web analytics

Peter Kenyon Sought MSD Partners As Investors Before GACP Sports

Peter Kenyon is reportedly in the midst of a £300m takeover attempt of Newcastle United. He has partnered with US-based GACP Sports in an effort to secure a deal with current owner Mike Ashley. Kenyon failed in an attempt earlier this year to purchase Newcastle as he could not secure financial backing.

In January, it was reported that Kenyon was desperate for investors as he tried to meet Ashley’s asking price of £350m. He may have now found what he was looking for in GACP Sports, but whether the two have what it takes to meet Ashley’s high demands is far from certain.

The Daily Mail are reporting that before Kenyon convinced GACP Sports to join him, he held talks with MSD Partners. This is the investment firm who are close to buying League One club Sunderland.

MSD Partners manage the capital of Dell computer’s Michael Dell. Dell, himself, is reportedly a passive investor in the MSD takeover of Sunderland.

However, Kenyon was unable to convince the group to back him and talks broke down. Kenyon later moved on to successfully form a partnership with GACP Sports.

The deal to takeover Sunderland is at an advanced stage with MSD reportedly close to finalizing a deal.

What Will Be The Result Of Sunday's Match At Leicester City?

• Loss (62%, 633 )
  • Win (21%, 219 )
  • Draw (17%, 169 )

Total Voters: 1,021

Loading ... Loading ...

• cyprus

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:59 AM

@25
    Quoting Howe,
    He’s expecting old fashioned management, business and fun don’t mix, and all that.

Peak performance doesn’t have to be that way. In fact, it rarely is.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:00 AM

#ruinded #cursed #bruced

• Moonraker15

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:02 AM

Genjikai

“Corned beef bake” to give it’s proper name!
    Haha my favourite!
    Howay the Lads!

• Lindisfarne

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:11 AM

#standupforGreggs

• Moonraker15

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:13 AM

Jib
    I notice the registered address is Ashley Road, Altrincham!
    Hope this isn’t part of another elaborate hoax!
    I’ll check the address on google!

• Moonraker15

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:18 AM

And yes! Ashley Road, Altrincham, does exist!
    Not getting too excited yet but I would take this buyout in a heartbeat if it means bye bye fat man!
    It may not be rich Arabs but at least we’ll be a football club again!

• IrishRob

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:18 AM

I’m actually quite excited for the match today, I think we will do alright, I’ve a feeling there will be goals in this one. I get a feeling its gonna be a good match, win loose or draw. Hwtl

• Jib

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:19 AM

Ashley is a village south of Atlrincham so seems genuine
    Perhaps someone should do a plane watch on Manchester AP
    😛

• Moonraker15

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:21 AM

Can you imagine the sheer joy of United fans everywhere, if and when Ashley goes?
    We will be truly United again!

• geordietom

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:33 AM

our club feels like a house with all the children gone. more empty seats. the death of our club is like an open wound .it seems like we have left a big part of our lives back there …

• IrishRob

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:34 AM

As much as I dont want Ashley I dont want a broke consortium with far less money who have to do a whip around just to get some money to spend, and 50M cash injection which has to be used for EVERYTHING not just transfers probablygives us 20-25M for actually transfers. It’s not looking exciting if that’s all we have to look forward to.

I dont think that’s gonna help us, maybe the change could be good but I don’t see how our fortunes are gonna change under this new crowd. Anyones thoughts??

• hibbit

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM

IrishRob

do you think this deals going though , no one else seems to think so ??????

• Moonraker15

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM

IrishRob
    My thoughts are this;
    I’m sure Ashley has been taking money out of the club for years! Our revenues against transfer spend proves this, so shortage of money is not a new thing.
    If this consortium is trying to build a successful football club then I’m all for it.
    Ashley has stripped our club of its purpose and alienated the fans along the way.
    We just need to get back to being a “Football club” again and then go from there!

• Moonraker15

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Hibbitt
    I think there’s something in this! Kenyon ‘s name was used before and was discredited but I don’t think he would allow it to be used again if he wasn’t trying to push through an acquisition.
    Let’s face it! Just having him as ceo would be a big improvement rather than Charners !

• mindcompressor

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:53 AM

Oh, too many empty seats, so he decided to play fakeover card? So early? I’m bit surprised.

• Moonraker15

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:57 AM

mind compressor
    I don’t think this story will have much effect on gates. People that have decided to stay away will take more convincing than a story in the papers.
    Definite news and a few good results will start the return but we don’t stay away on a whim! This is years of disappointment!

• hibbit

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Moonraker15
    i think Kenyon has the ability to turn us round off the pitch with the commercial side of things, as long as its a clean brake with Ashley and SD,
    now the on the pitch side of things is a whole different ball game, a lot will depend on how soon things happen ( if they do) and how soon we can get rid of Bruce and a new manager in to at least give us a chance of staying in the Prem which with the kind of deal Kenyon is trying to swing will be all important to its success.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:21 AM

Are people really getting excited about this. It just doesn’t add up. Firstly it means him settling for 300M where 350M has been is figure, what’s an extra 10M to a billionaire he claimed, so 50M cheaper despite adding 30M net to the playing squad. 175M over three years also relies on us staying in the PL to pay that back and the only reason this sale will go through because the fat footer has realised we’re going down the swanny. Peter Kenyon and his group must also realise that Bruce is a middling Championship manager with a history of relegating teams and how is the money going to be paid back while at the same time funding a promotion push. Nope, none of this adds up so not sure what to make of it all.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:23 AM

hibbit,
    It was on Look North that the deal involved the SD hoardings staying up and do you think he’s just going to let that merchandise deal go for nothing, it’s all very sinister to me and it’s not going to end well for us.

• hibbit

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:33 AM

Jail
    just to make it clear i don’t think this deal will go through and certainly not in the way the deals being described in public,
    for this to happen with the numbers being thrown out there by Kenyon Ashley would still want his cut for years to come and his sticky fingers would still be in the till,

• IrishRob

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:37 AM

Hibbit….. naah I dont think its gonna go through at all, I’m just speaking about it if it were to go through.

Ever since Bruce joined I’ve always got the feeling he was only brought in to keep things afloat for 6months or a year and make way for someone like Jose if we got bought out. I don’t know why but its a feeling.

• IrishRob

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:39 AM

Moonraker #56 I agree completely. This isn’t Ashley’s doing whatever is going on. Nothing is gonna help the gates now except results or Ashley selling.

• Moonraker15

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:52 AM

Jail
    I read that the SD trash stayed up until all the money is paid; so 3 years! I would accept that knowing that fatso was gone as long as there aren’t other issues like merchandising like the Rangers debacle!