web analytics

Our Player Ratings For The 1-1 Draw Against Wolves

This was the team for the 1-1 draw against Wolves, including the three second-half substitutions.

Here are our individual player ratings for the match.

Martin Dubravka – 5

• Dubravka did not have much to do in the first half as Wolves barely threatened. In the second half it was a different story, but the visitors still didn’t force the 30-year-old into too many saves. It was a poor decision to make a play on Matt Doherty’s cross in the 72nd minute that allowed Wolves to level the game. He flapped at the ball and guided it right into a danger area. Jonny was there to slot it away. Other than that one moment, Martin put in a solid display.

Deandre Yedlin – 6

• Yedlin’s defensive frailties were again on display at times. He was beaten on occasion down his flank. However, his pace is a crucial element to the attack as he’s always willing to get forward. DeAndre managed a few good crosses. Should have won a corner late that was wrongly ruled a goal kick. The subsequent passage of play led to Sean Longstaff’s sending off. Yedlin also was in a perfect position on the Wolves’ goal to handle Doherty’s cross if Dubravka would have left it.

Fede Fernandez – 7

• Fernandez came in from the cold and put in a solid performance. He did his defensive work like a professional. His cross for the goal was excellent and very timely. Fernandez never lets this club down.

Jamaal Lascelles – 7

• Lascelles had an excellent game. His towering header hearkened back to a few years ago. His defensive work again was outstanding as he did a good job keeping Raul Jimenez quiet. Jamaal displayed his leadership abilities all game long and one of the best players yesterday.

Ciaran Clark – 6

• Another solid display from the 30-year-old. Though he had some trouble with Traore and Doherty on the left flank, but was not helped by Jetro Willems who struggled to keep up in the second half. Clark is prone to the rash challenge at times, and that was again the case as he was cautioned early in the second half. However, Clark put in another professional performance and has been an asset since returning to the team.

Jetro Willems – 5

• Jetro had a lot of trouble with Adama Traore and Matt Doherty who ran him ragged. He also failed to do much going forward until a late right-footed strike went just wide. He also got on the end of a cross late in the game but his header was straight at Patricio. With all that being said, Jetro actually had a decent game statistically. He had the most tackles of anyone on the pitch with six and won thirteen duels. The issue was that he was under constant pressure and needed some more help from Allan Saint-Maximin.

Matty Longstaff – 6

• This ended up being a tough outing for the 19-year-old, especially in the second half. In the first half, Matty had some deft touches and launched a superb ball that found a breaking Miguel Almiron. The second half proved too much for the youngster as the team mentality left him vulnerable to the Wolves’ swarm. He’s still learning his craft and games like this will ultimately help his growth as a player.

Sean Longstaff – 6

• Sean had a pretty decent game until his sending off. He worked his socks off and had a few threatening set-piece deliveries. The 22-year-old was very involved in the midfield and had quite a few touches and passes. Sean and his brother Matty did not do enough to stem the Wolves’ tide in the second half. It was a reckless challenge that will likely see him miss the next few games. We think the sending off was harsh but Sean was not in control and left himself at the mercy of the referee.

Miguel Almiron – 6

• It’s the same old story for Almiron. His pace and direct attacks were outstanding. However, his lack of composure in the final third does not seem to be improving. He flubbed a chance early in the game when Joelinton headed a ball back across goal that found Miguel. Matty Longstaff sent him clear but a heavy first touch let him down and his subsequent effort hit the side netting. He also had a horrendous pass on a break in which he had three teammates breaking with him. He just gifted possession back to Wolves. However, Almiron was absolutely outstanding in fulfilling his defensive duties. He helped DeAndre Yedlin all game long and had a couple crucial interceptions.

Allan Saint-Maximin – 6

• Saint-Maximin was again our main threat going forward and created some chances with his runs. However, it again all came to nothing. He was basically our only threat in the second half until a few late Willems chances. Saint-Maximin did not do enough defensively to help Willems with Adama Traore and Matt Doherty.

