web analytics

Journalist Reveals The Two Magpies First In Line For New Deals

Newcastle have some key players whose current contracts are getting far too close to expiring. They have others who should get improved deals, but players like Isaac Hayden, Matt Ritchie, and Fabian Schar all are on contracts that expire in two years. While 19-year-old Matty Longstaff’s deal runs only through next summer.

We have heard precious little about a new deal for Fabian Schar, which is concerning. He should be at the top of the list, in our opinion.

At 27-years-old he is in his prime, and we would expect the club to make him one of the highest-paid players. On merit, he certainly deserves to be rewarded.

There have been recent reports this week that Matty Longstaff is in negotiations. There should be no issues with Matty signing; however, we could envision him waiting a bit to see how involved in the first team he becomes.

The Matt Ritchie situation is a lot more complicated as it is likely going to take a compromise on Ritchie’s part to stay at the club. At 30-years-old, Newcastle are not going to want to give Ritchie too long of a deal.

While this could be Matt’s last big contract, he is going to want to do what is best for his future. So we expect this one to linger for a bit.

The subject of contract talks was broached in the Chronicle’s Q&A yesterday. According to Mark Douglas, the process is ongoing. Though he suspects that Martin Dubravka and Isaac Hayden will be the first dominos to fall:

Newcastle started contract talks with several first-teamers after the summer transfer window closed and I’d expect Martin Dubravka and Isaac Hayden to be the first to come to agreements. Both are moving in the right direction although there’s still work to be done.

Around three weeks ago, Martin Dubravka revealed that he was close to signing a new contract. This is what Martin said at that time:

“I’m happy here. Since I came here, people have treated me really well. I can say that I feel at home here. I’m glad that people think that I can stay here for the longer-term.

“It’s such a big honor for me. Hopefully, we can keep our players in the squad, our leaders, and we can build on this.

“We’re in talks. I’m close. That’s what I can say.”

A report came out a few days after these comments that Martin’s new deal could double his wages to £70k/week. We have not heard much since, but it does seem like Martin is close to signing an improved contract.

Isaac Hayden has also been open about being in talks with Newcastle. Unlike Dubravka, though, Isaac’s deal is a little more pressing as his current one will expire in 2021.

In late August, this is what Isaac said about committing to Newcastle:

“I want to commit because it’s the right thing to do, because the club is going in the right direction and because the club value me in a certain way.

“There has to be a continuous goal to improve.

“I always want to improve and better myself; I want to play with better players and, if that means more money is being pumped into this club, then that can only be a good thing.

“I’m happy to have conversations about a new contract, as I’ve said to the manager and the club, but I have to be valued in the right way.”

With the uncertainty surrounding Rafa Benitez’s contract throughout the past year, it seems that some of the players have been put on the back burner. The club really need to get to work on signing these players quickly.

The January window is fast approaching and if players like Fabian Schar just have a year-and-a-half remaining on their contracts, it could put the club in a precarious situation if another team comes in with a bid.

The best case scenario would see Schar, Hayden, Dubravka, Ritchie, the Longstaff brothers, and goalkeeper Freddie Woodman all tied down for years to come.

• lesh

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:17 PM

Negotiating with Matty are they? With such potential, Ashley should be telling Charnley to make offers to him and other talent we should hold on to, an offer he can’t refuse.

Will that happen? Unlikely the way the club fannys on in any negotiations.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:24 PM

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    Lesh ..Despite numerous attempts to explain to you that I don’t read the Daily Heil as you call it nor any other newspaper, you still insist that my comments to you regarding your obsession with the loony far left are plagiarised from these newspapers. This is simply not true.
    I can only explain this to you yet again but I can’t understand it for you.
    You are making yourself look a proper mumpsimus.

• RobLeenio

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:48 PM

lesh, the club did exactly the same with Sean Longstaff when he broke into the team. While his new salary wasn’t massive it was enough to go out and buy himself a snazzy apartment immediately, not far from his parents but a pad of his own.

