web analytics

Newcastle Signing Doing His Part To Reach International Goal

It has shockingly been three years since Jetro Willems played a part internationally for the Netherlands. The left-back famously became the youngest player to play in the European Championships when he started against Denmark in June of 2012. He had just turned 18 a few months earlier.

Over the next four years, Willems made 22 appearances for the Dutch national team. However, due to some serious knee injuries and a slip in form when he moved to Frankfurt in 2017, it’s been silent on the international front for the 25-year-old. His last appearance was a 6-minute cameo against France in a World Cup qualifier in October of 2016.

When Jetro first came to Newcastle, he mentioned his desire to get called up for the Netherlands again. It played a significant role in his decision to come to Newcastle, where he would get first-team football in the World’s most prestigious league. Most importantly, he has been deployed in his preferred position of left-back.

This is how Jetro responded when asked if he wanted to play at left-back for Newcastle during his first interview:

“Yes, if I want to reach my goals and want to play for the national team again.

“In my former club, I played in the midfield. In the national team in the midfield, it’s quite busy. They have good players playing there.

“So on the left side, it’s also my strength. So if I want to reach my goals, I want to play there.”

So far, so good for Jetro. He’s made 8 starts on the left for Newcastle, and he is showing what a talent he is. We have to believe that he is knocking on Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman’s door for a call-up. He’s been just so impressive for Newcastle over the past few months.

Jetro’s path internationally is currently blocked by Ajax’s Daley Blind. The former Manchester United player has started all of the Netherlands’ Euro qualifiers at left-back. That is despite Blind playing as a center-back or defensive midfielder for Ajax.

Crystal Palace’s Patrick van Aanholt is also ahead of Willems in his nation’s pecking order. The former-Magpie is again in the squad for this week’s qualifiers, but the 29-year-old has not had a cap in over a year.

If Jetro can keep putting in the performances like he did on Saturday for Newcastle, maybe he can get back into the Euros a full eight years after he became the youngest player in that competition.

The Netherlands currently top Group C in qualification. They play Northern Ireland on Saturday and then Estonia next Tuesday. It would be quite a treat this summer to watch Jetro play in the Euros, especially if he signs for Newcastle permanently.

• toon22

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:54 PM

Jabba is giving away match day tickets
    It will end our club

Let’s stay positive though things are great

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:56 PM

Frog some people react in different ways. Im not going to hang them for it. Well, unless it was the orange ex palace chairman or someone. It doesnt mean he hated NUFC for goodness sake. He’s from Corby and said he always supported NUFC. Jib said thats a strongold. Thats good enough for me.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:59 PM

Born in Corbridge
    (at a very young age)
    brought up in Daisy Hill
    used to drink in the Stack and the Scrogg

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM

Hail wor Ashely, tks I agree

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM

Excuse me Jib ?

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:03 PM

Job, Munster changing too on the pitch . Larkham the new Aussie coach is having an effect. I think we could contend again this year.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:03 PM

Not feeling much charity here today – still it’s rare to be hunted in such large packs ha ha I suppose I should enjoy the attention 😀

All this “plastic fan”, “Tarquin” “buffoon” stuff came in it of what? Me asking what giving Bruce a chance actually meant. Apart from a coupl of answers pointed squarely at Ashley’s prescribed mediocrity Ive got nothing but demands I accept Bruce on his glowing record!

If still like to get an answer from an appreciable amount of bloggers but it seems the majority are too scared to actually say what they want or even expect. That’s because if they say “safety” or mid table” or ” good run in a cup” it will be obvious who the intimidated lemmings are.

I’m absolutely certain going on what I’ve read that right now if Tony Pulis was here plugging out the off win and grinding toward the safety of the lower end he’d be accepted universally. The Ashley circus groans on.

Btw if I was a plastic fan I wouldn’t spend the snippets of time I could spare expressing my disappointment in this shambolic club setup, I’d bale on this blog and be off to support Man City wouldn’t I? Carry on with the jibes though, it’s a sure sign it’s the last of your ammo.

Oh and the avatar stays until something significantly good happens. If Bruce actually turns the tables on Ashley and achieves something tangible, I’ll gladly doff my cap. But not until then, because for now he still looks like the patsy he was hired as.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:03 PM

Aye Jib…….. Looks like you far right.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:05 PM

betty
    I’m a natural blonde

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:09 PM

Jeezus, how many of those on today have pulled the bully card on people, you’ve rounded on Tsunki like a pack of hyena’s today.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:11 PM

“Jail for Ashley
    you’ve rounded on Tsunki like a pack of hyena’s today.”

