shite if the high church of the taliban dont like it. And is SB really criticising Rafa re lack of goals? I dont think so. Im still not optimistic re SB, just hoping. Huge measurement today.

• Bobbybee

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:20 PM

Chancel, can’t expect her to go to every game mate, coz she claims she doesn’t like football, which I question seriously because she gets just as carried away as me at games. 😀
    Her five games have been spread out over a decade, BUT, it doesn’t take away her record so I’ll happily take three points today if she can keep it up. Three away games and two at home so this levels it out. I’m totally confident we’ll win again today. She’s been my lucky charm for 25 years, so she can be ours again today. 🙂

• toon22

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:24 PM

Munster

Slated a world class manager
    Is optimistic about the 2nd worst manager in prem history

Think of it as you will

• Munster Mag

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:34 PM

Slated? Dont be silly frog. Ive already said id prefer him here. Shouldnt stop a full critique though. Oh look Jail, your favourite word. Suck it up.

• Munster Mag

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:35 PM

Come back to me when you have a valid argument.

• Munster Mag

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:36 PM

And where did I say I was optimistic? Im just hoping for the best. Muppet.

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Trent1211 – I wish Ashley dead. I hope he ends up bankrupt, ill and unloved. He’s a disgusting gluttonous excuse for a human being.

I think anyone who has that much bile in them is, in your words, a disgusting gluttonous excuse for a human being.

• Reilly

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:56 PM

WOW.That was tight.

• Bobbybee

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:01 PM

I’m with you Munster. I didn’t want Bruce either – who did? – but now he’s here I want him to surpass all expectations – if there were any! 🙂
    I’ll be more than happy for him to confound all of us and do something stupid, like winning a cup. Not much chance, but it would make a better Netflix series than down the road.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:02 PM

Munster

Would you stop bringing my names into your posts.

Even your son knows better than to listen to you regarding football, spend a bit more time with him and you may learn something.

• Bobbybee

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:03 PM

Reilly, crazy innit? When it’s down to mm I think it should be a goal. Call it what it is – level.

• Reilly

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:06 PM

Defo bobby.

• Trent1211

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Bills son taking sides with the parasite. Part of the problem. If you’re not furious with Ashley as a Newcastle supporter there’s something wrong with you. Apologist.

• Bobbybee

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:13 PM

Cracking goal that matey.

• Jib

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:13 PM

“Trent1211
    I wish Ashley dead.”

You seriously see nothing wrong in that ?

• hibbit

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:13 PM

summery from .com

Academy:
    White lightning!

mackem U18s 1 Newcastle U18s 2

United’s U18 side produced a last-gasp effort to overturn a 0-1 deficit at the academy of light on Saturday morning and win the Tyne-wear derby.

Trailing to a 50th minute header, the black and whites had shown little sign of getting back into the game until Joe White crossed from the right with two minutes remaining – and Josh Harrison knocked the loose ball home to level the scores.

White himself then won it in the second minute of added time, breaking into the area and shooting beyond former Magpie custodian Adam Cameron.

Team: Brown, Oliver, Midgley, Carlyon, Swailes (Brannen 80), Gamblin, Gilchrist, Rounsfell (Scott 80) Stephenson, White, Harrison
    Sub n/u: Marshall………..

like watching paint dry the first but very much better second,
    first live toon game of the season really enjoyed it

• Ron Knee

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:14 PM

Nice goal.

• Trent1211

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:14 PM

Also saying I’m gluttonous makes no sense you nugget.

• Jib

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:17 PM

Maddison injures himself !

• carltoon

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:21 PM

Trent no one likes Ashley, never read one poster say they want him hear. Please never wish anyone dead. It’s football!

• Trent1211

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:22 PM

Jib no I don’t. His life of greed and ruining of our club means I’d be ecstatic if he died. Unapologetically.

• Munster Mag

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Trent im my opinion you are one if the better posters on here but death. Leave it out ffs.

• Munster Mag

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:27 PM

And you got 6 hearts for that. What sort of loons are on here?and we had someone else saying Jib ( I think?) knew what ashleys bum tasted like. Sweet jeezus divine.

• Trent1211

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:27 PM

I’m not about to kill him! Seems to me him keeling over on one of his vomiting in fireplace binges is the only way he’ll go. It’s generally in very poor taste but there’s an exception to every rule and he’s it. Sorry. Can’t go in reverse on it.

• AncientC

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:31 PM

I cannot say I have much sympathy for Tottenham. If ever there was a great time to buy Newcastle—willing seller permitted—now would be the time. The foundations at the top of the table are crumbling; aside from maybe Man City and Liverpool.

• Bobbybee

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:33 PM

Sort of thing a five year old might say really. I’m sure we’d all love to see him suffer bankruptcy and end up alone and unhappy – serve him right – but dead? Totally OTT lad, whether you see it or not.

• swemag

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:34 PM

Brendan Rogers will take Leicester to a top 4 finish.
    In the summer he will be poached by Man Utd after Solskjear has been fired after finishing 7th. He will bring Madison with him for 90 million pounds.

• Sack Llambias

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:35 PM

AncientC
    You seem to know as much about football as Magic Grandpa.
    How’s about us playing 3-4-3 as well!
    It’s not rocket science – not everyone sits on the fence.

• swemag

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:36 PM

…and I wish we had taken Rodgers to manage the Toon. We would finish top 8 with him.

• Bobbybee

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:36 PM

Ancient, agree mate. From what I’ve watched this season so far there’s Liverpool and City miles ahead and then 18 other clubs who could end up in any position. Pity we’ve got a lack of ambition upstairs, but it might tempt someone to take interest and put a real offer in.

• geordietom

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:38 PM

spurs second goal off side by a 1 millimetre , i always thought the decision went with the forward …

• geordietom

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:39 PM

bring back human error …

• Trent1211

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:39 PM

Alright I’ll concede some thing are better left unspoken. No doubt this will be a stick to beat me with by the Jiberatti so it’s ill advised but I want him gone from our club and cannot fathom any tolerance of him. Plenty of that around. Don’t give him a penny. Don’t endorse his regime. Out of the mouth of babes B Bee.

• Munster Mag

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:40 PM

What happened with spurs?

• Bobbybee

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:43 PM

Tom, couldn’t agree more mate. 1mm ffs. That’s level in my eyes. Got no love for Spurs but if you’re going to go that technical on offside then there’s other things you should watch for – like corners given as goal kicks and vice versa.

• geordietom

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:43 PM

munster …

they were robbed by 1 millmetre …

my opinion goal should of stood …

• Bobbybee

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:44 PM

Trent, it was a daft thing to say and you’ve admitted so yourself. Let’s leave it now. No harm done