web analytics

Former Magpie Describes Moment That Defined His Premier League Career

Former Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse has been doing some interviews with the British press recently. One of the outlets which he spoke extensively to was the Athletic.

During that interview, Cisse touched on the wonder strike he had at Stamford Bridge in our fantastic 2011-12 season. That goal was Cisse’s 13th in his first 12 games for Newcastle.

It was also our last win of the campaign as Newcastle would lose the final two fixtures against Champions Manchester City then away to Everton.

This is how Cisse remembers that magical moment:

“But this one was ridiculous. Just instinct really. The ball was there, I was free, time was almost up… if it goes wide, at least we’ve wasted a few seconds. You can see I know where the goalkeeper is, so it’s about somehow making sure the shot is on target. I just swing across it.

“I never knew it would fly like that, though. You hope, but this kind of goal can happen only one time in your career. You need luck on your side, and the belief that you can score just to try from there.

“Strikers have to have that confidence. They have to improvise in a second. I’m not saying I’m one of the best, but all the big strikers – Samuel Eto’o, Didier Drogba – know you have to improvise. I’m happy to have this (ability).

“I’ve scored over 160 goals in my career, for teams in five countries, and this is the only one people ever talk about. This is my identity, this goal.

“They never talk about the first that night, which I loved: Davide Santon gave me the ball just inside the box and I had a split second to control and finish with my second touch, right into the top corner.

“They never mention that, probably because, after that second one, the first looked like a more ‘normal’ goal.”

That first goal at Chelsea was a well-taken one as well. Santon did brilliantly to find Cisse in the box. Cisse flipped the ball up with his right-foot and rifled a volley into the back of the net with his left foot.

We are also partial to his second strike against Swansea in April where he chipped Michel Vorm while fading away.

Though the final goal of his inaugural season was something to behold. It was chosen as the 2011-12 Premier League goal of the season.

Though this goal for Senegal which he scored a few months later belongs up there with the Chelsea goal.

• lesh

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:05 AM

Mr Effin Frog

Do try to contain yourself! Your delight at Ashley feeling wronged by those nasty big lads Nike and Adidas, though understandable, rendered The Blog unreadable.

It is an irony that Ashley, who’s quick to bully ailing companies, feels intimidated by others. Poor thing, JD Sports are growing while SD’s being squeezed and he’s going on like the school-yard bully who’s faced with the big lads. He thinks he’s being unfairly treated? He’s biting off more than he can chew if he wants to challenge the really big players

Maybe it’s time he thought about the poor sods, his employees and subcontractors who’ve got no choice but to be treat like slaves. Oh, and let’s not forget the zillions of Toon fans who’ll be having a quiet chuckle.

• Genjikai

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:18 AM

Aww poor mike.
    Its never mikes fault that no one wants to play ball with him.

• Genjikai

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:20 AM

Get used to it mike its just standard business practice.
    Maybe you boys where right on here after all.
    Im glad im not a businessman having to shit on people everyday.

• The Wife

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:07 AM

toon22

Hope you don’t mind, but I took the liberty of adding a few “pauses for breath” in your unbridled laughter two articles back in order to keep up the blog’s aesthetics. 😉

• Genjikai

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:10 AM

The wife
    Dangerous territory editing peoples posts.
    Now i dont trust anything ive wrote past present or future.

• lesh

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:35 AM

Genjikai

Aye, I know what you mean and was thinking the same myself. If i was me, I wouldn’t believe a word I said until the younger Mrs Harrison put her red pencil to work on it.

Given the true state of the UK’s economy, it’s comforting to know that you’re keeping the wheels of industry turning. You’re an example to us all. 😉

• lesh

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:40 AM

The Wife

My heart goes out to you having taken on the task of reading some of the trips that’s posted on here. It’s only when you read it that you realise that Trump’s a relative genius!

• lesh

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:43 AM

That’s enough from.me, goodnight/ day all.

• Genjikai

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:44 AM

Lesh
    You give me too much credit.
    I havnt left my workshop seat.
    All week.

• Genjikai

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:45 AM

The wife
    Can you edit my last post just incase my boss reads over the blog….

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:38 AM

Well what an absolute shitehouse Nufc-83 really is, using geordietom’s good news to tell us how pathetic discussing the land at Strawberry place is before starting a discussion on why we aren’t a selling club. There are hundreds of people objecting to this proposed building,hopefully thousands, fanzines are publishing the links on how to do it including Ed and Neil yet Nufc83 seems to think it pathetic. Ashley is shamelessly profiting while stunting the clubs growth. True colours!

• Jib

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:43 AM

Jail
    I’m sure even as adult you could sign up for an English comprehension class
    It’s never too late

he actually said:-

brings it home how pathetic we are at times arguing on a football blog about things such as land ownership

I think it takes an absolute shitehouse to twist peoples words

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:49 AM

No Jib,
    I never twisted his words at all, he thinks it’s pathetic arguing over this land deal. There’s nothing pathetic about it at all, it is very relevant and important to the future of the club. It has got nothing at all to do with another posters good news and to entwine the two is nothing short of disgraceful.

• Nufc-83

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:56 AM

Wow jail weasel is a perfect name for you after that post. Did I say it wasn’t an important issue? No I didn’t I just said it’s pathetic that people (me included) spend time arguing on a football blog about it with people you will generally never meet.

The selling club question is an interesting topic that I’m keen to hear people’s opinion. I hear that term used a lot in football and when I think about us I only really recall Carroll as being a sale purely for the money. I don’t believe we are a selling club so wanted Trent to expand.

What a weasel wow shocking.

• hibbit

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:00 AM

Jib
    what source are you quoting, Re nexus blocking the ground extension ??????

