This was the team for the 1-0 defeat at Chelsea, including the three second-half substitutions.
These are our individual player ratings for the match.
Martin Dubravka – 7
- Miscommunication with Lascelles in the first half led to a poor clearance that bounced off Tammy Abraham. Thankfully, the ball went wide and was easily cleared. Martin made a couple of key saves on Mason Mount in first half and Willian in the second. Both were straight at him but he did well as they were powerful shots. His superb save on Christian Pulisic in the second half was world-class. Martin was under threat for much of the second half. Chelsea had a flurry of corners but the 30-year-old handled his box well. He got a hand on Alonso’s shot but was unable to keep it from going in.
Deandre Yedlin – 5
- Yedlin did not do enough when in possession nor to prevent threats from his flank. He never got a handle Callum Hudson-Odoi who was outstanding for Chelsea. His recovery pace served him well on a few occasions. DeAndre had an amazing block on a seeming Tammy Abraham tap-in that looked a certain goal. Both wing-backs struggled to have an impact in the final third but Yedlin struggled a little more defensively than Willems did. Yedlin is just vulnerable in games like this one where his defensive liabilities can be exploited.
Fabian Schar – 6
- Fabian was excellent defensively but had an off day when he pushed forward. He had a few runs from the back but was very lax in possession. We needed to keep the ball but he tried some ill-advised long-range passes, none of which came off. Schar was stellar at the back, however, where he made some crucial blocks and interceptions.
Jamaal Lascelles – 6
- Lascelles was the leader of a well-organized backline who all put in excellent displays. He handled Tammy Abraham well when marking him. Jamaal made a lot of clearances as he anticipated the Chelsea threats very well.
Ciaran Clark – 7
- Clark put in another solid performance and has most likely done enough to keep his place. He had some key clearances and blocks. He is very savvy positionally and again worked well with Lascelles and Jetro Willems. He was beaten in the air on a couple of occasions by Tammy Abraham who failed to get either header on target. Though one hit the crossbar. Ciaran almost scored the equalizer from a Christian Atsu cross but his header just went over the bar. This is an element that Clark can bring to this team.
Jetro Willems – 5
- Jetro didn’t offer much going forward but was stuck in defensively. He worked well with Ciaran Clark and also with Allan Saint-Maximin on the left flank. Jetro looked to tire late in the game but you can’t knock his commitment. This type of match would have suited Matt Ritchie’s tenacious style more that Willems.
Matty Longstaff – 6
- Matty Longstaff ran all over the place but wasn’t quite at the level of his Premier League debut. He had a few loose passes and was dispossessed a few times too many. Though he worked very hard and covered a lot of ground. It was a tough ask for the nineteen-year-old and he did not look out of place patrolling the midfield at Stamford Bridge.
Sean Longstaff – 6
- Sean put in a committed performance overall. He started off very well with some key passes and looked really comfortable on the ball. He ran continuously all afternoon. His set-pieces were decent but not spectacular, except for a dangerous free kick in first-half stoppage time. It came to nothing and Joelinton was offside in any case but the delivery was outstanding. We need to see more of that from Sean. The game passed him by a bit in the second half as he had to relentlessly chase Chelsea who had taken full control by then.
Miguel Almiron – 6
- Almiron started very brightly with some excellent runs. He was dragged down by Fiyako Timori late in the first half as the young defender couldn’t handle his pace. He consistently found space when Newcastle got possession to serve as an outlet. It was a typical performance from the Paraguayan that ultimately produced little in the end. He had some very strong runs but was nowhere near getting a chance on goal. He’s still coming to grips with playing on the right-wing. Defenders seem to anticipate that he is going to cut inside to get his shot off. In a game like this where the wing-backs sit so deep, his lack of invention is hurting the attack. Allan Saint-Maximin can be direct like Almiron but he can also hold the ball up out wide to allow teammates to find space.
Allan Saint-Maximin – 7
- Allan started with a bang like against Manchester United with some powerful runs. At one point Mason Mount couldn’t handle him and tried to foul him but the Frenchman was too strong. He made some key passes to Joelinton but the Brazilian failed to make much of the chances.
Tracked back and made a key tackle on Willian early in the second half. The Frenchman faded as the game wore on but he had emptied his tank late in the second half. A committed performance from the 22-year-old but again not much in the final third.
Joelinton – 5
- Joelinton started off well. We thought he had some decent touches and linked well with Saint-Maximin and Almiron. However, he received the ball a couple of times just outside the box and heavy touches let him down. He again hardly had a chance on goal though he did get his head to a cross that he pushed wide. Joelinton grew in frustration in the second half as Chelsea controlled the match. He went down far too easily in the build-up to the goal.
Andy Carroll – 6
- There was not much Andy could do in this one. The effort was there but nothing came his way as Newcastle had so few opportunities in the Chelsea half.
Christian Atsu – n/a
- Christian came on too late to get a rating. Though he unleashed an excellent cross late that Ciaran Clark headed just over the bar.
Dwight Gayle – n/a
- Gayle was a late substitute and didn’t have a touch in the seven minutes he was on the field. But it was nice to see him back in the black and white stripes.
Who Was Newcastle's Best Player 1-0 Defeat At Chelsea?
- Martin Dubravka (33%, 388 )
- Allan Saint-Maximin (30%, 351 )
- Fabian Schar (8%, 98 )
- Ciaran Clark (8%, 97 )
- DeAndre Yedlin (4%, 48 )
- Matty Longstaff (4%, 45 )
- Jamaal Lascelles (3%, 35 )
- Miguel Almiron (3%, 30 )
- Sean Longstaff (2%, 29 )
- Dwight Gayle (2%, 23 )
- Jetro Willems (1%, 13 )
- Joelinton (1%, 11 )
- Andy Carroll (1%, 10 )
- Christian Atsu (0%, 3 )
Total Voters: 1,181