web analytics

Bruce All But Confirms Start For Youngster

In his first press conference since the Manchester United victory, Steve Bruce was, of course, going to get a lot of questions on the man of the moment, Matty Longstaff.

One of the questions Steve was bound to get asked was if the 19-year-old would be able to follow his heroics at Manchester United with a start at Chelsea.

The Athletic’s Chris Waugh tweeted Bruce’s response to the question:

It looks almost certain that Matty Longstaff will get his third start as a Magpie. With Isaac Hayden out through suspension, it was always a safe assumption that would be the case.

We will likely see the same midfield pairing as the Manchester United game with Sean Longstaff keeping his place as well. With this being an away match against a very dynamic top-six side, both Jonjo Shelvey and Ki Sung-yueng are not likely to get the nods over the Longstaff brothers.

Both Sean and Matty are in negotiations with the club on new contracts. While Sean still has a few years left on the deal he signed last December, Matty’s deal runs out in the summer.

Getting the 19-year-old tied down for years to come has now become a top priority for Newcastle. Steve Bruce was also asked about the youngster’s contract negotiations during the press conference.

Lee Charnley has a lot of work to do to get this core group of players under contract. It has been a problem since the summer and also been an ongoing topic of discussion in the press.

The fact that we don’t have any players signed on new deals yet is a little frustrating. As we see it, the following players should be signed on new contracts before the January window opens to prevent any transfer window shenanigans; Fabian Schar, Isaac Hayden, Sean Longstaff, Matty Longstaff, and Martin Dubravka.

In addition to those five, we would also hope that Matt Ritchie and goalkeeper Freddie Woodman are in negotiations for new deals as well.

How Will Newcastle Do At Chelsea On Saturday?

• Lose (46%, 583 )
  • Draw (28%, 354 )
  • Win (25%, 318 )

Total Voters: 1,255

Loading ... Loading ...

• IrishRob

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:08 PM

Its impossible not to love the Longstaffs!!!!

• Lindisfarne

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:09 PM

Are we including a friendly as a start or have I missed a match?

• Lindisfarne

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:10 PM

“We used to fight a lot and my mam once had to ask Newcastle’s coaches to have a word and tell us to behave but we got it out of the way at a young age. We realised we had to help each other.” Longstaffffff

Not sure this has been picked up, an excellent read.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:21 PM

We could do with some finishing like this from Dwight Gayle:

Probably not tomorrow or anytime soon, but if Dwight can come good it maybe in tandem with Joelinton.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Lindisfarne,
    From previous. Jeff the weasel was talking out of his ar$e as usual and swallocks was just ribbing him with that post.

• IrishRob

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:39 PM

He wont get a chance to score half those goals in the premier league. You can tell the drop in standard in the championship.

• Online Guy

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:42 PM

Iv commented on Bruce and possibly been a tad harsh ..my comments are coloured by the fact that Bruce will be kowtowing to Ashley .

I don’t think Bruce will let Ash walk all over him though..there will be a line Ash can’t cross with him.

His pride and his roots won’t let Ashley have total control

Thing is will Ashley fund him to a degree where we compete in the top half of the table ?

Answers no .

• Lindisfarne

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:56 PM

Jail for Ashley

cheers for the clarification, sorry I was not up to speed as I could not bring myself to read the entire days comments.

apologies again betty

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:24 PM

Just wondering but is there a Thomas Cook in Newcastle and if so has it reopened?

• geordietom

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:27 PM

EGB …

they are now owned by Hay’s Travel who bought the shops ect , one problem with Hay’s Travel their from scumberland …

• Genjikai

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:29 PM

Nust vote email has just came through.
    You can vote for the nust board now if your a member.
    Get voting.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:33 PM

Just scratching my quota a bit again. Since scoring will be by far our biggest concern this season shouldn’t we be testing several possible forward combinations now, early in the season? LintyJoe/Gayle, LintyJoe/Carroll, Carroll/Gayle and possibly just so Essex has a chance to win TGS prediction LintyJoe/Muto or Carroll/Muto? We need to see some different combinations up front early in matches!!!

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:35 PM

Since my crystal balls have already made several prophecies for the season how about you lot coming up with some interesting predictions? Please see yesterday’s posts to learn how many goals LintyJoe will score in the league this season for example. It may surprise you…..

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:37 PM

It’s ok to be harsh aboot Mr. Brucie OG. We all feel that way. Just look at him. From a manly Spaniard to a bowl of oatmeal. It’s just too sad for words!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:44 PM

geordietom

Yeah I knew that, John Hays is from Seaham but Irene Hays is from Ashington so there is some redemption there! 🙂

He seems to be a really decent bloke!

