web analytics

International Manager Considering Return For Newcastle Defender

A week ago, Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy named his provisional squad for next week’s internationals. Ireland have a friendly against New Zealand next Thursday before a massive Euro qualifier with Denmark.

Both Ireland and Denmark are on 12 points with Ireland having the better goal difference. However, Denmark and third place Switzerland have a game in hand on Ireland.

For his provisional squad, McCarthy picked Newcastle’s Ciaran Clark. It’s been over a year since Clark has been named to an Ireland squad, and his last cap was in September of 2018 against Wales.

However, his recent play for Newcastle has now possibly opened the door for an international return.

Speaking to the Republic of Ireland website, McCarthy noted that Clark may have played himself into contention for the upcoming internationals. This is what he had to say about Ciaran after his goal against West Ham:

“Ciaran Clark did his chances no harm as well on Saturday. His goal was one of the highlights for Newcastle, but he played well throughout the game and looked settled in their defense.”

Clark has been outstanding since his return to the team against Manchester United last month. The goal he scored was a familiar sight for Newcastle fans as Ciaran has an eye for goal. He scored three last year despite only playing in eleven Premier League games.

Clark has made 32 appearances for Ireland since his debut in February of 2011. McCarthy will make the final determination of his squad for next week’s internationals tomorrow.

• RobLeenio

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Noone from Sirius on the blog, I believe. Maybe some from Sirius on the dog, however.

Now that is a very intelligent and multi-layered joke which will fly right over the heads of some, and not, as you may think, sh1t crack.

I know bill will get it, as he’s a man of taste and distinction. He also frolics naked through woodland at midnight.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:21 PM

Prestonmag – I’ll check out your holiday tip. Never really thought of that area previously.

• Nufc-83

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:24 PM

The conversation started when you suggested someone I think it was ASM will just be sold on for a profit making out we are a club who sells its best players just to make money. I said in my opinion the club does not actively look to sell its best players as the only player who has left when the club has actively pushed him out the door to get the cash was Carroll. I then posted multiple times about how that model can be good for a club and if the money is invested wisely (which I agreed we don’t do) it can push the team on to compete at the top thus reducing the chances of players wanting to leave etc. It’s extremely simple and I know you are aware of all this but You decided to use the statement we don’t sell players for profit as your headline to fit your narrative. You have used this tactic multiple times which is one of the reasons you got the name weasel.

If you look back over the last few posts and then go back to my original posts you will see most posters have actually said almost identical things about this model etc.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:29 PM

woah – running through the woods in the middle of the night in his birthday suit. Disgraceful behaviour.

• jane

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:41 PM

“the only player who has left when the club has actively pushed him out the door to get the cash was Carroll.”

was he pushed?

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:45 PM

Jane it was meant to be an ellipsis.

• Pain in the Blog

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:47 PM

Mister Tuff #23,

‘Wondering where to go on holiday next year – always fancied going to Crete – to check out the historic places.
    Sometimes the best “inside knowledge” about somewhere can be gleaned from speaking to the locals.
    Jib/Jane/Just a Fan – any holiday tips for Crete.’

Very clever, very subtle, Tuffy (in response to Hibbit’s earlier lesson). Perhaps a little too subtle for some. Unless I’m mistaken, because I don’t get your response at #42.

• Nufc-83

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:57 PM

Jane I don’t know however if I think back through all the transfers in which we have sold players for a considerable sum of money that one stands out. For me a local lad playing for his club and doing so well I think the club could have easily retained him even if he was angling for a move. The other sales are pretty much a given in my book and I don’t feel the club could have turned down the offers (or would want to in some cases).

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:28 PM

Nuf-83,
    I could think of many names for you but refrain from using them yet you keep deciding to insult me in every post. I will reiterate, you claimed the club don’t sell players purely for profit, I claim they do at every opportunity and had the players they bought purely to sell on been better we would have seen more go. I have not twisted your words. And I have not got the name “weasel” a group men I consider to be bell ends of the highest order, you included have taken it upon themselves to insult me with it in every post. It wouldn’t be very good for the blog if every time I addressed you I called you bell end now would it, so think about that every time you insult me.

• dougie

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:31 PM

nufc 83,if you believe, and I don’t believe for one minute that you do that Sports Direct FC isn’t all about selling our best players for a big profit to line the parasites pockets then you are either deluded,retarded,a paid shill or a wum.I would say one of the last two.How much are they paying you.Ive said it before and ill say it again you are a twerp.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:32 PM

Debuchy wasn’t here five minutes and they got rid of him to double their money. “Ah, but he wanted to leave”.
    Why did he want to leave though? Because when he sat down with Llambias they told him he’d be guaranteed a game no matter and would be sold the minute a better ran club than this footin shambles came in for him.

• Just a fan

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:39 PM

Toon22
    I may be a boring jib alt
    But will never be as boring as you.
    Mr tuff
    I’ve never been to Crete you had better ask Jane and jib yourself.
    Do you realise how stupid you look calling me jib.
    No probably not

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:45 PM

Rob

I think my reference flew over everybody’s head, check out the former Brexit candidate for Batley and Spen a Ms J J Hughes

• Ron Knee

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:45 PM

What a miss.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:46 PM

As for frolicking through the woods naked at midnight what’s odd about that?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:50 PM

Everybody should do it, very liberating especially on a full moon, awooooooooohhh!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:52 PM

TV time, later!

