Newcastle have been linked with a couple of center-backs lately in Nottingham Forest’s Joe Worrall and Hellas Verona’s Koray Gunter.
With Newcastle having six capable central defenders in the ranks, it seems highly unlikely that they would pursue one this January. However, that may not be the case in the summer.
Federico Fernandez will be out of contract, and there have been no talks of him signing an extension. Ciaran Clark will have just one year left on his deal and there, likewise, has been no signs of an extension on the horizon for the 30-year-old.
This past summer, Newcastle were linked with Preston North End’s Ben Davies. There had been no follow up reports of Newcastle’s interest since the initial report in July.
Ben Davies– Is Steve Bruce after this defender?
The Sun have a new report on the 24-year-old which says Newcastle still maintain an interest in Davies.
The latest article reports that Brighton are lining up a £10m bid in January but stresses that Newcastle, Wolves, and Everton still have an interest in Preston defender.
In July, the Sun reported that Steve Bruce rated Davies from when he coached in the Championship. It was a cause for concern for some Preston fans.
I don't wanna bring bad news at this late stage of the night but…
Reports in the national press emerging tonight that #NUFC want #PNEFC defender Ben Davies after Steve Bruce's appointment. Allegedly a big fan of Davies.
Please God no.https://t.co/c41j16JD3D
— Deepdale Digest (@DeepdaleDigest) July 20, 2019
Davies has risen through all levels of the Preston Academy where he joined in 2013. He was initially a left-back. Two years he ago he moved to center-back and has excelled at the Championship level.
Last season he made 41 appearances in total. This term he has followed that up by playing every minute in the league so far. It has been an impressive start for Preston. They are currently third in the Championship just one point behind both West Brom and Nottingham Forest with a superior goal difference.
We doubt Newcastle would try to bring Davies in this winter. However, if he remains at Preston next summer, he may be a suitable replacement for Fernandez.
4 comments so far
Oct 8, 2019 at 2:30 PMComment #1
Sunderland AFC news LIVE – MSD Partners’ takeover is reportedly OFF…Report: MSD Partners’ takeover of Sunderland is OFF
SUNDERLAND’S super-rich American bidders are pulling out of takeover talks over the valuation of the club.
The League One sleeping giants have been told the shock news after MSD Partners spent over a month trying to finalise a deal.
from the chronicle …
The group, led by Glenn Fuhrman and backed by Dell computer cash, were unhappy with the buy-out plan after due diligence.
Owner Stewart Donald hoped to sell for a good price and keep a major say in the Black Cats.
But the Americans have too many questions unanswered.
The parties discussed initial figures over a multi-million sale before Fuhrman flew in to push on with the deal a few weeks ago.
Those numbers changed after queries were raised by the American’s legal team during a lengthy investigation.
The Americans felt the club was over-valued and also doubted whether they had as many assets on the academy side as they were led to believe.
Now Donald and his men are on the look-out for other investors.
He is also under pressure to sack boss Jack Ross but that would be a costly exercise.
Oct 8, 2019 at 2:36 PMComment #2
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Oct 8, 2019 at 3:34 PMComment #3
thought you’d like that …
this is off Igor by the way 😀
Oct 8, 2019 at 6:43 PMComment #4
I wonder if the US buyers have just discovered that Sun’Lun are a THIRD division club, and not the top league, hence making their asking price too high!