web analytics

Player Development At The Heart Of Redfearn Issue

The Sun’s David Coverdale has added some information to the situation with Neil Redfearn’s departure. From his recent tweets, it looks like there was an internal struggle with his assistant coach Liam Bramley over player development versus results.

However, Coverdale does not make it clear as to which was the priority of the now-former head coach. If Neil Redfearn’s was emphasizing player development over the results of the Under-23s and has come out on the bottom of a power struggle, then that is extremely disappointing news.

If it’s the other way around and Redfearn was more concerned with getting points in Premier League 2 then that is not so worrying to us.

Coverdale’s tweet is very ambiguous as to which one is the concern. Though his follow up tweet about the players being upset with his departure lends credence that Redfearn may have been a popular coach with the youngsters.

Redfearn often favored playing younger players over the more experienced ones in his team selections. One instance of that was his preference for 18-year-old Dan Langley in goal over the experienced Jake Turner, who joined as a free agent this summer.

Another free agent Kyle Scott also went through a recent stretch where he did not feature much in the Under-23s with Redfearn often selecting 19-year-old Jack Young.

It’s hard to tell at the moment if Redfearn’s team selection was more results-oriented or slanted toward developing the younger players. It’s going to be very interesting to hear Redfearn’s side of the story whenever it comes out.

The role of the Under-23s manager must be weighted towards developing players for the senior level. So we hope that this latest upheaval with the Under-23s is for the right reasons.

• cyprus

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Hadn’t realized that the bus had moved.

On SB:

Moonraker
    It’s a results business, if we keep getting them the tide will turn. Simple.

There’s an ‘if’ in there.

• cyprus

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:29 PM

I find it hard to stay bitter on everything Newcastle United.

I want the thrills and spills from my team.

Simple, also.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:35 PM

hibbit
    Talking about missing posters, where’s BobbyBee, hope he’s OK.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:38 PM

Results or player development, hmmm.

I would have thought good results would engender player development, seems pretty obvious to me.

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:47 PM

Bill, it would work the other way also – player development would lead to improved results.

I wonder if it was more of a priority thing – it sounds like Redfearn was trying to develop the younger players (U18 level) ahead of those that the club had brought in having been released by other academies.

Really we can’t say which was the better approach without being involved in the decision making process.

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:49 PM

On absent posters, there’s Shirebrook Toon, JazzyP, IbizaToon and any number of others who haven’t checked in for a while, at least as far as I have seen.

I imagine if results pick up (or, dare I say it a takeover happens) then they’ll come back. It wouldn’t be the first time that any of them had absented themselves from the blog for a while.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Rob

Yeah I was thinking that as well but the converse of both aspects could be equally true.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Rob

I do believe that a lot of posters may have got fed up with certain assertions and have been driven away as I stated to someone t’other day.

A real PR success for a certain mole!

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:55 PM

cyprus re your two points above, you’re right about it being a results business, we’ll all find it easier to accept Bruce if he can string some wins together in the next month or so. He’s recognised that himself too, though it misses the point that we were never really against him in the first place, but against the owner and sceptical of Bruce’s ability to coach effectively.

I want Bruce to be successful, I want to see the team do well. I also want to see Ashley out of the club. It’s a confusing time to be a NUFC fan, but then when wasn’t it?

• toon22

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:56 PM

Yeh

It’s not that people are sick of Jabba and his PR goons

Nee way

• toon22

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:57 PM

You can read pro Jabba PR on this blog on a daily basis

Some are fine with it 😉

• Bants

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:58 PM

Seen the flooding on the Ventura cruise ship? (mailonline)

Mr & Mrs geordietom bombing the indoor pool whilst high on hippy crack apparently.

• captainmarvel

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:00 PM

Re. Absent posters, it’s probably due to Ashley Rafa’s exit too and the jury is still out on Bruce..
    Nice to see some good results happening though..

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:02 PM

toon22

Yeah it gives you something to whine about, doesn’t it!

• Oldgit1

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:05 PM

@ Ancient can I thank you for posting the link to the West Ham v NUFC game on sat gone. Just wanted to say it was spot on, the best link for ages. Very much appreciated.

• toon22

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:07 PM

Essex

Lets stay positive

Its worked so well for the last 13 years

Think i found where JIB went

The Sensible Monk David2211 • an hour ago

We will have lots of goals from set pieces under Rafa and Pardew it happens.
    These two were well worked goals from the training ground and had been
    practiced all week. A big difference hope you understand.

(posted on another site)

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:08 PM

Bill #7 – I guess we’ll find out over time – the first team sheet should be quite revealing. It was just last week I said Kyle Scott hadn’t seen as much pitch time as I expected, he may be one of the bones of contention in this argument.

As for folk being driven away, it’s more likely the boredom of reading the same posters trading the same insults over and over and over and over and over………

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:11 PM

too22

Are you really trawling through other blogs in the hope you can find something that you can associate with Jib, you really are sad.

I would say get a life but you seem to have one albeit a quite pathetic one.

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:12 PM

Talking of links as oldgit1 did, does anyone have a link to the full West Ham match? I was out all day Saturday, out the Saturday night, out all day Sunday and out last night, (mostly non-boozy, thank God) and in between laying a new floor in the downstairs loo, so I haven’t had a chance to catch it all yet.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:16 PM

Rob

It was mentioned earlier, dunno if it was you, that Redfearn was old school and Dawson was science, you’ll possibly see the same scenario being played out in many clubs now, out with the old and in with the new as it were!

• martoon

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:19 PM

I’m sure the reduction in posters is a combination of the state of affairs with nufc at the moment and the idiot posters spoiling it for the rest. I can only speak for myself but I don’t mind a bit of bickering as I find it quite entertaining but the real nasty or abusive posts are something else. I use a rule of thumb if the person was standing in front of you rather than you hiding behind a keyboard would you dare speak to them like that? In the majority of cases I think not – so maybe bear that in mind the next time you are about to post!