The Chronicle completed their Q&A on Wednesday, and it was Lee Ryder answering the questions this week.
As it always does, one of the questions that came up was about what type of business we could expect from Newcastle in the January transfer window.
The two names mentioned in the question were Strasbourg midfielder Ibrahima Sissoko and Hull City winger/forward Jarrod Bowen.
Ryder started off by saying that Newcastle have watched Sissoko a few times this season, but that is the extent of it. On Tuesday, it had been reported that Newcastle were in discussions for the 6’4″ defensive midfielder.
The other player mentioned was Jarrod Bowen, who started as a striker at the weekend and scored a brace. Ryder said something in his answer that we had not heard before. This was Lee’s response about the latest information on Jarrod Bowen:
Hull had an open line of negotiations with Newcastle on Bowen but couldn’t agree the price the Tigers wanted.
Bruce – who had worked with him at Hull – did not agree with the huge fee.
His contract ends this summer but he’s got the option of a further year which complicates things again.
The reports during the summer said that Newcastle were put off by the £20m price tag Hull had set for their 22-year-old star. However, we had not heard that it was Steve Bruce who balked at the fee.
Steve Bruce was at Hull City when Jarrod Bowen joined on a free transfer from Hereford in 2014. However, Bruce was long gone by the time Jarrod broke into the Hull first team in the 2017-18 season.
Bowen has also been offered a new three year deal by Hull City. It is not guaranteed that he is going to sign it though as he wants to play in the Premier League.
The forward has proven that he is a level above the Championship with his 46 goals and 10 assists in just over two seasons. That production is while mainly being used as a right-winger.
We hope Newcastle revisit a move for Bowen in January as we think he’ll be an astute winter addition.