Joelinton – 5

• Joelinton started well with his hold-up play but it was ultimately another day of frustration for the Brazilian. He won a couple of headers in the box but they failed to threaten Rui Patricio. His defensive work was top notch as he won a fair few aerial duels. However, he does not look like much of a scoring threat and as a number 9 that is a massive problem. His touch on the Longstaff red card was poor but it was a tough ball to handle that came his way.

Subs

Jonjo Shelvey – n/a

• Not enough time on the pitch to get a rating though Jonjo came on in tough circumstances and put in the effort. This has been a very frustrating season for Jonjo.

Christian Atsu – n/a

• Not enough time on the pitch to get a rating.

Dwight Gayle – n/a

• Not enough time on the pitch to get a rating.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Wolves?

• Allan Saint-Maximin (35%, 345 )
  • Federico Fernandez (17%, 165 )
  • Miguel Almiron (16%, 155 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (15%, 149 )
  • Ciaran Clark (5%, 47 )
  • Jetro Willems (4%, 43 )
  • Matty Longstaff (2%, 22 )
  • Sean Longstaff (2%, 17 )
  • Dwight Gayle (1%, 13 )
  • DeAndre Yedlin (1%, 12 )
  • Martin Dubravka (1%, 12 )
  • Jonjo Shelvey (1%, 9 )
  • Joelinton (1%, 6 )
  • Christian Atsu (0%, 1 )

Total Voters: 996

Loading ... Loading ...

• IrishRob

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:46 PM

Honestly I think we need to come up with a chant for Miggy for when he misses an opportunity.

Something like,Miggy we love u even if you never score. I honestly think if he heard a positive chant when he misses it would take the pressure off him.

• G

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:50 PM

I feel a 5 for Joelinton is a bit on the generous side. He looked absolutely lost for most of the game yesterday. I know he isn’t getting any service, but he rarely gets himself in a position to get any service either. This man just is not a striker. I would rather give him a chance out wide, and give Dwight Gayle another go in the middle, or even Muto. Put ASM behind him, with Miggy and Joelinton in the wide positions, and hopefully we might have a bit of a link between the midfield and forward line.

• martoon

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:51 PM

Neil – looks like you and ‘The Wife’ have different views on Dubravka – I see a domestic brewing 😀

• martoon

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:55 PM

IrishRob @1 – what about:
    “Oh Miggy, you’re so fine
    You’re so fine you blow my mind.
    Hey Miggy, Hey Miggy.”

(I’m sure I’ve heard that somewhere before?) :mrgreen:

• posada

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Watched the game from a good side on view.

For much of the second half we dropped into a flat line of 5 at the back.
    Not a back 3. Seriously a flat line of 5.

We did not, with the wing backs at least, follow their players deeper and mark them. Consequently for me Wolves were able to play the ball about at will in front of that back 5.

Almiron and ASM were making so many covering runs they were knackered. The Longstaffs were over run in the midfield and just as knackered.
    Perhaps this is exaggerating a tad.

However, it feels like we were playing 7/2/1.
    We conceded possession totally.

• G

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:07 PM

A lot of people have been giving Dubravka a lot of grief. I wasn’t very happy about his mistake, however, I’m not going to condemn him for it either. I’ve seen a lot of top level keepers make far worse mistakes than that. He is the best keeper we have. People calling for Woodman to get in the squad clearly haven’t seen enough of him playing, the kid is still learning his craft. For me, Dubravka is still the fist name on the team sheet.

• Nufc-83

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:17 PM

Dubs was pretty much flawless for a season and a half earning rave reviews and links with top clubs. He is now making huge mistakes on a regular basis so I have no idea how to rate him overall at the moment (just low on confidence I hope).

Joel was very isolated again and I feel sorry for him as clearly there’s a good player in there. I don’t get it when people say he’s not strong or can’t hold the ball up as he does that game in game out however there is literally nobody within 20 yds of him at times and he has 2 or 3 opponents surrounding him. I wanted him off yesterday as he looked frustrated and wasn’t playing well. For me it’s clear if Bruce wants to play this way then he drops Joelinton as I would rather Gayle running the channels as at least he has more natural instinct. Joel would look great with Gayle alongside him so I would go to a two up top.

