web analytics

Newcastle Under-21s And Two Loan Lads In Action In Leasing.com Trophy

Newcastle’s Under-21 side traveled to face Port Vale in the Leasing.com Trophy match this afternoon. Unfortunately, the lads fell 2-1 to a late Port Vale goal and have lost all of their three games in the competition. However, young Elliot Anderson, who signed his first professional contract last week, was able to score his first goal at this level for Newcastle.

Dan Barlaser got his second straight start for Rotherham United in their 3-0 defeat at Lincoln City. Dan completed the entire match for the fourth time since joining Rotherham on loan. The Millers bow out of the Leasing.com Trophy with the loss.

Elias Sorensen was handed just his fourth start of the season for Carlisle in this afternoon’s 3-1 loss at Morecambe in the Leasing.com Trophy. It was the 20-year-old’s third start in the competition. Elias got a full ninety minutes under his belt, but he was unable to get his first goal on loan. Carlisle are eliminated from the competition.

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:24 PM

some of our recruitment people…

“First Team Player Recruitment Analyst Kevin Metcalfe and First Team Scouting and Recruitment consultant Samuel Chesney-Benson, who help compile target lists for Steve Nickson.”

• beermonkey

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:31 PM

OP

he has a new cap (laird)

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:38 PM

If Bruce does okay this term, and it’s looking on the cards, then we can strengthen again in subsequent windows and push into the top ten.

He’s lucky that he has Rafa’s legacy to build upon, but even so the opportunity is very much there now, Rafa or not, to consolidate and progress.

Ashley won’t do things right, the way Rafa wanted, but if Nickson is as good as is claimed, and Ashley simply reinvests the clubs profits in a timely manner, with Bruce having final say on ins and outs, then because of our size and following we are a top ten proposition for sure, 8th, 9th or 10th.

It really isn’t rocket science. It’s just a question of maintaining a squad with appropriate quality, depth and balance and strengthening gradually and appropriately.

He’d be nuts not to see that, after all the mistakes he’s made, but how many times has that been said on here.

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:39 PM

Ludwig Francillette signed in August but only started playing for the U23s in the last few weeks.

wonder if this has anything to do with Neil Redfearn’s departure.

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:40 PM

our recruitment seems a lot more professional now and has been good the last couple of seasons.

• lochinvar

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:42 PM

and the mackems lost 3-0 to Scunnthorpe on a drich damp November night
    that would be fun for them

• RobLeenio

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM

There’s a great Jamaal Lascelles compilation on YouTube.

Proper beast

• RobLeenio

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:47 PM

Lol Loch – I note the misspelling of the name of the latest team to squish the Mackems and I know that it’s because the blog would block that post otherwise.

๐Ÿ˜ณ

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:52 PM

Why is it “on the cards” that Bruce will do “okay” and why exactly is “okay” okay? We are a dozen games in, barely a third of the way through and the assumption that we are on a long winning streak is a bit premature isn’t it? And “backing”? What form will that take? Surely a different one from the last dozen years? I think before we get optimistic the season should wear on a bit, you know – see how it pans out.

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:54 PM

is there a compilation of Almiron’s goal scoring opportunities? i think he misses on purpose for fun ๐Ÿ™‚

• beermonkey

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:55 PM

nicky

nowt will change
    we have nickson i might be wrong but think rafa employed or promoted him rafa trusted him
    was it nickson that recommended we pay 40 mill for joelinton i am not so sure on that but i like what i have reaad on nickson

there are other people in the background in my opinion i dont think we will build we might see a little more investment to make up for the manager and coaching weaknesses
    i think its same ole same ole

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:02 PM

“I think before we get optimistic”

hope i haven’t turned my gravatar green too prematurely!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:04 PM

It is very possible he’ll do okay, ie mid table finish, given the way he has the side set up now and running around for each other, so yeah it is “on the cards”………and 8th, 9th or 10th is okay too. Not great, by any means, or even particularly good, for a club of our size and support, but okay, particularly if we provide value for money on the match day ticket. That’s surely a realistic take on us under Ashley and Bruce. I don’t see us doing better than that, but “okay” as I’ve described it is on, largely due to the work Rafa and his team put in.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:07 PM

“it’s very possible” is a lot more plausible Nicky. That fits with “okay” as you say.

• RobLeenio

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:08 PM

jane, ask and ye shall receive.

๐Ÿ˜‰

• JohnJ

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:13 PM

I’m always delighted when Newcastle United win….

It’s good to see the team in a slightly more comfortable league position but it’s still early days.

We’ll see how we’re standing after another eight games or so to see if the optimism is justified or not. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:15 PM

I wonder if there’s a correlation between our CB’s succumbing to injuries and our continuing combo of whack a mole defending and pushing up to score with the same players? ๐Ÿ˜

• Munster Mag

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:16 PM

Rafa is gone tsunki, no doubt lured by the larger salary to help his wifes foundation. Get used to it. Historically we have had managers like jack charlton, the bald eagle, willie mc faul, souness, along with the two legends of kk and BR. In other words, not the best. We all want whats best , but jumping up and down and saying u wont accept SB until he proves himself by winning u a cup, is quite simply, the actions of a seriously lightweight nufc fan.

