web analytics

22-Year-Old Says Why He Is Really Happy At Newcastle

Allan Saint-Maximin was handed just his second start of the season on Sunday. He had struggled since the week after Arsenal with a hamstring injury. His inclusion against Manchester United made an immediate impact on Newcastle’s stagnant attack.

Allan is such a threat with his pace, power, and trickery. He was able to dribble through Manchester United on Sunday and create a few chances for his teammates.

He played a few sloppy passes, but for the most part, the 22-year-old’s play adds so much to this Newcastle team.

Allan spoke to the Chronicle about the win on Sunday. He, of course, touched on his favorite topic, dribbling, but also talked about the wonderful goal that Allan spearheaded with one of his attacks:

“I was really happy because I tried to keep running and dribbling – that’s my job. My qualities are to run at people. Sometimes I do a lot of things in a game but I know what my qualities are.

“I gave a good pass to Jetro Willems, he then produced some good skills before passing to Matty Longstaff and he scored a really good goal with one touch. We’re all very happy for him. It’s been a really important win for us because we’d only won once at Tottenham before that.

“We lost badly at Leicester and everybody was really disappointed. We kept working during the week and now we have beaten Man United, a great club. We won but we must keep working. For now we can all be happy in the international break.”

Sunday was a great moment for Newcastle and the fans, but Allan is right that the team must keep working. One of the issues we see with Steve Bruce is that he can let his teams lose focus, which we have seen a few times this season.

The Manchester United win should not be a peak followed by valleys like the Tottenham win was. We would like to the team steadily improve like they did last year when they just got better and better.

Allan continued with the following comments mentioning how the fans inspire him to perform:

“They give me power and a good feeling. So I’ll try to run more and enjoy it with them. I’m happy when we win. Even if I don’t score or make an assist it’s OK for me.

“This time Matty did a great job to win it for us against Man United. The fans like me to dribble. I’ll look to make good passes too. But to get a win is the most important thing, just before the break was an important time for me.”

Even though his appearances have been limited this season, Saint-Maximin is already turning into a fan favorite. The affinity for the mercurial Frenchman from Newcastle supporters will have only gotten stronger after Sunday’s tremendous display.

Here is what Allan tweeted after Sunday’s game.

We have been so impressed by Saint-Maximin since he joined Newcastle. He seems such a genuinely happy person, and we just can’t wait to see him score his first goal at St James Park.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:07 PM

I object to being labelled as an excitable little child!

I’m an excitable big child, so there!

• SuperShearer

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:08 PM

The way ASM runs at players is terrifying for oppositions, he’s strong, he’s quick, has great close control. He needs to learn to look up a bit – this goal being a great example, a pass to Jetro earlier could have released him, ASM and AC – although clearly it worked out well in the end.

Solid player and at only 22 talks a very smart game. I’m surprised there were rumours of him not being a team player before he joined us. Seems to always say the right things and clearly has a good work rate.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:08 PM

I voted for Shelvey as MOM on Sunday, it was his presence on the bench that spurred Matty on to the performance he gave!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:10 PM

Wonder how MO Sangare feels to come back from playing for his country in World Cup Qualifiers to playing for the U23s.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:26 PM

I thought that ASM was going to be yet another sick note but he seems to got over that injury pretty well, let’s hope he stays fit!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:27 PM

1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th?

• beermonkey

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:32 PM

essex

you lonely

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Although he’s probably going to take a few kickings from defenders trying to keep up with him.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:34 PM

beermonkey

Ronely, isn’t he that North Korean guy we are scouting?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:36 PM

Anyway got to go and tick off another job on the missus’s never ending list, later!

• beermonkey

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:37 PM

essex

we scout every1 and buy no1
    its the ashley way

so when matty and sean line up next to each other in the next game i hear instead of numbers under the name longstaff they will both be sporting the letters BOGOF

• RobLeenio

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:56 PM

I must be one of those excitable little children, I guess. Who isn’t going to get excited about the emergence of two local lads from the same family who could go on and become the backbone of our team for the next decade-plus?

The way the pundits are talking about them, they’re the next Carrick and Scholes. If that continues, we could have the next brothers to play for England, the new Charltons if you will.

There’s been little enough to get excited over during the last couple of seasons, I reserve the right to lose my s**t over the Longstaffs.

• IrishRob

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:12 PM

EGB #1, I can relate.

• RobLeenio

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:26 PM

Salomon Rondon “My transfer to Chinese football was somewhat sudden.”

“I would have continued in Newcastle if they had given me the opportunity…”

Now, I like Andy Carroll, I honestly do. He brings us a chunk of, passion, leadership, raw brutality and not a little skill. Would I rather have Salomon Rondon in his place? Of course I would – he can play a full game, score a goal, then do the same again three days later. I don’t think Andy Carroll will aver be able to do that again.

• Mindshaft

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:35 PM

Sean was getting slated last week, now he should be playing for England 😀

Not sure what Carroll has left, he was never quick but he looked like he was dragging a carthorse behind him on Sunday – Won a few free kicks though and helped defend but never looked like scoring – hard to see where we will score goals this season so it’s essential our defence is good – 5 goals in 8 games still seems like relegation to me.
    Looking forward to Chelsea , feel we can nick a goal there as they can’t emend so well – question will be can we stop conceding. Lets not kid ourselves – whilst beating Man U has a great ring about it , they were extremely poor and look like relegation fodder

• cyprus

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:56 PM

It was “only” man but that squad cost over 600 million!

Beating them was no mean feat, despite their problems.

And, of course we have problems too, more than they have. We’ll need to be at the top of our game every game, as the PL is a league of fine margins. Ask Norwich, big wins followed by big losses.

Also we haven’t figured out the ‘top of our game’ yet. We’ll play better and worse. But some of the questions are already being answered:

Play Shelvey? No. Andy? Think so. ASM? Yes. Yedlin? Yes.

Still, questions need answering: what’s our best MF? How to maximize Almiron’s undoubted abilities? How to get Joellington going? Use Gayle? How to hold on to the ball? Best formation? Etc.

Work in progress. Still, our point haul is alright, given our fixtures and the turmoil.

• cyprus

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Man- Man U

• martoon

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:13 PM

Mindshaft – Carroll is coming back from injury and an operation and god knows when he last played for West Ham so it’s a little unfair to be dismissing him already – it’s going to take a few games before he gets back to anywhere like he was.

• Ron Knee

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:19 PM

Born this day: Ellen Wilkinson (1891)

• Jib

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:22 PM

I like Squires
    but when it comes to a Geordie accent he fails miserably
    😀

• Mindshaft

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:22 PM

Martoon – think it’s no secret that Carroll has long past his sell by date – if he can come on for 20 – 30 mins and cause a few problems with his physicality then great, problem is that we revert to hoofing the ball up to him which invariably comes straight back at us.
    Even when he’s played in teh last few years his goal to game ratio is something like Joselu’s