web analytics

Newcastle Nix Claims Made By Former Reading Man

Feyenoord manager Jaap Stam made some noteworthy claims on Monday in an interview with Dutch outlet Voetbal International.

The 47-year-old stated that he was approached by Newcastle shortly after he had agreed to become manager of Feyenoord last March.

The implications of this revelation are that Newcastle were preparing for life after Rafa Benitez a full four months before he officially parted ways with the club.

This is what the former Manchester United defender said to the Voetbal International:

“You have been informed because it is correct. Newcastle United contacted me a few days after I agreed to manage Feyenoord. So it was not an option right away.

“I am a man of my word. It was beautiful and honorable because the people in England apparently know what I stand for as a coach.”

This is quite a profound declaration. There were reports of managers being linked with Newcastle as early as April last year. We had a report out then about former AC Milan manager Gennaro Gattuso and ex-Lyon manager Bruno Genesio being linked.

We hadn’t heard anything of Jaap Stam being sounded out as Rafa’s successor. Newcastle are now nixing the claims made by the 47-year-old Dutchman.

According to the Chronicle sources at the club deny that Stam was ever contacted about being Newcastle’s head coach. They also claim that they never held any interest in him whatsoever.

It seems like an odd claim for Stam to make up. However, he would have also been a strange appointment to manage a club like Newcastle. We just have no idea what to believe on this one.

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2019 at 1:10 AM

Rob

Well said on Chi .. I’m of the same mind . She’s Gold for us.

All Newcastle fans should embrace her .

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2019 at 1:11 AM

Genjikia

Hope you alerted the Fire Chief ..every little helps ..keep chipping away.

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2019 at 1:14 AM

Blogs been a bit slow Neil ..Ashleys lack of ambition shows up in all kinds of ways ..He has a detrimental effect on all he’s involved in when it comes to Football.

He’s like King Midas in reverse!

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2019 at 1:17 AM

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2019 at 1:28 AM

Oh Well.

• Unused Substitute

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:33 AM

Why don’t we try the 4-3-3 against Wolves; especially since we are at home? That will take care of the 3-man wing play Wolves often rely on. Also, I’d try Saint Maximin on the right with Yedlin at his back and Almiron on the left with Dummet behind. Let’s also use Muto instead of Joelinton; he almost scored against Leicester before things started to crumble.

• lesh

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:41 AM

Online Guy

Loved the CSNY clip – an inspired choice.

Here’s a little something from a couple of friends of theirs – Jackson Browne and David Lindley doing a Zeavon song. Lindley’s doing the animal impressions but they’re both err, shall we say, errr relaxed!

I forget what inspired me to pick this track….… there’s something about Halloween or was it October 31? Was something supposed to be happening then? 🙂

• Lindisfarne

Oct 23, 2019 at 5:55 AM

What is “nix” and “nixing”?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:01 AM

Lindisfarne,
    I would imagine it means rubbishing the claims, dissing them, brushing them off.
    So they get their mouthpiece the Chronicle to deny it rather than make a statement which can be challenged themselves. Liars and crooks.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:24 AM

I just thought it was a way of getting around the “you have duplicated your article”!!!

• Mag52

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:37 AM

Jaap Stam’s word or Ashley/charnley’s, wow that’s a tough one !

• martoon

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:47 AM

Probably because I’m old school but that is a brilliant letter by Chi but then let down by signing it ‘Best Regards Chi’ – I was always taught a business type letter should be signed Yours Sincerely and then full name and title. ‘Best Regards Chi’ sounds like she’s writing to her mate!

• Jib

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:59 AM

Martoon it’s because it’s addressed to Kath Lawless in the planning dept. who
    she knows well (a future labour candidate ).

Anyone who hasn’t sent an objection in yet or who wants to email another
    use this – kath.lawless@newcastle.gov.uk

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:00 AM

martoon,
    I think that is a perfect example of how languages evolve, you very rarely see yours sincerely and most definitely wouldn’t sign off an e mail to a friend yours faithfully. We are betwixt a time when both ways to finish off a letter will he completely replaced with either regards, best regards or kind regards depending on the tone of the letter( e mail) and to who.

• Jib

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:02 AM

As OLG has hinted at before
    The objectors have many supporters in the Civic Centre , however they have
    to keep a low profile and seem to be impartial.