Probably something to do with his c**tishness

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:12 PM

Munster Mag

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:10 AM

Spot on robbie boy. Jail is a total bully and a weasel.
    footin hypocrite

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:15 PM

Can Munster not see the absurdity of his post ”yeah Real, Liverpool or Chelsea wouldn’t want Rafa” he put me in mind of Rick from the Young Ones in his yellow dungarees prancing about. Those three, who are on a different footballing planet than us wouldn’t want him but we were lucky enough to have him here over a guy who Sheff Utd and Villa wouldn’t have back, Jeezus wept on the Holy Mary.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:16 PM

Never mind Jail
    we can pick on you now
    at least Tsunki can construct a decent sentence

• Nufc-83

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:19 PM

I still would like to see an answer from you bleatin on what Bruce would have to achieve working in the current climate to be labelled a success?

As I have said previously I certainly have a lot of doubts about Bruce’s ability but I would suggest anything even close to mid table would be a solid season in which he could build from.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:20 PM

Tsunki………… I think at the moment due to the unexpected results and the promise of St Max etc. there is very little appetite for protest. I m sure this has played right into Ashley’s hands and given him some undeserved respite but the time to give him maximum grief was when Bruce was first appointed. For whatever reason there wasn’t enough support behind boycotts / protests and the storm appears to have been weathered for the time being.

The general feeling at the moment appears to be one of resignment until we either go on a long losing run and look like getting relegated or Ashley finally sells up and gives us some fresh hope.

• Sports Direct FC

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:23 PM

See that its a day of no criticism allowed. Mob mentality has kicked in sensing blood in the water.

I keep reading that posters want Bruce to fail and NUFC to lose every week. While I will admit I have not read every single post since Bruce was hired, I haven’t seen 1 person say they want us to lose. So those of you that keep claiming that please..please show me who that is.

A lot think Bruce is a shite manager, I am one of them, but don’t see the so called “not a true fan” calling for us to lose. We have done well the last few matches…credit to all, but aren’t these the teams we should be beating? Shouldn’t we be winning at St. James? Bruce has earned a little more time with the latest results but don’t be surprised if NUFC fall down the table just as fast as we have climbed it.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:23 PM

resignation
    you tool

• Sports Direct FC

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:26 PM

Jib

Never mind Jail
    we can pick on you now

Yes Jib this is about all you and your group can offer. Seems you haven’t learned anything from your hiatus. Perhaps just call people names and offer nothing that has to do with footy…..wait that’s what you do now.

• jane

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:28 PM

2 wins in a row and mid-table means…we’re green!!

• Sports Direct FC

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:33 PM

Bleatin n Bruced

Glad to see you are brushing off the bullies. Consider it a badge of honor and continue to expect it as long as you don’t toe the party (MA) line. Some of us have already been through it. It is laughable that the supposed “fair and balanced” posters are the ones that always launch personal attacks when you don’t agree with them.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:35 PM

Wow this is head banging stuff. What does Bruce have to do “in the current climate”? You don’t get it do you? There shouldn’t be a current climate, that climate is Ashley’s making and Bruce came straight into that climate knowing exactly what he had to weather.

I’ll say it again. I support nufc. I support the players. I’m glad for every win because it will be done despite Ashley’s tinkering.

But I won’t support Ashley, and he will never do anything to change that be side he has a long track record.

I won’t support his pet pooch coach Bruce, UNLESS he achieves something significant and turns the tables on Ashley by demanding success and the proper ambition this club deserves.

• Our Toon

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:35 PM

Can we all not just get on instead of the constantly bickering and having a mob mentality!! This place has got worse, reminds me of why I stepped away.

Used to enjoy coming on here to debate football, now it’s anything but football talk, just groups that have agendas with each other

• bettyswallocks

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:35 PM

Resignation indeed. What a tool I am.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Ha ha SDFC yeah well noticed about the “Fair and Balanced” crew being anything but. 🙂

• Nufc-83

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Ok what is something significant would top 8 finish be considered significant?

• bettyswallocks

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:42 PM

Our Toon……….. This isn’t the Nell Gwynne Tea Rooms, it’s a place for robust debate.

