web analytics

Steve Bruce Wants Input In ‘Future’ Of Club

Earlier this week, Neil Redfearn left his position as Newcastle Under-23 head coach under contentious circumstances. There was reportedly some friction between him and his assistant Liam Bramley.

Redfearn had been appointed to the position in June and was the third Under-23 head coach in the past two years. Now Newcastle will undergo a search for Redfearn’s replacement.

It is an endeavor that Steve Bruce would like to have some say in. Speaking to the Chronicle, this is what Bruce had to say about the search for the next Under-23 head coach:

“I would like to think I would have some sort of input. Academies are there for the future of all clubs. So there will have to be a certain structure in there.

“All managers expect that but if I can have an input, which I hope I will have, we can come up with somebody who can fill the role and do it well.”

Steve Bruce has taken a keen interest in the Academy since joining Newcastle. He has attended numerous games and has a good track record of bringing through young players.

Steve Bruce and Steve Clemence– attending an Under-23 game

It makes perfect sense that Bruce would like some input in the process. Bruce should also have many contacts in the game and may even have some coaches in mind that Newcastle could take a look at.

While Newcastle have been making the right noises in terms of improving the Academy, they need to make sure they bring in the right coaches to develop their top prospects. With his wealth of experience, Steve Bruce can be an asset in finding that person.

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:44 PM

Steve Bruce putting a statement like this in the press must mean at this moment in time he has no input,other than first team affairs also he refers to himself as manage yet the club refer to him as first team coach ????

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Steve Bruce should absolutely be given some say in who becomes the net coach of the U23s. He should start by getting out his little black book to share with Ben Dawson:

Gary Pallister
    Bez
    Terry Christian
    A wrapper from a Werther’s Original

Afterwards, Ben Dawson should be left to get on with his job in peace and quiet.

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Posda
    i think you’ve got some neck on you complaining about posters throwing insults your way considering the amount you’ve thrown at me over the last few months.

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”

• Mindshaft

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:04 PM

Is Bruce sneaking in a complaint about the structure … Clearly he has no input on anything other than first team coaching duties which, to be fair is the job spec he signed up for … Be funny if the worm turned though

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:05 PM

Talking of ‘new’ coaches for the U23s, Steve Harper was at Whitley Park for the U23 game this afternoon, according to NUFC.com.

He was the Academy goalkeeping coach until May this year and left on good terms, looking for a bigger role in the game. U23 Head Coach would be a promotion that he might well appreciate.

And no need to speak to Terry Christian.

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:12 PM

Mindshaft
    if the worm did turn Bruce might then have a chance of getting some of the respect he so desperately craves !!

• toon22

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Posada
    Just another alt of JIB

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:28 PM

hibbit, on throwing insults.

You called me a grumpy old man and I take that as an insult.

I’ve asked you twice to justify that opinion.

I’ll ask you for a third time.

Explain.

• toon22

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:29 PM

The traitor celebrated the Mackems scoring a goal, against the toon at SJP
    He didn’t have to, other players and managers have in the past shown some restraint

Not him

He will receive exactly the respect he deserves

• toon22

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:30 PM

Bills

It’s never Jabbas fault

• Bambams

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:33 PM

Rob

Evening mate

Bruce and Harps are very good mates. I would not be one bit surprised if Harps gets a role within the NUFC umbrella.

Harps reckons Bruce is up there with KK and SBR and is ideal for NUFC.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:38 PM

Rob,
    Harper is Northern Ireland keeper coach. He is expected to go with O’Neil to Stoke.

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:39 PM

Evening bambams, I didn’t know about a connection there, but it makes sense as I think Harps and shearer are mates.

I don’t have a great history when it comes to connecting various NUFC dots, mind….

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:39 PM

Bills Son Is Back,
    Without getting too Sherlockian I’d hazard a guess it’s because you’re grumpy and old???

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM

And Lilo proves that to be the case….

😉

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM

Bills Son Is Back

apologises for not responding to to your first request,

the simply answer is, that’s exactly how you come across a very angry grumpy old man,

• Bladey

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM

Most of you are decrepid old dinasaurs on here
    Who will always accept any old crap from nufc as long as the stadium is standing
    You lack any ambition to win things as all you care about is your Saturday day out from your care centre a pint and a pie
    Basically your ASH arse lickers
    ASH IN WISE OR CARVER IN MUGS OUT

• posada

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:43 PM

Hibbitt

I did tell you exactly what I thought of some of your comments.
    However, what did I say today to justify being called a Bullshitter.
    I said the Level 7 was not empty.
    Attendance will always be linked to performance.

Fairly bland statement really. Thing is there are a group of three or four on here who are programmed to pounce on anything that does not fit totally with their agenda.
    Most, not all, but most match going supporters don’t bother to comment as a consequence.

• toon22

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:44 PM

Posada

Just another boring alt of JIB

• toon22

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:45 PM

Hiya JIB

Posting PR 24/7 since Jabba started robbing the club

• posada

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:48 PM

Bills Son Is Back

One of the few home match goers who comes on here and still gives as good as he gets.
    Others don’t like conflict so say nowt.

Has a good knowledge of the game.
    Many interesting posts over the years.
    Comments about tactics, players etc.

Some of his worst critics never get into a debate about the actual game.
    That’s because they know nowt.

• posada

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:51 PM

Speaking of No Nowts.
    Toon 22.

Go on No Nowt. Amaze me. Shock me.
    Say something about the way we play.
    Formation, tactics.
    Say something about a player. What he is good at. What he’s not so.