I imagine they’ll be looking to upgrade Sean’s contract and put Matty on a similar deal to what Sean is on now. Just something to keep the wolves from the metaphorical door.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:58 PM

Still can’t understand why an unproven talent like Joelinton can’t be given just a four year deal and if he’s any good offer him a much improved deal, it might be a bit more expensive short term but if this kid doesn’t work out we’re stuck with him for six years. I’ve said it a hundred times on here, with this policy of given out long deals, the best players are sold as the club wishes but you are then left with the players that no one else wants which eventually leads to a full team lacking in quality.

• Jib

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:00 PM

A flat in Tynemouth – a snazzy pad – wait until I tell the missus
    😀

• RobLeenio

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:10 PM

Lol, sure it’s not LA, but compared to Preston Grange, it’s not bad….

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Whatever happened to sing in the corner, it’s funny the way some posters just drift away. Hope he’s still reading.

• lesh

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:21 PM

RobLeenio

Agreed that the younguns with great potential shouldn’t be offered such eye-watering terms that’ll go to their heads and potentially derail their development. But, will Charnley have the nous to offer incentivised, incremental contracts that’ll show the likes of the Longstaff lads that Ashley has ambitions for success on the field and convince them that they have a long-term future at Newcastle United? They’ll be offered terms that’ll minimise any risk to the club exposing them, the players, to the temptations of the ‘bigger’ clubs which are prepared to take more risks on young players. The likes of ManU, Citeh and others actually think bigger than Ashley and take bigger risks and that is where our problems stem from – relative parsimony.

• IrishRob

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:21 PM

BOYCOTT…. did he flop at Chelsea though, or did Chelsea just prematurely sell him. I can’t remember him playing for Chelsea but I do remember people were very surprised when they sold him, that doesnt sound like a player who flopped tbh, but I could be wrong.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:23 PM

I’ll take the safe bet and say you were wrong.

• B1GSTEVE

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:23 PM

jail,
    once a day

• lesh

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:24 PM

RobL

@8 could’ve done with a review before posting! Looking at it again, it seems my English teacher wasted his time on me. 😐

• IrishRob

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:27 PM

Also arguing that just because things worked out once, doesn’t mean its gonna work out again. That’s a pretty weak argument, surely you stand a better chance of predicting the future by going off performances and rationale. Rather than the hope that it happened once so it will happen again.????

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:31 PM

B1GSTEVE,
    Fair play to you, what do you think about six year deals, Rebakahhh Vardy and IrishRob being wrong about everything all the time?

• lesh

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:35 PM

Bettys

I do believe I said that you’ve said you don’t read the papers, not least the Daily Heil. I was merely alluding to the way the opinions of those without any affiliation to the established parties are influenced by vox-pop, subliminal conditioning via the media. Such methods are widely acknowledged as forming the opinions of those who don’t question what they’re hearing, reading or seeing but assimilate and repeat them as part of their normal language. I’m sure you don’t fall into that category.

A ‘proper mumpsimus’ eh? Bettys, you are awful!

• B1GSTEVE

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:37 PM

jail, Ithink 6 yr deals are just to set a selling price, I’ve no interest in social media or so called celebrities and iriosh rob aint the only one

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:43 PM

B1GSTEVE,
    I thought about that, the contract length should affect wages but why would it affect the price, does it make a difference to the selling club whether they sign a four, five or six year deal.

• geordietom

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:47 PM

Newcastle should make Jetro Willems’ deal permanent immediately…

Newcastle’s on-loan left-back Jetro Willems has been impressive since he found his Premier League feet, and news that a fee for a permanent deal is already agreed is fantastic for the club.

That the fee is reportedly “less than £6 million”, according to the Chronicle, and it could prove to be one of the best bargain signings at St James’ Park for years.
    With players already on-loan at a club being able to turn that into a permanent deal at any time – even outside the transfer window – Newcastle should be getting the paperwork done on it right now.