• Nufc-83

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:01 AM

Gareth Southgate really is a top manager and dealt with that situation last night so well. I was first to call him a grade A clown and put him in a similar bracket to Pardew and McLaren. How wrong I was!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:16 AM

Nufc-83,
    If that was the case then it is pathetic arguing any of the points we bring up here. You chose to use that particular point as you have made your feelings clear on what you think of a stupid car park and I think it’s shameful in the manner in which you highlighted it.

• Jib

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:28 AM

hibbit
    A 125-year lease, on land opposite the Gallowgate end, was purchased from Nexus in 1998 by Sir John Hall who told them it was for a hotel and casino complex.
    I suspect it was always at the back of SJH’s mind to extend the Gallowgate as at that time matchday money was the main source of revenue.
    He commissioned a feasibility report on extending the stadium which was a waste of time
    because Nexus as landlords have the last word – and their word was NAY as they could
    still expand the Metro westward

• Nufc-83

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:35 AM

Weasel. I could have used many topics which has seen me spend time going back and forth trying to score points with idiots like yourself but the land was a fresh subject at the time. As I said it’s pathetic and while many people have posted such comments telling us they are sick of this we continued. When you see a post like tom’s it hits home that it truly is pathetic.

Anyway that’s me done for arguing and point scoring so go ahead and twist the post as you see fit im sure your bum chums will lap it up.

• hibbit

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:43 AM

Jib
    there’s no mention of a Nexus veto in that 2015 article, is that article that your basing your statement on or do you have more information that Nexus actually blocked the stadium development ??

• BenbulbenMag

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:53 AM

I’ll always remember the look on Drogbas face when Cisse scored that wonder goal. He just shook his head and smiled wryly as if to say Chelsea needn’t have bothered showing up there that night.

We has such high hopes back then, it was like the second coming of Andy Cole.

• BenbulbenMag

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:54 AM

had

• martoon

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:02 AM

Nufc-83 @16 – I agree I thought he handled the situation very well. However while the racist abuse was disgusting I thought the racists actually won by the fact that all the time was spent discussing the chanting and no analysis on the 6 goals that England scored!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:11 AM

Nufc-83,
    We get it, you think the land issue is pathetic, hundreds, possibly thousands of others don’t.

• Nufc-83

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:11 AM

Martoon fair point that I bet the racists loved all the media attention!

• Mindshaft

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:14 AM

Another day, same old people arguing amongst themselves

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:14 AM

weasel: a deceitful or treacherous person.
    I haven’t once deceived or betrayed the blog, now I can think of one or two others that have mind, one of them is still posting despite receiving a lifetime ban.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:18 AM

hibbit,
    #20,
    I was going to say the same myself and the article, being published in 2015 is completely irrelevant to the plans that were thought up prior to 2007. I hope the council see the bigger picture and realise more money and jobs can be gained in the future if there was a stadium expansion that included a hotel and restaurants etc. This would all depend on a new owner.

• Jib

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:21 AM

NUFC
    Are the closest they’ve been to a fully fit squad for some time.
    It makes those who said Bruce’s training regime would produce
    more injuries , look a bit stupid.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:52 AM

It just never gives up does it. Out of all the stupid comments it has made and countless times it has been left with egg on it’s face, it never knows when to stop.

• hibbit

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:01 AM

jib

i suspect for reasons known only to yourself, your trying to lay the blame for the sale of the strawberry lease firmly at the Nexus door,
    i can but wounder why ?????????

• Jib

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:02 AM

Weasel I feel your frustration and anger
    You’d feel much better if you returned to your first love
    The team on the Wear

• Jib

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:13 AM

hibbit
    You have a very simple view of the world
    It’s not a blame game
    The irony is ,
    If everyone had hung fire
    Nexus have now abandoned plans to
    expand West underground.
    They invoked a section 106 on Marrico’s plans
    but have now backed off , so if Ashley hadn’t
    acted so hastily he would have had a much
    more valuable piece of real estate.
    But that’s Ashley I’m afraid
    He only seems able to see the fast buck in
    front of his nose

• simon376

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:17 AM

Hibbit
    I really can’t remember where I read or heard about it and I’m sure it goes back more like 10 years, but sure I heard/read somewhere that Nexus said no as would cause problems or stop them doing something with the metro. Sure all it would have meant was a redesign of Newcastle’s plans and not having to stop altogether

• martoon

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:18 AM

I’m just trying to work out which of our squad are still away on International duty:
    Looking at nufc.com I reckon Schar is playing tonight against ROI & Kraft is against Spain so I guess they won’t be back in training until Thursday. Then Yedlin has a game tonight in Canada and so he’s not going to be back until at least Thursday and then Atsu is playing somewhere in Africa but not until Thursday so difficult to see how he would even be ready for Saturday?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:21 AM

The irony of one of the blogs biggest weasel’s calling somebody else a weasel. As I’ve said many times, he’s so stupid and arrogant it actually prevents him from realising how stupid and arrogant he really is. Stupid is as stupid does the old saying goes.

• Jib

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Krafth
    Didn’t play in Sweden’s last game and won’t tonight ( I think)
    which means he’s been training with an international squad
    and so should slot straight in.

I would go with pretty much the starting eleven v Man U
    Dubs
    Krafth Schar Lascelles Clark Willems
    Almiron Longstaff x 2 Saint Maximin
    Joelinton

However we should have a strong bench
    Dummett
    Carroll
    Gayle
    Manquillo
    Darlow
    Yedlin
    Shelvey/Ki

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:39 AM

martoon,
    Have you made your transfer(s) yet.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:39 AM

”I’m sure even as adult you could sign up for an English comprehension class
    It’s never too late”

Oh the irony….! Shouldn’t that be ”as an adult”

• Mindshaft