web analytics

‘Like Scholes And Carrick’ – Former Arsenal Defender’s Assessment of This Newcastle Duo

Martin Keown is a pundit for BBC’s Match of the Day. The former Arsenal defender was very impressed with Newcastle’s midfield duo in Sunday’s win 1-0 win against Manchester United.

The Chronicle have posted some comments from Keown in which he places both Sean and Matty Longstaff on a lofty pedestal.

This is what Keown said about the Longstaff brothers:

“The young lad should be knocking on Steve Bruce’s door and saying ‘Why didn’t you play me sooner?’ He played more passes, covered more distance and really put in a performance.

“It was like a Paul Scholes. I know they’re big boots to fill but him and his brother were like Scholes and Carrick. They’re the important ingredient in this Newcastle team now.”

While it is far too soon for those comparisons, Keown makes a very astute point. Both Sean and Matty could be precisely what this team needs. They could very well be Newcastle’s midfield partnership going forward.

Matty Longstaff put in a performance yesterday that will be talked about for years to come. Matty could now find himself in a similar position to his older brother last year.

Sean came into the team last season and instantly cemented himself into the side. Could Matty do just the same this season?

While one game is just one game, 19-year-old Matty Longstaff looks a player. If he can stay consistent, he may be the missing ingredient that this side needs. He also could bring the best out of his older brother, who has failed to reach the height of last season. That is until yesterday.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Win Against Manchester United?

• Matty Longstaff (59%, 1,328 )
  • Allan Saint-Maximin (17%, 386 )
  • Fabian Schar (14%, 323 )
  • Sean Longstaff (4%, 82 )
  • Jetro Willems (2%, 54 )
  • Ciaran Clark (1%, 25 )
  • Miguel Almiron (1%, 22 )
  • DeAndre Yedlin (1%, 15 )
  • Emil Krafth (0%, 7 )
  • Joelinton (0%, 5 )
  • Andy Carroll (0%, 5 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (0%, 2 )
  • Martin Dubravka (0%, 2 )
  • Christian Atsu (0%, 1 )

Total Voters: 2,257

Loading ... Loading ...

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:54 AM

Evening Neil, you been waiting for me to come on? 🙂

• IrishRob

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:56 AM

I will say one thing about Mattie, hes got crazy long eyelashes.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:56 AM

Robleenio

Lol, NY Mag, I don’t get much right too often. It’s been a while since we had some real talent in the juniors with real potential to come through. Credit to Ben Dawson for working so well with the current crop and getting the Longstaffs in particular ready for the first team.

Next season, they could be joined by Kell Watts and Owen Bailey. You heard it hear first (well, second after Genjikai)

Err, pardon?

• IrishRob

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:58 AM

Seanie and Mattie, Newcastles S&M

• carltoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:00 AM

Bill I’m sure mentioned the young lads more than a few times!! Eh! That Rob trying to steal your thunder.

• RobLeenio

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:02 AM

Lol, OK Bill, they all heard it here 3rd, after you and Genjikai

😉

• carltoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:03 AM

They aren’t just ordinary Longstaffs, they’re M & S Longstaffs. Pinched that off twitter.

• carltoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:07 AM

NY Mag. My feet firmly on the ground. I was just getting Carried away a little. Anyway I’m not allowed to go to away matches abroad after the last time.

• carltoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:09 AM

So even if we did get onto Europe it’s off my agenda.

• carltoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:10 AM

Into Europe.

• carltoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:12 AM

Loved Matty’s goal a real daisy cutter. The attempt in the first half wasn’t bad either.

• toon22

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:24 AM

Like I though

Nee answer
    Let’s see what transpires

• carltoon

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:33 AM

Extended highlights up on NUFC TV. now.

• ilovetoon8788

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:42 AM

If this was rafa matty would never be anywhere near the first team. Rafa played Sean because he had no other midfielders at that time.

Bruce had Ki and shelvey and threw matty on. A great gamble that paid off.

Fair play to Bruce. Well done.

• lesh

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:47 AM

Toon22

Ffs, calm down bonny lad. You’re getting excited over nowt. No matter how questionable SDI and Ashley’s practices might appear, they are not amateurs nor do they employ amateurs. They’ll know what’s to be done to comply with the law and they’ll know how to push the boundaries. They’ll find an auditor to replace GT and the accounts may be filed late and probably fined.

• lesh

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:49 AM

When MoTD showed the Longstaff’s dad and mam, was that Ashley hugging daddy Longstaff?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:17 AM

Lesh

I must admit I thought that but I think he’s just similar in appearance, but I now have this horrible thought that if was Ashlie he was probably thinking ‘come here my little money pot’s daddie, xmas sales coming up’, …….uugh!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:18 AM

Robleenio

OK I’ll overlook your little faux pas, this time!! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:22 AM

Tonight’s culinary tip.

