web analytics

Newcastle Flyer Touches On Key To Newcastle’s Recent Success

DeAndre Yedlin scored Newcastle’s equalizer on Saturday for his first goal in over a year. Yedlin last scored in August of 2018 against Chelsea in a 1-2 defeat at St James Park. It was also just Yedlin’s third goal for Newcastle since joining in the summer of 2016.

While a Yedlin goal is somewhat of a rare treat, a goal by a Newcastle defender has not been this season. In fact, Newcastle defenders have scored 7 of the team’s 11 goals in the league this season. No other team’s defense has scored over a quarter of their total goals.

However, it’s not just the defenders contributing in front of goal that has Newcastle turning their fortunes around of late. It’s the attackers who put in a shift at the defensive end that are also paying dividends.

Speaking in the Athletic, DeAndre Yedlin touched on how both attackers and defenders have played a part at each end of the pitch lately:

“We’re definitely rediscovering the defensive solidity we have had for the past couple of seasons.

“If there’s one thing this team has always strived for, it’s being defensively strong. Everyone contributes defensively, that’s exactly the kind of team we are.

“In order to be the best we can be, we all have to do everything together; be that attacking or defending. There are no individuals in this team.

“What goes unnoticed is how much defensive work the attacking guys are doing for the team.”

We’ve seen the work our center-backs have done in the final third, especially on set-pieces. We also witness the effort that players like Miguel Almiron and Joelinton put in on the defensive side. It’s Almiron’s willingness to track back that allows Yedlin to bomb forward so often.

While our front three have not quite met the standard required in getting the goals, their tireless work rate is a key aspect of Newcastle’s recent success.

They seem to be edging closer to unlocking the door to their potential. Allan Saint-Maximin and Miguel Almiron are getting close to bagging their first Newcastle goals. Just as importantly, Joelinton got more than three shots away against Bournemouth.

The dynamic trio have yet to put it all together, but the progress is starting to show. Once they do, we can hopefully see some comfortable wins soon. Eking out these one-goal victories is a little hard to take on a regular basis.

• The overrated Frenchman

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:13 AM

Jib, that last post of yours is a masterpiece of the “pot calling the kettle black”.

• RobLeenio

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:16 AM

Jib “a US sports person is allowed 6 months in the UK without a visa”

Does that not mean that they’d have to still fit the criteria for a work permit once the 6 months are up? Seems a bit of a risk to offer a player a 3 year contract on the basis that they may hit the required targets within 6 months. What if they got injured?

Not arguing, just curious as to how that works.

• RobLeenio

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:18 AM

Maybe bad electrician jokes would work too?

Two atoms were walking down the street.
    Atom One: Oh no – I’ve lost an electron!
    Atom two: Are you sure?
    Atom one: Yes… I’m positive.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:18 AM

Munster

Can you go a day without mentioning Rafa or myself?

You’re the fool who brings his family on to the blog.

It’s a damn shame you’re not as committed to your family as you are at trolling this blog.

• Jib

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:30 AM

Rob
    You get him in for a look-see
    If he fits the bill the legal folk then
    provide documentation proving he’s
    not taking a job that could be filled by
    a UK citizen

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM

Jiblets,
    It was the Wasps, I just remembered, so you honestly think that not knowing if the Wasps are currently good or not shows a breathtakingly lack of sporting knowledge. Who is the current lawn bowls workd champion. Somebody somewhere who doesn’t play lawn bowls will know the answer to that. However it doesn’t make you a sporting know nowt if you don’t know the answer either. Having very little or no interest in Rugby whatsoever does not make you a know nowt.

• Jib

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM

SBR had loads in for a looksee (trial) from S America
    None made the grade

• Mister Tuff

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:41 AM

Posters can have differences of opinion- debating or arguing about opinions is fine – no problems at all there.

But when completely eroneous information is posted as fact – it should be corrected.

You can see the main culprit, in the absence of any personally held facts explores the subject on Google and comes up with an interpretation/assessment which is completely wrong. The culprit needs to be corrected (as has happened on many occasions).