• geordietom

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:45 PM

EGB …

at least a lot of people haven’t lost their jobs which is a good thing …

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:46 PM

G2
    Watch that scratching mate, don’t overdo it. 😉

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:48 PM

I don’t understand why Thomas Cook went under. They always seemed very busy to me. They must have had a poor business plan or something? Or somebody was pulling out too much of the profits? Smells like overpaid executives to me…

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:49 PM

When you’ve got a quota the size of mine Essex mate you have to be constantly scratching it…..

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:51 PM

There’s nothing worse than the smell of overpaid executives. Pooo! It happened in Canada with Sears. The top executives got their golden parachutes and the employees lost their pension plan.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:52 PM

I see Muto getting half a dozen little nuggets for us this season. Could be very helpful indeed. Mutomutomutomutomuto!!!

• Just a fan

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:56 PM

I’m a bit confused about weasels.
    If someone calls you a weasel,not very nice, do you just call him back a weasel.
    Not a very good comeback.
    Bit like calling the Ben report the traitor report.
    Yes I watched news night once.

• Tramp

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:02 PM

In all my years as a football supporter I somehow missed the idea that clubs would purposefully decorate and lay out the away changing room in an inferior way.

I’m not sure how I missed this or why I never even considered it but I have just watched a vid on Youtube that shows the difference between Bolton’s Home and Away changing rooms.

The vid is by Tubes of SoccerAM (When it was good) and features Jimmy Bullard (No introduction needed).

Changing rooms shown at 9mins and 15 seconds in.

Anybody ever seen Newcastle away changing room?

• the ledge

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:03 PM

God I miss rafa f..king Steve Bruce like!

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:03 PM

Weasels are just tiny honey badger wannabe’s as far as I can tell. Pathetic really. And who is this Ed Woodward? Does he know anything aboot football? Are you getting worried yet ManU fans?

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:04 PM

Powered by Mutonium!!!!

• the ledge

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:05 PM

We hope to keep our best player !
    God dam cabbage head !

• the ledge

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:09 PM

Cant even get excited about the longstaff brothers what’s the point they will be sold .
    27 years supporting the club and we have F..KIN STEVE BRUCE

• GeordieTwo

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:09 PM

Howay the lads!!! Down with Cabbage Heed!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:13 PM

Just reread my cannabis coffee leaves and I believe they mizzled me, I’m now getting Dwight coming on tomorrow as a sub and scoring twice, dunno if they are taking the p!ss or whether I made it too strong, will still only be a joint (huh huh huh) top scorer though with Almiron.

• the ledge

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:13 PM

I’m Irish and love bacon and cabbage and I swear I will never eat cabbage again .
    Cant believe it Steve Bruce what the f..k like .

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:15 PM

the ledge

I’ve started to think of him as Kimchi head, NY Mag’s fault! 🙂

• the ledge

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:16 PM

I would take pardew back rather than Steve Bruce.
    I’d even let jib picture me naked in his creepy taxi, if we get rid of Steve f..king Bruce

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:18 PM

My readings may have been influenced by how happy Gayle is looking in the training pictures!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:20 PM

18 hours 40 minutes to KO, less than a day now!

• the ledge

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:21 PM

God dam like how the hell have we fallen this far .
    I taught once that geordies would not put up with this of s..t .
    Im talking about the die hard every game fan,the reason I fell in love with Newcastle at 13 years of age .
    Even the hammers fans put up a fight .
    Steve f..king Bruce

• RobLeenio

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Tramp I haven’t seen the away dressing room but I did a stadium tour once and they were very keen to point out the difference in the chairs and benches in the home and away dug outs.

The home ones were heated and luxurious, the away ones were pretty much like cafe seats.

They probably haven’t been changed since then and it was nine years ago 😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Tramp

Given Bolton’s record over the past few seasons, it looks like they’ve been getting them mixed up! 🙂

Not really laughing at Bolton they’ve had some bad sh!t recently.

• IrishRob

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:25 PM

Ledge that’s pretty Gey!! Jib is a Dude, no way hes a girl.

• RobLeenio

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:26 PM

John J, I reckon that has to be the plan with Zouma. If you go toe to toe he’ll win every time, but play into space and run past him, I reckon he’ll struggle to turn quick enough.

Of course, it’s all relative. If I tried it, he’d look like Usain bolt.