web analytics

Bruce Well Aware Of Mercurial Winger

Newcastle Under-23 winger Victor Fernandez is still working his way back to full fitness from an injury-plagued season last year. He has shown flashes of quality for the Under-23s since he joined in February of 2017.

He has yet to put it all together in a Newcastle career that has been thwarted by injuries. Though he has put in some outstanding performances for the Under-23s this year.

Speaking after the win over rivals Sunderland, manager Neil Redfearn had nothing but praise for the young Spaniard:

“He was mercurial. In the first half, he was unplayable, it was like tackling smoke.

“They couldn’t get near him. It was a great run for the penalty and he was always going to bring him down, then he took his goal well.”

Victor is now 21-years-old and should be pushing for a first-team place at his age. Fernandez, though, is still a bit away from making a breakthrough into the senior side.

However, Steve Bruce is well aware of the explosive winger. Speaking in the Chronicle, Bruce was asked if he was monitoring the progress of Victor:

“Yeah. But there’s two or three that you always keep an eye on. When we get them up occasionally you take a look.

“We are getting towards a full squad now so it will be difficult. But as we have proved with the Longstaffs it can only be a good thing.”

If Fernandez can get some more U-23 matches under his belt, it may be best to look for a loan move in January for the youngster. He’ll need to get some first-team football at the senior level to continue his development.

Victor has the skill to become a quality player for Newcastle; however, he needs to prove that he can take the physicality of the English game. Getting half a season in League One or Two under his belt could be the right test for him.

How Will Newcastle Do At West Ham On Saturday?

• Lose (44%, 511 )
  • Win (33%, 378 )
  • Draw (23%, 267 )

Total Voters: 1,156

Loading ... Loading ...

• jane

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:40 PM

Tom Allen could be the one to break into the first team, he’s got 4 goals in 7 appearances this season for the U23s.

• jane

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:40 PM

Tom Allan

• jane

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:42 PM

i object a little to saying we park the bus, we play a counter-attacking style.

• jane

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:54 PM

WATCH TYSON FURY’S SENSATIONAL WWE RING WALK IN SAUDI ARABIA, WEARING THE LOCAL SAUDI ATTIRE

• Online Guy

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:09 PM

Lesh.

I don’t do politics if I can keep clear of it all but have a question

Has Jeremy Corbyn derailed Brexit and if so therefore direspected a nation of peoples democratic vote ?

If that is the case then he denies democracy and what he puports to stand for as a politician.

I could be wrong but if we stay in Europe because of all the tactical manouvering then it’s possible that Turkey will open up the borders to Iran , Iraq , and Syria and give them European status and passports and flood UK and Europe with refugees .

We are bursting at the seams now ..we don’t have the infrastructure to take anymore .

NHS under serious pressure . Education, Schools , roads, housing , we are but a tiny island .

Iv always voted Labour but I’m interested in what you have to say as I’m taking in opinion from a cross section and feel that this next election is crucial for our children and our Nation going on .

At the moment I’m not happy with Corbyn derailing a democrative vote by the people of this country if that is the case .

At the moment I’m looking on wondering what Farage has to say ..Boris is hard to take serious but if the Tories stand up for democracy and the people who voted to leave Europe then I’m voting Tory.

It’s all about taking notice and respecting a democratic vote for me .

Little bit of politics there.. Now about the lack of goals …

• jane

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:09 PM

“Sunderland have confirmed “significant investment” from the American consortium FPP Sunderland Limited, although exact figures are undisclosed.”

“The value of the investment is reported to be around £10m.”

• Nufc-83

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:17 PM

Wow OLG I never thought in a million years I would agree with you on anything but that post is pretty much bang on the money great shout!

• jane

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:18 PM

i agree too

• IrishRob

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:19 PM

A very happy Halloween to all of ye, and may the utter shite be scared out of everyone at some stage tonight.

• Nufc-83

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:21 PM

magpie Ranger of course Ashley is finished with the club he has been for many many years…. talk about stating the obvious!

Relegation will only make it worse no way he will lose money on the club if we end up going down he will try to get back up by putting money in and increasing the debt. If we don’t get back up in one season we are screwed and will do a Sunderland and possibly worse. The only way we get rid of the slug is if we get lucky and the players hit a purple patch that sees us push up the table and we then look like a good investment.

• RobLeenio

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:28 PM

Talking of Democracy, I thought a key tenet of that was the right to free speech.

NY Mag is one of the straightest talkers on here, by which I mean he deals in nothing which is not factual. He knows more about the NUFC accounts than anyone I know and if he says there were inaccuracies in the NUST statement, that tells me that there were.

That doesn’t mean that he doesn’t agree with the thrust of the statement, just that it could have been worded better to make it more accurate.

In football, as in general life. We should all avoid polarised and divisive opinions and try to understand what people are trying to get across for ourselves, rather than jumping on bandwagons set in motion by those with an agenda.