• Ron Knee

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:02 AM

It used to be in a friendly, formal letter:

Best Wishes

Yours sincerely

Name

• Jib

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:03 AM

seem = appear

• Jib

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:05 AM

I always sign my letters

“How’s yer arse fer lovebites ?”

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:05 AM

Jibbers,
    Referring to what martoon says she should have used your faithfully which was the point he was making.

• Ron Knee

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:08 AM

Dear Sir – Yours faithfully

Dear Name – Yours sincerely

• Jib

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:12 AM

Ron
    That’s to strangers
    To an acquaintance “best regards” is the norm these days
    You have been in France too long

• Ron Knee

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:18 AM

Jib

My point was you can’t have: Dear Name – Yours faithfully.

• martoon

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:18 AM

Jib but she started the letter Dear Ms Lawless, if she had started Dear Kath then fair enough. As I say I’m old school and people seem to put Best Regards for most letters now.

• Jib

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Definitely a “slow news day”
    today

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:23 AM

Aye Ron that’s the one, Jibbers, that’s exactly the point martoon was making and what I pointed out about language evolving. I can’t even remember if regards was ever even used in paper letter writing, I’m sure Ron will be able to let us know before you can google it pretending to know.

• Ron Knee

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:34 AM

Jail

I’m guessing Best Regards only reared its ugly head with the arrival of emails. Perhaps it’s American in origin. Ditto the foul “sincerely yours”!

• hibbit

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:35 AM

either way it’s a very good letter that surely cant be ignored.

• Jib

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:36 AM

Mental image of Jail whiling away the lonely hours on the rigs
    writing letters to the “Over 50s Lonely Hearts Club”

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:37 AM

hibbit,
    It’s great news that she is so onboard, not sure how extending the Metro westward can be used as well as the stadium expansion though?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:38 AM

I’m not on the rig Jibbers, the beauty of the job is that we get two weeks off as well.

• Jib

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:38 AM

Yours sincerely
    Sand-dancing and Single South Shields

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:46 AM

Oh to be single again 🙄

• The next Mike Williamson

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:49 AM

Maybe after Wolves we will have some sort of clue as to what Bruce’s plan is against the lesser 13 teams. So far we have got nearly all our points off under performing big teams and we can see the plan is “as before lads” as most of us suggested he should do. I can’t see our front 3 gelling as they’re all dribbler types and not known for clever link up play. I’d probably start Carrol upfront and move Joelinton to the wing in place of Almiron who I think needs a rest and can be used as an impact player. But I have a feeling Bruce will start playing Gayle as he’s a proven 6-7 goal striker. I think Carrol will also force his way into the team as he can score 5 quite easily if he stays fit. I think the scouts/ board/ manager are panicking now they’ve realised we have no goalscorers and I suspect they’ll bring in a few with goals on their CV. Mitrovic & Bowen would be great right now.

• The next Mike Williamson

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:52 AM

The most damning indictment against Bruce/ the regime is not one person has even bothered to say ‘I told you so’ because it was all so obvious to all but a few.

• RobLeenio

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:57 AM

Is Mitro really the answer? With two relegations on his CV, I would suggest he’s not one for digging in against adversity.

I think we need a battler. Danny Ings would have been perfect for us, despite the misgivings of many on here.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:01 AM

The next Mike Williamson,
    Wolves seemed to do better last year against the big teams who had a go at them, they seemed to struggle against teams who sat back inviting them on, if we’re going to adopt our formation that has brought us so much “success” this season then Sunday could be a real footballing feast, I’ll be listening on the wireless driving back from London, it should put the kids to sleep anyway.

• martoon

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:08 AM

hibbit @28 – Yeah it is a great letter and I didn’t intend to denigrate it – just one of those things that irks me. I also had no idea I would start blog signature gate. :mrgreen:

• The next Mike Williamson

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:17 AM

If Yedlin-Krath-Manquillo, and Willems-Dummet-Ritchie were morphed into two players we would have premier league standard fullbacks. It’s tragic we have 6 in this position and realistically we should be looking to bring in 2 fullbacks. Joe Bryan should still be bought!

• martoon

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:27 AM

The next Mike Williamson @39 – I’m just trying to think what you would call your morphs:
    Maybe Mankray and Widrum 😀