web analytics

Steve Bruce Tells Fringe Player To Seize His Chance If It Comes

Karl Darlow turned 29 earlier this month and has made just two league cup appearances for Newcastle over the past two seasons. His last start in the league was a 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace in February 2018.

The next match was Martin Dubravka’s debut for Newcastle in the 1-0 win against Manchester United. Martin has gone to start 60 straight Premier League matches for Newcastle.

The 30-year-old Slovakian also signed a new 6-year contract theoretically keeping him on Tyneside for some time to come.

Darlow, on the other hand, will see his current contract expire this summer if he doesn’t get a new deal. While Karl seems very happy at the club, he is unlikely to unseat Dubravka as Newcastle’s number 1.

Though, Steve Bruce doesn’t see it the same way. He would like to see Darlow stay at Newcastle and seize any opportunity that may come his way.

The Chronicle have published some comments made by the head coach about his back-up keeper:

“I’d like Karl to stay too. It is vitally important that we have that competition.

“I don’t go with ‘He is number 1 and he’s number 2’. If and when he gets his chance Karl will be fine.

“Look at Ciaran Clark he wasn’t even in the squad the week before he got his chance against Man United. It’s a squad game.

“Yes, the goalkeeper situation is always different, but I think Martin has had a very good time since he arrived at the club and we’re delighted to tie him down.”

It’s a tricky situation for Karl to be in. He’s not featured much and while it’s all well and good to wait for his chance, it’s a chance that may never come.

Darlow is in his prime years and we would assume would like to get on the pitch. However, he is only likely to do that consistently if he moved on to another club.

With Freddie Woodman hopefully in line to get a new deal as well, Darlow would likely be third in the pecking order on Tyneside if he were to stay.

While all clubs should have three dependable goalkeepers in the squad, it’s going to largely depend on how Karl feels about primarily being seen as cover.

We would welcome Darlow staying beyond this season but also understand that may not be in the best interest of his career.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player For The Month Of October?

• Allan Saint-Maximin (42%, 277 )
  • Fabian Schar (34%, 223 )
  • Ciaran Clark (11%, 70 )
  • Matty Longstaff (10%, 67 )
  • Martin Dubravka (3%, 18 )

Total Voters: 655

Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Bill son I see you realise like me (it took me ages not to bite)
    that if you don’t trade insults with the usual suspects and just
    make your point it infuriates them.

• Ron Knee

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:22 PM

Strange but true:

“If you missed this, affable Real Madrid malcontent Gareth Bale gave an interview to the Daily Telegraph this week, in which he revealed: “I don’t even know who the prime minister is any more. I haven’t got a clue.” It was at this point that the interviewer informed him that it was Boris Johnson.” (Grauniad)

• Jib

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:29 PM

The interviewer informed him that it was Boris Johnson

That should make his mind up to see out his contract in Spain

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:38 PM

If Darlow is happy to be backup keeper for a few more seasons on a reasonable wage then fair enough hes rarely injured and while not the best keeper in the world hes decent !

Is Elliot still with us? Or is he injured?

• Jib

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Rob Elliot has a squad number is fit and has a contract until June next
    year.

• RobLeenio

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:51 PM

Bill’s son, once again I try to engage you in serious debate and you respond with an insult. I write with the intelligence I have to command, for you to question that makes you the pompous one, not me.

Until you can join a serious debate without resorting to petty name calling I shall, sadly, continue to treat your comments and opinions with the contempt they deserve.

• hibbit

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:58 PM

Bills Son Is Back

were’s the truth and facts in any of your last 6 posts,
    there all based on rumor and hearsay that you’ve chosen to believe. not one truth or fact among any of them , yet you blindly quote them as gospel,
    your total ignorant to whats going on around you, with your pig headed head in the sand i’m right and everyone else is wrong attitude,

• Bills Son Is Back

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:59 PM

Robleenio – your pomposity gets in the way of normal intelligent thinking or debate.

I couldn’t care less about your contempt.

Just ignore my posts and we’ll both be happy.

• RobLeenio

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:03 PM

Bill’s, why should I ignore your posts? If you’re taking nonsense, I’ll point it out. Sadly, delusion and falsehood appear all to often in your ramblings.

I’d suggest you seek help, but I imagine that ship has sailed long since.

• Bills Son Is Back

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Robleenio,

I’d stick to stopping talking nonsense and falsehoods yourself before you act as a policeman of others.

But then…

Correcting others when you are in the wrong is a typical trait of the pompous and arrogant.

What a surprise that it is a trait of yours.

• Bills Son Is Back

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:17 PM

hibbit – Bills Son Is Back, were’s the truth and facts in any of your last 6 posts,

AND WHERE IS THE TRUTH IN ANY OF THE RUMOURS YOU DECIDE TO BELIEVE?

So, I’m pigheaded because I believe the conclusions I draw from the information available.

But your not pig headed because you come to a different conclusion??

That in a nutshell sums this blog up.

Agree with the majority and you are a cool customer.

Disagree and you are pig headed.

Stalin practiced that philosophy.

• Unused Substitute

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:17 PM

Jib@20(previous): the earliest indication of Perez’s becoming unsettled I recall was in mid-March. That Rafa *will* leave started making rounds way back in Jan. Logic would therefore dictate Perez got unsettled because of Rafa’s likelihood of leaving. Rondon wouldn’t have left for China either if Rafa were to contine at Newcastle or if here to get an offer from NUFC ownership. That only leaves big Mo, who left since he didn’t get a 2-year deal. The entire edifice so to speak collapsed – including Rafa and a bunch of players leaving along with a good many die hard fans – because of a patent lack of ambition on the part of the ownership regardless of your preposterous arguments and innuendos.