When you peeled tatties, don’t chuck the peelings away, slather them in olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper on them then put them on tin foil and stick them in the oven on a high heat for around 25 minutes and voila you have a lovely snack to eat as you watch the match.

• NY Mag

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:27 AM

Bill,

That’s Some tip…haven’t tried it personally.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:28 AM

So we now have the U23s conveyor belt getting into action, next!

My predictions, Yannick Toure, Mo Sangare, Stefan O’connor and Luke Charman.

Once they’re back from loan, S-O_R_E-N_S_E_N, and Kelland Watts.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:31 AM

NY Mag

Ersatz crisps or as Americans call them chips. 🙂

And no food waste.

• NY Mag

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:32 AM

Bill,

I don’t know know anything about the kids, but I’m happy to take your word for it 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:35 AM

Irishrob

If you want to be more subtle about asking people their age you should ask how many grams of brain cell they have lost. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:38 AM

NY Mag

And Robleenio’s and Genjikai’s who has two cousins in the U23’s, Kelland Watts is one!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:47 AM

Nearly 3 am in the UK and am now coming down from today’s high, I’m a long time night owl and tend to sleep late but I’d better be off to bed now.
    So G’d Night all, the International break is always more pleasant after a win! 🙂

• Scythe For Bruce

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:31 AM

One of the good things about Matty coming through is that it might make Sean think twice about wanting to leave if ManU (or whoever) come knocking on the door. That said, if Ashley gets a big enough offer then we could end up with another Andy Carroll off to Liverpool situation. I’d love to see the Longstaffs playing together for us for years to come, but that’s unlikely in this day and age.

• ilovetoon8788

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:59 AM

Willems have been tremendous for us this season in the very rare times we actually go forward. He’s so tricky and has a great feet. He did alot of the hard work and had the vision to play the pass to matty.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Oct 7, 2019 at 6:30 AM

That’s the first time we’ve looked dangerous under Bruce, it was for the full 90mins too.

Man u are poor but a,win is a win, best performance by far but not vintage flowing attacking football.

Way better than the Spuds game and something to build on, all game I fancied our chances once McGuire missed that sitter I felt we’d get 3 points in my bones..

Almiron plays his best football running at the opposition, I’d try 532 with him in the middle of the 3 breaking from deep, with two longstaffs or one plus Hayden to do the graft. He played some great passes out from our box to spring the attack, he’s wasted to far foward, hes not a player you’d want to track or cover in the middle of the pitch.

I’d also stick ASM up front with Joelinton.

• Unused Substitute

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:10 AM

Things do get very lopsided at nuff.com. One either flies or goes underground. From the perspective of one catching the matches only on TV, Sunday’s performance was not very convincing. It only stood out because it came right after the previous week’s tripe. That is not to say there were no positives: commitments of all on the pitch were reassuring. Reassuring; since it indicates the dressing room isn’t lost yet for Steve Bruce despite his shenanigans. As for the gamble’s paying off for Steve Bruce, it means squat. One doesn’t have to be a gambler to impress and statistically gamblers are the ones who do not survive. From where I stand, we had to be at a minimum of 9 points on the EPL table at this point with ~0 GD. We are still behind that target.

• Unused Substitute

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:12 AM

*nufc.com

• Jib

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:13 AM

Whoops – looks a bit stupid now

• Jib

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:16 AM

Unused Substitute
    Sunday’s performance was not very convincing.

Really ?

• hibbit

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:25 AM

very good win, great effort, fantastic goal,
    But really nothing has changed Ashley is still the owner.

• Shoulders knees

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:26 AM

Great 3pts, some real grit shown so happy with that, lots of players out on their feet the end so they have their all.

• Mindshaft

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:40 AM

Much needed win yesterday although giving credit to Bruce for change of formation is wrong – in the clear the air meeting the players told Bruce they feel more comfortable in the formation played under Rafa as everybody knows the job they need to do ( well apart from Joe Linton 🙂 )
    Good choice to bring in Matty though so I’ll give Bruce credit for that

• Mindshaft

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:43 AM

Jib, you’re getting carried away by winning, much needed but don’t kid yourself we’ve turned a corner , manure were quite possibly the worst team we’ve played this season – Chelsea will be more of a test as they are scoring freely and strong going forward – definitely need to attack them as they’re defensively weak

• Zele

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:48 AM

ilovetoon8788,

I think Ritchie is going to find it difficult replacing Willems.

He has quick feet just like ASM.

The ManU defenders must have seen that rocket of a shot with his weaker right foot against Liverpool and were trying to deny him the opportunity to repeat it but he was sensible enough to lay the pass off to Matty.

When I saw ASM breaking up field I wondered who that was slightly ahead of him. I think we have a proper wingback.

Special mention for Yedlin who must have been knackered at the end having been out for so long.

• Jib

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:52 AM

Mindshaft
    I’m certainly not getting carried away
    I don’t know how you surmise that from my comments post – match
    But I do think we’ve turned a corner.