Bruce is completely Clueless and is the main cause of what we see week in week out. He is just trying to copy Rafa at the moment but has no clue how to play defensively but threaten when going forward.

Willems I thought done well yesterday and had the thankless task of marking traore who is a beast.

Yedlin was solid enough for me as well and they couldn’t get much from that left side of theirs.

I think we need to drop Matty and play Hayden and Ki next game.

If Bruce doesn’t get us further up the pitch I am going to go crazy!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:18 PM

Lindisfarne

Re. your Garibaldi crack earlier, fraid subtle humour don’t work on here. 🙂

• Jib

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:20 PM

For me the first name on the team sheet is
    Team Valley Printers

• Lindisfarne

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:30 PM

cyprus

From earlier

A good coach will make a team greater than the sum of their parts. However the entire blame is on the owner.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:31 PM

Essex

Biscuit humour is very niche

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:32 PM

For my twopenorth re. Sunday, I thought we had a good enough team out and they played well enough in the 1st half but the second half had me baffled, the same team looked lost.

It’s already been pointed out on here over a million times, with no exaggeration, where changes obviously needed to be made in the 2nd half so I won’t repeat them and the blame for that can only be blamed on one person, don’t need to name him!

Even with the plethora of injuries I believe we have a good enough squad to do better but not under the present manager.

Can’t see it changing anytime soon, there seems to be a momentum building up for the relegation that’s looking more and more inevitable, pessimism just isn’t my thing, but!!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:37 PM

And for his brief cameo I thought Jonjo had a good game, nearly put Gayle in with a Hollywood pass that could have won the game and he did his share of defensive duties, deserves a start imo!

• Jib

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:38 PM

Unfortunately for the “Bruce Out” squad
    there would appear to be 3 teams worse than us.

• Nufc-83

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:40 PM

Would go with ki ahead of Jonjo unless we play 3 in Cm.

• G

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:41 PM

EGB agreed. I think yesterday just wasn’t Shaun and Matty’s day I think, however, letting them know that they’re not un-drop-able might just give them pause for thought. I can see bright futures for both of them, however, their inexperience was plain for all to see yesterday.

• JohnReese

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:42 PM

I would be inclined to put Shelvey back in now that S.Longstaff is suspended. The problem with that Arsenal game was the two of them wanting to take up similar positions on the pitch and just getting in each other’s way.

We’ve also seen it before with Shelvey that he can, when he gets his chance after being out of the team for a time, come in and make a bigger impact. Frankly we have absolutely no link between attack and defence without him. You can’t count on Almiron or ASM beating 3 players and playing someone in constantly. You might get once or twice a game but we need someone who can play a pass.

So long as he plays 5-10 yards further forward he can impact the attacking phase and have M.Longstaff/Hayden cover his defensive frailties.

• G

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:42 PM

Jib @ 14. I can only name 2?

• Rob1971

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:50 PM

Who are going to be the 3 Jib? for me Norwich look likely but they definitely have more goals in them than we do, not sure why but I still think Watford could stay up they have the likes of Deeney coming back from injury, start of the season i had Sheff Utd, Norwich and Brighton to go down, Sheff Utd are doing far better than everyone predicted

• Jib

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:50 PM

Which 2 ?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:52 PM

Jib
    I don’t really care about other teams, whether they’re worse than us or not, I want us to be a lot better than we are and I am now being rapidly convinced in my own mind that Mr Bruce is not the man to be able to do this.

I certainly don’t think he has the respect of the dressing room, despite what some players might be saying.

Please, please let him prove me and the other doubters wrong with some good results, but I don’t see it happening.