Jibs’ latest duff info post is about visas. Sports visitor rules do not apply to professional footballers. This is basic elementary stuff.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:44 AM

martoon,
    Ahe, I had a particularly good score this week. That Cantwell is pants mind, not sure how Norwich got off to such a good start, I watched that game on Friday night and they are woeful.

• Jib

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:44 AM

Jail for Ashley
    ” Having very little or no interest in Rugby ”

That begs the question
    Why t.f. go to Kingston Park ?

• Jib

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:46 AM

Mr Tuff
    Sports visitor rules do not apply to professional footballers.

wrong

so long as they are just on trial

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:48 AM

Hannibal,
    I agree what you’re saying about pace, it is a nightmare to defend against a pacy or powerful attacker. When you play against these types you go off exhausted, knowing you’ve had a game and have probably been left for dead a few times. But I’d rather play against one of these pacy/ strong players who tires you out, but fails to score than a guy who simply scores with every shot. I’ve played against some over weight players and you have nothing to do all game, real easy to mark, but they score 2 or 3 from half chances. A lot of pacy players you can just run them wide knowing they’ll fluff the cross.
    You can’t make a team with too many pacy players. They tend not to be good at linking up, passing, teamwork, and are more often than not terrible at shooting or crossing due to the speed they’re moving. I think every team should have one speed demon, but too many and the teams not balanced. To me the most important is the one pulling the strings, the ones who link everything together. The number 10 usually. Spurs have been shocking this year because Eriksen’s not controlling things.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:52 AM

Don’t want to brag or be a big head but I’m the best blogger on here.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:54 AM

Mister Tuff,
    Jib will post duff info like that guy on ITV from South Shields who he wikied, seen he went to Harton school and claimed he was from Westoe, he couldn’t be any further from Westoe, or that Craig Hope is a mackem. How many times has the bloke been found out yet still calls out posters knowledge???

• Jib

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:55 AM

Welshie
    Sorry you are 2nd
    Jail is the best (hours of entertainment)

• martoon

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:56 AM

Jail @49 – Yeah I think like a lot of promoted teams they got off to a flying start and then start to fade. I’m not sure if it’s winter pitches, squad depth or other teams suss them out or maybe a combination of all 3. It’s just a pity we played them in the first few games when they were flying and we hadn’t gelled yet.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:57 AM

Jib

Ha ha ha

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:59 AM

The next Mike Williamson,
    I think Vertonghen having relations with Eriksens Mrs has more to do with the situation.

• RobLeenio

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:01 AM

The next mike, not to disrespect your football experience, but I assume you’ve not played at professional level (just cos not many have). I think “A lot of pacy players you can just run them wide knowing they’ll fluff the cross” probably applies less the higher up the ability levels you get.

Besides, if the guy you’re running wide can’t cross very well, he’ll still win his fair share of free kicks and corners, which essentially passes on the crossing opportunity to your dead ball specialist but this time with more and bigger / stronger targets to aim for in the box, which is essentially what has led to our recent successes.

If that doesn’t happen, there’s always the fact that a strong and pacy runner will draw defenders to him, allowing space for a full / wing back to get the cross in following a pass backwards.

I honestly think there’s no substitute for pace as it gives a team options and the space / time to exploit them.

• lesh

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:06 AM

For information and the avoidance of doubt, I haven’t got a problem with Ed’s groundrules for the blog. But I and one or two others I’m sure, object to the law being applied to some and not others.

There are a couple who appear on here who slip in the odd and targeted snipe (no names Jiblets, Betttys, Nufc83 among other alts) and I’m sorry, I will respond- especially at a time when blatant lies are being peddled in the name of news.

Enough though, and in summary, what applies to one must apply to all.

• Jib

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:12 AM

• martoon

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:12 AM

Nice to see we’re joint second in this league table.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:19 AM

Whoops what Jib, this is where you fall down, he’s from Whiteleas, a sprawling post WW2 council estate on the outskirts of South Shields, nowhere near Westoe, if his dad worked there he would have been picked up by bus unless he was a gaffer and had his own car.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:22 AM

lesh,
    There’s no need to mention the pair of guys in charge of the main parties, they’re both very divisive figures and have no place on here, surely you can see that.

