web analytics

Newcastle Signing Doing His Part To Reach International Goal

It has shockingly been three years since Jetro Willems played a part internationally for the Netherlands. The left-back famously became the youngest player to play in the European Championships when he started against Denmark in June of 2012. He had just turned 18 a few months earlier.

Over the next four years, Willems made 22 appearances for the Dutch national team. However, due to some serious knee injuries and a slip in form when he moved to Frankfurt in 2017, it’s been silent on the international front for the 25-year-old. His last appearance was a 6-minute cameo against France in a World Cup qualifier in October of 2016.

When Jetro first came to Newcastle, he mentioned his desire to get called up for the Netherlands again. It played a significant role in his decision to come to Newcastle, where he would get first-team football in the World’s most prestigious league. Most importantly, he has been deployed in his preferred position of left-back.

This is how Jetro responded when asked if he wanted to play at left-back for Newcastle during his first interview:

“Yes, if I want to reach my goals and want to play for the national team again.

“In my former club, I played in the midfield. In the national team in the midfield, it’s quite busy. They have good players playing there.

“So on the left side, it’s also my strength. So if I want to reach my goals, I want to play there.”

So far, so good for Jetro. He’s made 8 starts on the left for Newcastle, and he is showing what a talent he is. We have to believe that he is knocking on Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman’s door for a call-up. He’s been just so impressive for Newcastle over the past few months.

Jetro’s path internationally is currently blocked by Ajax’s Daley Blind. The former Manchester United player has started all of the Netherlands’ Euro qualifiers at left-back. That is despite Blind playing as a center-back or defensive midfielder for Ajax.

Crystal Palace’s Patrick van Aanholt is also ahead of Willems in his nation’s pecking order. The former-Magpie is again in the squad for this week’s qualifiers, but the 29-year-old has not had a cap in over a year.

If Jetro can keep putting in the performances like he did on Saturday for Newcastle, maybe he can get back into the Euros a full eight years after he became the youngest player in that competition.

The Netherlands currently top Group C in qualification. They play Northern Ireland on Saturday and then Estonia next Tuesday. It would be quite a treat this summer to watch Jetro play in the Euros, especially if he signs for Newcastle permanently.

• Nufc-83

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:14 PM

OLG I think you have misunderstood everyone as nobody from what I understand believes Bruce is better than Rafa so no need for a vote on it given the choice who we all want.

• Online Guy

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:14 PM

I can feel the bus moving …

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:14 PM

Nufc83 I don’t disagree at all that we will never challenge the top with Ashley. Nor will we be troubled buying silver polish.

• Nufc-83

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:15 PM

It’s clear who we would all want*

• bettyswallocks

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:15 PM

SDFC……….. Just stand your ground and stick by your opinion lad.

Most of the shouting down is only a load of old bluster. Mainly from Munster. Lol.

• Online Guy

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:16 PM

Nufc-83

I’m at large and busy drawing someone out.

Not everyone thinks pro Rafa .

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:18 PM

Jail , tsunki got a pasting because his views are stupid. He has a stupid red avatar and he us well able to dose out the bullying. He hounded that danish bloke but the danish guy ( cant recall name) ran rings around him but eventually left, no doubt tired of arguing with people who are totallt fixed in their viewpoints. Tsunki made the mistake of publicly saying that he wudnt tolerate SB until he won something. Which is just silly. Now he is squirming and changing to the position that he cant accept the man because he accepted ashleys agenda. Im sorry but thats also stupid. He wants to manage nufc, to give it a go. So he has to work under Fats. Its just the way of it. Get over it. And dump the avatar for goodness sake.

• Online Guy

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:18 PM

Iv scanned over most of the comments regarding Bruce, my thoughts are he inherited Rafas Players and team, a team that wanted to continue with Rafas successful defensive stratergy and told Bruce so when his tactics were going tits up early doors, it manifested itself in a bit of player power showing Bruce up as weak and devoid of what the hell to do when things were going wrong on the pitch.

Anyway they have worked it out now with Rafas defenders supplying the goals that has got Bruce out of Jail for the present .

I await the next implosion as it’s sure to come about when Rafas defenders stop scoring ..Bruce is riding his luck and long may that luck continue but I doubt it .

In fact let’s nail this debate with a vote …

If a new owner came in with £200 million quid for new players who would you rather entrust that £200 million to ?

RAFA ?
    Or
    BRUCE. ?

I will lay a bet now that Rafa will come out on top with 70% plus of your vote .

Not knocking anyone who supports Bruce ..fair play he’s a good bloke .