• Munster Mag

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:18 PM

Tsunki thats truly pathetic. Clutching at straws. Awful.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:20 PM

Bruce definitely needs to sort out the sitting back and two rows of defenders lark, we need to sit further forward and sweep the ball around midfield more to take the relentless pressure off. It’s ok for a while getting your fb’s to bounce up and down the field for a short while but they can’t spend a whole season uninjured doing that.

• Munster Mag

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM

Asm, not remotely in ginola’s league. Ginola on the left of a front three at real Madrid? Probsbly what he deserved. Not spurs ffs ๐Ÿ™‚

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM

thanks RobLeenio i had faith ๐Ÿ™‚ perhaps that will be more goals for Paraguay coming up for the next compilation.

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:24 PM

“to help his wifes foundation”

i don’t usually correct people’s grammar but this one makes a big difference!

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:24 PM

Munster I just landed here tonight hoping some buffoon from the emerald Isle wouldn’t come on and start up with his childish claptrap. Bubble burst though eh? If you scan up the page though I didn’t mention Rafa, so why oh why are you still flapping your clappers about it? I’m talking current state of play, nothing sensational, I dont need the attention of a boorish oaf hovering over my posts drooling like a mangy dog over a bag of sausages.

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:28 PM

time for the night shift soon. the night shift are great!

• Munster Mag

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:29 PM

Crikey its just as well we arent doing worse tsunki or u wudnt shut up , at all. He has had luck (west ham are awful, for example) but we are playing fast counter attacking football with a low scoring front 3 and a waste if 40mill at striker . But its not bad and good on him I say. For now anyway.

• Munster Mag

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:32 PM

Tsunki i’m a realist who understands football and has reasonable expectations. You are a verbose bore who brandishes sunderland colours on here. Get a life.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:39 PM

Minster, despite your hump like insistence on chipping away at me, I will engage you with this question – do you think we can carry on with this style of play the whole season successfully, and if so what confidence have you that our defensive players will be able to stay fit when doing 80% of the team work?

It’s actually a constructive and concerned question if you care not to be a complete buttock.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:40 PM

Sorry about he Minster typo.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:44 PM

The colours stay for the moment. I have promised to revert to one of my old avatars if Mr B slaps Ashley on the thighs with a treacherous backhander and says “sorry Mikey, Europe we come!” And at that time I will doff my cap and exclaim “Well Mr Bruce, you have indeed made me look quite the fool!” In my best affected Tarquin lilt. ๐Ÿ™‚ Up until then he is what he came here as. A patsy.

• The Wife

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:46 PM

Am I the only one that thinks there’s absolutely zero appeal and/or prestige in something called the Leasing.com Trophy? I mean, really. I honestly don’t think I could brag about winning the Leasing.com Trophy with a straight face. What an abomination.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:50 PM

Munster Junior – “dad, can I turn it over to Nickelodeon I don’t understand what theyre doing with this funny shaped ball?”

Munster – “suck it up you tool Rafa’s gone he sold out and went to China..”

Baby Munster – ” gargle burble blub blub glub booble daaa”

Munster – “I’ve forgotten more than you know about footy little Mr Tiny Hands you complete know nowt – cute little baby my @ยฃ&#..”

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:51 PM

The Wife – I am totally glad YOU said it ha ha ๐Ÿ˜€

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:51 PM

it hasn’t had the most awe-inspiring names over the years

Sponsors
    (1983/84) No Sponsor
    (1984/85โ€“1986/87) Freight Rover Trophy
    (1987/88โ€“1988/89) Sherpa Van Trophy
    (1989/90โ€“1991/92) Leyland DAF Cup
    (1992/93โ€“1993/94) Autoglass Trophy
    (1994/95โ€“1999/2000) Auto Windscreens Shield
    (2000/01โ€“2006/07) LDV Vans Trophy
    (2007/08โ€“2015/16) Johnstone’s Paint Trophy
    (2016/17โ€“2018/19) Checkatrade Trophy
    (2019/20โ€“Present) Leasing.com Trophy

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:52 PM

I would have gotten a ban. Well maybe not for that. ๐Ÿ˜

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:53 PM

Johnstone’s Paint was my favourite. One of Pards crowning achievements. And a top textured masonry paint for Trade use. Good value too.

• Munster Mag

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:57 PM

Tsunki grow up man or go to bed and stop bringing family football support onto the blog. I know u are beinf facetious but….OP, a seriously dim fool, thinks my kid liking liverpool ahead of the toon means that I am a bad parent! I’ll anwer your question tomorrow or later if I can.

• Munster Mag

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:58 PM

Super work jane ๐Ÿ™‚

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:58 PM

Can you imagine telling your grand kids as you lean against the fireplace, whisky in one hand and your free hand slid into your waistcoat pocket ” You know, I remember the day we won the No Sponsor Trophy. I was fifth choice for man of the match you know, played all the first half….. Dagenham & Redbridge were at their peak at the time….”

• jane

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:59 PM

thanks Munster Mag. we’ve done a good hand-over to the night shift. where are they!