• Sports Direct FC

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:42 PM

Nufc 83

Tough question, I think most of us ( I did) believed that if Rafa stayed we should finish in the top 10 so something significant would have to be better? Not quite sure.

• Sports Direct FC

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:43 PM

betty

Can’t debate with those that shout you down the second you disagree them

• geordietom

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:45 PM

Was a monkey really hanged in Hartlepool?
    According to local folklore, the term originates from an incident in which a monkey was hanged in Hartlepool, England. During the Napoleonic Wars, a French ship of the type chasse marée was wrecked in a storm off the coast of Hartlepool.

• Nufc-83

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:47 PM

Sports yes not an easy question but for me I thought Bruce would have us relegated so if he finished mid table that would be a successful season and would allow him to build. Whatever happens we will never challenge the top 6 while Ashley is around.

• Sports Direct FC

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:56 PM

Nufc 83

I had us just avoiding relegation at 17th. I think its important to distinguish what a successful season for the team and for Bruce is….because I don’t think they are the same. For example 17th is a successful season for Bruce, IMO, because he didn’t get us relegated but not one for the team. I think top ten would be a successful season for the team as it builds on the last two years and think most on here would have expected that with Rafa in charge.

• Nufc-83

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:00 PM

Sports I think that’s a pretty fair answer to be honest.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:01 PM

You know the saddest part of this situation? where a contingent of fans will see Bruce finishing 12th??? as a victory over those who didn’t think he’d manage it. Where is the victory in that, Ashley will have shown us you don’t need a fancy manager with big ideas merely to exist in the league. Rafa spent three years moulding a team that was steadily getting better, now we have a group of fans so quick to diss him and use this season’s better start against him. Within a season or three that hard working team will be sold, moved on or retired and replaced with the vision of Mike Ashley and Lee Churnley just as it was before. A team built on players using the club as a stepping stone with the successes sold and the ones nobody else wants stuck here on five year deals, so enjoy Bruce’s “attacking” football while it lasts.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:05 PM

Allow him to build on what, Pardew, who won most of us round finished fifth, what was he allowed to build? Who two seasons later had us comfortably in tenth by January two seasons later and was rewarded with his star player being sold, not replaced and effectively told to down tools for the second half of the season. Rafa was chased out the door because he wanted to build, has history taught you all nothing, how on earth is Bruce going to be allowed to build?

• Online Guy

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:08 PM

Iv scanned over most of the comments regarding Bruce, my thoughts are he inherited Rafas Players and team, a team that wanted to continue with Rafas successful defensive stratergy and told Bruce so when his tactics were going tits up early doors, it manifested itself in a bit of player power showing Bruce up as weak and devoid of what the hell to do when things were going wrong on the pitch.

Anyway they have worked it out now with Rafas defenders supplying the goals that has got Bruce out of Jail for the present .

I await the next implosion as it’s sure to come about when Rafas defenders stop scoring ..Bruce is riding his luck and long may that luck continue but I doubt it .

In fact let’s nail this debate with a vote …

If a new owner came in with £200 million quid for new players who would you rather entrust that £200 million to ?

RAFA ?
    Or
    BRUCE. ?

I will lay a bet now that Rafa will come out on top with 70% plus of your vote .

Not knocking anyone who supports Bruce ..fair play he’s a good bloke .

Rafa or Bruce with £200 million ..who do you entrust ? .

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:08 PM

I seen Munster having a go at Rafa once for finishing tenth and then only 13th, he either chose to ignore that we had more points and more goals the second time or he’s too stupid to realise that despite our league position we actually improved, the fact that other teams around us vastly improved while we made a 20M profit had a lot to do with our final position.

• Sports Direct FC

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:09 PM

Jail

It is amazing what MA has accomplished in 12 years. Fans just happy to get by. Accepting mediocrity with no plan to build for the future. I think Bruce takes a lot crap, maybe at times undeserving, not because of who he is but because of what he represents, a pawn in MA’s game. We will continue to float season to season until MA is gone. So sad.

• Sports Direct FC

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:11 PM

Jail @ 77

Don’t talk with logic you will make some heads explode.

• Online Guy

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:13 PM

Rob

I respect your take on it all ..iv had a good read ..Very fair. Tsunki opinions also ..spot on.

Good balanced debate then I wade in to open up a can of w…

I see you have popped me in the PR team ..ha ha ..tongue in Cheek I suspect.