• Ron Knee

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:54 PM

Warren Zevon?

• toon22

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:55 PM

JIB / Nufc83

Yaaawwwnnnn

More PR guff from those who defend Jabba
    Nobody cares

• RobLeenio

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:03 PM

Bill I merely meant that frollicking through the woods at midnight was a perfect opportunity for some star gazing.

That lass seems to be a loony. Still, she’d be in Siriusly good company in parliament I reckon.

• Just a fan

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:05 PM

Essex
    Nice to see your a frolics
    Just to say nice to have a sensible guy on here

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:06 PM

Ron,
    They won’t pay for BT out here so don’t see any games unless one of the Scouers puts Lpool on a virgin account via the computer, and I really can’t be dealing with sitting in a room full of them. I find them worse than Mancs from Essex.

• Ron Knee

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:12 PM

No streaming, Jail?

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:19 PM

How much profit made on players?

Perez £28m
    Merino £4m
    Mitrovic £6m
    Wijnaldum £6m
    Janmaat £3m
    Sissoko £30m
    Carroll £36m
    Debuchy £8m
    Cabaye £18m
    Ba £7m
    Milner £5m
    Given £6m

Rough figures. Can’t think of any outstanding wastes of high fee players, they either lost a few million at most and we got that use out of them or they were spent over time and naturally devalued.

I’d say we are positioned as a club to capitalise on the big talent money without spending overtly on high value replacements. Plus look at our net spend over that time. Until very recently in the black, virtually unheard of, well for an “ambitious” pl club fighting for honours ha ha. We kinda look like a vending machine.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:22 PM

I’ve no desire to catch sight of anyone’s frolics. 😐

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:24 PM

Too dodgy Ron, if you end up directed to an adult site you’re history. Big no no those dodgy sites.

• Nufc-83

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:27 PM

Jail that’s better your starting to change the way you are using the words now to I suggested the club don’t sell players purely for profit rather than stating I said the club don’t sell players for profit (the second is ridiculous when used as a single statement).

Go through the list and tell me why each player was sold and if you think it was purely the club pushing for the money. You name Debuchy as the example and as I said yesterday he clearly wanted to leave and go to Arsenal. With players like Vardy who have loyalty to the club there’s a chance of blocking that move (which is why I think Carroll could have stayed) but Debuchy no chance in fact I wouldn’t want to keep him once he made it clear.

Dougie you are exactly what your name suggests so nothing more to be said lol.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:27 PM

Most of that cash was to make sure the club could “wipe its own nose” and when we didn’t spark a lucky profit out of some player radically gaining value we just kept shovelling the proceeds into quantity over quality, in the knowledge we would have a bulked out treadwater squad, barely fit to survive the pl, with the possibility a gem or two would rise out of it and keep that circus going. Trouble is that two relegations showed it was a very dicey model indeed. Didn’t stop them from keeping on with it though did it?

• Nufc-83

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:30 PM

To make it clear for the hundredth time I don’t think the club replace these players adequately or invest wisely in the transfer market. A club that does can make huge strides with a buy low sell high model (such as Dortmund etc).

• Nufc-83

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:30 PM

Bleatin I agree completely with the above.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:31 PM

Trouble is it’s pretty clear these players were all promised a premier League leg up in their career with a backscratch arrangement – they play well, we get the fee, they get the big move, everybody wins. Except the actual club. That just sees the money changing hands at a distance while it gets a couple of relegations under its belt.

• Nufc-83

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:33 PM

Strange thing is we got lucky with this model (I suppose it was luck anyway) in which we brought a number of low value players in at a similar time who all went onto being high value players. Where has that scouting team gone lol bring back Carr.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:33 PM

You can see from the transfer activity, the net spend, and the club’s performance over the Ashley tenure that any pretence toward us actually being a proper competing football club is an illusion. It never was, and for the foreseeable future, won’t be.

• jane

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:35 PM

the general opinion at the time of some of those high profit sales was that they were good business.

• Nufc-83

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:40 PM

Bleatin I’m not sure who you are directing the posts at but nobody is suggesting Ashley is all for having us be a competitive side in the PL. Don’t get drawn into the same style as Toon in which he makes things up so he can spend his time writing to garbage that nobody bothers to read.

• Nufc-83

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:41 PM

If that makes sense dam phone!

• Ron Knee

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:44 PM

Kyle Walker in goal?

• dougie

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:15 PM

nufc 83 truly is a tool of the highest order,a bizarre character judging by his attempts to defend the indefensible to no avail.His muppetry knows no bounds it seems.What a bell end.

• Nufc-83

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:15 PM

Hiya Dougie

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:18 PM

bettyswallocks – I sincerely hope that Bills Son’s comment on the previous thread was indeed a typing error. If not then he ought to be seriously ashamed of himself for making such a remark with all the implications that go along with it. He really needs to take a long hard look at himself and make the appropriate apologies whichever was the reason for such a disgusting comment.

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT YOU ARE

Apologies, for a TYPO??

Look at your keyboard, .n is next to b – the word I wanted to type was ‘bigger;’.

Guess what…

Bleatin n Bruced picked up the typo and called me Bills Sin, not Bills Son.

Another TYPO.

I’m not apologising for anything because I’ve got nowt to apologise for.

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE MORON YOU ARE bettyswallocks.