web analytics

“He Brightens Up Your Day” – What Bruce Said About Midfielder To BBC Newcastle

Steve Bruce spoke to BBC Newcastle about Matty Longstaff after yesterday’s brilliant win at St James Park. Matthew Raisbeck has tweeted some of his comments.

The 19-year-old midfielder proved to be a force for Newcastle yesterday. The midfield was instantly energized by his inclusion.

He wasn’t intimidated by the occasion whatsoever, and if he had any nerves, he certainly didn’t show it. It was definitely some Premier League debut for the youngster.

Matty has a boyish enthusiasm that could be infectious for this team. He came into the side at the perfect time. After a troubling couple of weeks, Matty was the spark that the club needed.

Matty also brought out the best in his older brother Sean who returned to the form he showed last season. We could be seeing both Longstaff brothers patrolling the midfield for years to come.

Bruce will have some decisions to make with team selection after the international break. Florian Lejeune and maybe even Matt Ritchie could be back for Chelsea on October 19th.

Ciaran Clark put in one of his typical performances. He was just as reliable as ever coming in for Paul Dummett. Jetro Willems was also fantastic yesterday.

It’s going to be a fight for places like we haven’t seen so far this season. Matty Longstaff has just placed himself at the head of the pack.

• BenbulbenMag

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:18 PM

It’s fantastic to see young players when they burst on to the scene.

They play with a magnificent abandon, absolutely fearless and with a confidence to try the most audacious of movements passes and shots.

• Bobbybee

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:28 PM

Posada, we’re you on the first ten year deal or the second offer mate? I ask because mine was due to run out this season, 09/10 – 19/20, but when I enquired why I hadn’t had a reminder to renew in March, I was told they’d extended it until 22/23 season.
    I imagine when you come to renew next season – presuming you’re on the second offer – you’ll find yours has also been extended until 23/24. Can’t imagine they’d do it to one set and not the other.

• Assassins Inc

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:30 PM

The one thing you can get from the Longs is goals from midfield which is lacking with Hayden and Jonjo, I love Haden and he has been one of our best players but goals are lacking and we need goals from the middle of the park.

• c-dog

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:33 PM

Shelvey is done at this club
    Zero workrate and relegation battlers cannot afford to accomodate show ponies like him
    Looks to mae as though 40 points might be reached by third bottom this year for the first time in a while

• lochinvar

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:36 PM

A team in crisis.
    Plunging toward the relegation zone.
    Owners bleeding the club dry.
    Players not giving a fig about playing for the shirt.
    Manager likely to be sacked in the morning.

Meanwhile at United in Newcastle….

God that felt good saying that.

• Bobbybee

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:43 PM

Loch, quality mate! 😀

• martoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:44 PM

It”s funny when Yedlin was playing regularly he used to get dog’s abuse on here that he couldn’t defend and speed was his only asset but now he is one our saviours – just saying?
    Also I still think we need Shelvey – there are going to be games where the 2 Longstaffs are not working so well and we could bring on Shelvey and say, big Andy to change our style of play.

• Genjikai

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:46 PM

Simon
    If your about did you get any snaps of the banners that went up?

• geordietom

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:52 PM

Bobby … from earlier thread…

well said mate agree with you 100 per cent …

• geordietom

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:53 PM

Posada …

yep your right no such thing as free tickets. it dont matter if you pay £ 5 or £ 50 its your money . we should have a choice if we want to go to watch a match without being shot down about it …

• Nufc-83

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:55 PM

I don’t get why people suggest Andy Carroll and Shelvey would work well together. Shelvey would work well with someone making runs in behind the back line as his strength is his vision and passing accuracy. Carroll obviously does not play this way and generally will need crosses from the wide area. Shelvey makes bad decisions always looking for the Hollywood ball and he has no intent with his movement and constantly taking up incorrect positions (both in an attacking and defending sense). With the passing ability of our back line (especially when Lejuerne is back) and the ability of both Longstaffs to ping decent balls I don’t see Shelvey being needed again. Lets get him sold for as much as we can get and bring in another forward or an extremely athletic CM to add real competition into this area of the pitch.

• simon376

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:59 PM

Genjikai
    Sorry mate, didn’t see them, only took the ones of the seats I sent last night. As I said, pretty full and I think close to the announced attendance. But I do think there is no doubt free or cheap tickets given out and most likely snapped up as playing Man U.
    What was supposed to be on the banners, anti Sports Direct?

• martoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:04 PM

Genjikai @8 – I didn’t take a photo but saw one at the end of the game right opposite the cameras in the East Stand that said ‘Where’s all the money gone?’. It must have been caught on the end of game footage somewhere.