Rafa or Bruce with £200 million ..who do you entrust ? .

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:19 PM

I agre with Tsunki, there should never have been an opportunity for ‘this climate’ to be accaeptable and understood.

But it has always been that way under Ashley. Bruce new exactly what climate he was coming in to, as did every other manager that has come in pretty much. To hang Bruce out for doing that should mean Rafa got the same when he didn’t walk after an underwhelming summer following promotion.

Bruce should be supported by all fans, and criticised by all fans when neccessary. Same as every manager in football should be willing to accept praise and criticism in equal measure when deserving. Preferably in a constructive capacity mind.

A couple of wins shouldn’t mean the appetite for protest against Ashley dissipates. A couple of wins doesn’t change the mediocrity the club is mired in under Ashley.

People could separate the 2 under Rafa. They should be able to do the same under Bruce. At least until a time where we sell Schaar, the Longstaff’s and the pitch itself, and Bruce says that it is a great deal for thw club as without the pitch we had no need for Schaar or the longstaffs, and that money can be invested in grass seed.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:20 PM

Knew* and probably plenty of other typos. One day I’ll learn to type properly on my phone.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:23 PM

OLG,
    If a new owner came in? Why limit it to Rafa or Bruce? There are better than both that would jump at the chance if a new wealthy ambitious owner joined.

• RobLeenio

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:28 PM

Tsunki I agree that the crap flung your way this afternoon was ridiculous, I’m sorry for my part in it, though I was just debating with you and enjoying it.

That said, the reason you got me on your case was twofold.

First you asked your question re success criteria for Bruce then gave a really sniffy response to my answer. No real surprise nobody else took you up on it, given your reaction to the answers you received.

Second, when I suggested we define success for Bruce as matching what we would reasonably expect from Rafa this season and asked you what that would have been, you refused to answer.

How about this? Under the same constraints as Bruce is under, I reckon Rafa would have been aiming for eighth to tenth place and a cup run of some kind.

If Bruce achieves that, I think he’ll have done well and there will be measurable progress from last season.

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM

Betty my views are fair. And balanced. Rafa was not a god and deserved criticism but thd overall picture was good. SB has a weak managerial background so we are just hoping. I praised him for man u and critucised him fir norwich. See? Balanced. Well done.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:34 PM

Haven’t read through all of today, but looking at some comments it does appear Tsunki got a bit of a pasting. I don’t think Tsunki’s views are quite in line with my own, but I wouldn’t say he is anything other than another passionate fan who wants the best for the club, even if he see’s some of acheiving that differently to me.

Name calling happens on both sides, and is part and parcel of a blog like this. But going over the top is happening more and more often and is wholly uncalled for!

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:37 PM

Jail – Rafa spent three years moulding a team that was steadily getting better, now we have a group of fans so quick to diss him and use this season’s better start against him.

Who are the group of fans quick to diss Rafa.

I don’r see any on here.

What I see is the likes of you either directly or indirectly dissing Bruce,. constantly bemoaning the loss of Rafa and downgrading any NUFC points/wins to being basically Rafa’s team and nowt to do with the supposed numpty traitor Bruce.

Beeaten Bleatin Tsunki started alot of today’s posts mentioning Rada by making a mug of himself by falsely saying Bruce’s start t as being a mile behind Rafa’s end to last season.

I’ve not read any posts dissing Rafa, I’ve said umpteen times and again today I’d have him over Bruce any day, but you decide to interpret any mention of his name in a post as dissing – a total whitewash by you.

Any debate with you is impossible, if I told you I liked eggs you’d call me a chicken killer.

• Online Guy

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:40 PM

Ok lilongwe..

It was just to get a snippet of info as to who a small percentage of the fan base here would prefer between the two afore mentioned managers as it’s those two particular people that are subject of the current debate .. Nothing to do with any other Gaffa out there currently out of work .

You have brought to mind that Mouhrino is sat in the wings twiddling his thumbs but that would be almost impossible as Mouhrino is not a yes man and would only go to a club with ambition .

One look at Mike Ashleys ambition for Newcastle United ..(none) and you know what the answer would be .

Ashley got rid of a World Class manager who wanted to take Newcastle United on to the next stage and Ashley did not want that .

Any thoughts on Steve Bruce not being a yes man and not conforming to Ashleys polices would be wrong .

Glasgow Rangers rape on shirt sales by Ashley and the selling of Strawberry place by Ashley for
    £9 million pounds, is the extent of Ashleys ambition ..that and making and milking more money

The man is a disgrace.