After a tricky introduction during the opening weekend defeat against Arsenal, when there was a communication error between the player and Steve Bruce, as well as Willems being caught ball-watching for their winning goal, the Dutchman has been outstanding.He is has done well defensively, and has been a constant threat in attack. That was summed up by his magnificent opening goal at Anfield a few weeks ago.

He was also instrumental in Matty Longstaff’s winner against Manchester United on Sunday, with him jinking around with the ball in the box, before laying it off perfectly for the Geordie youngster.
    So with a lot of talk about who Newcastle should sign in January, or contract extensions for current players, the first point of business should be getting Willems to sign on the dotted line of a four or five year deal as soon as possible.

• B1GSTEVE

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM

jail, you know better than that

• Just a fan

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Jail once a day.
    Three year deals are crap.explain.
    First year player settles in.ok a few hit the deck running.
    Second year player plays good..
    Result.one year left on his contact thus his value is halved at least or he runs down his contract.
    Five year deal better but yes I understand the downside if the player is really really crap.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:55 PM

B1GSTEVE,
    Who at the club decides that Schar should only get a three year deal but Joelinton a six?

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:56 PM

Howay geordietom,
    You know the rules, when copying and pasting you need to name the source.

• Nufc-83

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:00 PM

Jail why would any club who truly believe in a young player who they have invested 30-40m quid in their right mind put them on a 3 year contract. The risk is much higher that the player walks for nothing or a very low amount as they come into the final year. That screams to me a stepping stone contract for players who are already looking for a next move.

You also go on like we are a selling club which I would like you to back up as that’s clearly not true or none more so than any other club.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:01 PM

Does anyone think Schar has been offered a new deal, did his deal run down last time or was it a relegation clause.

• B1GSTEVE

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:01 PM

jail, I wish I knew. It appears as if churnley does it all.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:02 PM

Nufc-83,
    Where did I say three year deal?

• Nufc-83

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:02 PM

Also regarding Almiron anyone labelling him in the useless bracket needs to stop watching football and try another sport. Completely clueless comes to mind.

• Nufc-83

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:04 PM

Lol just a fan sent me on the wrong path then 🙂

Still 4 year deals are crap so shut up!

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:04 PM

Where did I mention giving Joelinton a three year deal I mean?

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:07 PM

A four year deal imo would have been the safer option, it just means giving him a pay rise after a year, which the club don’t obviously like doing, they’d rather encourage them to want a move by keeping them on the same deal.

• Nufc-83

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:08 PM

You didn’t you said 4 and that’s why I said just a fan sent me down the wrong path?

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Schar is in the last year of his deal at the end of the season, you can’t blame him for waiting to see what division he is in.

• Nufc-83

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM

4 year is not terrible but I don’t disagree with 5 or 6 either. Anything less than 4 I certainly don’t agree with.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Nufc-83,
    A fool rushes in where angels fear to tread!!!

• Nufc-83

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Schar will sign a new deal.

• martoon

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Jail – re contract length – I think what you’re not allowing for is the player’s agent trying to negotiate the best deal he can for his player. Obviously the longer the contract the more setup for life the player is and I would imagine the agent gets a bigger cut. So it’s all about striking a deal and also a longer deal protects us from the player walking away at the end of his contract – if you’ve paid out £40m you certainly don’t want that to happen but if course there is the downside that you can be stuck with them. For the agent it’s win, win – a longer deal means more money for the agent and if the player is sold before the contract ends then even more money for him!

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:10 PM

A six year deal is ridiculous unless you are buying a proven player.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:13 PM

martoon,
    I also think the longer the contract the lower the weekly wage, that’s why we’re fond of long contracts, if they were offered ambition and a pay rise they wouldn’t walk away.

• toonluvva

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:53 PM

The fans are anxious to sign up a number of players on renewed contracts.
    Don’t forget it will be Charnley who will be doing this, after he has decided whether to stock up on custard creams or bourbons.

It could be a looong wait.