web analytics

“He Brightens Up Your Day” – What Bruce Said About Midfielder To BBC Newcastle

Steve Bruce spoke to BBC Newcastle about Matty Longstaff after yesterday’s brilliant win at St James Park. Matthew Raisbeck has tweeted some of his comments.

The 19-year-old midfielder proved to be a force for Newcastle yesterday. The midfield was instantly energized by his inclusion.

He wasn’t intimidated by the occasion whatsoever, and if he had any nerves, he certainly didn’t show it. It was definitely some Premier League debut for the youngster.

Matty has a boyish enthusiasm that could be infectious for this team. He came into the side at the perfect time. After a troubling couple of weeks, Matty was the spark that the club needed.

Matty also brought out the best in his older brother Sean who returned to the form he showed last season. We could be seeing both Longstaff brothers patrolling the midfield for years to come.

Bruce will have some decisions to make with team selection after the international break. Florian Lejeune and maybe even Matt Ritchie could be back for Chelsea on October 19th.

Ciaran Clark put in one of his typical performances. He was just as reliable as ever coming in for Paul Dummett. Jetro Willems was also fantastic yesterday.

It’s going to be a fight for places like we haven’t seen so far this season. Matty Longstaff has just placed himself at the head of the pack.

• Jib

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Richard Keys , who was heavily critical of Rafa Benitez during his time at St James’s Park, has made a stunning claim during his latest blog.
    In the post, Keys discusses the Premier League sack race with Silva thought to be close to the exit door at Everton.
    And he feels that Benitez could be a candidate to replace Silva – having supposedly aimed for the job twice before – and says sentiment won’t be a factor.
    “He tried twice to get it when he was at Newcastle – before Sam [Allardyce] and Silva.
    He’d walk back from China for it. Rafa doesn’t do ‘emotion’ – as he proved when he went to Chelsea.
    He does what he believes is right for himself. He always has.
    Ask Mike Ashley.
    If Newcastle fans are wondering why I’m suggesting Rafa – let me explain.
    Never have I said he isn’t a good coach. We all know he is.
    What irritated me about his time at Newcastle was the constant moaning. He knew the deal. So get on with it.
    Despite being told time and again that he’d walk into one of the world’s top jobs on leaving Newcastle I said he wouldn’t. He didn’t.
    “He had the best job he was ever going to get in England – unless Everton are brave enough.”

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:01 PM

Munster,
    Sean Longstaff might not have played if if it wasn’t for injuries but then again he might have, I’m not saying him or Bruce got lucky, they’ll have both been aware of the brothers, again I’m not asking you that though am I, why aren’t you saying that Bruce got lucky when you repeatedly told us that Rafa did with Sean, surely they are very similar circumstances, no need for insults Munster, I’m not dishing them out.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:02 PM

Jib,
    Is that the guy who slept with his daughters best mate while his wife had cancer, is it that Richard Keys?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Martoon,
    I should have started Cantwell but would have been wounded if DeBruyne had of been given the go ahead, when I seen Zinchenko on the bench I was delighted, was absolutely gutted when I checked at half time and my tally had gone up one, could only mean one thing.
    Is that 4-3 and a draw now?

• Bobbybee

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:10 PM

Jib, well that’s basically BS on its face. He has repeatedly criticised Rafa for his coaching ability – as if he has even a clue how to do Rafa’s job. Rafa could do his job though, in his sleep.
    Keys is just a very bitter wannabe. Rafa’s forgotten more about football than he’ll ever know and it bugs him to death.
    As for the Everton job, I simply don’t believe him. Not a word of it. Rafa’s said on more than one occasion that he wouldn’t take that job out of respect for Liverpool fans. That’s end of as far as I’m concerned.
    As for walking back to England for a top job, I think he’s thinking of Richard Keys when he says that. He would walk over broken glass for a job over here, but sadly for him, NOBODY would touch him with a bargepole because the whole world knows what a vile creature he is.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:11 PM

If Bruce tells us he’s not everyone’s cup of tea one more bloody time!!!

• Munster Mag

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:17 PM

Your are a sap for rafa because you cant accept a milligram of something that isnt 100% positive. Thats odd. Yes SB could have got very lucky. I have no issue saying that. I dont have an axe to grind re benitez but I do have an axe to grind with people who wont accept analysis if any manager that isnt 100% positive.

• Munster Mag

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:22 PM

Jail / anyone havent checked where Corby is but is in more south than north? Does SB have a touch of a mackem accent. Booook not book? Maybe someone can guide me? Im delighted he got the win but more delighted fr the club and players. This type of football aint barca but I didnt mind it under rafa most if the time so am ok with it now. I thinj sb knows now just not to change things mych although the set up v leicester may have been due to injuries?

