web analytics

Director Of Football Has Interesting Comments On Newcastle’s Reported Winter Target

Sevilla lost 4-0 to Barcelona at the Camp Nou on Sunday to drop to 6th in La Liga. Their director of football, Monchi, spoke to Radio Sevilla on Monday and was asked about a couple of their new signings that haven’t featured much this season. One of those is Rony Lopes, who is reportedly a target of Newcastle.

This is a rough translation of his comments about Lopes and fellow new signing Jules Kounde:

“If I have to be upset with someone because Rony Lopes or Kounde do not play, it would be with myself.

“The coach puts in those he believes are better. Koundé is 20 years old, and Rony is 23. You have to have perspective. But if in the end, it does not work, the culprit is me, there is no more.”.

Both Rony Lopes and Jules Kounde joined Sevilla this summer for around £23m. They were the club’s two most expensive signings but have not featured much this season. From these comments, it seems that Monchi is the person who made the final call on the two transfers.

While Kounde, who is a French center-back, has made a few appearances in the league, Rony Lopes has only played 11 minutes. He did not even make the bench against Barcelona on Sunday.

Lopes did feature for Sevilla’s Europa League win against APOEL last Thursday. However, he has only made the bench on three occasions in the league, coming on as a late substitute in his lone appearance.

Newcastle were said to be interested in a January move for Lopes if his situation did not improve at Sevilla. It will be interesting to see how he progresses over the next few months. He could be made available for a loan deal with an option to buy if it does not work out for the Portuguese winger.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:27 AM

Re the international break, The player we have to be most concerned about Is Schaar, no injuries to him please!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:35 AM

Bit quiet on here tonight, so I’m off to bed.

G’d Night all!

• NY Mag

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:36 AM

Goodnight Bill

• lesh

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:44 AM

Nicky

‘…we might see Shelvey sold in January, while he has value, another centre mid brought in at the same time and Ki released and replaced in the summer.’

Shelvey some’s a strong possibility but where Ashley’s concerned, having another CM brought ON’s a big ask. You should know by now that Ashley doesn’t do improvement. All he’s concerned about is keeping the club in the Prem to maximise SD’s exposure at as little cost as possible.

The man’s using the club as a vehicle for promoting SD and that’s the extent of his vision.

• lesh

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:49 AM

Given some of the pups we’ve signed under Ashley, Monchi seems to have said what Wise and Carr should have but never did!

Monchi at least had the balls to admit his mistakes but where Ashley and his talent spotters are concerned, their arrogance beggars belief.

• toon22

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:51 AM

NY mag

I’m at a loss, could you help me understand
    Jabba says GT will audit SD till December?
    Didn’t he claim he was appointing someone to do it ?
    If so who ?

Otherwise how can he publish the accounts in December if in reality nobody is actually doing them

• NY Mag

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:27 AM

Jib,

Just catching up on the blog and you asked me a question earlier re: SD share repurchase scheme.

First of all, are you sure your numbers are correct? that seems awfully high based on SD’s market cap. (I know that back in 2016 their market cap. was much higher)

Anyway, it’s not abnormal for a company that pays out stock based compensation (which SD do) and doesn’t pay a dividend (which SD don’t) to use their profits to buy back shares – its a way to keep shareholders happy (give shares to employees which keeps them happy but dilutes the pot, then buy them back to keep shareholders happy), and apart from Ashley, their biggest shareholders are mutual fund holders (not joe public).
    So they absolutely have to keep these institutional shareholders happy.

Does it benefit Ashley directly? I suppose the higher the share price the higher his holding is worth, but he can never dump his holding on the open market. I mean, can you imagine the founder and CEO of a company selling their shareholding, what kind of message would that send, the share price would collapse.

The only way he can realize his money is if he sells the company for a cash offer and I don’t see him doing that. So his “famous” quote on wallpaper money is actually quite accurate (of course he’s still a very wealthy man even without that).

