web analytics

Local Journalist Names Two Players He Can’t See Getting Dropped

It’s hard to argue with the notion that Fabian Schar has been our best player this year. Since breaking into the first team last November, the Swiss defender has been absolutely superb for Newcastle.

He finally got the call last season and just seemed to get better and better before finishing the season on a high with his magnificent performance at Fulham in the finale. Schar continued where he left off this season and has been Newcastle’s best player in the early months.

Schar is one cog in what is Newcastle’s deepest position. With the team most comfortable in a back three, there are six quality players to fight it out for the three places. However, there are two of the six who seem to be cemented as the first names on the team sheet.

Fabian has been a constant in the team since last November, but Jamaal Lascelles’s place has been secure since being appointed captain three years ago.

In their weekly Q&A, the Chronicle were asked who they thought would start in central defense at Stamford Bridge on Saturday. Newcastle writer Ciaran Kelly had this to say:

The Newcastle head coach has been very impressed by Fabian Schar, a straight talker who is emerging as a key figure in the dressing room, and greatly values what he can do on the ball as well as that resilience he has shown in recent weeks with some crucial clearances and interceptions.

Jamaal Lascelles is skipper so, personally, I can’t see him dropping out either so it is that third slot that is still up for grabs.

Paul Dummett was a colossus at Spurs in August but struggled at left-back when Newcastle reverted to a back four at Leicester and lost his place to Ciaran Clark against Manchester United.

Considering it was his first league start since January, I was impressed by Clark, who made some big headed clearances, and I would stick with him for the trip to Chelsea.

While we agree with Kelly’s assessment that Bruce should keep the same back three at Chelsea, we don’t think that Jamaal Lascelles is necessarily undroppable just because he is the captain. Or at least he shouldn’t be.

As we saw against Manchester United, change can often lead to improved performances. Bruce’s introduction of Ciaran Clark, DeAndre Yedlin, Allan Saint-Maximin, and Matty Longstaff proved to be masterful.

We think these players should get another shot at Stamford Bridge. However, we don’t believe that any player’s place should be considered untouchable.

Places should be based on performances. That will help keep the whole squad on their toes and ready to come in whenever their name is called.

• jasper

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:39 PM

I followed Gebjikai’s link to the planning application for Strawberry place.
    I was astonished to find only 29 comments, mostly objections.

I would suggest that people spend a little less time on internecine blog warfare and get your objections in ASAP. To be effective the number of objections should be numbered in the hundreds if not thousands.
    The link
    Should take you straight to the page.

• Jib

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:46 PM

I’d still like to see fabulous Fabian tried as a DM

• Jib

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:48 PM

That’s once fantastic Florian is back up to speed of course

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:49 PM

jasper,
    There are tons of people on here who clearly have time on their hands, someone hasn’t been arsed to make the objection on here.

• Trent1211

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:03 PM

Jasper I know that me and a fair few of my mates have logged our objections and for some reason they aren’t visible. I did it months ago. August time I think. 29 is not the total.

• Trent1211

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:03 PM

Genj I will knock something up.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:07 PM

I think you would lose a lot from Schaar in cemtre mid. As/For a centre half he is outstanding on the ball. Stick him in centre mid and he loses that extra second or two of time/space which would leave him far less effective.

I love Schaar, I said when he joined he was the best signing we made, and I stood by that even when he wasn’t playing, but as a centre mid, only in games where we are dominant and pressing them deep throughout.

• Jib

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:10 PM

Lilo
    I defer to your superior knowledge and experience

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:10 PM

Jail,
    Tons of people, or are they all alts?

• jane

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:16 PM

this link show the number of season ticket holders each Premier league club had in the 2016/17 season. Newcastle were 5th highest with 38,000.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:19 PM

Lilongwe Geordie,
    I think there are lots of people that aren’t alts as well.

• jane

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:20 PM

Liverpool only have 25,000 season ticket holders which was mentioned on Talksport a few days ago in a discussion about football finances. apparently it is to give more opportunity for football tourists to attend as they spend more in the club shop in their one-off visit.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:25 PM

We get Dutch stag do’s who might buy a burger from a van outside.

• Genjikai

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:35 PM

Jasper
    If you look at the documents, then comments you will see that there is 100s of objections.
    You have to click on them and download then to see them.
    Last time i looked there was 700 objections.

• jane

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:42 PM

• jane

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:50 PM

another thing the football finance expert said is that the biggest increase in club income in the next few years will be from European club competitions. perhaps that is why billionaires prefer to buy teams like Lausanne, Bordeaux and Nice that have a good chance of qualifying for Europe.

• jane

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM

“Phil Parkinson is set to be named as Sunderland manager.” apparently.

• stan anderson

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:29 PM

This blog has turned into a farce really

• stan anderson

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:30 PM

A bit like the club.

• stan anderson

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:31 PM

Jib is Jane without a doubt.

• jane

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:39 PM

it’s a farce when people talk about alts.

• toon22

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:52 PM

Hiya Jane

How’s KBA doing ?

LoL

• jane

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:59 PM

i’m no longer on the payroll.

• toon22

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:00 PM

😉

• toon22

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:01 PM

Company changed name or Jabba is using a new PR firm ?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:14 PM

JohnJ

Cheers mate, was I just being a bit thick or was it hard to find?

Anyway will get on to it tomorrow.

Didn’t count the objections but I’m sure there’s a lot more than 29.

• Genjikai

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:17 PM

Do you think its 29 objections that have actually been counted on grounds worthy of an object.
    Like 2 days ago i looked and it said 25 objects in the comments. And 560 comments overall.
    Then today it says 29 objections and there is over 800 comments now?
    Jib you said you have done this before can you explain how it works?

• JohnJ

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:45 PM

Repost

Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:13 PM

I had great difficulty finding an email address but after a lot of time & searching I found the one below.

planning.control@newcastle.gov.uk

• JohnJ

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:50 PM

Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:14 PM

No you weren’t being “thick” or I was too – it took me a lot of time to find it. I put my original objection in view the internet but after comments on here I modified it and posted an email to the Planning Dept.

🙂

• JohnJ

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:51 PM

via the internet

• Big Archie

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:26 AM

I agree Schar has been our best player but as for Lascelles – well thats a different story.

As far as I’m concerned he has become a liability. He’s half a yard slower than he needs to be, doesn’t read the game well at all and seems to have swapped his positional sense for a few extra kilos around the waist.

The 2 penalties that should have been,were typical of what he has become. Its all about tussles in the box, Strictly and shirt pulling with him now, and when pundits are saying that the opposition look for Lascelles to get the ball so they can pressure him, because he’ lacks confidence and ability on the ball, that should be an invitation to the bench.