• Jib

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:37 PM

Corbridge is near Hexham in the Tyne valley
    Bruce was born there , but brought up in Walkergate/Daisy Hill
    (about as Geordie as you can get)

• Bobbybee

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Jib, have you read the next pile of drivel he spews put about Qatar winning the world Cup bid? Wow, he is one seriously bitter man. I bet he’s happy where he is – are women not second class citizens there? He talks about England needing to get over things, well, he needs to get over getting caught out for being such a backward sexist beast.
    Go have a read of it mate, it’s full of his usual bile. I hope he never steps foot back in this country again – he’s simply not wanted here.

• Jib

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:45 PM

Bruce lived the other side of Walker Park to where Ed Harrison was born
    You wouldn’t accuse Dr Ed of being a Mackem !!!!!

• posada

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:49 PM

toon22
    Oct 7, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    Posada
    Just another alt of JIB
    Here 24/7 with his PR guff defending Jabba
    *****************************************************
    Did you get a reply from your e mail to the Pope. No ! What a surprise.

Asked you to amaze me and say something about the football. Still waiting.

Here 24/7 ? Are you for real. Friday gone you started blogging at 2pm. You did so repeatedly until 2am. You were off for 8 hours then started again.

Keep your tin foil helmet on the aliens mike be spying on you.

• posada

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Bobby
    I forget what ten year deal it is mate.
    I just keep the D/D in place and after a while I forget.
    Think they will repeat it for all.

• geordietom

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:52 PM

Posada …

i told you earlier he was talking to him self most of the time mate …

repeat and rinse …

• Oldgit1

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:55 PM

@ mineshaft your post sounds like your wife or girlfriend has left you, don’t worry mate you will get over it.

• geordietom

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:55 PM

TOON22’S favourite movie Paint Your Wagon , why he talks to the tree’s…

• c-dog

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:55 PM

Jail is Rafa PR someone said?

Hiya RBA

• posada

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:03 PM

lesh
    Oct 7, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    Posada
    I can assure you I’m not questioning your right to go to matches, you’ve paid for your ticket so feel free to use it.
    You’ve stated your position on Ashley and his abuse of NUFC and its fans and your views will chime with those who’ve chosen to give up their STs or still have ’em but choose to boycott games.
    But, Posada, don’t you think that you’re being a tad insensitive to those who have acted in protest at Ashley, by seemingly taking delight in being part of a near full house yesterday. Those guys who are actively protesting or boycotting games are doing so for all fans – and that includes you!
    Try showing them a bit of respect and do as other match attendees do, don’t crow about how you feel justified in attending because others attend – no matter how they got their tickets.

Try not to act like the scabs who bragging about being well fed, undermined the striking miners – they (the scabs) got their praise from Thatcher but it wasn’t too long before they got their comeuppance when the pits they worked in were closed.

*********************************************
    Do me a favour and put your violin back in it’s box.

Taking delight ! You mean I enjoyed it and was pleased with the result. It is allowed. Or do I have to sit there thinking – stop enjoying ya sell someone is boycotting.

• Tonyd3b54

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Thought we played well but can’t help but think we’d be miles better if Brice had any sort of offensive style of play. It seems that it’s basically throw them out and see what happens which turns out to depend on long balls to the striker and long runs by almiron and Maxim to get the ball up the field. We have quality up top but all would work better with balls to their feet. Joelinton works better when it’s played to his feet. Almiron and Maxim the same but there’s no movement up top to get those passes in behind the midfield and in front of the D and there’s no one looking to make that pass either. It’s all hoof to joelinton, long ball behind to the wingers. When we do get the ball into the final third there’s no strategy to how to penetrate into the box other than swing in long crosses from the wing.

• Tony Baloney

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:04 PM

Do they search you as you enter SJP? Did the boycotters check their principles at the turnstyles yesterday?

• posada

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:06 PM

I few attributing comments to me I have not made.

Did not say there were no Man U supporters in home ends. Said there probably were but did not see any evidence of same. If they were there they were discreet about it.

Did not say there were no cheap/free tickets. Simply said can anyone come forward and say I was on a freeby/cheap ticket. Not someone said etc.

• posada

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Geordietom
    Aye he talks to himself a lot.
    Late on he tends to talk a lot to OLG.
    They support each others comments then tend to go at the same time.

Now I wonder.

• Jib

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:12 PM

A question for NY Mag when he appears

Since SDI’s AGM in 2016 the company has spent approx.
    £800M buying it’s own shares back into treasury
    The total volume of shares is 523M (with MA owning 63%)
    A rough calculation based on stock market prices over the period
    works out at 400M shares bought back.

Is Ashley cashing in or what ?

• geordietom

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Posada …#64

funny you should say that , i did notice it …