web analytics

Newcastle Need To Extend This Future Star

Freddie Woodman has been a revelation in the fifth loan spell of his young career. His move this summer to Swansea has seen the 22-year-old start every league game for the 4th placed Championship side.

His previous loan spells were just for a few months at Hartlepool and Crawley Town when he was still a teen. As he progressed, he was sent to Scottish clubs Kilmarnock and Aberdeen in the winter windows of 2017 and 2018.

Woodman extended his current contract to 2021 on the day he moved on loan this summer. His performances at Swansea will hopefully spurn Lee Charnley to try and tie down Freddie on a longer term deal to ensure he stays at Newcastle.

In a recent report, the Chronicle made the following claim about Newcastle’s intentions with the young goalkeeper:

The Magpies also want to extend the stay of England under-21 goalkeeper Freddie Woodman, currently on loan at Swansea and whose deal expires in 2021.

The line for new deals at Newcastle is quite long at the moment unfortunately. We just hope that the glut of players needing new deals does not cause the club to lose a player like Woodman unnecessarily.

While he is likely behind current members of the first-team, Freddie could be our future number one keeper. His contract needs to be a priority for Newcastle.

Woodman has given a recent interview during the international break. Speaking to swanseacity.com this is what Freddie had to say about his progress this season:

“Working with the gaffer and Marge has been great for my development.

“I am the type of player and person who wants to get better every day, and I feel the gaffer and Marge (goalkeeping coach Martyn Margetson) are improving my game every day.

“Me and Marge have conversations all the time – ‘did you see this’, ‘can we improve this’. It’s a brilliant way to work and a great mindset.

“I can see this throughout the club. There is always the mentality of how do we improve? That’s something I’ve been brought up on.”

Freddie’s improvement is there for all to see with his recent displays. He also seems so enthusiastic to get to back to work after the break.

“I am really happy with the way I’ve played so far too, but there’s a lot of hard work and improvement to come from me.

“There have been a few disappointing results, but on the whole it’s been a very promising start.

“And I am itching to get back onto the pitch. When I was an international, I loved the international window, but now I’m not playing internationally I hate it and I want to be back on the pitch as quickly as possible.

“So Saturday can’t come soon enough!”

Swansea lost a disappointing match at home to last placed Stoke City right before the break.

They will travel to face Barnsley on Saturday and we’re pretty sure Freddie will get his twelfth straight start.

How Will Newcastle Do At Chelsea On Saturday?

• Lose (46%, 583 )
  • Draw (28%, 354 )
  • Win (25%, 318 )

Total Voters: 1,255

Loading ... Loading ...

• RobLeenio

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:45 PM

Good on yer, Freddie. Future England keeper? Imagine an England squad with 3 Geordies in it – not beyond the realms of possibility, given a couple of seasons.

• RobLeenio

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:47 PM

Of course, Freddie isn’t strictly speaking a Geordie, but you get my point.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:50 PM

Wonder what jib and his alts used to do before dwelling on here 24/7 and more pertinently how did wherever he was before finally get rid of him. Suggestions on a postcard.

Strange how once quite appreciative of rafa, jib now belittles him in favour of bruce at every turn.

• Jib

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Ha ha ha
    Divvy

• Jib

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:01 PM

It would appear that as well as the blood and snots on several
    rugby pitches in Japan tomorrow morning.
    There’s going to be some of the same in Westminster tomorrow
    afternoon

• RobLeenio

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:02 PM

Weird that the club didn’t offer the Chelsea tickets for public sale. They went to the season ticket holders and those with loyalty points etc, but the next step would be an opportunity for anyone to buy them.

I imagine that this is how a large number of our away tickets are sold, especially in London, to NUFC fans living away from the North East who don’t have a season ticket and don’t travel up here for the home games. So, essentially NUFC are denying a large part of our regular London-based away contingent the opportunity to go to the match as they usually would.

Is this another sign that the anti-Ashley protests are starting to bite? Is he trying to limit their impact by limiting the size of the away support, who have been hugely vocal in the last couple of seasons, particularly?

I think the support that the away fans gave the lads against Leicester was nothing short of amazing, on a night when the team really didn’t deserve it. Of course, the point was that by supporting the lads, it focused the blame for the performance squarely on Ashley. Here’s a link to an article in the Independent highlighting just how outstanding that support was https://tinyurl.com/yxgzomyk

If you’re going tomorrow, I think you’re going to have to sing even louder than normal, just to prove that whatever underhand shenanigans he pulls, you’ll not be put off.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:04 PM

I have a very pleasant family of weasels living at the bottom of my garden and they have asked me to say the following.

‘Ve are greatly offended at being compared to certain members of Ed and Neils vonderful blog, vould you please cease and desist forthwith, thank you!’

Just passing the message on chaps!

• Jib

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:06 PM

RobLeenio
    Did it cross your mind they may all be sold ?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:11 PM

If Andy, Jamall, Sean and Mattie put on a show Saturday you never know we might have three Geordies and one honorary Geordie in the England squad.

• RobLeenio

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Jib, man – I’m not going to spend 10 minutes composing a post without checking out the truth behind it. Or, for that matter, letting Niall and Biffa do that for me

😉

From NUFC.com “Newcastle have returned an unspecified number of tickets, which went on sale to Chelsea fans/tourists.

For a reason yet to be specified, the Magpies didn’t place tickets on public sale for this game.”

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Jib

Perhaps Neil could do a win or lose poll for Boris.

• RobLeenio

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:19 PM

OP, I wonder if we can get BoJo to fall in the Tyne? Maybe without offering him a rope? Chuck Corbyn in after him and we’ll all be happier, IMO

Pleased you managed to rescue your dog (and yourself)

😉

#NUFC

• Jib

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:21 PM

RobLeenio
    In your original post you neglected to say some tickets had been returned

(Bad blogging)

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:21 PM

They didn’t get sold out, Robleenio it’s a way of punishing non ST holders.