web analytics

Steve Bruce Not Tempted To Change Star’s Position

Earlier this week, a report in the Daily Star had suggested that Steve Bruce was looking at options to “stiffen” his midfield after the poor showing against Brighton last Saturday.

One option Bruce was considering, according to the report, was playing Fabian Schar in an anchor role and bringing Federico Fernandez into the backline. We are not sure what that would do to the formation, but it would presumably result in Bruce transiting to a back four.

That report, however, may have been a little wide of the mark. Steve Bruce has given an exclusive interview with Sky Sports in which he was asked about moving the Swiss defender into the midfield. This was Bruce’s response.

“I’m sure he could [play in midfield]. I’ve never really looked at it though.

“He’s a center-back and because he’s very good on the ball people are obviously speculating about it. At a push, I’m sure he could go into midfield, but I think he’s a central defender.”

It doesn’t look like Steve is considering this move from these remarks. He, obviously, recognizes that Fabian could play a midfield role. But it seems like he would only move him further forward if forced due to injuries.

Fabian Schar– scoring against Watford

We checked Schar’s playing history at club level and did find one instance when Schar played an anchor role in the midfield. While with Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga, Fabian played defensive midfield in a 1-0 victory against Wolfsburg in March of 2016.

While it’s easy to speculate how a player will respond when moving to an unfamiliar role, Schar already plays a vital role at Newcastle. We don’t think moving him into the midfield is necessary at this point. Isaac Hayden and Sean Longstaff are more than capable as a midfield pairing for Newcastle. A lot of the issues at Brighton might have been less drastic if Longstaff was involved in the game.

He looks set to return at Leicester City on Sunday. In both of Newcastle’s dreadful performances this season, the 22-year-old was missing in some aspect. He was injured against Brighton while only coming on at Norwich City as a substitute. We hope to see a much-improved performance against Leicester City with Sean in the team.

What Will Be The Result Of Sunday's Match At Leicester City?

• Loss (62%, 633 )
  • Win (21%, 219 )
  • Draw (17%, 169 )

Total Voters: 1,021

Loading ... Loading ...

• toon22

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:38 AM

I doubt the traitor knows which end he goes to the toilet with

• Genjikai

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:51 AM

Going for another win the day me.
    2-1 to toon as i have predicted all year up to date.
    Almiron and maxi
    Howay the lads.
    Haware the toon.
    Listening to rodgers hes under estimating us totally.

• toon22

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:52 AM

Yer Gen
    I can’t ever say we will be beaten either

1-0 the toon

• Genjikai

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:59 AM

Kills the soul thinking of the toon losing.
    Just cant be done.

• JimmySaivet

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:06 AM

And theres me saying we should swap Hayden and Schar a few months back!

Schar is a ball player with an eye for a pass. I dont see why not to be honest.

Hayden is more of a CB type player and less interesting on the ball. Haydens not bad at that part of his game to be fair to him but nothing like Schar on the ball. Hayden is our best tackler by a mile though!

I dont think it’s the end of the world to try it out.
    Atleast in a cup competition wouldn’t be a bad shout!

I’d give this a go in the next cup game (if all are fit)…

Maximin———-Joelinton———-Almiron
    Willems—–Schar—–Longstaff—–Manq
    ——-Dummet—-Lejuene—-Hayden——–

I would look to bring on Atsu/Muto/Carrol to give something upfront. Shelvey can give us some creativity in the middle if needed. Ritchie and Yedlin can bring pace/delivery on the flanks. Also Lascelles/Fernando can still fill in when needed.

It would be very interesting to see how this team would play.

Probably would never happen though! 🙁

• Assassins Inc

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:20 AM

Genj, my father said that my first game should be one that told a story about something in life that will always travel with you no mater what.

Dec 27 1976 at Home against Sunderland, Cannell, Kennedy score for a two – nil win, my father said later on in life, thank god your first match was a win against Sunderland.

I was six, never heard and saw so many people in my life, have to admit it was a little scary but well worth the baptism.

As for tomorrow, I don’t like us being in the bottom three, really need a win tomorrow to up the spirits, the further up the league we are means one less excuse Ashley can use for the so called takeover.

• IrishRob

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Its unlikely a good defender will be quite as good in midfield, maybe its worth a try but not atm, that’s something he should try when or if were stable in the league.