web analytics

Steve Bruce On Isaac Hayden’s Red And The Complete Surrender At Leicester

Here is Steve Bruce’s post-match interview on Sky Sports:

We found a couple of his comments worth examining. First was the topic of Isaac Hayden’s red card which is in the first part of the interview. This is what Steve Bruce had to say:

“I think when he looks at it. I’ve got no complaints. Maybe back in my day, 20-30 years ago maybe. But in today’s game you can’t follow through and be reckless.

“They’re the ones that really damage people as well. I think when he looks back he’ll know that he was in the wrong.”

We agree with Steve Bruce that it was a fair sending off. While Isaac did win the ball, it was extremely reckless and could have really hurt Dennis Praet. He made contact with his leg really high and it was bad challenge. We don’t think Isaac meant to hurt the Belgian but those types of tackles put players in peril.

In another part of the interview Steve Bruce was asked about whether he thought the players threw in the towel. That came at the 01:50 mark in the video. This was his answer to that question:

“I would think that’s a bit strong it was a difficult one . But the second and third goal came so quickly. That’s summed our afternoon up. A mistake and a bad deflection. After that it became very difficult.

“The defending left a lot to be desired to say the least. It all ended up in a horrible horrible afternoon for all of us.”

The Mirror have published some additional comments from Bruce which are a bit harsher than the ones shown above:

“It was a complete surrender. Too quickly, too easily and we didn’t do enough, especially in the second half to stop the Leicester momentum. We haven’t done the basics well enough against a good team then you will find it very difficult.

“I’ve only been at the club two or three months and not witnessed what I saw today. Too many felt sorry for themselves and we got badly punished. But to react in that way was disappointing for myself and the travelling support which was unbelievable.

“I can’t accept that. Ultimately, I have to accept responsibility because it’s as bad an afternoon as I can remember.

“It was nowhere near what’s required. Even if you have ten men, you can show fight, courage, resilience, whatever you want to call it. We simply haven’t done enough to put anything right.

“We haven’t shown enough resilience and that’s the disappointment. That’s really the only thing I demand off them and unfortunately we didn’t see that today.”

We agree with Steve Bruce’s assessment of they players today. They basically just surrendered once Ricardo scored at the 15 minute mark. The red card made a result highly unlikely but it does not excuse the complete capitulation in the second half. That is something that Steve Bruce is going to have to get to the bottom of and quickly.

• Belfast

Sep 29, 2019 at 8:36 PM

New it was red straight away. Thick as mince.

• toon22

Sep 29, 2019 at 8:37 PM

The traitor is s relegation specialist
    Maybe it’s what Jabba wants ?

• beefman13

Sep 29, 2019 at 8:40 PM

He Should not be here, Lee Charnley what the fcuk were you thinking you silly little p iss pot.

• Belfast

Sep 29, 2019 at 8:42 PM

Goalkeeper needs a good kick up the arse mind. That’s a couple this season already.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 29, 2019 at 8:47 PM

I don’t blame the players at all, I blame the clown that picked the formation and tactics.

I’ve seen most of those players not turn out for Rafa in games, it was never that bad.

The team has bo identity no set tactics or formation and Bruce doesn’t know his best team or how to get anything out of them.

Carver mark 2

Rafa may have moaned about the quality of our squad, yer he excelled in getting 110% out them, Bruce is struggling to get 10%

We paid £40m for a player we don’t give 40 touches a game, did he have a touch in their box today.

The blind leading the blind would be a accurate description of how the club operates.

• c-dog

Sep 29, 2019 at 8:51 PM

Joselu as affective as Joelinton

• toon kk

Sep 29, 2019 at 8:56 PM

Sad to say but the game went exactly how I expected as far as our performance went.
    What a shambles.
    I’m expecting more of the same to come.

Ashley wanting 350 mil?
    We’ll be a championship club next season, big drop in value Ash.
    MA should have backed Rafa to the hilt, maybe one day he will wish he had.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:04 PM

Never seen the blog as collectively angry as today in many a year – if ever.

Even the “usual suspects” now seem to realise what lies ahead – relegation.

If Tubbs does sell up you can rest assured he’ll leave a dagger in the Toons’ back as a farewell gesture.

Todays debacle might make him send out a few more “Kenyon brochures” as a last ditch effort to keep the numbers up for next Sunday.

I’m sure I read that Kenyon is on the board with that Florida outfit. Cannot remember where I read it though.

• MagpieRanger

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:06 PM

All you ever hear from ex players, pundits and blatant associates of Ashley is that he’s a “good businessman”. Well clearly not, imagine turning down £350,000,000 because “what’s an extra £10,000,000 here or there?” We’re not gonna be worth £100,000,000 by May, so who’s this clever entrepreneur we’re lead to believe owns our magnificent club?

• Mister Tuff

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:09 PM

Needs to be said that todays team included 4 -5 who really should not be playing PL football (or trying to play it).

• Bambams

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:11 PM

Not sure if this has been shared already, but other than a slight mistake stating we sold Rondon….This caller hair totally spot on.

• Bambams

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:12 PM

Hair=has

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:17 PM

Lilongwe,
    Not sure if it makes me feel better at all. But when Munster was in full force slating or “”critiquing” our under performing manager and you as the head of Malawian FA or something and one of the most knowledgeable in coaching terms on here backed him up, giving him the licence to say how much clever posters like him saw through the sham that was Rafa Benitez just because you both didn’t like his style of football, aren’t you a little ashamed of yourself now. I know catchy won’t be but I hoped you’d be a little bit better than that.

• Munster Mag

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:14 PM

Jail see my post in last article. You are an embarrassment.