• Oldgit1

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Can anyone tell me how our Rafa is doing in China, just curious.

• RobLeenio

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:28 PM

Bill’s I’m not sure I’ve been called out for being incorrect on any counts today, other than by yourself with these opinions you label facts.

I’ve certainly never been called arrogant or pompous by anyone else on here, as I try to treat all the same and take everyone at face value – it is, after all, an anonymous blog and I have no idea who I’m speaking with.

So continue to label me as much as you wish. I’ll continue to ignore that, whilst hoping that one day you’ll choose to engage in debate rather than your frankly childish name calling.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:30 PM

News that NUFC are tracking the new ‘Obafemi Martins’ should we be jumping for joy at that?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:32 PM

Happy birthday Sean Longstaff, 22 today!

• hibbit

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:36 PM

Bills Son Is Back

and so did Chairman Mao with his little red book,

no one else can have an opinion it has to be your thoughts and your thoughts only doesn’t matter if its not true or a rumor if you believe it it has to be right ,
    no one else’s opinions can be considered it has to be your way or you spit your dummy out and have a tantrum, !!!!!!!!!!!

• Online Guy

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:01 PM

Bills son is back

Both my statements on BZG and the Mansours are wrong you say ?

Did you miss the court case over the £3 million pound that Ashley sued Jimenez for ?

Over the bible and under oath in a high court of law Jimenez stated that the Mansours were in negotiations with Ashley to buy Newcastle United , under oath ! ..tell me Im wrong now !

Also don’t deny this fact I put in front of you as money would have been no object.

What happened during and after that was Jimenez asked the Dubai courts and legal system to open Criminal proceedings against Ashley for Ashley using, allegedly, insulting language of a racial nature about Arabic businessman seeking to buy Newcastle United (public domain now)

Then there’s BZG Bill son that both Rob and Hibbit and A.N.other have explained to you.

I watched on and seen Ashleys lips move when he said ” What’s (another) £10 million to an Arab Sheikh Prince wassisname? He’s got all these fantastic billions ..paraphrasing a tad but words to that effect.

Your in denial Bill ..and both statements from me are correct. Not as you say .

Why you defending the moronic owner ? The world can see he’s not fit to own a football club and yet you defend him day in day out .

Something not right .

Get bloody real man.

• Jib

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:07 PM

Oh to be 22 , and know what I know now !!!!!

• Jib

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:12 PM

The Telegraph
    “Jimenez’s evidence is that he did a lot of work on the Newcastle United Football Club sale and became increasingly concerned by Mr Ashley, who refused to meet a potential buyer – who went on to purchase Manchester City Football Club,”

He never even met the buyer OLG

• Jib

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:14 PM

“He lined up some further potential buyers and Ashley then visited Dubai between 13 and 18 September 2008 in order to meet them.”
    “Jimenez says that on the evening of 16 September 2008, Ashley created a disturbance in a bar in Dubai.
    “Although Jimenez helped Ashley minimise the impact of the trouble, it again ruined the potential sale of Newcastle United Football Club that Mr Jimenez had lined up.”

• Mister Tuff

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:16 PM

What do you know now Jib ?

Certainly you do not have an in depth knowledge of football or businesses. Plus a multitude of other topics you have broached with the inevitable gaffe.

Stick to rugby.

• RobLeenio

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:30 PM

Is jib hoping to be Toon22?

😉

• Jib

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Never thought of that !!!!

Oh to be 22 years old , and know what I know now !!!!!

• toon22

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:37 PM

Hiya JIB

Backing Bills bollix

The usual shoddy PR

😉

• Jib

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:39 PM

toon22
    Posting an account of the trial from The Telegraph
    is PR bollix ?

What a strange wee creature you are

• Online Guy

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Jib

The definite interest from the Mansours was there..whichever way one looks at it ..Ashley in effect said No and had no intention of selling when he messed it up and allegedly used those words towards serious buyers with serious money ..

• Jib

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:55 PM

Online Guy
    The definite interest from the Mansours was there..

We know that…………………………………………….
    but the thrust of the argument was that an offer was made which is
    patently wrong

• Online Guy

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Bills son is back

BZG were real. Ashley talks of another £10 million ..so there has to be a back story behind that statement to get to that point and conclusion from him One can safely conclude that BZG were serious buyers.

• Online Guy

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:05 PM

Jib

I don’t think the Mansours would have had a problem meeting Ashleys asking price, they are worth about £465 billion !

Anyway it’s gone now and Ash has us scraping around the prem ..ticking over with no hope or thought of progress, a ground with an atmosphere like a morgue, occupied by tourist, students, and non supporters with free tickets with no heart in it . Even the Wolves supporters were embarrassed for us.

We’re the talk of the bagwash.

• Online Guy

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Lesh

You are on form today with superb posts at 1:32 # 19. / 1:40 # 22. / 1:44 # 24.

Good read.

• Online Guy

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:25 PM

Song for Ash

The minute you walked in the joint, I could see you were a fat Cockney b’star, a real mean spender

Ugly bugger, fat defined , say wouldn’t you like to go down for a swim in the Tyne .

Sorry ..! Don’t know what come over me .