web analytics

Report – Newcastle Under-23 Head Coach Walks Out After Internal Dispute With Staff

Craig Hope with the Daily Mail is reporting that Newcastle Under-23 head coach Neil Redfearn has walked out of his job at Newcastle.

The report states that the 54-year-old Redfearn was furious with a younger member of his staff. A meeting held last week to ease the tensions between Redfearn and the staff member has failed to resolve the matter.

Apparently, the staff member had lodged some complaints against Redfearn to head of academy Ben Dawson. This was said to have left Redfearn seething, and he has since walked out of his position.

Ben Dawson and Redfearn took over first-team training this summer when Newcastle were undergoing their search for a new head coach. Steve Bruce was appointed on July 17th while the team was in China for the Premier League Asia Trophy.

Redfearn was named head coach for the Under-23s in June. His record this year saw him amass 10 points in 10 games in the Premier League 2 Division 2 with a record of 3 wins, 1 draw, and 6 losses.

Redfearn did not travel with the Under-23s for their match against Aston Villa this evening. The young Magpies lost that match on a late Aston Villa goal. Newcastle center-back Florian Lejeune also made his second appearance for the Under-23s in the game.

If this reporting is accurate, Newcastle will now begin the search for their fourth Under-23 manager in the last 2 years following Peter Beardsley, Ben Dawson, and Redfearn.

The report says that Newcastle refused to comment on the situation while attempts to contact Redfearn were unsuccessful.

• JohnReese

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:08 PM

I can’t say I’m overly disappointed by this. Obviously the negative media attention is frustrating after a win but I haven’t seen anything from Redfearn that makes me think he was the right man for the position.

I think it’s time to take a chance on a younger, progressive coach.

• lochinvar

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:20 PM

Is someone such as Jonas now qualified as a coach and back in good health.
    The club needs to think differently about key appointments and this would be a good start.
    Or poach Mike Willamson from Gateshead ?

• lesh

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:24 PM

Not knowing what’s behind all this but potentially it’s yet another symptom of an unhealthy organisation. Yes, we know he has underlings at the club, but Ashley’s ultimately responsible for an unhappy ship.

If he’s relying on Charmless and/or Barnes ttouring a happy ship, he might as well sell up.

• lesh

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:25 PM

@3
    ttouring = running a happy ship…

• jane

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:25 PM

Shola biding his time waiting for the right opportunity to get into management, is this it?

• lesh

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:27 PM

Lochinvar,

The way things are under our magnificent owner, we’ll be there alongside Gateshead in a few years

• lesh

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:28 PM

Jane

I wouldn’t be surprised if Shola’s offered the job.

• Genjikai

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:29 PM

Aye lesh
    Because the mighty heed army will rise.
    Come on you goat heads.

• Jib

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:30 PM

Lee Clark has 6 losses out of 7 at Blyth
    This could be the way to get back and start from
    scratch.

Lesh
    Your’e an idiot

• Jib

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:30 PM

You’re even

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:50 PM

“IrishRob

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:10 PM

Hey Rotunda you cant ban someone for having an opinion. Despite the obvious typos I choose my words and when I say them very carefully. I PROMISE you I’ll never be banned. In fact bring it on.”

You know what I think you’re probably right about not being banned. It appears your obnoxious behaviour is pretty much bulletproof. I think tonight’s big test was your onslaught of religious bigotry (two blog “sins” ha ha in one) which you might find amusing but seeing as there is still a sizeable representation from all religions in society and ergo this blog, I’m surprised nobody has piped up to object. It must mean you are in fact unassailable. Well done. You must be proud.

Note to Ed, Neil and The Wife – if this is the level of contributor we are suffering now I think I might be part of the latest exodus. See what i did there? 😉

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:52 PM

He’s done profanity to death and probably politics as well so what’s next for IR? Immigrants? I’m half expecting it.

• RobLeenio

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:55 PM

I’m with JohnReese, disappointing that the club is in turmoil once more, but I’ve not been convinced by the form of the U23s so far and this is an opportunity to do something to breathe some passion into the academy, which has been missing since Ben Dawson moved upstairs.

Mike Williamson is a good shout, Steve Watson may well be tempted too if we tried for him. He has York City currently at the top of the table in NAtional League North, 8 clear points ahead of the team in 2nd, Chester City.

He is clearly a good coach and one of my favourite past players. I seem to think he’s been pretty quiet on the regime also, so may well be acceptable to the management.

• RobLeenio

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:57 PM

The club being in turmoil may have been overstating things a tad….

😉

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:02 PM

No it’s in turmoil.

• Belfast

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:07 PM

He’s no Rob Vollans 🙂

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:18 PM

Lee Clark?

Good player and ffull of craic as a young lad….

But what’s happened?

He has all the spark and personality of a goldfish on his Monday spot on Look North’s football roundup.

I’m not surprised his management career has caved in.