Corbyn said “I will deliver Brexit in 6 months, after a referendum on a sensible exit deal or remaining in the EU”, which will actually constitute a much better position than we have been in since the original undefined leave / remain referendum was mooted. At the very least, we’ll all know what it is that we’re voting for / against this time.

• jane

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:32 PM

well said RobLeenio about NY Mag he’s one of our own!

• RobLeenio

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:38 PM

I am hoping to see Matt Ritchie back this weekend. Someone earlier mentioned the effect he has on the team, and it can’t be underestimated. He’s a warrior, full of fiery passion which he keeps in check somehow and directs in an excellent way, always on the edge of his temper but never letting it boil over.

I also hope to see Lejeune involved, even on the bench. He played a full half for the U23s, he’s likely capable of 20 minutes for the 1st team and that would give everyone a lift.

These are two leaders we’ve missed terribly, and with Hayden back too we may well see a bit more steel and better ball retention from the side.

• jasper

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:45 PM

OLG

Brexit was blocked by the ERG who want a hard Brexit which would be an economic disaster but suit their personal interests. Yet prior to the referendum Ress-Mogg said “of course we will stay in the customs union”. Corbyn still favours Brexit, unlike most of his party, but on the right terms. Those include keeping Scotland onside (another irony given the tories are supposed to be the “Conservative and Unionist” party) as well as protecting working conditions, food standards and the NHS.
    Be careful what you wish for. Once we are out we are out. There will be no turning back. If it all goes pear-shaped economically we will have burnt our bridges. Especially so if we crash out which is still the ERG agenda.

Now back to football.

Pain,
    I agree over our failure to hold the ball off our own thrown in.whinged about it for many seasons. I would add to this that we always lose the head tennis. When the ball is being headed back and forth our players seem to think it is more important to head it as far as possible rather than towards one of their own players. We lose out 80% of the time.

• RobLeenio

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:46 PM

I actually think we’re in a fairly decent shape. Poor team performances are normal for teams which are still trying to come to grips with each other – we have a forward line of 3 of which two arrived in the Summer and one arrived in January, two of which don’t speak English. It will take time for them to gel, but all have shown promise. Joelinton is ill-suited to the lone striker role, but has skill and a good temperament so with better service should come good.

Considering we’ve been missing key players from a still-developing team, to be on 9 points from 10 games is reasonable. Factor in the fixtures we’ve had and it’s excellent, though worrying that we’ve struggled against the weaker teams.

It’s crunch time now, over the next few fixtures. We have eight games between now and Christmas and should be looking for 12-15 points from those, given that the only top-six team we will play is Man City. Much less than 12 and we’ll struggle for the rest of the season and will probably go down.

• Online Guy

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:52 PM

Jane
    Nufc-83, just read your comments . Thank you .

I’m just catching up ..off to read the rest . Rob next. Ta.

• Online Guy

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:08 AM

Rob , Jasper , we already had the referendum ..the people voted to leave .

By all means negotiate further on an exit deal but the first democrative referendum should not be ignored . Don’t need another . Will Corbyn push for one if he gets to be PM ?

Yes let Whoever wins the forthcoming election negotiate an exit deal but there should be no going back on the will of the people.

• Online Guy

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:19 AM

Rob

I think the people who questioned N.Y. mag were unanimous in asking him if the statements over Strawberry place are wrong (as NY said) then he should say where and how they are wrong and how he knew this instead of just saying the were not de facto and incorrect .

People want to know what was incorrect and how he knew.

It looks like some are starting to have suspicions as inside knoledge will always be questioned here ! Fair enough.

I’m sure he can answer for himself and will be along soon to put folks at ease.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:23 AM

Just seen MOTD2 to review the last fixture and think the post match analysis was reasonable. First half Wolves didn’t play, pretty much contained nufc and did not offer much penetration. Our front three are seperate entities, Joelinton is not getting the passes he needs into space so he can be in possession facing the goal and with the support of the other two forwards.

To my mind there is a lack of understanding with what they are doing on the training pitch and patterns of play are not concertedly practiced both in attack and in defence. Part of the coaches role is to predict what the opposition will do and formulate a remedy, in readiness for in the match. I think under the previous manager the players were presented with a video package and asked to contribute to the tactical discussion.

• Online Guy

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:38 AM

Corbyn looking to take the voting age down to sixteen !

What’s his agenda ?

I had the first thought when reading that that it’s easier to manipulate young minds .

I’m being bolshy …true about the vote for 16 year old school kids though ..what you up to Jeremy.

