web analytics

Newcastle Signing Doing His Part To Reach International Goal

It has shockingly been three years since Jetro Willems played a part internationally for the Netherlands. The left-back famously became the youngest player to play in the European Championships when he started against Denmark in June of 2012. He had just turned 18 a few months earlier.

Over the next four years, Willems made 22 appearances for the Dutch national team. However, due to some serious knee injuries and a slip in form when he moved to Frankfurt in 2017, it’s been silent on the international front for the 25-year-old. His last appearance was a 6-minute cameo against France in a World Cup qualifier in October of 2016.

When Jetro first came to Newcastle, he mentioned his desire to get called up for the Netherlands again. It played a significant role in his decision to come to Newcastle, where he would get first-team football in the World’s most prestigious league. Most importantly, he has been deployed in his preferred position of left-back.

This is how Jetro responded when asked if he wanted to play at left-back for Newcastle during his first interview:

“Yes, if I want to reach my goals and want to play for the national team again.

“In my former club, I played in the midfield. In the national team in the midfield, it’s quite busy. They have good players playing there.

“So on the left side, it’s also my strength. So if I want to reach my goals, I want to play there.”

So far, so good for Jetro. He’s made 8 starts on the left for Newcastle, and he is showing what a talent he is. We have to believe that he is knocking on Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman’s door for a call-up. He’s been just so impressive for Newcastle over the past few months.

Jetro’s path internationally is currently blocked by Ajax’s Daley Blind. The former Manchester United player has started all of the Netherlands’ Euro qualifiers at left-back. That is despite Blind playing as a center-back or defensive midfielder for Ajax.

Crystal Palace’s Patrick van Aanholt is also ahead of Willems in his nation’s pecking order. The former-Magpie is again in the squad for this week’s qualifiers, but the 29-year-old has not had a cap in over a year.

If Jetro can keep putting in the performances like he did on Saturday for Newcastle, maybe he can get back into the Euros a full eight years after he became the youngest player in that competition.

The Netherlands currently top Group C in qualification. They play Northern Ireland on Saturday and then Estonia next Tuesday. It would be quite a treat this summer to watch Jetro play in the Euros, especially if he signs for Newcastle permanently.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:49 PM

Munster – a post you made on the last thread.

Yes. That’s my issue too – exaggeration in both directions. Rafa’s greatness and Bruce’s ineptness both overstated. Myths not matching reality. I’ve always said I wish Rafa stayed, of course, he steadied the ship and historically he is the better more respected manager, as B&WBlood pointed out though, past achievements are not always an indicator of future performance in something so complex as football.

I also remain unconvinced his reasoning is the whole truth. He simply wouldn’t be in China for a ‘project’ if they were offering him the same salary he was on here.

It annoys me to see people giving tired lines like “I’ll support him because he’s manager of Newcastle United and any manager gets my support.”, followed by a bunch of caveats which show they’re only paying lip-service to the idea and they’re just waiting to pounce on any moment of weakness.

If you can’t get fully behind the team and manager, almost a 3rd of the way through the season with us 2pts off 5th after a tough start, at what point can you sustain the image you’re only wishing for a chance to see us progress? “Oh, but even if we did manage a great season, it’d be a flash in the pan like Pardew!”. They’ve always got another excuse lined up for their negativity. That’s where the ugly self-fulfilling prophecies come in. I mean you have them disgruntled and lamenting a bit of positive feeling on the blog after wins. Clearly indicates a warped mindset.

• toon22

jane

All PR

😉

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:08 PM

Peter Løvenkrands who is reserve team coach at Rangers
    would be a canny Redfearn replacement.

• Nufc-83

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:10 PM

Rob I am not sure if me and OLG should be in the same group due to our previous 🙂

• RobLeenio

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:15 PM

Toon 22 “Ive never spoken to a single person IRL with anything like the views you read on this blog”

I’ve spoken to loads of folk who think that Bruce has, so far, exceeded expectations. Always with the caveat “let’s hope it continues, we’ll know better by the end of the season” and such like.

