web analytics

Star Player Says There Are No Excuses For Leicester Performance

Martin Dubravka getting beat at his near post by Jamie Vardy all but shut the door for Newcastle to get anything out of the Leicester match. While they were under threat ever since the first goal, allowing such a soft goal while being down to ten men basically killed any chance of a result.

After the Dubravka error, the players didn’t coalesce to try and limit the damage. They instead dropped their heads and wholly capitulated leading to a woeful thrashing.

Martin has accepted the blame for the second goal. He also said the team have no excuses for the performance they put in:

“We need to learn from this game, obviously. We leave it behind but we have to learn from the mistakes. The second goal was on myself – I have to be critical. Leicester are playing well, but that’s not an excuse.

“What we did was not enough. Just not enough. (There) were no challenges (and) no second balls, especially in our box. We were not close to them. We gave them too much space and it’s difficult to play against 11 just with the 10 players. But it can’t be an excuse.”

A few of the players have come out and expressed similar sentiments about the surrender at the King Power Stadium. However, this was the second straight performance that was awful. Against Brighton, the team still fought and ended up playing better as the game went on. Though they were overmatched by the dominant visitors.

What we saw against Leicester cannot happen again. Talk right now is cheap. While we do appreciate that the players are holding themselves accountable, we need to see it put right this weekend against Manchester United.

• G

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:35 PM

I’ve never seen a team collapse into a total shambles so fast in my life than we did. Leicester were shooting fish in a barrel. I can’t see any of the football getting any better under SB either. I know people have been absolving him of blame and blaming MA instead, however it’s the managers job to motivate the lads on the pitch, and he couldn’t even do that.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:43 PM

“Play well for the Toon and we won’t stand in your way of moving on to a top six club” HWTL

• toon22

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:45 PM

He’s hasn’t got the ability to motivate the team
    It’s no surprise how things have turned out

Jabba wanted to gamble on players

He was the only mug who would play along

• martoon

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:47 PM

Marzy – that’s a shocker – I hope you make a full recovery.
    If you don’t mind me asking what line of work are you in where that could happen?

• martoon

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:50 PM

On topic – I said after the game that I thought Dubravka could have done better with their first goal as well. It was a well placed shot but without a lot of power and Dubravka’s starting position was to that side of the goal – it maybe harsh but I thought he was slow getting down to it.

• IrishRob

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Hibbit, the only thing I’d waste my time throwing at you is dogshit. Have a nice day though!!

• toon22

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:55 PM

Touch of class irishrob

Why do you bother posting here ?

• Lindisfarne

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Sam Fender:

“Michael Owen is a twat!”

• hibbit

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:56 PM

that the best you can do ,sad little man all that IQ wasted on you then,

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:00 PM

IrishRob is turning from just a blog irritant to a thoroughly nasty piece of work, throwing dogshit? Handicaps, simpletons, how old is this kid??

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:10 PM

Picking dog shit up to throw at someone..

Aye, Robs intelligence shines through.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:11 PM

We’re seeing a lot of this “it’s not Bruce’s fault, Ashley is the problem” However unlike Rafa last year and the year before he hasn’t been striving to make the team better or demand things from the owner. Knowing they were literally desperate and I mean that in every sense of the word to get him, he had the perfect opportunity to say I want a training centre built, I want Rondon (or similar with PL experience) signed to help with Joelinton not some broken down ex fan favourite who wont get anywhere near giving me a good start and I want those two upgrades at WB, considering I’ve got six CB’s. But he didn’t, he boldly claimed he didn’t care what’s happened in the past, in Ashley’s words he didn’t care about “expenses” and all that crap. No, in his own selfish desire to get back in the PL he put himself in a position where his second rate manager mate McLaren failed miserably and his elite predecessor struggled. He is a disaster of his own making and he deserves no sympathy. That’s not to forget who the major blame lies with though.

• Bants

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Recently bought a Rolex on ebay from a seller called R. Benitez from The Wirral.

It’s a dud though – turns out it has two little hands!

• The Sheikh'sMate

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:15 PM

How does Irish Rob know it’s dog shit? Maybe he tastes it first….

• Bants

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:23 PM

He was also selling other stuff, old paintings and a couple of chandeliers left behind by the previous householder when he moved into his new place.

Apparently they are ‘Pre-Rafa-Lights’

• chancel be a fine thing

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:24 PM

Felt at the time that Dubs should have used his foot to try and save that near post shot, a big man is always going to find it difficult to get down quickk enough to get a hand to it.. Also felt his positioning was off. Maybe he was also trying to cover the cross.

• MagpieRanger

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:25 PM

Mike Ashley tells lies

• chancel be a fine thing

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:26 PM

Rafa teams are known to finish the season strongly; Bruce teams are known to finish the season with a different manager.

• c-dog

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:28 PM

Fabian Schar top of the pile for September player of the month
    In 3 games we’ve conceded 8 goals with Schar at the heart of the defense
    I suppose that shows the level of the calibre of player we have further up the pitch
    What does that say about the level of performace from Almiron, Joelinton, Longstaff, Hayden, Atsu

• toon22

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:29 PM

Irishrobs starting to sound a bit like JIB

😉

• chancel be a fine thing

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:30 PM

Longstaff seems to be trying too hard this season. Last season he knew his role and seemed to follow that instruction. I don’t think he’s the only one, I honestly can’t think off a player who looks better this season.

• chancel be a fine thing

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:43 PM

I think Peter Reid looks like a chimpanzee, does that make me racist, or rude?

• Jib

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Mike Ashley “thinks Peter Kenyon would be good for Newcastle United”
    So why doesn’t he offer him a job at NUFC ?

• Moonraker15

Oct 3, 2019 at 2:27 PM

Chancel
    Racist? No
    Rude? Yes

• Moonraker15

Oct 3, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Jib
    He’d have to pay him more than £300k pa and Ashley doesn’t like high wages does he?