I think some people are now loosing sight of the big picture here because of a couple of scraped nervy wins.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:45 PM

Bills Son Is Back eats babies for breakfast.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:48 PM

OLG,
    People shouldn’t be losing sight of Ashley as being a huge problem for the club. But Bruce doing well should be a cause for some positivity on field, keeping the focus on negativity off field.

They are 2 separate issues, and were viewed as that with Rafa. Why not Bruce.

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:48 PM

Rob the long and the short of it is that FOR NOW, SB is doing at least as well as rafa with an untested front line. And the football is a bit better. And the injury list isnt a disaster or his fault. And thats not the narrative that Les Mis wanted. Thats about it in a nutshell.

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:48 PM

Jail,

Correct I do.

Jelly babies.

I imagine they are you and bite the heads off.

The rest I feed to my two springer spaniels.

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:50 PM

Munster – you’ve summed it up in a nutshell.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:51 PM

Bills Son is Back, heart from me for that 😀

• bettyswallocks

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:57 PM

OLG………..I dont think anyone has lost sight of the big picture and the vast majority would love to seeAshley sell up. It’s obvious nothing of any note will happen on the sporting front whilst he’s still here.

The problem is now we are all weary of failed takeovers and hearing how much Ashley hates us and is leeching from and neglecting the club. Until someone organises a serious campaign to oust him with organised and sustained support then unfortunately we are stuck with him until he decides to sell up.

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:58 PM

Lil I think its crazy that people are hanging the guy for managing sunderland. Sure its not ideal but it is what it is.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:58 PM

Munster – by “Danish Guy ” you mean jesper? I don’t recall ever getting pasted by him or hounding him out so that’s lie one.

Second fib is I’ve changed my view to that of Bruce being Ashley’s puppet. What happened to your memory? Ive always said that.

Stick with the Tarquin jibes but don’t screw your eyes up because you’re missing what’s been posted and not remembering it correctly.

Old Bill – you’re a grumpy wiry old dog ha ha have you lost already so you’re resorting to “Beaten Bleating”? Oh dear. You know if someone is beaten it’s evident. You don’t have to keep throwing the idea around to make it stick.

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:00 PM

Betty we all know that the Fat Man is the issue. That doesn’t mean we hang the manager .we hang him for 10 norwich displays.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:03 PM

Munster ……… It must be a strain for you trying to follow three forms of football and still give a balanced opinion, particularly when one version incorporates aspects of both other versions with a bit of basketball thrown in for good measure.

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:03 PM

Tsunki you spent a day harassing him to admit something. I cant remember the finer details. Now can u clarify what u expect from bruce. Your cup winning expectations are ridiculously out of touch with reality. If I had said same re benitez u wudnt accept it.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:04 PM

Munster,
    It doesn’t bother me he managed Sunderland, in the same way it doesn’t bother me that Venison, Bracewell, Yedlin, Manquillo etc. played for them.

I can understand their being a level of dislike due to his time there, but it should have been something that has passed by now as he is here, and not doing too badly.

• RobLeenio

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:10 PM

Online guy “Any thoughts on Steve Bruce not being a yes man and not conforming to Ashleys polices would be wrong.”

I think you’re stating your opinion as if it’s accepted fact. I don’t think Bruce is a yes man, though I think he was daft to throw his lot in with Ashley.

He has to conform to Ashley’s policies, it’s his boss. He’s never done so lightly throughout his entire career, however.

I do think he likely hopes that Ashley will be off soon so he can manage the club to its potential. Whether that happens or not is anyone’s guess.

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Oh yes I do.

Beaten Bleatin.

• Online Guy

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:55 PM

Rob leenio

I agree with you on a lot of your post and what you say #110..its just I’m driven by emotions at times whenever I think of how Ashley has blighted the club..

Looking back I have indeed said that Bruce is not a complete yes man and there will be a line that Ashley cannot cross with him because of his big Geordie Heart and pride..

I think a lot of comment here is driven because of supporters distaste of Ashley ..dare I say hatred ? I hesitated to do so because it’s a nasty thing to do and be part of but Ashley has a lot to answer for .

I actually detest him for selling the Land at Strawberry place and that one thing has bothered me more than any defeats and scrapping it out at the wrong end of the league because of his austerity measures and LIES and seemingly only existing as a secondary concern to drive Sports Direct ..Ashley can leave for that one Strawberry Place reason alone .

Newcastle City Council need scrutinizing over the Disgraceful decision to allow planning permission .

Do you know that there was a 6 month window to either pass or deny that permission ? And they went well over six months . Either Ashley or the developers would have had to cancel the whole initially transaction.

Somethings not right ..something stinks.