Earlier this month, our readers selected Fabian Schar as the player of the month for August. He narrowly edged out Isaac Hayden by two votes in that poll.
September gave Newcastle fans very little to cheer about in the three matches. The lads amassed just one point and only scored 1 goal as the team now sit firmly in the relegation zone.
We did get to see a phenomenal goal from Jetro Willems and an unbelievable goalline clearance from Fabian Schar. The Brighton match also provided us with the return of Andy Carroll. Other than that, there was little to celebrate.
We have put out our poll for the player of the month for September. The poll is limited to only those players who did well in the individual polls for each of the three matches. From those polls, the following five players are up for our player of the month for September:
- Atsu started all three games in September and had an assist on the Jetro Willems goal at Liverpool. He has been one of the few consistent performers in what has been three very disappointing results.
- Dummett put in a respectable performance against Liverpool in which he was second in the poll for best player. He also had a decent game against Brighton in which the defense was under constant pressure. However, he struggled at left-back on Sunday at Leicester City and had his worst outing of the season by far.
- Hayden has also been a consistent performer this year. Though the midfield was overrun in the three matches last month. Hayden was under constant duress but was always running and trying to make a difference. His tackle on Dennis Praet, though, was reckless and took Newcastle out of the game.
- Fabian has been a shining light for Newcastle this season. He won both player of the match polls for Brighton and Leicester City. His goalline clearance against Brighton was a sublime bit of play. Schar also easily led the way with the most total votes from the three September polls.
- Willems was our lone goal scorer last month. His right-footed blast at Liverpool gave Newcastle a surprise early lead. He also won the best player poll in that game. Jetro struggled though against Brighton before being replaced for Andy Carroll. He also missed out on the Leicester City debacle with a knee problem.
Who Was Newcastle's Player Of The Month For September?
- Fabian Schar (65%, 383 )
- Christian Atsu (13%, 78 )
- Paul Dummett (12%, 70 )
- Jetro Willems (5%, 31 )
- Isaac Hayden (5%, 28 )
Total Voters: 590