• Bobbybee

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:05 PM

Martoon, absolutely spot on. I’ve defended Yedders many times on here, because he was simply left alone too many times by Ritchie of all people, when he played right wing. I’ll criticise anybody I think isn’t doing their job properly, but you’re right, he did get a lot of unfair criticism. Everybody has good games and bad games, even the best.
    Shelvey’s turned out for us even when not 100% fit, because he’s been needed. Both Longstaff’s are finding their feet in professional football and there’ll be games when they need resting for their own good,as well as times when form dips. Having a fully fit Shelvey as backup is far more than many other clubs have. He’s far from finished. If the young lads are keeping him out on form then it means they’re playing really well. Not sure the same could be said for Ki. I definitely know who I’d sooner have as back up. 🙂

• Munster Mag

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:06 PM

So Jail in your world it was unfair of me to say rafa got lucky with Lobby, but fair to say that Bruce got lucky with his brother? That’ll be your mancrush again. Look they probably both got lucky, but when I said that re rafa you slagged me off? Joker.

• Unused Substitute

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:09 PM

I recall frequent Dummett baiting until very recently for his deficiencies functioning as an overlapping wing back. General perception however was that he is defensively solid. I thought even that solidity becomes suspect in a 5-line defence with Willems on the wing since Willems does not track back well enough. While that may work with a team as bad as MUFC but not with teams with faster wing play. On the other end of defence Krafth seems to be a similar liability. In fact, his yesterday’s cameo got my heart racing. I don’t know what he shows during practice that our headcoach

• Unused Substitute

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:10 PM

… let’s him on the bench.

• IrishRob

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:11 PM

We wouldn’t get 10M for Shelvey I’d bet money on it. Sell him for any amount I’ll be glad to see the back of him. I’ve been saying for the past year hes not good enough neither is he what we need.

• Genjikai

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Ashley Out – Fans In
    NUFC is more than a business, it’s an institution at the heart of our community and we will take it back.

Sports Neglect
    We want our club back

And then the one you stated.

• Genjikai

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:27 PM

Post above was about the banners in the ground Simon.
    Cheers for the pictures mate keep them up bud.

• Genjikai

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:35 PM

Thinking about Mattys goal yesterday.
    Still buzzing.
    Howay the lad.
    Love it when Geordies succeed.

• martoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:35 PM

Posada – I normally support you but it is undeniable that there has been a lot of empty seats at previous games that were filled yesterday. Looking around the Sports Bar (where I sit) there were a lot of faces I hadn’t seen before and some who were obviously students – whether they had got cheap tickets I can’t be sure and I didn’t ask them. It’s quite obvious there has been some sort of sales drive to fill the stadium but obviously playing Man U helps.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Lost count of the times I’ve said Yedlin has clear daylight between him and Manquillo (now Krafth too) in quality. Snappier in the tackle – ok sometimes rash, but I’d rather that then standing off players like Krafth has shown. His speed isn’t only an asset going forward too, it helps him recover and catch players, even the quick ones and also loose balls he gets to first where the other two simply wouldn’t.

Some are trying to downplay the credit Bruce should get for playing Matty by saying he;s only in there because of Hayden’s absence, as if there were no other options. Shelvey and Ki were both available, Willems in CM and Manquillo at LWB was another option.

Bruce and his team of course have weaknesses, but one of theirs and his strengths is spotting good young talent – for Hull he signed Robertson, Maguire and Bowen.

Looking at our fixtures, realistically can see us on a minimum of 20pts by the time we play Man U again on Boxing Day, which will mark the halfway stage.

• Mindshaft

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:49 PM

Thank god for lascelles, Schar and Ritchie telling Bruce to f’ off with his stupid formations – back to basics – funny how Bruce was happy to blame the players for defeats but happy to praise himself for win … joke manager, joke owner – HWTL

• Mindshaft

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:52 PM

Guess we’ll have more of an idea against Chelsea in a couple of weeks – they are scoring a lot of goals but can ship them too so we’re going to need goals from Matty and whoever else can chip in – Don’t think Linton will score more than 7 or 8 goals max if we’re lucky … or Jo Ellington as the commentators keep calling him ( annoys the f out of me)

• Mindshaft

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:53 PM

Football fans are the most fickle people in the world – imagine if your’e wife or girlfriend was that bad … I love you, no, I hate you , oh you’re so cute , oh you’re a complete and utter b’tard 🙂

• martoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:00 PM

I think we all know we’ve still got problems especially in front of goal but let’s enjoy our win for a couple of days before turning on the negativity!