Now, if they are hoovering up more shares than they are distributing, then of course Ashley benefits, because it means that his influence in terms of % ownership is increasing. But, I don’t think that’s the case, as only about 1.5% of SD shares are owned by the public. I’m pretty sure there are also rules that regulate this kind of thing.

BTW, I think it was you who advised people to buy SD shares in July when they were around 210P, I thought about it (but didn’t do anything) – canny profit to have been made in the last three months 🙂

Of course it also props up the share price, if you’re continually buying (rather than someone else selling)

• NY Mag

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:36 AM

toon22,

“Jabba says GT will audit the accounts until December”
    – has he? I’ve never read that before, I only have read that GT resigned as of August..

I believe the “official” company line is that they are in a tender process (with who, I have no idea)

BTW, you do realize that companies do their own accounts, the job of the auditors is to go through them and verify that they are in fact accurate.

• Jib

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:01 AM

NY cheers for that
    My figures were a bit back of a fag packet job
    😀

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:40 AM

Soon as you see winter target you know its bollorx. If there’s twenty points on the board the cheque book is staying closed.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:51 AM

There’s a route for one, possibly even two clubs outside of your “big six” this year in to that top four, run properly that may well have been us.

• lesh

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:56 AM

Jiblets

‘My figures were a bit back of a fag packet job’? Your figures? What bollox and you know it

Come on, cough up, come clean and tell us all where you got the article that NYM responded to? Or could it be you’re an expert in corporate finance?

• lesh

Oct 8, 2019 at 6:00 AM

Nicky

@4 …… CM brought ON’s = CM brought in’s

• martoon

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:49 AM

I just hope all the hype does not put too much pressure on young Matty and he tries too hard in the Chelsea game. It would be typical of football that he mistimes a tackle and gets a red card!

• Genjikai

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:50 AM

NY Mag

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:36 AM

toon22,

“Jabba says GT will audit the accounts until December”

Accounts are correct, just missed 605 million in taxes to Belgium whoops….

• Genjikai

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:54 AM

Come on Belgium bankrupt the bastard.

• DubaiMicky

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:57 AM

We need the great Hercule Poirot, the famous Belgian detective Genjikai.

• Genjikai

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:00 AM

Dubai micky
    Ill phone Hercule up, genjikai the famous Belgium detective is on the case

• Genjikai

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:02 AM

Martoon
    And if matty does get sent off it is a learning curve.
    He is young. He will make mistakes, but he will grow.
    What a buzz for the young lad.

• Genjikai

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:22 AM

We are starting to see the young lads make a step up.
    Hopefully this spurs others on to put that extra bit effort in.
    Hopefully kell makes that step next year.
    More fire in your belly as you know you can get there.

• davo

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:22 AM

Hi all, just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in.
    I think Sean will really kick on for the rest of the season, no one likes being outshone by their little brother, although he’s obviously chuffed for him.
    Also,great to see the way ASM and Willems linked up.I hope Bruce shows the Longstaffs’ gps data to the rest of the midfielders, they ran their arses off.

• Mindshaft

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:07 AM

You would be crazy buying SD shares at the moment – can’t see anything but ultimate failure for high street ( especially when they are trying to buy every other failing brand out there), I posted a couple of years ago that people should stick a few hundred / thousand in bitcoin – price was 234 dollars then
    I’ve been involved since 2009 and am actually creating an interbank crypto currency so have some knowledge in this area 🙂
    Afraid I still can’t afford to but the toon

• Mindshaft

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Genji – you still going to Chelsea?

• Lindisfarne

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Not that i am confident about the alternative, but i wonder if Matty should play against Chelsea?

The reasons being its away so the huge crowd will not be as encouraging and the game will require patience, he maybe overconfident and try things out of character. Plus if the result goes against us, which is more probable, will it knock his confidence. Although having come through the U23s it will not be the first loss he will suffer.

• Genjikai

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Mindshaft
    Cant get graft off, used up all my holidays protesting.
    I know a group of lads going down from magpie group.
    Want me to get you in contact with them.