Actually, I think we’ll only be able to judge Bruce properly midway through next season, by which point Rafa’s team will have been more effectively dismantled and he’ll have had to integrate more new players and develop his own tactics and style of play.

In the meantime, he deserves credit for what he’s done to this point.

• RobLeenio

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Not that I want the team to be ‘effectively dismantled’ and nor do I think it’s an actual goal of the club in case that seemed to be implied. Just looking ahead to when at least a few of the current team will have left and will need to be replaced.

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Captainmarvel – Personally I could not give a flying “f” if the team gets more points than Rafa,

Who do you support bonny lad?

Obviously not NUFC.

• Our Toon

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:21 PM

Can we not just enjoy the progress made over the last month? Instead it’s the same old on here.

November and fans are still discussing rafa, good grief he’s moved on and so should we. He took his 12m and is happy, we’ve got someone that no one really wanted but he’s here. I’m happy for bruce to keep proving me wrong, 15 pts from 12 games for a team who was favourite to be bottom 2 by most pundits.

Enjoy the international break and swallow some pride for those who refuse to wilt on the rafa nonsense.

• Our Toon

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:23 PM

Hail

@1 spot on mate!!

• toon22

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:24 PM

Rob
    Nice list you got
    Shame it’s not mine but it does prove the point

• toon22

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:26 PM

Clubs doing so well Jabba is giving away match day tickets
    But let’s be positive
    It’s working a treat

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:26 PM

IRL
    In real life
    is a phrase used by gamers
    toon22 has said he used to be tinfinger and
    a gamer.
    It was a sad day when this “billy no mates”
    discovered he could get a reaction from real
    people on this blog

• G

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:26 PM

For the record, I wanted Rafa, not Bruce. Also for the record, I didnt want Chris Houghton either but he turned me round. Still dont think Bruce is the man for the job, but I would be delighted if he makes me eat my words too.

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:27 PM

Beaten Bleatin Tsunki – No pressure on me so fret not, just the usual suspects conceding ground readily by starting with the usual name calling and taunts, doesn’t hide their pathetic reasoning though.

You really are deluded.

Not one poster who disagreed with your flawed opinion of Bruce’s performance to date has either used pathetic reasoning or conceded ground.

You however have done both, the best laugh being that the wins over Spurs and Man U don’t count because they are currently malfunctioning teams.

And as for name calling, you’ve dished out plenty and don’t give it if you can’t take it.

I called you a buffoon…

And I stand by every letter of that.

• toon22

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:30 PM

We have gone from playing CL matches to giving away tickets under Jabba

Nothing will change until he is gone

JIB would like everyone to ignore reality and sit back and watch Jabba asset stripping us for another 13 years

• toon22

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:31 PM

JIB

Posts here 24/7 defending Jabba

😉

• posada

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:32 PM

Time for the disparaging Avatars of Bruce to disappear.

Unless of course they actually support that lot.
    From down the road.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:34 PM

I was off the blog for a week just gone
    However I could read it and had to chuckle
    when toon22 revealed he was a climate
    change denier and used the fantastically
    ironic phrase
    “everyone should keep an open mind”

• posada

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:34 PM

Tinfing you make my heart sing.
    You make everyfing groovy.

Not.

• DubaiMicky

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:37 PM

Well I’m off to launch a mole el queso el sombrero cafe in Percy Street.

Anyone want to put in?

• DaveD1000

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:39 PM

G @14
    if you don’e stop talking all sensible…..I bet you are even enjoying watching the lads running about like mad things and pulling there plugs out for the shirt

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:40 PM

Marvel there’s a team about 13 (? ) miles to the south of Newcastle ( Toon 22 knows the area, he will guide u better than me 🙂 ) who will take your support gladly. Off you trot.

• toon22

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:41 PM

JIB/ Posada

It’s never Jabbas fault
    Here 24/7 defending him

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:42 PM

Podada at 18, well said. Another guy who wasn’t afraid to ask questions of Rafa tactics now and again and was shouted at for that. Yes, get rid of that silly avatar Tsunki for goodness sake.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:42 PM

Munster Is that the lot that Rob Lee’s son Olly
    scored against for Gillingham at the weekend ?