• Rob1971

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:57 PM

G I am struggling, Norwich still have goals in them (rely heavily on Pukki though), Watford are 4 points behind us they are not cast adrift, we got hammered of Norwich and failed to beat both Brighton and Watford (played awful in all 3), how many on the blog are confident we will get anything away to the hammers this weekend? a lot of fans have been making noises about the fact we have more points now than we did last season, we won our 11,12 & 13th games last season I don’t have confidence that this will happen under Bruce.

• Assassins Inc

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Sick of this, we look good then look shite football.

Bruce once again goes to prove he didn’t know what to do yesterday, didn’t make subs early enough, isolates one man up front, prays to god that Max and Miggy get a wonder goal to get them rolling, utter clueless management and dark ages thinking that relegated most of his teams.

I wish he would try 4-1-3-2, the two Forwards have Joe playing just behind a fast player thats more mobile, like Gayle or Max.

Until Ashley realizes his mistake and can grow a pair we are relegation bound, sorry Bruce but you just don’t seem to have a clue.

• G

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Watford & Norwich I would have said. Although, technically you could argue Spurs and Manyoo are the 2, given the average number of points we have taken from all 4 sides.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:01 PM

And depending on three other teams being worse than us at the end of the season is a stupid hope.

It was only a couple of seasons back when Leicester looked doomed, look what happened next.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:08 PM

Unfortunately for the pair of ” bruce in ” people the ”last season start” will soon be invalid as rafa won every game in november.

• Jib

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:14 PM

I was thinking Southampton must be rocked by Friday’s result
    Their next 2 games are Man City away twice , tomorrow in the
    Carabao Cup and Saturday in the League
    not ideal recovery fixtures.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Very harsh on Willems, to give him a 5.

John Reese

What do you think the Longstaff’s have been doing? Both have provided Shelvey-esque passes for Almiron to go through 1 vs 1 in the last two games and he missed them both.

I agree Matty needs to come back out of the team though, so yes, Shelvey Hayden it’ll be next weekend. With Shelvey back in the team I think Bruce may go for Gayle too. He’s obviously eager to give him a start going by his comments.

• Jib

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:19 PM

I do like the suggestion of a 4 – 2 – 3 – 1

• Genjikai

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:20 PM

Good article from yesterday.
    One mans protest does not go unnoticed.

You can be that thorn in ashleys side.
    contact@magpiegroup.org
    Get in touch.

• hibbit

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:21 PM

hail
    who will Bruce drop to bring Gayle in ???

• martoon

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:22 PM

I was in the ‘give Bruce a chance’ camp but after yesterday he has used up a lot of his lives. I’m hoping he just had a bad day at the office but I my doubts ………………..

• martoon

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:22 PM

*have my doubts …………

• Assassins Inc

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:25 PM

Wouldn’t it be just one of those things that Gayle comes into the team and just starts banging them in for fun, of Pep can leave a player worth 100 Mill on the bench then Steve must be prepared to leave 30-40 mill on the bench.

If I were Bruce I would try Gayle and Max up front, let Joe sit out he must be tired, if it goes wrong he can blame me.

• Bladey

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:29 PM

So JIBBERISH
    Nobody should be call8ng for the head of dinasaur Bruce because you think there are 3 teams worse than us
    Ok let’s play for 17th every season you pleb
    You like the other zombie old pensioners on here are devoid of a football brain
    You accept year after year of mediocrity as long as you can swig your lager and scoff on a Greggs
    Get out of the club you ASH kiss arse
    ASH IN WISE OR CARVER IN MUGS OUT

• Jib

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:36 PM

Bladey
    I know
    I’m sorry
    I can only apologise

• MagpieRanger

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:41 PM

Good result for your lot at the weekend Bladey old pal! On your way to a 3rd season in Leauge One by the looks of things.

DONALD IN, PARKINSON IN

• MagpieRanger

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:42 PM

I love seeing the mackems getting beat so much, just a friendly reminder that it would take us a whole 2 seasons at the very worst to be as shite as them lot. Pahahahahha

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:43 PM

Braaaaiiiinnns!

• martoon

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:55 PM

You can always rely on Bladey to raise the tone and it’s a Milligan’s Pasty if you don’t mind 😉