web analytics

No New Bid – Mike Ashley Interviewer Nixes Latest Kenyon Takeover Reports

Mike Ashley was interviewed by the Daily Mail’s Martin Samuel in July on the day that Sports Direct had belatedly issued its annual results. During that interview, Mike Ashley spouted all of his talking points about Rafa Benitez, the BZG takeover, and Newcastle’s transfer strategy. It was less of an interview, than a Mike Ashley soliloquy.

With the recent clamor over a renewed takeover bid by Peter Kenyon and GACP Sports, Samuel is back again with an article in the Daily Mail about how Mike Ashley is a willing seller.

The title of the article, It’s Not Hard To Buy Newcastle United – You Just Need To Find £300m, is all you need to know about the what Samuel thinks of the reported bid by Peter Kenyon. The article basically goes over prior takeover attempts and states that the only reason they didn’t occur is because the buyers didn’t have the funds.

Samuel also tries to highlight that Mike Ashley wants the best for Newcastle and will only sell to a party that will have the club’s best interest at heart. He also compares the projected transfer fees under Peter Kenyon with what Mike Ashley spent this summer. Many Newcastle fans will not be swayed by these assertions.

The article does not represent the latest takeover attempt by Kenyon and GACP in the best of lights. In fact, it classifies it as nothing more than a publicity stunt. This is what Samuel writes about the GACP brochure:

The brochure that has found its way into the public domain looks very much like a rehash of one that might have been in circulation last year, when Kenyon first attempted to raise the funds for Newcastle.

It didn’t get takers then, so why would it now, with Newcastle again drawn into a fight against relegation?

We had our doubts about the reports of a renewed bid by Peter Kenyon. We don’t think he can raise the funds to even get to the table with Mike Ashley. However even if he could, we are highly skeptical that Ashley would be a willing partner on a deal.

• Assassins Inc

Oct 1, 2019 at 2:36 AM

OMG it’s not true. Wtf is going on, I can’t believe it not true, this is heart breaking.

Just so we are clear as I know one person that doesn’t understand Sarcasm or reads the whole thing, I’m being very, very, Sarcastic.

• MagpieRanger

Oct 1, 2019 at 3:57 AM

Surprise surprise

• Assassins Inc

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:58 AM

We are so, so missing Florian Lejeune, always rated him as one of our best defenders.
    Also feel like we are missing the fight from Matt Ritchie, need these two back sooner rather than later.

• yogz69

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:58 AM

Nobody believed this anyway

• toon22

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:02 AM

LoL

• Lindisfarne

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:05 AM

Assassins Inc @1

Do you mean you do not represent a corporate group of killers?

• Assassins Inc

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:31 AM

Lindi, don’t represent, Chairman of the board.
    😉

• Lindisfarne

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:32 AM

I would like to congratulate Yedlin and Lascelles for their environmentally conscious use of a train to London.

• yogz69

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:37 AM

Seems like the players with the owner also don’t give a sh1t about us this season. We are most certainly relegation fodder.

• Jib

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:50 AM

Looks like Bruce may be changing the captain.
    SB was an excellent Captain/CB for ManU he
    must realise Lascelles is not up to it.

• toon22

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:54 AM

I doubt the traitor has the first clue about who should be captain
    His only real talent is relegation

• toon22

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:56 AM

JIB

At Villa he used 3 RB and an un fit CB in s flat back 4
    He has a history of not having a clue what he is doing

A relegation specialist

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:59 AM

Lascelles is a better Capt than Bruce is manager, I bet his win rate in the prem is higher than Bruce’s manager win rate.

• toon22

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:00 AM

In his time here he has shown exactly why he’s the 2nd worst manager in prem history

He hasn’t done a single thing to prove everyone who though he would be rubbish that they were wrong

Until Jabba is gone he remains the best we can get

• Jib

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:14 AM

That’s logical
    Compare a players win rate against a managers
    I bet Bruce’s win rate as a manager is better than Benitez’ as a player
    doh

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:18 AM

Rafa isn’t the manager

• Jib

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:19 AM

OP when you have a badly thought out comment mocked
    It’s advisable to resist the urge to repeat the feat.

• posada

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:21 AM

I hope the de-brief with the players is a two way thing.
    They should have the balls to tell him why they had no belief in his plan.
    The team selection, formation and tactics.
    It’s clear they had no such belief from the start.

Did they tell him last week before the game. Or did they just sit there soaking it in and talking behind his back.

• Jib

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:24 AM

I bet Lascelles’ win rate in the prem is higher than Benitez’ manager win rate
    after the first 7 games of last season

It just goes on and on

In a battle of wits I’m fighting an unarmed man

I wonder if OP has been hanging out with Jail

ha ha ha

• Mindshaft

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:25 AM

Shearers was an excellent CF but still a shot manager, being good at one thing doesn’t translate as being good at another – plain to see that Bruce is out of his depth , how many clear the air meetings has he had already, one after Norwich , one after Brighton and now another – that’s 3 in 7 games , got to be a record but doesn’t bode well for getting the dressing room inside – team has lost the plot completely under Bruce

• Jib

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:29 AM

I’m sure I read somewhere that you cannot sell a PL club without an incumbent manager
    I wonder if after Rafa walked Ashley just went for the cheapest option with all parties
    aware that the new ownership would immediately appoint their own guy.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:31 AM

I understand why and where the Bruce criticism is coming from.