• Hail Wor Ashley

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:01 PM

Ki nor Shelvey is really suited to this set-up. Mobility and intensity is needed from the CMs and they’re just not capable of providing it.

Still prefer Ki over Shelvey though if I had to pick one to slot in. Better in tight areas – better touch, footwork, more agile and better awareness of what’s happening around him. Less lapses in concentration/effort. More patient with the ball in building attacks.

Get rid of Shelvey and replace him with somebody like Jeff Hendrick from Burnley who is out of contract next summer.

• lesh

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:08 PM

Posada

I can assure you I’m not questioning your right to go to matches, you’ve paid for your ticket so feel free to use it.

You’ve stated your position on Ashley and his abuse of NUFC and its fans and your views will chime with those who’ve chosen to give up their STs or still have ’em but choose to boycott games.

But, Posada, don’t you think that you’re being a tad insensitive to those who have acted in protest at Ashley, by seemingly taking delight in being part of a near full house yesterday. Those guys who are actively protesting or boycotting games are doing so for all fans – and that includes you!

Try showing them a bit of respect and do as other match attendees do, don’t crow about how you feel justified in attending because others attend – no matter how they got their tickets.

Try not to act like the scabs who bragging about being well fed, undermined the striking miners – they (the scabs) got their praise from Thatcher but it wasn’t too long before they got their comeuppance when the pits they worked in were closed.

• Munster Mag

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:14 PM

Mindshaft, has Bruce praised himself for the win?

• Bladey

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:17 PM

For the delusional
    Manchester United will finish at least 25 points ahead of nufc
    Get a bloody grip we are relegation material most of you lot were calling for sean Longstaff to be dropped no wonder other fans laugh at us your embarrassing and it’s the same clowns on here spouting garbage
    ASH IN WISE OR CARVER IN MUGS OUT

• bettyswallocks

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:17 PM

Irish Rob……… I didn’t see the post match analysis so don’t know what was said after the game. What I do know is that Owen Hargreaves said word for word what I posted on my previous comment.
    I hope you’re not insinuating I’m telling porkies.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:18 PM

Posada – ref the tickets.

Discounted tickets are definitely available to certain groups.
    About a year or so ago I was checking out one of the emergency services sites or Sports Club sites (cannot remember exactly) and discounted tickets were 100% available.

Not sure about freebies though.

• JohnJ

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:21 PM

Delighted Newcastle won yesterday! It was also good to see three Geordies on the field for the Toon pity it couldn’t have been four with Paul Dummett as well.

I understood The name was pronounced Jo el ing ton as in Ellingington Colliery!

• Bobbybee

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:22 PM

Football is all about opinions. Very few agree on everything and at the end of the day, only one opinion truly matters and that’s the manager’s.
    Tbf to Bruce, he was praising Matty throughout the China trip and has said before he’d like to find a way to fit him in – although being manager I’d have thought dropping somebody else would do the trick! 🙂 He’s maybe been waiting for that chance and Hayden’s red card presented him with a clear opportunity to get him aboard. Now Hayden has to try and earn his place back, which only helps strengthen the side.

• Assassins Inc

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:25 PM

So on most occasions beating Man U at home would be enough for the next two weeks to be positive for the team and discussion.

But sadly like every two week international break the gloves will come off for another round of dragging up things from the past and trying to better everyone’s opinion.

Wait until next week when people will be begging for the international break to end early.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:35 PM

Munster,
    I’m not saying it’s fair either way, Bruce might have played Matty, you just don’t know. I’m not asking you that though am I, you repeated endlessly that Rafa got lucky with Longstaff, why haven’t you said the same about Brucie???

• Bobbybee

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:40 PM

Lesh, come on mate, stop comparing people who go to games with scabs. You’ve done it before and it’s ludicrous comparison. In some cases that was about life and death, not football. Let’s keep some perspective here.
    And nobody is not attending for my benefit either. If they are, I don’t want them to.
    There were plenty of boycotters at the game yesterday and to deny it is pointless. They can’t sell your seat twice. So those saying they’ve got a ST but won’t go to televised games, well, most of them were there yesterday because their seats were occupied. A few may have stayed away, but clearly not many.
    I wouldn’t expect them to either. Manure is always a big game and people want to turn up or stay away, it’s their choice. Let’s stop with the name calling and dividing the fan base. If you want to go, go. If you don’t, don’t. How hard is that?

• martoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:46 PM

Jail – 4.5 3.5

I was lucky you had a 10 pointer on your bench 🙂

• Munster Mag

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:57 PM

So jail do you think rafa got lucky? Its very possible both managers have benefitted from any injury. But obviously Rafa doesnt do luck. Ya sap.