Speaking out against Ashley is just cheap votemongering.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:47 AM

GUARDIAN – Odds are against Carroll to thrive on return to West Ham

Andy Carroll returned to training this week after a slight groin strain, and looks set to return to West Ham for the first time since leaving on a free transfer this summer. “I hope he will be fit,” the West Ham manager, Manuel Pellegrini, said, charitably. “He, like Winston Reid, is a player who has had many injuries, long injuries, and they deserve to have a normal career.” It is probably already too late for that: a few months from his 31st birthday, and with this game being played 13 years to the day since he made his senior debut, the famously injury-prone Carroll has started precisely 100 fewer club matches than Crystal Palace’s 26-year-old Wilfried Zaha. If he continued to start as frequently as he has across his career so far, he would catch up with Mark Noble’s current number of career starts sometime in October 2036. Football of course has its immutable law of the ex, which states that a player will always over-perform against his former teams, but Carroll appears to be an exception here as well: having played six times for West Ham against Newcastle without scoring (and another three barren games against them for Liverpool), it would be somewhat galling if he were to score against the Hammers at his first attempt. SB

…….it would be immensely pleasing.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:03 AM

Vote Tory!!!!! NEVER. My Mam and Dad would turn in their graves. Don’t like Corbyn, but I like some of his Policy, Hate hate the Tories. I voted Remain, but accepted the outcome.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:06 AM

OLG you would vote for a clown like Boris, well that’s me and you finished.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:09 AM

Lindisfarne, wouldn’t that be just great if he started and scored.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:15 AM

Rob great post re NYmag. I know Genjikai is so very passionate about getting Ashley out and he will do anything to make it happen but everyone has a different way of going about it.

• Online Guy

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:32 AM

Carltoon

I could well vote for Corbyn!

If Corbyn sez all the right things and does the right thing then I would vote for him ..some of his ideas and policy seem decent but if he goes for open borders and no control over immigration and dumps the armed forces then all his ideas are not worth a hill of beans .

If he goes with open borders then every good thing he stands for falls down.

I’m keeping an open mind as he may be the answer , he might not.

I actually like him as a bloke and some of his stated policy and ideas are worth thinking about but if, as Iv said, he opens up our borders and has no control over immigration then I’m out.

It’s going to be interesting watching the scramble for votes this election.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:36 AM

I think open borders will be a thing of the past, as a lot of European Countries are now realising.

• The Wife

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:37 AM

Just popping in to say Happy Halloween to everyone! We actually had trick-or-treaters this year! So exciting. The last few years we didn’t have any, but our neighborhood has had an influx of families with kids, so I had a hunch we’d better have candy at the ready tonight. 🙂

As for Newcastle, I sure hope they can find a way to win this weekend. We need a boost in morale around here. 😉

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:41 AM

Oh how we hate the Americans for giving us Trick or Treating, I close the shutters lock the doors and pretend we aren’t in. We’ve had them knocking all week nay hammering on the door and windows.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:52 AM

OLG years ago listening to friends discuss their favourite TV programs, they were full of oh Corry, easy Ender’s Dallas, when they asked me I replied Robin Day Question Time. That stunned them. And it was, I’m not interested much now.

• NY Mag

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:53 AM

From reading today’s comments, it would seem that I really polarized the blog – that was not my intention, although I appreciate that the ‘strawberry place’ topic is bit raw for a lot of fans.

I do however feel that I owe Genji an apology – I completely contradicted myself when I said I would be happy to talk with the people involved in the interview he posted and when he offered me that opportunity I completely refuted it.

Genii, that was wrong of me,I apologize.

What I should of said was that I would be quite happy to discuss things offline (not on a radio phone in and not on a public forum).

• The Wife

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:53 AM

Sorry, carltoon! 😀

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:55 AM

Well you’ve got me and Rob. Although Genjikai is a great bloke.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:56 AM

The Wife, it’s ok I was well into when my kids were small.

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:00 AM

OLG that post should read East Ender’s not (easy Enders) just in case you got the wrong impression.

• NY Mag

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:07 AM

Carltoon,

Have you been down to the ‘music venue’ tonight (sorry, I forgot the name again)

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:14 AM

Ha ha yes can you tell.

• NY Mag

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:18 AM

No comment……. 🙂

• lesh

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:20 AM

Online

You’ve disappointed me – unless of course the post in your name was written by someone whose hijacked it. Either that, or you posted the EU comments as a wind-up as it contained the cliches, the vox pop that was used by the hard line Tories or the Brexit party during the 2016 referendum.

‘You’ suggested thag it’s possible that Turkey will open up the borders to Iran , Iraq , and Syria and give them European status and passports and flood UK and Europe with refugees.’ Turkey ain’t in the EU! Remember the Leave campaign’s poster – the one proclaiming an invasion of zillions of Turks?

If you really did post that lost and believe what it said, … nah, I don’t believe you did. Surely not.

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:21 AM

Well I’m away to bed. Try and make it on the blog a bit earlier. goodnight OLG The Wife, NY Mag. Catch tomorrow night.