Say something about a game you were at that was really memorable.

You won’t cos you know nowt and you have never been to a game.

• posada

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:53 PM

Bladey and Toon 22 on together.
    Now there’s a surprise.

• posada

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:54 PM

A cabal of no nowts.

• Bambams

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:59 PM

Rob

Harps worked with Bruce, I think it was at Hull. I have met him at a few charity events and he really rated him as a manager.

Maybe he will be right, there are a few of the old brigade think he (Bruce) will be a safe pair of hands.

Time will tell

🙂

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:07 PM

posada

the way i read it was,
    Genjikai told you exactly how he viewed the game, a line he’s followed since the game ended and has not wavered from, you didn’t agree and you immediately start throwing the insults about,Genjikai immediately followed in kind and you didn’t like it and then spat your dummy out.
    now you come back on here hours later trying to play the victim card, it really is time for you grow up,
    if you are going to continue to insult people every time you come on here, you must expect to to get some insults back.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:16 PM

So, Stevie B, now the initial excitement and whirlwind buzz of landing a prem gig at whatever expense had subsided, you are in the hinterland of realisation that “the future” is a thing to be concerned about. So NOW you’re asking questions out loud about where you stand in the decision making process. Let us here on the blog help you with that query.

You don’t.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:22 PM

Steve. Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve. Steve. The time when you should have uttered “I’d like to think…” ( Ellipsis there, Jane) was when they had just explained how you would be coach only and your player deals would be handled by the “procurement team” and you would be tasked with simply not getting relegated and btw your salary will be docked if you get part any quarter finals etc – then slid the contract toward you on the table and offered you the biro. That’s when you should have said “I’d like to think”. It’s a complete waste of time liking to think any of that now, lardy boy.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:25 PM

Yep Bills Son’s a curmudgeon that’s an easy one. Posada is his angry little old dog with patchy fur and milky eyes growling at anything his master does. 🙂

• Ron Knee

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:44 PM

Sean Casey@caseysean51

Granit Xhaka: “I would love to play for #nufc especially in front of the great St James Park crowd. After the way they treated @AyozePG it’s exactly the atmosphere I need.”

• posada

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:48 PM

St Hibbitt

The empty seat counter. Oh woe is me I gave my ticket up and I’ve had it since Nineteen Canteen.
    Now spends his days bricking it in case NUFC actually do OK in his absence.

Looked again at what I said. Genjiai said Level 7 was empty. Empty means zero. No supporters there. I said no. Sparse yes empty no.

That should not be the reason for folks to kick off etc.
    Go back and read it.

As for insults and stick. I’ve been taking it and giving it back for several years as you should know.

Remember 2 years ago. I said Amanda was a chancer and possibly even a stalking horse. Was hated for it, but guess what some months later it turned out I was right.
    I was hated even more for being right.

At about that time if you remember you were spouting loads of ITK rubbish.
    Announcement next Tuesday. Unlimited money. MBS.
    It’s happening. I know this for sure etc.

You promised to leave the blog and never come back.
    Some hope.

• geordietom

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:53 PM

toon22 …

all you put on here is the traitor this jabba that to get your hits up , do us all a favour and tell us the last time you set foot in side ST JAMES PARK . was it when the ROBLEDO brothers played for us back in the 50s …

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:57 PM

posada

well if that doesn’t prove my point nowt will,just can’t or wont help yourself,
    your definitely the complete Bigot

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:10 PM

Bladey “Most of you are decrepid old dinasaurs on here”

So don’t come on then…..

Maybe you could use the time you get back to learn how to spell ‘decrepit’ and ‘dinosaur’.

😉

• investinyouthtoon

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:12 PM

Hibbit you’re wasting your time trying to get posada/just a fan/bills son etc, trying to get them to see your opinion. When he says empty he literally means zero, whereas Genjikai meant virtually empty compared with historic attendances in that area and most people would understand what he meant.

posada/just a fan/bills son, I’m sure are just happy with having a day out on the sauce watching hit and miss football. Never mind them caring for the club and actually doing anything useful towards trying to get rid of Ashley like others are still doing. They just throw insults around if they ever get challenged rather than have a logical debate

• Ron Knee

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:12 PM

“The battle of the bottom two” tonight.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:13 PM

Geordietom careful there playing the “better fan” card, this is a global nufc blog, there’ll be quite a percentage posting here who havent even been to England never mind sjp. There’ll be a few who haven’t been back to blighty for decades. Find another stick. 😉

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:15 PM

Rob don’t suggest bladey gets a thesaurus either because he’ll be terrified it eats him.

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Neil “The Academy is an area that Newcastle need to improve drastically in the coming years. Far too few youngsters have had an impact on the Newcastle first team. While the Longstaff brothers both have recently broken through, they are exceptions rather than the rule.”

I was thinking idly about this on the Metro on the way home. There’s another way of thinking about things, in my opinion, which is that a great deal of the required improvement has been in progress for a while now, and the Longstaffs are the result and hopefully the shape of things to come.

Granted the facilities need to be improved, but I think the most important element of any educational facility is its staff. Since Beardsley left and Ben Dawson’s influence has grown, things seem to have got better. We’ll see if this is a flash in the pan or evidence of long-term improvement over time, I guess.

The next question to ask is how much influence did Rafa have on this improvement, if it does indeed exist? It surely can’t be a coincidence that the Academy has been showing signs of improvement since we had a World class manager in place.

• geordietom

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:18 PM

tsunki…

my comment was directed at toon22 and toon22 only …

not expats …