• Jib

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:23 AM

Because Maguire went to Harton School and his dad
    and brother worked down Westoe pit I said he was
    from Westoe
    He was actually brought up in Rodin Avenue Whiteleas estate
    2 miles from Westoe

Jail for Ashley
    Jib claimed he was from Westoe, he couldn’t be any further from Westoe

Really

• Jib

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:25 AM

Frenchy and Jail should form a “nitpicking” group
    Only small – minded bores need apply

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:37 AM

Yes Jib, like you do with a lot of stuff you post. You post things as a font of all knowledge unless someone knows different, you should have googled him a bit more. Nobody gets things right all the time, after all we’re not, most of us anyway Oxford or Cambridge graduates. The difference with you is that you sneer at someone else’s perceived lack of knowledge when quite frankly you’re thick as foot. It wouldn’t be so noticable if you weren’t constantly pulling people about their lack of knowledge.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:38 AM

Lesh………… Although we probably don’t agree on much as has been well established on here, I do agree with your earlier post regarding censorship and the recent policy of scrutinising every word that’s posted now.
    I posted a vey long comment a few days ago with no mention of the P word but it must have contained something taboo as it wasn’t accepted. My thoughts were also along the lines of, ” I can’t be asred with this anymore.”
    I think if you are honest you will agree that you have dropped in many P based comments over the years completely out of context and irrelevant to the discussion in hand and I and others have rightfully challenged you on them. I don’t therefore agree with or accept with your post @61.

I do believe that the blog was a better place when it was self regulatory as there were very few incidents however out of order they were, that we didn’t manage to sort out amongst ourselves. Persistent abusive and deliberately disruptive behaviour obviously was dealt with by Ed.
    I have to say that I am not comfortable with this new policing method where posts are wiped out if a forbidden word is uttered even though I agree that certain topics should be kept off limits.
    I will therefore have to consider whether the new regime and rules enforcement, whereby to relax totally and just say what’s on your mind is no longer possible, is any longer the fun it used to be on here

• Jib

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:43 AM

I don’t constantly pull people about their lack of knowledge.
    Just you cos you’re a fake
    You only go to games to go on the drink away from your wife and kids
    who you don’t see for 2 weeks in every four.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:44 AM

swallocks,
    It seems like it’s just you and lesh that are unhappy with politics being banned. I think they were banned because of you two. The other night you deliberately and completely off topic suggested that one of the leaders would do something bad for football. You 100% posted that to get a rise from lesh which in turn gets back s long winded political post from him. Why?

• Ron Knee

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM

The word Sc..thorpe gets you blocked.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Yes Jib, going to the football makes me a thoroughly bad parent. Shame about the tw@t running the club or the three of us would have tickets in the family enclosure.

• martoon

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:52 AM

I think it’s good that certain words have been blocked to stop the ‘p’ word being discussed. It’s a bit rich Lesh & Betty complaining about it when they were the two worst protagonists and probably the reason why it was introduced!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:57 AM

martoon,
    I think the big difference was me going with Vardy this weekend when most went for Abraham. I remember Vardy having a good record against Arsenal. Shame I never realised that Man City have thumped West Ham three years on the bounce when captaining Wilson instead of Sterling, cost me fifteen points and a top three place that has 🙁

• bettyswallocks

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:07 AM

Jail………. I explained why . He gave a long political lecture full of far left propaganda to OLG in reply to a simple question so I therefore decided to give him a satirical , tongue in cheek dig.

As I said I agree that this site is not a place to discuss politics but it just feels like Big Brother is constantly watching now which I don’t feel comfortable with.

• lesh

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:14 AM

Betty’s

I don’t recall posting an out of context comment as you suggested. Perhaps you haven’t seen the connection whatever it may or may not have been.

And Jail, I have made it clearly many times that C is a liability!

Enough.

• lesh

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Betty’s

One man’s opinion is a other man’s opinion!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:18 AM

Yes Jib, if he was any further from Westoe he wouldn’t be in South Shields, as I said, Westoe is pretty much town centre and Whiteleas is on the outskirts of town, so unless he lived outside of South Shields he could not possibly live any further away from Westoe unless you say he lived at number 10 as opposed to say, number 9.