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:43 PM

My thoughts on Bruce…

I don’t think he could cut it tactically at the top level and in that respect I think he is second best to Rafa.

However some managers, and especially those who have strong man management skills and an ability to generate team spirit, can get players to raise their game and play above themselves out of a genuine desire to well for a guy that they like and respect.

I think Bruce, at the moment, falls into that category at NUFC..

The problem with this type of manager though is twofold…

One… they can become victims of their success ie., if they do well, raise expectations and start really challenging the big teams their tactical shortcomings are then exposed, and they are sacked.

Two… initial enthusiasm for a ‘nice guy’ can wear off and as soon as it does most of the team who were running their balls off for the manager stop doing that.And performances and results suffer.

As long as Bruce has the backing and respect of the players he currently seems to enjoy, he’s got a chance.

If he ever loses it, he has no chance.

• toon22

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:44 PM

JIB

I’m sure your able to google things about the sun
    I’d also like you to link when I denied the climate didn’t change
    As if you actually bothered trading why I posted my point was it always changes
    Has done since the plant had a climate

That’s not your point though, can’t hide the PR so try and distract from it

• bettyswallocks

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:45 PM

Tsunki does have a valid argument in refusing to accept the mediocrity that the club appears to be happy with. To avoid relegation with minimum outlay is hardly an inspiring policy but those that are prepared to go along with this agenda without making a fuss have every right to adopt that position.

The appointment of SB was a huge disappointment after Rafa and if we are honest I’m sure we all expected dismal football whilst floundering around in the bottom three. The fact that we have shown some battling qualities and some unexpected results , whether down to Steve Bruce or the team spirit instilled by Rafa, has been a
    pleasant surprise along with the emergence of St Max as an exciting prospect after so long without a player with his flair and dribbling skills.
    The point still remains however that Rafa was a world renowned manager with an impressive CV who appeared to be willing to try and improve the club gradually season by season without making unreasonable demands. The hope that Rafa generated was ripped away when Rafa left and replaced by Bruce and folk are still angry and rightly so.
    We have never won anything in my lifetime and are unlikely to do so whilst Ashley remains the owner but there’s no harm in enjoying us win games when we are expected lose so that’s what I’ll be doing.
    The point still remains though that Rafa had

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:45 PM

Well said our Toon. I dont think SB is anything brill and i am quietly concerned re an implosion but he doesnt deserve all the ridicule he got on here. Traitor? Because he took a well paid job with your nearest big club? Get over it ffs. Hope you call Brace and Vennison traitors to their faces when you see then. And SB.

• toon22

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:45 PM

Ahh

Your a mackem if you don’t love the traitor?
    A guy who celebrated them scoring against us at SJP ?

LoL

• DaveD1000

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:47 PM

buggar shouldn’t try multi tasking
    line one don’t
    line two their

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:49 PM

Billson at 27, stop making sense man . Not to worry you will always be a grumpy git – to some of the grumpy gits on here. As you said, we all know he aint top class, but whats the point in not wanting him to do well and cheer him on as he is doing it ? One journalist also said he might squeeze more from Ashley. He could well be correct. Hope for best etc. No doubt he will lose two on the bounce now and Les Miserables trying to replace their bile with a new football knowledge that they dont seem to have to date.

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:50 PM

Frog, how do u think his paymasters wud feel if he hadnt celebrated. Or the sunderland supporters. its called winning and losing in sport , thats all.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:50 PM

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:51 PM

toon22

Hiya OP.

Mackem PR merchant.

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:51 PM

The very ones Jib 🙂

• toon22

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:52 PM

Munster

There’s a boat load of people who haven’t celebrated scoring against former clubs
    The traitor says he supports the toon ?

Give it a rest

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:53 PM

Isnt it about time Tarquin came on and gave us a lecture re a clubs identity and fanbase / club sociological perpective?
    Jib do you have that Viz link again ?

• toon22