I’ve never seen him speak about Nufc with any affection, usually its “that club” it’s as though the club pissed on his parade and he never forgave it.

If anyone has a interview before he took the job talking warmly with affection I’d be surprised to see it.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar and Alex Ferguson was a exception, thoss days are long gone.

Bruce’s antics on Sunday wont galvanise the squad, itll create factions. If he does change Capt its reactionary not proactive, makes him look inept.

He will reap what he sows

• Jib

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:31 AM

Mindshaft
    If you read my comment with more care you would see my point was
    regardless of his managerial failings if Bruce knows anything it’s
    what makes a good CB/Captain.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:32 AM

Jib

I’d rather hang out with Ashley than you, even he has more class than you.

• yogz69

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:34 AM

I’d honestly make dubs or schar captain or when Ritchie is fit they usually guarantee a decent performance

• Jib

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:35 AM

Mindshaft
    The games you mention
    Brighton Norwich and Sunday’s surrender
    there has to be a finger pointed at the captain.

• Mindshaft

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:43 AM

Jib, sorry mate but personally I think it’s down to Bruce , Lascelles isn’t the greatest captain but I can’t see anyone else filling the role with the players we have – he did the job just fine under Rafa and we never capitulated as against Leicester – however you’ve also missed my point , you can’t have clear the air meetings every other game , it’s no way to run a business without knowing there either needs to be a mass clear out of players or the manager go

• Jib

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:47 AM

Of course Bruce is the main problem
    but that doesn’t absolve others from criticism

• hibbit

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:55 AM

who ever is right or wrong really doesn’t matter anymore, there’s a huge gulf formed between the manager and the players,
    He’s lost the dressing room and that’s fatal, we can’t change the squad so Bruce has to go,
    no and’s if’s or but’s he has to go .

• posada

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:10 AM

hibbit
    Sep 30, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    posada
    i would agree it took me 12 years and even today i find it very hard not to attend and miss it greatly’ but i’m now out till he’s gone Ashley that is not Bruce,
    But you seem more concerned about the few quid you would lose and a cheap metro ride than the state of our club,
    ***********************************
    Hibbitt

You stayed with it long enough. You should not be critical of folks who have decided to stay that bit longer.
    Cheap Metro. Aye, I like it. Metro Mover, Ten Year Deal etc. It’s one of the few things the club has got right in recent years.
    I’ve paid for half of this years ST already. If I cancel the direct debit now and stop going. That would be about £280 I have paid for nowt. Would that bother me ? Not really. Compared to the plight we are in it’s not a big factor. I’ve paid thousands for tickets over the years. I’m comfortable financially and at my age need money for less things.
    I keep going as I don’t think staying away will change anything short term.

So, what next. Boycott a Sky TV game over Christmas ? As I have said the consensus for that is the difficult bit. The protesters twitter among themselves. Will they ever get their message over to the other 40 odd thousand who still go. Who knows.

My prediction. Bruce will go the same way as Carver, Pardew and McClaren. The owner will leave him in post far too long and will neglect his responsibilities to sort it out. We may well be down by Christmas. Next Feb the ten year deals have to be renewed. That’s when things will start to happen. Ashley removed from his Prem TV revenue and the supporters staying away. The club will be worth next to nowt. In many ways great as he won’t get his 350 million.

That’s what is coming. If that’s what it takes then be prepared for it.

This summer we have been conned. By the prospect of Rafa staying. By the hope of a take over.

What is going to happen would have happened in 2016, but for Rafa. In a lot of ways I wish he had never come to Newcastle. Like Villa we might have been on the way back without Ashley.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:17 AM

I think based on Lascelles post match interview, it is more of a case of there being tension between groups of players, as well as some against the manager.

You can criticise Bruce all you like, and he certainly deserves a lot of it, but the players shouldn’t be given a free pass either. We can see players not putting in the effort, and the players will know even better when some just aren’t bothered.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:26 AM

Andy Carroll for captain. You toe the line or I’ll break ya jaw… simples

• Jib

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:33 AM

I’d forgotten about that !
    ha ha ha
    He chinned Steven Taylor

• hibbit

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:55 AM

posada
    yes it did take me a long time and i agree its your right/choice to go to games if you wish,
    but even in today’s reply you seem more concerned about the £280 you would lose than the state of the club,
    i honestly think the time for just seating on our hand has past but at the same time i’m not calling on anyone to boycott i think that’s a choice people will make in there own good time and drop in attendance will grow organically over the coming weeks with the help of Steve Bruce.
    till than i hope we can agree to disagree peaceably

• TyneMouth

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:24 AM

Bruce has gone!

Shola gets the gig, temporary…

Hold on to your hats, the road is going to be rough!

• geordietom

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:26 AM

do the players want to play for Bruce ? …

can Bruce motivate the players ?…

the so called fresh bid off Kenyon is bollocks …

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:32 AM

We can only dream that Bruce has gone

• beefman13

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:33 AM

They need to go to hell in a handcart.